Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Heroes leave boatie for dead (Read 1140 times)
Johnnie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Heroes leave boatie for dead
Sep 25th, 2020 at 6:15am

Two blokes were sailing from Pt Lincoln to Goolwa to to make repairs to their boat, after a few days they were reported missing sparking a huge air sea search, they were spotted near Goolwa and a boat was sent out to drag them back to victor Harbor,, not really a harbor and no boats ever moor there in any wind, fined them and left the boat with its owner there, the owner said he never knew anyone was looking for him and knew exactly where he was.

Three days ago in 30 to 40 knot winds he disappeared  from Victor Harbor and reported taking on water, he is now missing and presumably drowned at sea.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Re: Heroes leave boatie for dead
Reply #1 - Sep 25th, 2020 at 6:19am

I saw that boat after the first search and
it never looked seaworthy to me.

IP Logged

Johnnie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Sep 25th, 2020 at 6:32am

Bobby. wrote on Sep 25th, 2020 at 6:19am:

The boat looked a bit shabby but to me it looked like an old gem and comfortable, the journey from Pt Lincoln to Goolwa exposed to the southern ocean is not for the faint hearted, it had lost one of its propeller blades which is why they they did not make their eta.

gone_001.jpg (7 KB | 10 )
gone_001.jpg

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Sep 25th, 2020 at 6:33am

Johnnie wrote on Sep 25th, 2020 at 6:15am:
Two blokes were sailing from Pt Lincoln to Goolwa to to make repairs to their boat, after a few days they were reported missing sparking a huge air sea search, they were spotted near Goolwa and a boat was sent out to drag them back to victor Harbor,, not really a harbor and no boats ever moor there in any wind, fined them and left the boat with its owner there, the owner said he never knew anyone was looking for him and knew exactly where he was.

Three days ago in 30 to 40 knot winds he disappeared  from Victor Harbor and reported taking on water, he is now missing and presumably drowned at sea.

Left him for dead? What BS

He is/was a bloody idiot.

Out in the southern ocean in that old tub without the correct safety gear.

Initially after an intensive & massive search instigated by someone who knew him he turns up at some isolated place & runs aground trying to get to a wharf so he could buy supplies.

When the coppers go through his boat he gets fined for having out of date flares & a non registered EPIRB.

He more or less tells everyone to get f*#ked he knows what he's doing......

then he pisses off out to sea  & has gone missing again .......

stiff shyte.

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Sep 25th, 2020 at 6:36am

Johnnie wrote on Sep 25th, 2020 at 6:32am:

The boat looked a bit shabby but to me it looked like an old gem and comfortable, the journey from Pt Lincoln to Goolwa exposed to the southern ocean is not for the faint hearted, it had lost one of its propeller blades which is why they they did not make their eta.

Oh yeah I forgot ..... also out with a faulty propeller ..... the inevitable has happened.

One could ask why he didn't fix that in Port Lincoln?

The planned journey to Goolwa was nearly 400 klm by sea.
« Last Edit: Sep 25th, 2020 at 6:46am by Gnads »  

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

Johnnie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Sep 25th, 2020 at 6:39am

Gnads wrote on Sep 25th, 2020 at 6:33am:

Initially after an intensive & massive search instigated by someone who knew him he turns up at some isolated place & runs aground trying to get to a wharf so he could buy supplies.

When the coppers go through his boat he gets fined for having out of date flares & a non registered EPIRB.

stiff shyte.

Nobody pisses off out to sea in 30/40 knot winds into the southern ocean, Victor Harbor doesn't even have any moorings, he was tied up to the causeway and it either broke its moorings in the wind or someone set him adrift to teach him a lesson while he was sleeping.

The propeller broke during the journey, stuff happens.

Duty of care!

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #6 - Sep 25th, 2020 at 6:50am

The boat was not fit for anything other than cruising
around a harbor -
definitely not seaworthy for the ocean.

IP Logged

Johnnie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Sep 25th, 2020 at 7:07am

Bobby. wrote on Sep 25th, 2020 at 6:50am:

The boat was not fit for anything other than cruising
around a harbor -
definitely not seaworthy for the ocean.

Story has it he was going to go into the coorong via the Murray mouth and then to Goolwa and safety which was about where he was found, the tide wind and swell conditions have to be just right to attempt that, perhaps that was what he was waiting for.

I don't know if it was seaworthy, it wasn't with a broken prop.

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Sep 25th, 2020 at 7:08am

Johnnie wrote on Sep 25th, 2020 at 6:39am:

stiff shyte.

Nobody pisses off out to sea in 30/40 knot winds into the southern ocean, Victor Harbor doesn't even have any moorings, he was tied up to the causeway and it either broke its moorings in the wind or someone set him adrift to teach him a lesson while he was sleeping.

Duty of care!

What BS .....you know that how? Who would do that?

You're inferring someone murdered him?

Set adrift & he would sleep through it? Grin

Total speculation on your part.

After sparking the biggest maritime search in SA's history.

Quote:
The pair were rescued on September 10. That first search – which covered an area larger than Tasmania - had cost taxpayers $650,000.

The duty of care was squarely in his court.

https://www.9news.com.au/national/search-for-missing-skipper-tony-higgins-off-so...

IP Logged

Johnnie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Sep 25th, 2020 at 7:26am

Gnads wrote on Sep 25th, 2020 at 7:08am:

stiff shyte.

Duty of care!

Quote:
The pair were rescued on September 10. That first search – which covered an area larger than Tasmania - had cost taxpayers $650,000.

https://www.9news.com.au/national/search-for-missing-skipper-tony-higgins-off-so...

If he was asleep and drifting with the wind he probably wouldn't know until he hit the swells outside of Granite island island. The causeway he was tied up to runs between Victor harbor and granite island, by that time it was to late, when he phoned up he said he was taking on water off Granite island.

In one of the pictures i saw inside the the boat he had a new wetsuit hanging up so the only hope is he had a surfboard and paddled ashore and chucked a runner to escape all of the attention.

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #10 - Sep 25th, 2020 at 10:56am

No reserve motor?  An outboard you can swing down and keep running with? 

I've considered bringing a large-ish boat from WA - but that trip across the Bight is too much even for the brave...

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Johnnie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - Sep 25th, 2020 at 12:49pm

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Sep 25th, 2020 at 10:56am:

I've considered bringing a large-ish boat from WA - but that trip across the Bight is too much even for the brave...

I don't think so, it had a short mast so i assume it had some sail power and i don't think it was totally disabled because it was at its destination which was at the Murray mouth waiting for favorable conditions to get into the Coorong and then to Goolwa where many other boats have gone for their final resting place and for people to live aboard, there was nowhere else that boat could have gone from there, the next stop was way down the southeast.

The owner was from Goolwa so that was probably his plan, if he didn't make it through the mouth at least he could have swam to shore, he was towed back to Victor harbor where there are no safe moorings and the rest is now history.

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - Sep 26th, 2020 at 5:12am

Johnnie wrote on Sep 25th, 2020 at 7:26am:
Gnads wrote on Sep 25th, 2020 at 7:08am:

stiff shyte.

Duty of care!

Quote:

If he was asleep and drifting with the wind he probably wouldn't know until he hit the swells outside of Granite island island. The causeway he was tied up to runs between Victor harbor and granite island, by that time it was to late, when he phoned up he said he was taking on water off Granite island.

In one of the pictures i saw inside the the boat he had a new wetsuit hanging up so the only hope is he had a surfboard and paddled ashore and chucked a runner to escape all of the attention. 

A boat that size he should have had a tender vessel.....

not a bloody surfboard. Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - Sep 26th, 2020 at 5:17am

Johnnie wrote on Sep 25th, 2020 at 12:49pm:

I don't think so, it had a short mast so i assume it had some sail power and i don't think it was totally disabled because it was at its destination which was at the Murray mouth waiting for favorable conditions to get into the Coorong and then to Goolwa where many other boats have gone for their final resting place and for people to live aboard, there was nowhere else that boat could have gone from there, the next stop was way down the southeast.

The owner was from Goolwa so that was probably his plan, if he didn't make it through the mouth at least he could have swam to shore, he was towed back to Victor harbor where there are no safe moorings and the rest is now history.

You do realise that if he had a broken blade on the propeller .... that it would be out of balance ... increasing the vibration through the propeller shaft & increasing stress & damage to gland seals?

That maybe a reason he was taking on water?

But just like your comments about being deliberately set a drift(which I don't believe) it's just speculation.

IP Logged

Johnnie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #14 - Sep 26th, 2020 at 9:16am

Gnads wrote on Sep 26th, 2020 at 5:17am:
Johnnie wrote on Sep 25th, 2020 at 12:49pm:

You do realise that if he had a broken blade on the propeller .... that it would be out of balance ... increasing the vibration through the propeller shaft & increasing stress & damage to gland seals?

That maybe a reason he was taking on water?

But just like your comments about being deliberately set a drift(which I don't believe) it's just speculation.

props vary in speed pitch and diameter, it was probably a slow revving one with not much damage or you are right, he said when he was picked up he didn't know what everyone was freaking out about, they were fine and they didn't call for help.

The local mayor has come out and said that "accidental drift" was probably why he is now lost.

Half of the boat has now washed up near the Murray river mouth.

drift.JPG (46 KB | 11 )
drift.JPG

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print