Stashing cash (Read 2123 times)
Captain Nemo
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Stashing cash
Oct 16th, 2020 at 1:00pm

What a great idea!

Today on ABC News Breakfast, the finance guru who comes on each Friday (James Kirby) came up with an explanation of where all the $100 bills are ...

Turns out that cash spending is way, way down due to COVID (and has been trending down over recent years anyway) ...

BUT ...

Issues of $100 bills have tripled recently.  Shocked

So ... where is all that cash going?  Huh

His idea:

Pensioners are stashing safety deposit boxes full with $100 bills in order to keep their asset figures off the books to retain the part pension!

Genius!  Cool

The 2025 election could be a shocker.
IP Logged

Neferti
Gold Member

Canberra
Re: Stashing cash
Reply #1 - Oct 16th, 2020 at 3:49pm

I haven't seen a $100 bill since my dear old Mum used to get them from the Bank and leave a few under her phone book!  Shocked ATMs only give out $50s, if you are lucky.  Smiley

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Oct 16th, 2020 at 5:35pm

Pensioners are stashing safety deposit boxes full with $100 bills in order to keep their asset figures off the books to retain the part pension!

lol dont know anyone doing that.. this guy must know a lot of pensioners.....  I dont like cash anymore   I find if I have $50 in my purse  its gone in a couple of hours...$100 dollar bill would go the same way...

I remember being paid in cash when I worked  do not recall ever getting a $100 note even then..

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Oct 16th, 2020 at 6:30pm

He's right.

I have dozens of them stashed away.

I'm not a pensioner, but every time someone gives me a $100 bill I put it away in a drawer.

I pull them out every now and then to buy guitars.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Oct 16th, 2020 at 6:34pm

Didn't someone on here once boast that his inlaws cupboards were full of cash that they had stashed there so that they could claim the pension?

Roll Eyes

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #5 - Oct 17th, 2020 at 8:01am

I thought heaps of people started stashing the $100 bills right from when they were first printed because they are easier to save than they are to spend... not everyone has the change (as you well know even with $50's).

Survey of thousands proved that people who use Cash spend less.
Those who did the digital survey of 'tap and go' spent way more.
....that's why they want to make Australia a 'cashless' society and the Corona Virus has given them the perfect 'excuse' to force it in.

You know it's cheaper to get mugged in an Alley way than it is to be hacked online.
Alleyway loss: $50
Online loss: $5,000 to $100,000
There is no full-proof online security. China hacked through Australia's security systems easily and that was the ones protecting ASIO. The hacking rate from China is over 140,000 a day!

Wake up you clowns. China can't get its hands (nor can the USA) if we still use 'Cash'.

If Australia goes fully digital - then Australian people really will become 'cashless'. I don't have much money. But I do own a lot of Slaves to do my work for me.  Wink

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Carl D
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Rivervale, Perth
Reply #6 - Oct 17th, 2020 at 8:32am

John Smith wrote on Oct 16th, 2020 at 6:34pm:
Didn't someone on here once boast that his inlaws cupboards were full of cash that they had stashed there so that they could claim the pension?

Roll Eyes

Ah, yes. I remember that and I also remember who bragged about it but I won't say who it was.

The house was in Queensland and it sounded like every nook and cranny in the place was stuffed with "hidden cash" - about $100,000 if memory serves.

More power to them, I guess. And, I'm also guessing that they're just the 'tip of the iceberg', so to speak.

I read somewhere not long ago that the Reserve Bank has 'noticed' that a large number of 50 and 100 dollar bills haven't been in circulation for many years now and they surmised that the bills were hidden away under peoples' mattresses, etc.

Of that I have no doubt whatsoever which is probably another reason why the Federal government is trying to get everyone to go 'cashless' these days.

"Masks are sand in the gears of the economy" - some f-wit pollie or big business CEO.

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #7 - Oct 17th, 2020 at 8:54am

There would be a point where inflation and or loss of interest and investment gains would overbalance any financial advantage. Likely not too large an amount either. I suspect there are much better methods.

IP Logged

Redmond Neck
Gold Member

OzPolitic

ACT
Reply #8 - Oct 17th, 2020 at 9:05am

Roll Eyes

That was that Jewish Gmod Boer!

Andrei Hicks?

BAN ALL THESE ABO SITES RECOGNITIONS.

ALL AUSTRALIA IS FOR ALL AUSTRALIANS!

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Oct 17th, 2020 at 10:55am

Carl D wrote on Oct 17th, 2020 at 8:32am:

when police raid these drug lords..or bikie gangs  have you ever noticed the hordes of cash they find??????????... always 50s  or 100 dollar bills.....hundreds of thousands if truth be told....

Roll Eyes

Ah, yes. I remember that and I also remember who bragged about it but I won't say who it was.

The house was in Queensland and it sounded like every nook and cranny in the place was stuffed with "hidden cash" - about $100,000 if memory serves.

More power to them, I guess. And, I'm also guessing that they're just the 'tip of the iceberg', so to speak.

I read somewhere not long ago that the Reserve Bank has 'noticed' that a large number of 50 and 100 dollar bills haven't been in circulation for many years now and they surmised that the bills were hidden away under peoples' mattresses, etc.

Of that I have no doubt whatsoever which is probably another reason why the Federal government is trying to get everyone to go 'cashless' these days.

IP Logged

Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Reply #10 - Oct 17th, 2020 at 11:09am

From 2017

https://smallcaps.com.au/australia-track-hundred-note-cashless-society/

I suspect they are already doing it - they are in UK

Spot

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
- edited by some unethical admin - you think its funny? - its a slippery slope
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

The_Barnacle
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #11 - Oct 17th, 2020 at 11:21am

Dnarever wrote on Oct 17th, 2020 at 8:54am:
There would be a point where inflation and or loss of interest and investment gains would overbalance any financial advantage. Likely not too large an amount either. I suspect there are much better methods.

Inflation is very low at the moment so that wouldn't be an issue

I suspect there are people who like to be able to look at and feel their money. They don't trust electronic transactions and Banks.

I always keep a stash of cash in a safe place because if their is a failure or Bank systems, internet systems or power then we are effectively penniless.

The Right Wing only believe in free speech when they agree with what is being said.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #12 - Oct 17th, 2020 at 11:57am

Andrei Hicks was cool.  Cool
Reminded me of FD a bit.

Can you imagine all the Beggars and Buskers on the streets having an Eftpos set up for your Cards? Huh
Yeah right.  Roll Eyes

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Jovial Monk
Gold Member

Dogs not cats!

Reply #13 - Oct 17th, 2020 at 5:06pm

The_Barnacle wrote on Oct 17th, 2020 at 11:21am:
Dnarever wrote on Oct 17th, 2020 at 8:54am:

Inflation is very low at the moment so that wouldn't be an issue

I suspect there are people who like to be able to look at and feel their money. They don't trust electronic transactions and Banks.

I always keep a stash of cash in a safe place because if their is a failure or Bank systems, internet systems or power then we are effectively penniless.

If you fear losing your job, hide a stack of cash. Same approaching retirement age, buy some diamonds, first editions etc, don’t declare.

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

If you don’t like abortions ignore them like you do school shootings.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print