Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 21
Send Topic Print
Unions create unemployment (Read 23965 times)
Jest
Gold Member

Australian Politics

NSW South Coast
Re: Unions create unemployment
Reply #30 - Nov 1st, 2020 at 9:08am

Dnarever wrote on Nov 1st, 2020 at 8:56am:
freediver wrote on Nov 1st, 2020 at 7:57am:
You lied Dna. Being more careful with your union-inspired deception now doesn't change this. Here are two lies you told - that there were more unemployed than there would have been without the rate cuts, and that the job losses were a result of people "voting with their feet".

Dnarever wrote on Oct 17th, 2020 at 6:47pm:
freediver wrote on Oct 17th, 2020 at 6:39pm:
Quote:
That's funny, I recall hearing the same argument FOR cutting penalty rates. But when rates were cut, it was found that they didn't create a single job ... instead there were more unemployed.

Do you think there were more unemployed than there would have been without the rate cuts?

Yes definitely the loss of jobs was industry specific. People walked and it hurt the industry.

The data shows that employees voted with their feet.

Here is another lie. I am not sure what idiotic logic you use to justify it, but it is still a lie.

Dnarever wrote on Oct 17th, 2020 at 8:35pm:
There is a mountain of evidence that shows wage increases do not impact employment numbers, the employer side make the claim with every wage increase and when it happens the outcome fails to support this claim.

The reason is that business will employ the number of people that they need. They do not employ people they don't need when wages are low and they do not sack people that they do need when wages increase.

Dnarever wrote on Oct 31st, 2020 at 11:44pm:
Quote:
Who but a unionist would believe that  a company only ever needs a fixed amount of employees

Nobody ever said or inferred this. Obviously the numbers vary. The statement that employers do not employ people they don't need or sack people that they do need has nothing to do with a fixed amount of employees but applies to a snapshot situation. Obviously numbers change as the business changes.

Yes, they will change as the business becomes more or less profitable, for example due to changes in award rates.

Quote:
Two of my statements were labelled as lies but they were both 100% correct.

You lied. Now you are pretending you said something else. Let's make it three of your statements, and you are now following it up with more lies.

Quote:
The lead argument on the topic is built on a faulty foundation.

It is built on the most fundamental and universally accepted principle in economics. You should not even need any formal education in economics to understand it. Yet the unions promote ignorance and self delusion in order to reject this principle.

Quote:
Comment 1: No he is correct. Jobs in these industries went down in this period. That is fact.

You are lying on behalf of the unions. Again. You are changing what was said. Why are you so fond of the unions if they need you to lie constantly on their behalf?

Quote:
Comment 2: An increase to the Australian minimum wage has never seen unemployment increase.

Another lie.

Quote:
You hear these economist statements trotted out by the righties year after year

Having half a brain does not make you right wing. Understanding economics does not make you right wing. You delude yourself again if you think half the population rejects these economic principles with you because they are on the left.

The definition of a lie isn't saying something that you disagree with.

Your Economic theory is just that theory, there are real world examples showing that it does not always work and in some areas it has never worked. Miss-applied theory spread with a wide brush  in areas where it wont apply is dangerous.

The example here is penalty rate reductions.

Here it was not possible to build a business model where employing additional staff or opening for additional hours would be viable based on the dynamics of the change.

Opening hours is more dependant on demand, selling nothing for more hours makes no sense and as stated before employing additional people when you have a full roster operating to an optimal level employing people you do not need makes no sense  (increasing overhead for no gain) unless you can drive up demand or properly justify additional hours.

However reducing peoples take home wage does have an impact at the other end where it will have an adverse impact on productivity and make industry employment less desirable to both current and new employees. More difficult to keep current employees and more difficult to onboard quality new employees with the associated costs and adverse performance dynamics and associated business damage and increased overhead costs.

The basis of your economic theory is not incorrect but the issue is that real life is much more complex. There are always other factors and they are often much more dominant.

In this instance the actual outcome lines up with my belief and not the theoretic result based on a single dynamic.

I really dont understand why anyone bothers with this fool freediver. The guy's a shameless charlatan. Truth doesn't mean anything to him. All he's interested in is spreading his cheap propaganda against the common man. A really hateful character.

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #31 - Nov 1st, 2020 at 9:13am

freediver wrote on Nov 1st, 2020 at 9:06am:
Quote:
Here it was not possible to build a business model where employing additional staff or opening for additional hours would be viable based on the dynamics of the change.

You are dribbling.

Show me a model where the penalty rate drop could justify additional employment or Hours ?

The business community Cleary stated that it would not do this after the Fair work decision had been made even though they argued the opposite to the hearing.

Your insistence that one single theory is a one size fits all guaranteed result is where we see the dribbling.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #32 - Nov 1st, 2020 at 9:16am

Quote:
Show me a model where the penalty rate drop could justify additional employment or Hours ?

You are asking me to explain the bleeding obvious. You do realise that, right?

Quote:
The business community Cleary stated that it would not do this after the Fair work decision had been made even though they argued the opposite to the hearing.

Do you know how I can tell you are lying without even looking into it? It's when you attribute specific statements to an amorphous group of people.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #33 - Nov 1st, 2020 at 9:17am

freediver wrote on Nov 1st, 2020 at 9:07am:
John Smith wrote on Nov 1st, 2020 at 9:04am:
freediver wrote on Nov 1st, 2020 at 8:57am:
Your own evidence supports what I say John. It's not cherry picking. It is reality.

no, you're cherry picking. If you have evidence it created work, knock yourself out. Until then, I'll just continue to laugh at your desperation.

Like I said, I have evidence. Your article.

Just as I said, you HAVE NOTHING

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #34 - Nov 1st, 2020 at 9:18am

John Smith wrote on Nov 1st, 2020 at 9:17am:
Your own evidence supports what I say John. It's not cherry picking. It is reality.

no, you're cherry picking. If you have evidence it created work, knock yourself out. Until then, I'll just continue to laugh at your desperation.

You asked for evidence. You got exactly what you asked for, so you whined about cherry picking.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #35 - Nov 1st, 2020 at 9:20am

freediver wrote on Nov 1st, 2020 at 9:18am:

You asked for evidence. You got exactly what you asked for, so you whined about cherry picking.

Your evidence is what you provided ... a bit fat nothing.

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #36 - Nov 1st, 2020 at 9:22am

Penalty rate cuts have not created one single job

The Commission, in addition to business groups, argued the cuts will lead to economic growth and an increase in jobs and work hours.

However, this week the small business lobby admitted none of that has happened.

Council of Small Business Australia chief executive Peter Strong said the reduction in workers’ pay has been a “waste of time” and had not created one single job.

“There’s no extra jobs on a Sunday.

“There’s been no extra hours. Certainly, I don’t know anyone (who gave workers extra hours).

“It’s been just a waste of time.”

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #37 - Nov 1st, 2020 at 9:23am

John Smith wrote on Nov 1st, 2020 at 9:20am:

Wait, are you actually complaining because I used the article you posted to back up what I say?

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #38 - Nov 1st, 2020 at 9:24am

Quote:
However reducing peoples take home wage does have an impact at the other end where it will have an adverse impact on productivity and make industry employment less desirable to both current and new employees.

You pushed this lie before, attributing the jobs decline to people "voting with their feet". It is a lie. You cannot back it up. They lost their jobs because the companies could not afford to continue employing them.

Yet we see at this time every other industry basically kept employment rates increasing at the same rate as before while the impacted industries seen job losses and at best stagnation across the board.

Again the facts are not your friend.

You argue that these industries that had just got a wages drop windfall in their pockets became less profitable and had to sack people across the board, isn't this the opposite to what your theory is saying would happen ?

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #39 - Nov 1st, 2020 at 9:25am

greggerypeccary wrote on Nov 1st, 2020 at 9:22am:

The Commission, in addition to business groups, argued the cuts will lead to economic growth and an increase in jobs and work hours.

Council of Small Business Australia chief executive Peter Strong said the reduction in workers’ pay has been a “waste of time” and had not created one single job.

“There’s been no extra hours. Certainly, I don’t know anyone (who gave workers extra hours).

Greg didn't want to miss out on the opportunity to tell lies on behalf of the union.

And speaking on behalf of unions, he felt no shame in using ignorance as evidence. I expect the irony will be lost.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #40 - Nov 1st, 2020 at 9:26am

Dnarever wrote on Nov 1st, 2020 at 9:24am:
Quote:
However reducing peoples take home wage does have an impact at the other end where it will have an adverse impact on productivity and make industry employment less desirable to both current and new employees.

You pushed this lie before, attributing the jobs decline to people "voting with their feet". It is a lie. You cannot back it up. They lost their jobs because the companies could not afford to continue employing them.

Yet we see at this time every other industry basically kept employment rates increasing at the same rate as before while the impacted industries seen job losses and at best stagnation across the board.

Again the facts are not your friend.

You argue that these industries that had just got a wages drop windfall in their pockets became less profitable and had to sack people across the board, isn't this the opposite to what your theory is saying would happen ?

No. You merely misunderstand the theory. Perhaps it is too subtle for you.

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #41 - Nov 1st, 2020 at 9:34am

freediver wrote on Nov 1st, 2020 at 9:16am:
Quote:

You are asking me to explain the bleeding obvious. You do realise that, right?

Quote:

Do you know how I can tell you are lying without even looking into it? It's when you attribute specific statements to an amorphous group of people.

The articles from business groups were posted at the time - it is real. 

I asked you to explain nothing just to show me a workable business model. That is black and white. I can save you the time and tell you it cannot be done using a realistic scenario. There is only one exception and it only works at the very top end and not in small to medium businesses.

That is if you can use economy of scale to generate enough saving from penalty rate cuts to finance additional overhead in either hours or wages.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #42 - Nov 1st, 2020 at 9:40am

freediver wrote on Nov 1st, 2020 at 9:25am:
greggerypeccary wrote on Nov 1st, 2020 at 9:22am:

Greg didn't want to miss out on the opportunity to tell lies on behalf of the union.

And speaking on behalf of unions, he felt no shame in using ignorance as evidence. I expect the irony will be lost.

That was an extract from the chief executive of the council of small business. .. an employer group, not a union, that lobbied for penalty rate cuts in the first place Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Our esteemed leader:

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #43 - Nov 1st, 2020 at 9:42am

freediver wrote on Nov 1st, 2020 at 9:23am:
John Smith wrote on Nov 1st, 2020 at 9:20am:

Wait, are you actually complaining because I used the article you posted to back up what I say?

you haven't used anything. .. all you've done is flap your gums. Post the evidence FD, otherwise stop pretending.

Our esteemed leader:

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #44 - Nov 1st, 2020 at 9:45am

From your article:

Quote:
A new analysis finds the lower rates did not lead to significant new jobs

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 21
Send Topic Print