Send Topic Print
Paintings (Read 14429 times)
issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Re: Paintings
Reply #150 - Jan 11th, 2021 at 5:23pm

Colonials were given the name “diggers” by the British, because many of them came to Australia to do just that. Here is Hobson's Bay at the Height of the Gold Rush. When the diggers arrived in the fastest sailing ships ever built.

No political allegiance. No philosophy. No religion.

IP Logged

Ayn Marx
Gold Member

Australian Politics

South of Australia
Reply #151 - Jan 12th, 2021 at 9:40am

Being reminded of early Australian lanscapes has me remembering a dismissive judgement I made of early Tasmanian scenes. Until I moved to Tasmania, and experienced for myself the light in autumn, I took images such as the one below (Mount Olympus, Lake St Clair, Tasmania, the source of the Derwent, 1875 WC Piguenit) to be over romanticised. No, the light in autumn and spring here really is ‘romantic’.

6141__S.jpg (110 KB | 14 )
6141__S.jpg

The Human Race is Insane

IP Logged

Ayn Marx
Gold Member

Australian Politics

South of Australia
Reply #152 - Jan 13th, 2021 at 8:03pm

This thread has triggered a lot of memories of paintings I became aware of at a very early age and the effect they had. The scene below (Gustave Courbet's The Artist's Studio, 1854-55) puzzled me, especially the old man on the right staring at the models buns. The weirdly ambiguous background is almost dreamlike and to  this day still makes no sense unless it’s an attempt at illustrating the artist’s sub-conscious. Must read up on it..

The Human Race is Insane

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #153 - Jan 14th, 2021 at 7:41am

Ayn Marx wrote on Jan 13th, 2021 at 8:03pm:
This thread has triggered a lot of memories of paintings I became aware of at a very early age and the effect they had. The scene below (Gustave Courbet's The Artist's Studio, 1854-55) puzzled me, especially the old man on the right staring at the models buns. The weirdly ambiguous background is almost dreamlike and to  this day still makes no sense unless it’s an attempt at illustrating the artist’s sub-conscious. Must read up on it..

They are all people from Courbet's life. Baudelaire is reading on the far right.

I started this thread with a Courbet painting. He was prolific across genres. Along with Klee, my personal favourite.

ANGELUS NOVUS

"His face is turned toward the past. Where we perceive a chain of events, he sees one single catastrophe which keeps piling wreckage upon wreckage and hurls it in front of his feet. The angel would like to stay, awaken the dead, and make whole what has been smashed. But a storm is blowing from Paradise; it has got caught in his wings with such violence that the angel can no longer close them. The storm irresistibly propels him into the future to which his back his turned, while the pile of debris before him grows skyward. The storm is what we call progress." WB.

Estragon: I can’t go on like this.
Vladimir: That’s what you think.

IP Logged

Ayn Marx
Gold Member

Australian Politics

South of Australia
Reply #154 - Jan 14th, 2021 at 9:03am

Frank wrote on Jan 14th, 2021 at 7:41am:
They are all people from Courbet's life. Baudelaire is reading on the far right.

Thanks ,but I was hoping someone could identify the old bugger on the right oggling the models buns. Strange were the fine arts can take one’s curiosity.

As to Klee I’m conflicted. I find some of his work fun but others make me feel I should be standing on my head to view them (see below)
Reminds me of an evening spent viewing high definition slides of Roger Kemps work. Every so often his wife would chime in  ‘Darling, you’ve got it upside down’.
Him ‘It doesn’t matter’. 

« Last Edit: Jan 14th, 2021 at 9:15am by Ayn Marx »  

The Human Race is Insane

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #155 - Jan 14th, 2021 at 9:20am

It's Champfleury,  among the first to recognise Courber's talent. Here's a clise-up.
https://www.wikiart.org/en/gustave-courbet/portrait-of-champfleury-1855

A photo of him.
https://xn--rpubliquedeslettres-bzb.fr/champfleury-9782824901152.php

IP Logged

Ayn Marx
Gold Member

Australian Politics

South of Australia
Reply #156 - Jan 14th, 2021 at 10:29am

Frank wrote on Jan 14th, 2021 at 9:20am:
It's Champfleury,  among the first to recognise Courber's talent. Here's a clise-up.
https://www.wikiart.org/en/gustave-courbet/portrait-of-champfleury-1855

A photo of him.
https://xn--rpubliquedeslettres-bzb.fr/champfleury-9782824901152.php

Thanks for the links but they don’t answer my suspicion that Courbet was simply suggesting Chamfleury was in some way a voyeur.

The Human Race is Insane

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #157 - Jan 14th, 2021 at 1:27pm

I find Paul Klee's work interesting, but I don't spend a lot of time on his 2 dimensional geometries. This one is not so much like patchwork.

IP Logged

Ayn Marx
Gold Member

Australian Politics

South of Australia
Reply #158 - Jan 14th, 2021 at 2:07pm

issuevoter wrote on Jan 14th, 2021 at 1:27pm:
I find Paul Klee's work interesting, but I don't spend a lot of time on his 2 dimensional geometries. This one is not so much like patchwork.

https://i.postimg.cc/13PKWjK7/shepherd-1929-paul-klee.jpg

This is one of those works where the actual process of creating it and the fun it gave the artist is on full display. 

The Human Race is Insane

IP Logged

Sophia
Gold Member

Reply #159 - Jan 14th, 2021 at 10:24pm

I remember seeing this painting being discussed some time ago and so many questions about the subjects!
Puzzling it is!

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #160 - Jan 15th, 2021 at 5:33pm

Sophia wrote on Jan 14th, 2021 at 10:24pm:

I remember seeing this painting being discussed some time ago and so many questions about the subjects!
Puzzling it is!

Er..... ummmm........ the title of the painting offers some very large clues:"The Painter's Studio: A Real
Allegory
Summing Up Seven Years of My Life as an Artist from 1848 to 1855"

Allegory: https://www.tate.org.uk/art/art-terms/a/allegory

IP Logged

Sophia
Gold Member

Reply #161 - Jan 15th, 2021 at 11:43pm

Frank wrote on Jan 15th, 2021 at 5:33pm:
Sophia wrote on Jan 14th, 2021 at 10:24pm:

Puzzling it is!

Er..... ummmm........ the title of the painting offers some very large clues:"The Painter's Studio: A Real
Allegory
Summing Up Seven Years of My Life as an Artist from 1848 to 1855"

Allegory: https://www.tate.org.uk/art/art-terms/a/allegory

Oh well, that explains it all then!
Some paintings tell a thousand words...but this one...like, where's the dips, entres , drinks...all them people, and one nude.
And the artist is painting a landscape of some sort...

IP Logged

Sophia
Gold Member

Reply #162 - Jan 15th, 2021 at 11:48pm

issuevoter wrote on Jan 11th, 2021 at 5:23pm:
Colonials were given the name “diggers” by the British, because many of them came to Australia to do just that. Here is Hobson's Bay at the Height of the Gold Rush. When the diggers arrived in the fastest sailing ships ever built.

https://i.postimg.cc/YC9814pX/Hobson-s-Bay-Gold-Rush.png

Just love these type of paintings with the tall ships and masts.

In Ancestry, I actually traced back to the 1500's for a elder cousin's husband....the tall ships from England to America.

When I see these paintings, this is what it must have been like.

Fascinating to trace back into the past, the history of ships that sailed from one country to another.

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #163 - Jan 16th, 2021 at 8:51am

Sophia wrote on Jan 15th, 2021 at 11:48pm:

In Ancestry, I actually traced back to the 1500's for a elder cousin's husband....the tall ships from England to America.

Fascinating to trace back into the past, the history of ships that sailed from one country to another.

Lois, I am glad you are interested in ships. I don't mean this in a critical way, but you should know that the term "Tall Ship," was not used during the era. They were sailing ships and square riggers. "Tall Ship," is a poetic allusion, created by John Masefield in the poem Sea Fever. It got popularised in the 1960s with the advent of the Tall Ships Race for sail training vessels.

IP Logged

Sophia
Gold Member

Reply #164 - Jan 16th, 2021 at 1:46pm

issuevoter wrote on Jan 16th, 2021 at 8:51am:
Sophia wrote on Jan 15th, 2021 at 11:48pm:

Lois, I am glad you are interested in ships. I don't mean this in a critical way, but you should know that the term "Tall Ship," was not used during the era. They were sailing ships and square riggers. "Tall Ship," is a poetic allusion, created by John Masefield in the poem Sea Fever. It got popularised in the 1960s with the advent of the Tall Ships Race for sail training vessels.

So tall ships was a short order.  Smiley
Learn something new all the time from old paintings, after all!

I had sailed on an old vessel with them sails and steering wheel, the sea became so rough... I was standing at back, and the captain says “conditions can change, and change quick!”  Huh
All I saw was front of vessel wildly bouncing from side to side
Yet at back, was very steady
Must look for my old film photos to see name of that ship.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... 15
Send Topic Print