Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Australian Native Plants (Read 1596 times)
Jasin
Gold Member

Re: Australian Native Plants
Reply #15 - Oct 27th, 2020 at 9:20am

Jovial Monk wrote on Oct 27th, 2020 at 8:39am:
You wanted Gondwanan plants! I gave you one that used to grow in Australia when Gondwana existed!

Not invited. Go away to your C&C with your plants.

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Neferti
Gold Member

Canberra
Reply #16 - Oct 27th, 2020 at 9:37am

Gordon wrote on Oct 27th, 2020 at 9:16am:
This is the one I was thinking of

Doryanthes excelsa or “Gymea Lily”

https://www.anbg.gov.au/gnp/gnp12/doryanthes-excelsa.html

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #17 - Oct 27th, 2020 at 9:42am

Neferti wrote on Oct 27th, 2020 at 9:37am:
Gordon wrote on Oct 27th, 2020 at 9:16am:
This is the one I was thinking of

Doryanthes excelsa or “Gymea Lily”

https://www.anbg.gov.au/gnp/gnp12/doryanthes-excelsa.html

I heard that its illegal to take one from the wild?
Gotta pay a nursery instead.
Just like its illegal to pitch a tent anyway for free, but you have to go to Caravan Park to pay $35 for a patch of ground a night.

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Neferti
Gold Member

Canberra
Reply #18 - Oct 27th, 2020 at 3:07pm

Black kangaroo paw - Macropidia

Yeah it's real! Black furry buds open to green flowers in this wonderful native kangaroo paw. A little tricky in subtropical gardens but worth the effort - and very rewarding in dry zone climates.

IP Logged

Bobby.

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #19 - Oct 27th, 2020 at 3:09pm

Good one Nef,
I'd never seen that before.

IP Logged

Neferti
Gold Member

Canberra
Reply #20 - Oct 27th, 2020 at 3:10pm

Correa alba

Neat native shrub or hedge, a winter magnet for native birds, and a great garden plant for its long flowering season in cooler months. Low maintenance too.

IP Logged

Neferti
Gold Member

Canberra
Reply #21 - Oct 27th, 2020 at 3:12pm

Elaeocarpus Prima Donna - blueberry ash

Stunning native rainforest tree with soft pink flowers and outstanding evergreen foliage, bronze when new. Smaller tree to 4-5m on average, with a slender shape, great for feature planting. High pest and disease resistance, low maintenance. Also known as Blueberry ash or native quandong.

IP Logged

Neferti
Gold Member

Canberra
Reply #22 - Oct 27th, 2020 at 4:17pm

Flora

Most of the Gondwanan forests were replaced by tough-leaved open forests of eucalypts and acacias. Some isolated remnants of the ancient Gondwanan forests remain. These include the cool and warm temperate rainforests of Tasmania and eastern Australia and the dry rainforests or scrub forests of northern Australia. These forests have high conservation values.

In 1994, the Wollemi Pine was found in a remote valley in the Blue Mountains of New South Wales. It is believed to be representative of a now extinct group of trees that existed at the time of the dinosaurs, making it a species that has been around for 65 million years.

There are now an estimated 20 000 vascular and 7700 non-vascular plants, and 250 000 species of fungi in Australia. Plants include living fossils such as the cycad palm and the grass tree, and brilliant wildflowers such as the waratah, Sturt’s desert pea, banksia and kangaroo paws.

Australia has over 1000 species of acacia, which Australians call ‘wattle’, and around 2800 species in the Myrtaceaefamily, which includes eucalypts (or gum trees) and melaleucas.

Wildflowers, including everlasting daisies, turn the arid and savanna grassland areas of Australia into carpets of colour after rain. Native forests are limited to wetter coastal districts, and rainforests are found mainly in Queensland.

The high diversity of flora includes large numbers of species in ecologically significant genera such as Acacia,Eucalyptus, Melaleuca, Grevillea and Allocasuarina. Acacias tend to dominate in drier inland parts of Australia, while eucalypts dominate in wetter parts. Australia’s unique flora includes the Proteaceae family of Banksia, Dryandra,Grevillea, Hakea and Telopea (waratah).

The most common vegetation types today are those that have adapted to arid conditions, where the land has not been cleared for agriculture. The dominant type of vegetation in Australia—23 per cent—is the hummock grasslands in Western Australia, South Australia and the Northern Territory. In the east eucalypt woodlands are prevalent, and in the west there are Acacia forests, woodlands and shrublands. Tussock grasslands are found largely in Queensland.

Info courtesy of http://www.dfat.gov.au/facts/flora_and_fauna.html

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #23 - Oct 31st, 2020 at 8:40am

Oh! I have Red, Yellow and 'native' Kangaroo Paw.
Gonna see if I can get Black as well.
Thank's Nef.

Maybe you should have been Mod of C&C?

...wouldn't that sting the Monk more than I  Wink

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print