Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 ... 40
Send Topic Print
What has the clergy been up to? (Read 61383 times)
Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Re: What has the clergy been up to?
Reply #420 - Mar 31st, 2022 at 6:11pm

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

aquascoot
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #421 - Mar 31st, 2022 at 6:18pm

people who are bible thumpers turn me off the bible.

people who do nothing but post smug leftie intellectual elitism (like brian) turn me off leftie intellectualism.

both are ideologically obsessed and should be seen as 'cautionary tales"

IP Logged

Ayn Marx
Gold Member

Australian Politics

South of Australia
Reply #422 - Mar 31st, 2022 at 7:30pm

aquascoot wrote on Mar 31st, 2022 at 6:18pm:
people who are bible thumpers turn me off the bible.

people who do nothing but post smug leftie intellectual elitism (like brian) turn me off leftie intellectualism.

both are ideologically obsessed and should be seen as 'cautionary tales"

I’m puzzled as to how you can include theological delusions and the power structures built around them as ideologically obsessed. A wide range of mystically inspired idiocy in not ideology.

The Human Race is Insane

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #423 - Apr 6th, 2022 at 6:04pm

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #424 - Apr 6th, 2022 at 9:33pm

Brian Ross wrote on Apr 6th, 2022 at 6:04pm:

ABC wankery. Accusations and..... er..... that's it. Bitching.

Estragon: I can’t go on like this.
Vladimir: That’s what you think.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #425 - Apr 6th, 2022 at 9:43pm

Frank wrote on Apr 6th, 2022 at 9:33pm:
Brian Ross wrote on Apr 6th, 2022 at 6:04pm:

ABC wankery. Accusations and..... er..... that's it. Bitching.

Altar boy much?

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #426 - Apr 21st, 2022 at 8:02pm

Church Adds Laugh Track After Pastor's Jokes

HILLSDALE, IA—Christ Church of the Hills live-streams their sermons every Sunday. One thing that is missing, though, is audience laughter at all of the pastor's hilarious jokes. To make the live-streamed sermon feel more real to the audience, the pastor has instructed the tech team to add a laugh track after each of his jokes.

"How do we know that God loves baseball? Because the Bible starts with 'in the big inning!'" Pastor Jim joked Sunday morning, followed by uproarious laughter from the laugh track. The laugh track crescendoed into a fever pitch of guffaws and delighted screaming at how hilarious he was. "Why couldn't Cain please God? Because he wasn't Abel!" The laugh track nearly died from how funny that one was, cracking up for over a minute. "Get it? Abel? Like able?"

According to sources among the church's members, nobody at home was laughing, but that was alright because the laugh track did all the heavy lifting for them.

Christ Church isn't the only one that's doing this. More pastors are really having trouble preaching as they're used to their congregations laughing really, really hard at all of their incredibly clever quips, puns, and jokes they got out of a sermon joke book. Churches everywhere have adopted Christ Church's approach and are throwing in laugh tracks and "Amen" tracks to make the sermons "really come alive."

Unfortunately, Jim's joke about Boaz being "Ruth-less" bombed hard, and even the laugh track refused to laugh.

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #427 - May 5th, 2022 at 10:07am

The Pell case is a contemporary Australian version of the infamous Dreyfus case in 19th century France

What’s not both to enthral and repel in this story of Australian Catholicism’s greatest churchman, brought low by an allegation of child sex abuse, humiliated and imprisoned, only to be vindicated, triumphantly, by a seven-nil High Court verdict to the effect that he should never have been investigated, never have been charged, never have been convicted and never have been gaoled. What was really on trial here was the Australian system of justice: how susceptible it was to public hysteria, media stereotyping and lynch-mob justice so at odds with the traditional presumption of innocence. The verdict, albeit only at the last gasp, thanks to the High Court, is that it’s still capable of delivering justice according to law; but not before a fine man had had his reputation officially trashed, several years of his life stolen, and massive legal bills incurred that he has yet to re-pay. Yes, the cardinal had a win – but this was not a fight he should ever have been in.

Only because the Catholic Church had been judged collectively guilty of institutionalised sexual abuse and, therefore, needed to be punished; and only because Pell had become the personification of that church was a process put in place that, until its very end, but for his faith in divine providence and in his own innocence, would have put the cardinal into a very dark place. Of course, in the sloppily disciplined post-Vatican II church of the Sixties and Seventies there does seem to have been an unusually large number of pedophiles exploiting the cover and the opportunities of clerical life. And because abuse at the hands of God’s servants is such a monstrous betrayal, it’s to the church’s particular shame that this wasn’t realised and acted upon sooner. Paradoxically, Pell was actually one of the very first senior churchmen anywhere in the world to confront it directly: sacking deviant priests and reporting them to the police rather than simply forgiving their sins while moving them on.
The idea that a fifty-something archbishop, of exemplary life and reputation, would or could slip out of the procession concluding High Mass; and, without anyone noticing, sneak back into the sacristy to commit enormities on two unknown 13-year-old choirboys, all while fully robed and in the space of six minutes, was never credible. Especially when a succession of witnesses testified to Pell’s invariable practice of going to the front of the cathedral to greet parishioners. What’s extraordinary is the lengths to which Victoria Police went on operation ‘Get Pell’: launching an investigation without a complaint; advertising for victims; disregarding and ignoring contrary evidence; and leaking to the media.

The fact that this vendetta was led by two police officers who went on to become successive chief commissioners says everything about the sorry state of Victorian officialdom. In any system that valued integrity, the current commissioner would have resigned in shame for sponsoring such an obviously flawed and prejudiced prosecution; as would the appeal judges who were so blind to such palpable faults.

But as always in the people’s republic of Victoria, no one takes any responsibility or accepts any blame; the public seems to accept that there’s ‘nothing to see here’; and the plethora of entities from the parliamentary opposition down that should hold officialdom to account are incapable of anything other than futile hand-wringing.

The media pile-on, particularly from the ABC: ‘The campaign against Pell was unrelenting across its main television (7.30, Four Corners, Lateline, News Breakfast) and radio (AM, The World Today, PM, Radio National Breakfast) outlets. The ABC also commissioned special programs which contained attacks on Pell –…Unholy Silence…Guilty…plus…Goliath.’ The conferral of a Walkley Award on one of the anti-Pell diatribes, Fallen – even after the High Court’s dismissal of the case against him – exemplified the intractable media hostility to Pell.
https://www.spectator.com.au/2022/04/presumption-of-guilt/

IP Logged

buzzanddidj
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Eganstown, via Daylesford, VIC
Reply #428 - May 9th, 2022 at 11:58am

Frank wrote on May 5th, 2022 at 10:07am:
The Pell case is a contemporary Australian version of the infamous Dreyfus case in 19th century France

https://www.spectator.com.au/2022/04/presumption-of-guilt/

Authored by Australia's mos famous faux-christian,
Tony Abbot

Give us a BREAK !

George Pell: cardinal was aware of children being sexually abused, royal commission report finds

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2020/may/07/george-pell-cardinal-was-...

'I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians.
Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.'

- Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #429 - May 9th, 2022 at 3:45pm

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #430 - May 9th, 2022 at 3:53pm

Brian Ross wrote on May 9th, 2022 at 3:45pm:

When they all moved to Perth, he started visiting the family at their home, with the victim — who is now in her 40s — testifying Doyle initially asked her for "back scratches" while he had his clothes on.

She said the abuse happened after they progressed to him taking his shirt off and lying down on the floor or a bed while she scratched him.

the victim had suffered psychological and spiritual damage, and had found it painful and traumatic during the court proceedings to relive what happened to her.

Back scratching and.....  er........ that's it?!?! 

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #431 - May 15th, 2022 at 1:24pm

Built-in hypocrisy and corruption:

Prostitutes and undercover journalists in Sweden have claimed that Shia imams have charged Muslims for “weddings” with prostitutes as a means to circumvent Islamic rules on sex before marriage.

Imams across the country are said to have conducted sham “pleasure marriages” to allow Muslims to engage in sexual activity with prostitutes and then ended the marriages after the sexual activity was completed.

https://www.svt.se/nyheter/granskning/ug/avslojar-shiamuslimska-imamer-i-sverige-viger-kvinnor-som-kops-for-sex

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #432 - May 19th, 2022 at 10:01pm

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #433 - May 26th, 2022 at 3:32pm

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #434 - May 26th, 2022 at 3:44pm

Brian Ross wrote on May 26th, 2022 at 3:32pm:

The 'controversy' (even the ABC puts it in scare quotes) : Christian school must be inclusive of every value except Christianity.  Tsk, tsk   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
Next, they must embrace Satanists, lest they be branded 'controversial'.

Tellingly, this is what's in the box accompanying the article:

If you or anyone you know needs help:
Lifeline (24-hour Crisis Line): 131 114
Kids Helpline on 1800 551 800
MensLine Australia on 1300 789 978
Suicide Call Back Service on 1300 659 467
Beyond Blue on 1300 224 636
Headspace on 1800 650 890
ReachOut at au.reachout.com
QLife on 1800 184 527
Care Leavers Australasia Network (CLAN) on 1800 008 774

Just confirms that all this gender dysphoria stuff IS mental ill-health.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 ... 40
Send Topic Print