Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Restaurant Fined After Underpayment Claims (Read 211 times)
whiteknight
Gold Member

Australian Politics

melbourne
Restaurant Fined After Underpayment Claims
Sep 22nd, 2020 at 7:42am

Freo food favourite fined after underpayment claims
The Age
September 21, 2020

A popular restaurant in the heart of Fremantle and its operator have been fined nearly $22,000 after an employee complained to the Fair Work Ombudsman they had been paid just $200 for 146 hours of work – a rate of $1.36 an hour.   Sad 

After investigating the claims in August 2019, the ombudsman issued Soma Kitchen and the company’s director, Giancarlo Daniele, with a compliance notice requiring them to calculate and backpay money owed to the employee.

Soma restaurant and its director have been fined.

Soma is a Mediterranean family dining favourite just off the port city's cafe strip. After the business and Mr Daniele failed to act on the compliance notice, the Ombudsman decided to pursue the parties in the Federal Circuit Court.

In a September 16 judgement, Federal Circuit Court Judge Christopher Kendall blasted Mr Daniele and Soma for showing “a complete disregard for their legal obligations”.

“Here, the extent of the evidence with respect to respondents attempt to comply with the Notice is that the second respondent stated that the Notice was ‘sitting on his desk’ and he ‘might’ get to it later that day,” Judge Kendall said.

“This demonstrates a flagrant disregard for the standards that are owed to employees under the [Fair Work] Act.”   Sad

Judge Kendall said there had been no evidence of a contravention of the act, but the penalties related to not acting on the ombudsman’s compliance notice.

In response to questions about the judgement, Mr Daniele said "damage has been done" and the business had been forced to close.

"You must have more interesting to report," he told WAtoday.

More than half the Ombudsman’s litigations filed in 2018-19 involved the fast food, restaurants and cafe sector.

Fair Work Ombudsman Sandra Parker said businesses that failed to act on compliance notices faced significant penalties.

“We make every effort to secure voluntary compliance with compliance notices but where they are not followed, we are prepared to take legal action to ensure workers receive their lawful entitlements,” she said.

“Employers also need to be aware that improving compliance in the fast food, restaurant and café sector continues to be a priority for the Fair Work Ombudsman.

IP Logged

whiteknight
Gold Member

Australian Politics

melbourne
Re: Restaurant Fined After Underpayment Claims
Reply #1 - Sep 22nd, 2020 at 7:53am

Yet again another example of worker underpayments.   Angry

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #2 - Sep 22nd, 2020 at 12:02pm

Usual Suspect - and-a da boss he's-a say:- 

"I da Boss - I make-a da rules - I-a pay-a you what I think!  No like - no buy!"

Can't get over the insolence of these turds - they leave the fabulous Nirvana 'old country' because it's a turd channel, come here, and instead of raising themselves above the channel to get out of the turds - they seek to drag others down into it.

WHY are they here?

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Sep 22nd, 2020 at 12:16pm

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Sep 22nd, 2020 at 12:02pm:

"I da Boss - I make-a da rules - I-a pay-a you what I think!  No like - no buy!"

Can't get over the insolence of these turds - they leave the fabulous Nirvana 'old country' because it's a turd channel, come here, and instead of raising themselves above the channel to get out of the turds - they seek to drag others down into it.

WHY are they here?

And some, I assume, are good people.

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #4 - Sep 22nd, 2020 at 1:38pm

greggerypeccary wrote on Sep 22nd, 2020 at 12:16pm:
Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Sep 22nd, 2020 at 12:02pm:

WHY are they here?

And some, I assume, are good people.

And where-a did I-a point-a da finger at-a da Good Ones?  Always I'm a-speaked-a of da turds!!

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print