Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Heroes leave boatie for dead (Read 1141 times)
Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Heroes leave boatie for dead
Reply #15 - Sep 26th, 2020 at 10:01am

Johnnie wrote on Sep 26th, 2020 at 9:16am:
Gnads wrote on Sep 26th, 2020 at 5:17am:
Johnnie wrote on Sep 25th, 2020 at 12:49pm:
Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Sep 25th, 2020 at 10:56am:
No reserve motor?  An outboard you can swing down and keep running with? 

I've considered bringing a large-ish boat from WA - but that trip across the Bight is too much even for the brave...

I don't think so, it had a short mast so i assume it had some sail power and i don't think it was totally disabled because it was at its destination which was at the Murray mouth waiting for favorable conditions to get into the Coorong and then to Goolwa where many other boats have gone for their final resting place and for people to live aboard, there was nowhere else that boat could have gone from there, the next stop was way down the southeast.

The owner was from Goolwa so that was probably his plan, if he didn't make it through the mouth at least he could have swam to shore, he was towed back to Victor harbor where there are no safe moorings and the rest is now history.

You do realise that if he had a broken blade on the propeller .... that it would be out of balance ... increasing the vibration through the propeller shaft & increasing stress & damage to gland seals?

That maybe a reason he was taking on water?

But just like your comments about being deliberately set a drift(which I don't believe) it's just speculation.

props vary in speed pitch and diameter, it was probably a slow revving one with not much damage or you are right, he said when he was picked up he didn't know what everyone was freaking out about, they were fine and they didn't call for help.

The local mayor has come out and said that "accidental drift" was probably why he is now lost.

Half of the boat has now washed up near the Murray river mouth.

Turns out he was wrong.

Old boat
no auxillary motor
no tender
faulty propeller
poor communications
out of date flares
unregistered epirb
& gawd knows what else wasn't up to scratch for travelling in the Great Southern Ocean.

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

mozzaok
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Melbourne
Reply #16 - Sep 26th, 2020 at 10:04am

This weeks Darwin Award goes to???
A knockabout lad who may have deserved the less attention that he craved.
The government is a mystery, they will spend taxpayer money like crazy, but the poor bugger drowned, probably could not afford to stay where they left him, or to properly make his boat seaworthy, and if they had just kept there bib out, he would likely to have been sucking down joints and tinnies and not troubling any one.
Thanks bureaucrats you really are invaluable.
Maybe that should be valueless?

OOPS!!! My Karma, ran over your Dogma!

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #17 - Sep 26th, 2020 at 10:15am

mozzaok wrote on Sep 26th, 2020 at 10:04am:
The government is a mystery, they will spend taxpayer money like crazy, but the poor bugger drowned, probably could not afford to stay where they left him, or to properly make his boat seaworthy, and if they had just kept there bib out, he would likely to have been sucking down joints and tinnies and not troubling any one.

IP Logged

mozzaok
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Melbourne
Reply #18 - Sep 26th, 2020 at 10:21am

Bobby. wrote on Sep 26th, 2020 at 10:15am:

https://pictures.abebooks.com/BETWEENTHECOVERS/18408884623.jpg

Ah! Monsarrat, I went to a few fairs and even a wedding there, where the great unwashed is more than just an abstract musing of the muse.
(wtf have I been smoking?)

OOPS!!! My Karma, ran over your Dogma!

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #19 - Sep 26th, 2020 at 10:24am

mozzaok wrote on Sep 26th, 2020 at 10:21am:
Bobby. wrote on Sep 26th, 2020 at 10:15am:

https://pictures.abebooks.com/BETWEENTHECOVERS/18408884623.jpg

Ah! Monsarrat, I went to a few fairs and even a wedding there, where the great unwashed is more than just an abstract musing of the muse.
(wtf have I been smoking?)

That's  Montserrat - a place
not Monsarrat - the author of a famous book.

forgiven

namaste

IP Logged

Johnnie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #20 - Sep 26th, 2020 at 12:48pm

Gnads wrote on Sep 26th, 2020 at 10:01am:

I've considered bringing a large-ish boat from WA - but that trip across the Bight is too much even for the brave...

I don't think so, it had a short mast so i assume it had some sail power and i don't think it was totally disabled because it was at its destination which was at the Murray mouth waiting for favorable conditions to get into the Coorong and then to Goolwa where many other boats have gone for their final resting place and for people to live aboard, there was nowhere else that boat could have gone from there, the next stop was way down the southeast.

The owner was from Goolwa so that was probably his plan, if he didn't make it through the mouth at least he could have swam to shore, he was towed back to Victor harbor where there are no safe moorings and the rest is now history.

You do realise that if he had a broken blade on the propeller .... that it would be out of balance ... increasing the vibration through the propeller shaft & increasing stress & damage to gland seals?

But just like your comments about being deliberately set a drift(which I don't believe) it's just speculation.

props vary in speed pitch and diameter, it was probably a slow revving one with not much damage or you are right, he said when he was picked up he didn't know what everyone was freaking out about, they were fine and they didn't call for help.

The local mayor has come out and said that "accidental drift" was probably why he is now lost.

Turns out he was wrong.

Old boat
no auxillary motor
no tender
faulty propeller
poor communications
out of date flares
unregistered epirb
& gawd knows what else wasn't up to scratch for travelling in the Great Southern Ocean.

Yeah well the heroes sure did teach him a lesson.

After they unceremoniously dragged him back to Victor, dumping him and fining him they left him to his own devices.

I know that stretch of coastline well and where he was tied up, once adrift he would be bearing the brunt of the stormy southern ocean swell in less than 10 minutes and smashed to pieces in 5.

I would guarantee not one of those heroes would want to spend any time at all where he was in those conditions in any boat for fear of the same thing would happen to them,, ie "accidental drift"

IP Logged

Johnnie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #21 - Sep 26th, 2020 at 8:23pm

It appears some wreckage has now washed up in the Coorong, the boat was on a mission with or without the boatie, another tale from the sea but a true one.

IP Logged

Belgarion
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #22 - Sep 26th, 2020 at 8:59pm

Johnnie wrote on Sep 26th, 2020 at 12:48pm:

Turns out he was wrong.

Old boat
no auxillary motor
no tender
faulty propeller
poor communications
out of date flares
unregistered epirb

After they unceremoniously dragged him back to Victor, dumping him and fining him they left him to his own devices.

I know that stretch of coastline well and where he was tied up, once adrift he would be bearing the brunt of the stormy southern ocean swell in less than 10 minutes and smashed to pieces in 5.

I would guarantee not one of those heroes would want to spend any time at all where he was in those conditions in any boat for fear of the same thing would happen to them,, ie "accidental drift"

What, in your opinion, should the emergency services have done?

"I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

Voltaire.....(possibly)

IP Logged

Johnnie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #23 - Sep 26th, 2020 at 9:11pm

Belgarion wrote on Sep 26th, 2020 at 8:59pm:

Turns out he was wrong.

Old boat
no auxillary motor
no tender
faulty propeller
poor communications
out of date flares
unregistered epirb

Thrown him a nice new rope and a life raft given the conditions plus an offer of free accommodation and a carton of beer to continue his journey at will.

He was ok where he was before they arrived.

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #24 - Sep 28th, 2020 at 6:20am

Johnnie wrote on Sep 26th, 2020 at 9:11pm:
Belgarion wrote on Sep 26th, 2020 at 8:59pm:

Turns out he was wrong.

Old boat
no auxillary motor
no tender
faulty propeller
poor communications
out of date flares
unregistered epirb

Thrown him a nice new rope and a life raft given the conditions plus an offer of free accommodation and a carton of beer to continue his journey at will.

Grin The bottom line is ... he shouldn't have been out in the southern ocean in that tub.

And if he couldn't afford to have the boat seaworthy then he shouldn't have bought it.

You keep making excuses for a bloke that made stupid decisions.

Would you do the same for some idiot in an unroadworthy rust bucket who came to grief around a tree beside the highway?

Would you say thank gawd he didn't take anyone else with him?

Even the boaties mate bailed out on him .... why didn't he see the journey through?

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

Belgarion
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #25 - Sep 28th, 2020 at 1:00pm

Roll Eyes

"I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

Voltaire.....(possibly)

IP Logged

Johnnie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #26 - Sep 28th, 2020 at 1:54pm

Belgarion wrote on Sep 28th, 2020 at 1:00pm:

Roll Eyes

"The 57-year-old made a distress call around 5am on Tuesday 22 September, saying his boat had broken its moorings and was taking on water."

There are no safe moorings in Victor Harbor because there is no safe place to be, the sea rescue people and the marine cops who boarded his boat to check on his safety gear obviously did their risk assessments and decided to leave him tied up to the causeway exposing him and his big old heavy boat to 40 knot winds and only minutes away from being in the stormy ocean swells, he would have needed a 30mm thick stainless steel cable to hold that boat in position providing the bow didn't get ripped off.

He had just spent two and a half weeks at sea and could have at least been offered a room with a view to see his pride and joy being swallowed up by the sea.

IP Logged

Belgarion
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #27 - Sep 28th, 2020 at 5:38pm

Johnnie wrote on Sep 28th, 2020 at 1:54pm:
Belgarion wrote on Sep 28th, 2020 at 1:00pm:

Roll Eyes

"The 57-year-old made a distress call around 5am on Tuesday 22 September, saying his boat had broken its moorings and was taking on water."

There are no safe moorings in Victor Harbor because there is no safe place to be, the sea rescue people and the marine cops who boarded his boat to check on his safety gear obviously did their risk assessments and decided to leave him tied up to the causeway exposing him and his big old heavy boat to 40 knot winds and only minutes away from being in the stormy ocean swells, he would have needed a 30mm thick stainless steel cable to hold that boat in position providing the bow didn't get ripped off.

He had just spent two and a half weeks at sea and could have at least been offered a room with a view to see his pride and joy being swallowed up by the sea.

While we have only the media reports to go on, it seems that this was a disaster waiting to happen.
Victor Harbour is a far from ideal mooring in bad weather,  however what evidence is there to suggest the vessel broke free from its berth?  A competent master in a well found and properly equipped boat would  probably make the decision to ride out the bad weather at sea, which would be the smart choice given the exposed nature of the Granite Island berth. However this man was not competent and his boat was neither seaworthy or properly equipped. 

Although it is sad to see that this man has most probably died, there is no one to blame but himself.

Voltaire.....(possibly)

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print