Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Chris Lawrence - West Tigers (Read 434 times)
Mix_Master
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Chris Lawrence - West Tigers
Sep 26th, 2020 at 12:21pm

Just reading an article about Chris Lawrence, which is effectively a diary of what he went through following a freak training accident last year.

Don't know the bloke - don't even follow the Tigers - but a pretty detailed story about what can go wrong in "collision sports" for even the best prepared people.

Good on him for getting back and getting back into it. Not sure I would have, given what he's gone through.

Can't link the article,  but it's in The Age, in the NRL section.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Chris Lawrence - West Tigers
Reply #1 - Sep 26th, 2020 at 2:18pm

havent read the story  but he wil pay for it later on in life..they keep very quiet about what ex footy players have to deal with..after retirement..

IP Logged

Mix_Master
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Sep 26th, 2020 at 3:31pm

cods wrote on Sep 26th, 2020 at 2:18pm:
havent read the story  but he wil pay for it later on in life..they keep very quiet about what ex footy players have to deal with..after retirement..

Good point.

Another article elsewhere in the same paper, about ex-St Kilda player Patrick McCartin "ready to return to the AFL" after retiring early from multiple concussions. He reckons he's ready to go, while others are saying "do something else, for the sake of your long-term health".

I wonder how many CTE studies/findings will be made in the next decade or so, and what changes to the various codes might result?

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #3 - Sep 26th, 2020 at 6:06pm

Australia has some of the dumbest sports in the world.

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Sep 26th, 2020 at 6:54pm

Mix_Master wrote on Sep 26th, 2020 at 3:31pm:

Good point.

Another article elsewhere in the same paper, about ex-St Kilda player Patrick McCartin "ready to return to the AFL" after retiring early from multiple concussions. He reckons he's ready to go, while others are saying "do something else, for the sake of your long-term health".

I wonder how many CTE studies/findings will be made in the next decade or so, and what changes to the various codes might result?

when you see how the NFL players are rigged up.. and then look at ours   it has got to be an ego thing...from our point of view......NRL has far more body contact  and unfortunately head contact......yet they go out almost naked. in comparison.

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #5 - Sep 27th, 2020 at 9:34am

Yes so true. It is better now though. Some injuries more than others and some people more than others.

Bigger guys do better, Some do not have the type of injury that pay the worst long term. Todays players are much better off.

Chris had his face smashed very badly, I don't know this will disable him later in life but could be very wrong. Earlier he had his hip damaged that badly that it took 5 surgeons to put it back together. This one is a candidate for long term issues. I've known footballers who struggle to walk by 55 due to leg injuries in their youth.

Sometimes it is just the wear and tear, I remember having knee x rays at about 35, turns out that my knees were perfect, for a 60 year old.

IP Logged

Ajax
Gold Member

CO2 has never controlled
temperature on Earth

Australia
Reply #6 - Sep 27th, 2020 at 10:20am

Very rare for elite athletes not to suffer from their activity later on in life.

Especially sports like AFL and NRL.

When these guys hit 40's and 50's they will suffer.

And like someone said it is kept hush hush.

1. There has never been a more serious assault on our standard of living than Anthropogenic Global Warming..Ajax
2. "One hour of freedom is worth more than 40 years of slavery &  prison" Regas Feraeos

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #7 - Sep 28th, 2020 at 12:15am

Lots of acquired brain injuries....

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #8 - Sep 28th, 2020 at 12:57am

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Sep 28th, 2020 at 12:15am:
Lots of acquired brain injuries....

Yes. In the 70's if you didn't have a couple of concussions in a game you didn't try hard enough. There is a cost to pay.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print