Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
taking gullible to the next level (Read 2259 times)
freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
taking gullible to the next level
Oct 15th, 2020 at 8:04am

I have discovered a whole new level of gullible, previously unknown to the scientific community. It involves convincing people to not only believe a lie, but become champions for a lie, without ever uttering the lie yourself, or even indirectly implying it. It is a particularly handy trick for politicians and unions, who can use it to unleash an army of liars while keeping their hands clean. Here are some recent examples:

1)

The Victorian government has proven that the BLM protestors did not spread COVID. They apparently did this by proving that the strain involved in the second wave was brought into the country several weeks before the protest, just in time for a few protestors to catch it and spread it on the day.

This lie caught out many forum members here, and perhaps even several ABC journalists, who appear to either be in on it or fooled by it.

This is the moment where Gandalf realises 20 pages in that he has been fooled, and tries to backpedal by insisting that when he said "spread" he did not mean "spread":

http://www.ozpolitic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1592208694/297#297

Here is a new thread Gandalf started for everyone to congratulate him for being so gullible:

http://www.ozpolitic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1597791358/4#4

2)

Over 50% of farmers are violating fair work laws.

Again, Gandalf was late to the charge on this lie, but ended up leading it. The logic behind it is analogous to claiming that over 50% of Muslims are terrorists, on the grounds that over 50% of Muslims who are charged with terrorism related offences get convicted. Yet for some reason presenting this analogy to Gandalf only reinforced his delusion.

This lie was used to justify union attempts to kill off the backpacker fruit picking industry, and the backpacker lifestyle. Unions did this out of the kindness of their hearts, for the backpackers' own good, and not because the workers in the industry refuse to unionise.

This may be the point where Gandalf realises he has been fooled, and decides to make it an article of faith rather than fact:

http://www.ozpolitic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1597278222/286#286

To be fair to Gandalf, many other forum members fell for it also. He just became the most vocal champion of this lie.

3)

Gandalf has found evidence that unions do not increase wage inequality.

This one is entirely Gandalf's, though again he was late to the charge and follows many forum members who stated their undying belief in this claim, without any evidence or any attempt to explain their reasoning.

I am still not entirely sure of the source of Gandalf's confusion on this one. He started by producing evidence that was completely irrelevant. He then presented evidence that is actually entirely consistent with the view that unions do indeed increase wage inequality, but that reaches the opposite conclusion by (clearly and transparently) only considering a small subset of wages.

Gnads is currently trying to derail the thread with the list of people he would jail on behalf of the unions, because they are to blame for macroeconomic cycles:

http://www.ozpolitic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1601598243/120#120

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: taking gullible to the next level
Reply #1 - Oct 15th, 2020 at 8:18am

freediver wrote on Oct 15th, 2020 at 8:04am:
I have discovered a whole new level of gullible, previously unknown to the scientific community. It involves convincing people to not only believe a lie, but become champions for a lie, without ever uttering the lie yourself, or even indirectly implying it. It is a particularly handy trick for politicians and unions, who can use it to unleash an army of liars while keeping their hands clean. Here are some recent examples:

1)

The Victorian government has proven that the BLM protestors did not spread COVID. They apparently did this by proving that the strain involved in the second wave was brought into the country several weeks before the protest, just in time for a few protestors to catch it and spread it on the day.

This lie caught out many forum members here, and perhaps even several ABC journalists, who appear to either be in on it or fooled by it.

This is the moment where Gandalf realises 20 pages in that he has been fooled, and tries to backpedal by insisting that when he said "spread" he did not mean "spread":

http://www.ozpolitic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1592208694/297#297

Here is a new thread Gandalf started for everyone to congratulate him for being so gullible:

http://www.ozpolitic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1597791358/4#4

2)

Over 50% of farmers are violating fair work laws.

Again, Gandalf was late to the charge on this lie, but ended up leading it. The logic behind it is analogous to claiming that over 50% of Muslims are terrorists, on the grounds that over 50% of Muslims who are charged with terrorism related offences get convicted. Yet for some reason presenting this analogy to Gandalf only reinforced his delusion.

This lie was used to justify union attempts to kill off the backpacker fruit picking industry, and the backpacker lifestyle. Unions did this out of the kindness of their hearts, for the backpackers' own good, and not because the workers in the industry refuse to unionise.

This may be the point where Gandalf realises he has been fooled, and decides to make it an article of faith rather than fact:

http://www.ozpolitic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1597278222/286#286

To be fair to Gandalf, many other forum members fell for it also. He just became the most vocal champion of this lie.

3)

Gandalf has found evidence that unions do not increase wage inequality.

This one is entirely Gandalf's, though again he was late to the charge and follows many forum members who stated their undying belief in this claim, without any evidence or any attempt to explain their reasoning.

I am still not entirely sure of the source of Gandalf's confusion on this one. He started by producing evidence that was completely irrelevant. He then presented evidence that is actually entirely consistent with the view that unions do indeed increase wage inequality, but that reaches the opposite conclusion by (clearly and transparently) only considering a small subset of wages.

Gnads is currently trying to derail the thread with the list of people he would jail on behalf of the unions, because they are to blame for macroeconomic cycles:

http://www.ozpolitic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1601598243/120#120

You are indeed a consummate & manipulative liar.

You asked the question I answered it.

The list of people were responsible for the GFC & that I think they deserve jailing is not on behalf of Unions.

It would be a reasonable belief for any fair minded person that they be bought to account.

White collar crime is still a crime.

Why start a new thread of lies when you could have easily just posted in the thread you reckon I'm trying to derail?  Roll Eyes

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #2 - Oct 15th, 2020 at 8:36am

I'll just address one:-

Under a system of minimum requirements in wages and conditions, there is no 'wages inequality' wrought by applying those standards... there may be small differences in final negotiated overall package (see politician salaries/package and ceo/tv presenter etc packages) - but as long as the minimums are met, there is no entrenched 'wages inequality' - same as there is no 'wage gap' for women working in the same jobs.

It is, rather - the attempts (puerile) of 'management' these days to take advantage of what they perceive as the open door that Howard seemed to offer them with his WorkChoices nonsense, and their willingness to cut corners on wages and conditions at every chance, given that they fear no regulatory body, that creates 'wage inequality'. 

Look at the recent nonsense about warehouse workers being paid different rates in different warehouses - a clear sign that attacking the Union movement causes wages inequality.

Unions do NOT control the jobs market..... they ensure the rules of that market are abided by.

There is NO workplace in this nation where 'wage inequality' is caused by Unions - it is caused by managers seeking to cut labour costs by skirting the edges of the rules and of signed and approved by government body agreements, and to alter those agreements without proper negotiation.

Look at the current 'wharf dispute' engineered by 'management (again), with the clear aim of seeking a dual end - destruction of Unions along with paying less than were the agreed rates and conditions.  The Unions did not start that one.....   Roll Eyes

Finally - freed - have you yet worked out how bizarre your reasoning is that non-Union scabs are 'strong independents able to negotiate alone' etc, given that in the current 'wharf dispute, these scabs are signing on at far LOWER rates and conditions?  That PROVES that individuals 'negotiating' with the all-powerful are nowhere near 'strong, independent and able to negotiate alone'.   Roll Eyes

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

aquascoot
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Oct 15th, 2020 at 9:54am

The biggest lie currently being swallowed by a whopping 80% of the Australian population who are in favour of it
Is that it is beneficial for the government to increase the national debt 2 finance a round of tax cuts

All government spending is taxation
Governments don't have any money of their own
So all spending is taxation

A tax cut in the setting of a 1 trillion dollar government debt
Is an economic catastrophe
That 80% of people have been swindled to believing
Is going to benefit them

It would be no different to going into Westpac bank
Asking for an extension on your mortgage
Because of financial difficulties
and having the bank manager hand you a high interest credit card
And tell you to go for it

I imagine 80% of people would have no problems with this solution either

Why isn't money management and financial management taught in schools
I would imagine it is so it is easier to lie to people

IP Logged

Jovial Monk
Gold Member

Dogs not cats!

Reply #4 - Oct 15th, 2020 at 12:18pm

You need to crack a macroeconomic textbook or two.

The tax cut is stupid but we have a government of neoliberals so is to be expected. Three neoliberal Parties in this country: Libs/Nats/Greens.

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

If you don’t like abortions ignore them like you do school shootings.

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #5 - Oct 15th, 2020 at 2:16pm

aquascoot wrote on Oct 15th, 2020 at 9:54am:

Governments are the only entities that can create money at the stroke of a pen...   Therefore, not all money appears as taxation.   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Oct 15th, 2020 at 2:35pm

aquascoot wrote on Oct 15th, 2020 at 9:54am:
The biggest lie currently being swallowed by a whopping 80% of the Australian population who are in favour of it
Is that it is beneficial for the government to increase the national debt 2 finance a round of tax cuts

A tax cut in the setting of a 1 trillion dollar government debt
Is an economic catastrophe
That 80% of people have been swindled to believing
Is going to benefit them

It would be no different to going into Westpac bank
Asking for an extension on your mortgage
Because of financial difficulties
and having the bank manager hand you a high interest credit card
And tell you to go for it

I imagine 80% of people would have no problems with this solution either

Why isn't money management and financial management taught in schools
I would imagine it is so it is easier to lie to people

80% of Australians are not in favour of tax cuts.

They are not the high income earners that Morriscums tax cuts are aimed at.

Most are struggling to hold onto permanent full time jobs or are being under employed through casualisation & part time .....

they are fighting to maintain their current wage rates & conditions that are under attack by employers & the current govt at every turn.

Quote:
Top 1% of Australians own more wealth than bottom 70% combined

Australia now has 33 billionaires, up from 14 since before the global financial crisis in 2008.
The ranks of Australia’s billionaires have swollen since the global financial crisis, from 14 in 2008 to 33 in 2017, after eight more individuals became billionaires last year.

Over the same period, the household wealth of average Australians grew by just 12%, with wage growth slowing to record lows, barely keeping up with the cost of living.

Despite efforts by the treasurer, Scott Morrison, to portray Australia as a country in which income inequality is not worsening – contrary to the belief of International Monetary Fund officials – Oxfam Australia has released a new report revealing wealth inequality is still on the rise.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2018/jan/22/top-1-per-cent-of-austral...

Freediver should work for the LNP he has the same blinkered attitude.

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

The_Barnacle
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #7 - Oct 15th, 2020 at 3:17pm

So why has Freediver combined 3 separate debates in the one thread?

Seems it's purely to attack another member.

So when will it be moved to Relationships?

The Right Wing only believe in free speech when they agree with what is being said.

IP Logged

Jovial Monk
Gold Member

Dogs not cats!

Reply #8 - Oct 15th, 2020 at 3:30pm

He can do all that.

But can’t change the name of my board to Critters and Gardens.

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

If you don’t like abortions ignore them like you do school shootings.

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Oct 15th, 2020 at 6:26pm

The_Barnacle wrote on Oct 15th, 2020 at 3:17pm:

About right

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - Oct 15th, 2020 at 6:28pm

Looks to me like FD is cracking under the pressure. Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #11 - Oct 15th, 2020 at 7:14pm

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Oct 15th, 2020 at 8:36am:
I'll just address one:-

Under a system of minimum requirements in wages and conditions, there is no 'wages inequality' wrought by applying those standards... there may be small differences in final negotiated overall package (see politician salaries/package and ceo/tv presenter etc packages) - but as long as the minimums are met, there is no entrenched 'wages inequality' - same as there is no 'wage gap' for women working in the same jobs.

It is, rather - the attempts (puerile) of 'management' these days to take advantage of what they perceive as the open door that Howard seemed to offer them with his WorkChoices nonsense, and their willingness to cut corners on wages and conditions at every chance, given that they fear no regulatory body, that creates 'wage inequality'. 

Look at the recent nonsense about warehouse workers being paid different rates in different warehouses - a clear sign that attacking the Union movement causes wages inequality.

Unions do NOT control the jobs market..... they ensure the rules of that market are abided by.

There is NO workplace in this nation where 'wage inequality' is caused by Unions - it is caused by managers seeking to cut labour costs by skirting the edges of the rules and of signed and approved by government body agreements, and to alter those agreements without proper negotiation.

Look at the current 'wharf dispute' engineered by 'management (again), with the clear aim of seeking a dual end - destruction of Unions along with paying less than were the agreed rates and conditions.  The Unions did not start that one.....   Roll Eyes

Finally - freed - have you yet worked out how bizarre your reasoning is that non-Union scabs are 'strong independents able to negotiate alone' etc, given that in the current 'wharf dispute, these scabs are signing on at far LOWER rates and conditions?  That PROVES that individuals 'negotiating' with the all-powerful are nowhere near 'strong, independent and able to negotiate alone'.   Roll Eyes

That is the first time you have put any genuine thought into whether unions increase inequality. Why didn't you post it in the dedicated thread?

The_Barnacle wrote on Oct 15th, 2020 at 3:17pm:

To address a common theme. Did you notice that this thread has a topic all of it's own?

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - Oct 15th, 2020 at 11:57pm

Tsk, tsk....... I've been giving you chapter and verse since forever - not my fault you have not the ears to learn...

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - Oct 15th, 2020 at 11:59pm

John Smith wrote on Oct 15th, 2020 at 6:28pm:
Looks to me like FD is cracking under the pressure. Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

― John Adams

IP Logged

Valkie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Central Coast
Reply #14 - Oct 16th, 2020 at 6:26am

The biggest con job and doctored results was the

SSM

There is no way on earth that this would have gotten through had it been done honestly or legally.

This is why the grubberment introduced a "NEW" way to hoodwink the population.

I forsee that this technique will be used again to get crooked and illegal policies past the honest hard working NORMAL human beings.

I HAVE A DREAM
A WONDERFUL, PEACEFUL, BEAUTIFUL DREAM.
A DREAM OF A WORLD THAT HAS NEVER KNOWN ISLAM
A DREAM OF A WORLD FREE FROM THE HORRORS OF ISLAM.

SUCH A WONDERFUL DREAM
O HOW I WISH IT WERE TRU

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print