Send Topic Print
War Crimes Report (Read 15585 times)
Prime Minister for Canyons
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
War Crimes Report
Nov 12th, 2020 at 1:00pm

https://www.news.com.au/national/politics/scott-morrisons-warning-ahead-of-austr...

Scott Morrison has warned the nation to prepare for allegations of “serious and possibly criminal conduct” by Australia’s defence force in Afghanistan that could see soldiers prosecuted for unlawful killings.

The Prime Minister revealed today a special investigator will be appointed to consider allegations of war crimes by Australia’s soldiers in the Middle East following the completion of a long-running defence investigation into the claims.

“This is going to be very difficult for Australians. It is going to be very difficult for our serving community and our veterans community,’’ Mr Morrison said.

In a time of universal deceit — telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

No evidence whatsoever it can be attributed to George Orwell or Eric Arthur Blair (in fact the same guy)

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Re: War Crimes Report
Reply #1 - Nov 12th, 2020 at 1:06pm

Lot of police gonna get shot.

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Prime Minister for Canyons
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #2 - Nov 12th, 2020 at 1:10pm

Anyone with a functioning brain care to comment?

In a time of universal deceit — telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

No evidence whatsoever it can be attributed to George Orwell or Eric Arthur Blair (in fact the same guy)

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #3 - Nov 12th, 2020 at 1:32pm

Would in South America Wink

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #4 - Nov 12th, 2020 at 1:44pm

I want to know who the special investigator is for a start.

In one way it's good to see that Australia is finding its balls when it comes to this issue, at least, and is stating clearly that no outside body will be involved in any prosecution or perhaps investigation.

Stripping of medals is serious sh1t, and is applicable considering that the receipt of such is dependent on honourable service.  My issue with that is that when you expect people to be repeatedly committed to a bad situation that has no real end in sight other than "killing Taliban", you are part of the problem and not of the solution - and our governments respective and their agencies such as D^D/ADF need to be held accountable for their practices and doctrine.

I said before that our SAS, for instance, was heavily committed to operations that could be done by well-trained Infantry - and were not engaged in a genuine 'hearts and minds' operation that the Regiment is (purportedly) trained for.  This battlesphere, Afghanistan with all its complexities of tribal interests/relationships and money interest via poppy crops etc, does not really submit itself to such a campaign anyway, and so there was little to no real impetus to any genuine embedded 'hearts and minds' such as was nearly the case in the immediate invasion period, where SF were 'embedded' with indigenous groups to wage an assymetric war against a clearly defined 'Taliban'.

Assymetric is as assymetric does, sir... and part of the essence of it is that it is tailored to each individual situation.

I feel that the repeated commitment of often the same Special Forces soldiers (from whom I exclude Commandos as being highly trained light infantry - not for any reason of ego issues etc) over and over to the same endless battlesphere under the conditions imposed and with the clear knowledge that much of this was about the annual cycle of poppy crops that determine alliances and loyalties and even resistance - is a major part of the problem.

Government must take full responsibility for this, as well as for their penchant for sending Special Forces so as to make a splash and a 'statement' in the media about how 'tough' the government is on 'bad guys'.

I say there is major opportunity to find extenuating circumstances here - which does not take away personal responsibility, but only mitigates it.

I think the men have suffered enough.

I am preparing for an online interview - Ah'll Be Bach!
« Last Edit: Nov 12th, 2020 at 1:52pm by Grappler Truth Teller Feller »  

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #5 - Nov 12th, 2020 at 1:48pm

That's why Barbarian Hordes won their fair share of battles with well trained Armies. They didn't have to play by the rules. Just ask Hannibal.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #6 - Nov 12th, 2020 at 1:51pm

When you unleash the dogs of war they will always go rogue.

That's what Apocalypse Now was all about.

What are they going to say about him?
Are they going to say he was a kind man?
He was a wise man? He had plans?
He had wisdom? Bullshit, man!
Am I going to be the one to set him straight?
Look at me - wrong.
YOU.

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Nov 12th, 2020 at 2:09pm

The SAS guy shot an unarmed Afghan who was on the ground - there's a vid of it

The order should have been: "Don't shoot him, leave him alive till we find out all about him"

Our Lives Are Governed By The Feast & Famine Variable

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #8 - Nov 12th, 2020 at 2:21pm

Bias_2012 wrote on Nov 12th, 2020 at 2:09pm:

The order should have been: "Don't shoot him, leave him alive till we find out all about him"

No. He was a captured Terrorist and they didn't have room for him on the chopper. You wouldn't just let a terrorist go free - he could find a gun and shoot up at your packed chopper. No Military in their right mind would take that risk. Nuts!

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Nov 12th, 2020 at 2:22pm

On what was shown, that seems to be a clear violation of all rules.  What we don't know is if a full investigation was carried out at the time, and every aspect looked at.  Was alcohol or drugs consumed the night before?

I recall hearing the shooter ask what to do with this guy, but I don't recall hearing a response... and it took him 2-3 seconds from asking to shooting... doesn't look good.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - Nov 12th, 2020 at 2:25pm

Jasin wrote on Nov 12th, 2020 at 2:21pm:

No. He was a captured Terrorist and they didn't have room for him on the chopper. You wouldn't just let a terrorist go free - he could find a gun and shoot up at your packed chopper. No Military in their right mind would take that risk. Nuts!

He was a detainee with no weapon - there was no way of knowing he was a Terrorist, and therefore the proper response would be to release him after photographing him.  Without a clear weapon and clear conflict immediately prior - the trooper had no way of determining the true status of that man. 

A weapon unused is an everyday event and a fashion accessory for every Afghan, and phones are a dime a dozen and used for countless reasons.

You cannot make that call, JaSin.

As for 'no room on the chopper' I've commented before about running a war on a shoestring.

― John Adams

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #11 - Nov 12th, 2020 at 2:41pm

Jasin wrote on Nov 12th, 2020 at 2:21pm:

No. He was a captured Terrorist and they didn't have room for him on the chopper.
You wouldn't just let a terrorist go free - he could find a gun and shoot up at your packed chopper. No Military in their right mind would take that risk. Nuts!

Even if he quickly found and could use a weapon why
would he shoot at a chopper full of his friends?

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - Nov 12th, 2020 at 2:52pm

The troop carrying capacity of a Blackhawk is eleven - take out one for the C&C guy earning his medals at 5000 feet above the action - an SAS Patrol (a designated unit) is four men - so it is not unreasonable to assume that with two Patrols (eight - a not uncommon size for patrols/operations) on the ground, there were possibly two empty spaces.

Without knowing what backup/air support was in play, it is impossible to even approach the statement that 'there was no room on the chopper'.

― John Adams

IP Logged

Belgarion
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - Nov 12th, 2020 at 3:08pm

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Nov 12th, 2020 at 1:44pm:
I want to know who the special investigator is for a start.

In one way it's good to see that Australia is finding its balls when it comes to this issue, at least, and is stating clearly that no outside body will be involved in any prosecution or perhaps investigation.

Stripping of medals is serious sh1t, and is applicable considering that the receipt of such is dependent on honourable service.  My issue with that is that when you expect people to be repeatedly committed to a bad situation that has no real end in sight other than "killing Taliban", you are part of the problem and not of the solution - and our governments respective and their agencies such as D^D/ADF need to be held accountable for their practices and doctrine.

I said before that our SAS, for instance, was heavily committed to operations that could be done by well-trained Infantry - and were not engaged in a genuine 'hearts and minds' operation that the Regiment is (purportedly) trained for.  This battlesphere, Afghanistan with all its complexities of tribal interests/relationships and money interest via poppy crops etc, does not really submit itself to such a campaign anyway, and so there was little to no real impetus to any genuine embedded 'hearts and minds' such as was nearly the case in the immediate invasion period, where SF were 'embedded' with indigenous groups to wage an assymetric war against a clearly defined 'Taliban'.

Assymetric is as assymetric does, sir... and part of the essence of it is that it is tailored to each individual situation.

I feel that the repeated commitment of often the same Special Forces soldiers (from whom I exclude Commandos as being highly trained light infantry - not for any reason of ego issues etc) over and over to the same endless battlesphere under the conditions imposed and with the clear knowledge that much of this was about the annual cycle of poppy crops that determine alliances and loyalties and even resistance - is a major part of the problem.

Government must take full responsibility for this, as well as for their penchant for sending Special Forces so as to make a splash and a 'statement' in the media about how 'tough' the government is on 'bad guys'.

I say there is major opportunity to find extenuating circumstances here - which does not take away personal responsibility, but only mitigates it.

I think the men have suffered enough.

I am preparing for an online interview - Ah'll Be Bach!

This says it all I think. For a man to be sent on multiple tours of Afghanistan and to see no progress whatsoever for his efforts and with no end in sight would be utterly soul destroying. It's not surprising that a few would go off the rails.  This is not to excuse such conduct, but it is a mitigating circumstance. 

Also, it's rather premature to talk of stripping medals when no one has been found guilty of anything as yet.

"I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

Voltaire.....(possibly)

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #14 - Nov 12th, 2020 at 6:30pm

Here's the original look-seer:-

The Honourable Justice Paul Le Gay Brereton, AM RFD - Deputy President

Justice BreretonJustice Brereton was appointed a Member of the Defence Force Discipline Tribunal on 5 August 2013, and Deputy President on 4 April 2019.

Justice Brereton was admitted as a solicitor in New South Wales in 1982, was called to the Bar in 1987, and appointed Senior Counsel in 1998. He was appointed a judge of the Supreme Court of New South Wales in 2005, where he is assigned to the Equity Division and is the Corporations List Judge and the Adoptions List Judge. He is one of three joint authors of the current edition of Nygh's Conflict of Laws in Australia.

He enlisted in the Army Reserve in Sydney University Regiment in 1975, and was commissioned in the Royal Australian Infantry in 1979. He has served as Second-in-command Sydney University Regiment (1994-6), Commanding Officer 4th/3rd Battalion, the Royal New South Wales Regiment (1997-99), Chief of Staff 5th Brigade (2004-5), Assistant Chief of Staff Land Headquarters (2006-7), and Commander 5th Brigade (2008-10). He was promoted Major General In December 2010 on appointment to his current posting as Head, Cadet Reserve and Employer Support Division.

He was appointed a Member of the Order of Australia in the Military Division in 2010 for exceptional service as Chief of Staff 5th Brigade, Assistant Chief of Staff Land Headquarters and Commander 5th Brigade.

― John Adams

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 19
Send Topic Print