Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Workers Demand Action On Aged Care (Read 581 times)
whiteknight
Gold Member

Australian Politics

melbourne
Workers Demand Action On Aged Care
Sep 21st, 2020 at 7:47pm

Workers demand Action for Aged Care
21 September 2020
ACTU
Today the unions representing aged care workers and the ACTU have launched a comprehensive plan to fix our broken aged care system, protect workers who have been at the front line of the fight against the virus and provide better quality care to older Australians.

The HSU, ANMF and UWU represent workers who do invaluable work in incredibly difficult conditions but have been let down by a Government who has ignored critical issues in aged care.

Secure jobs for workers in aged care means better quality care for older Australians.

The document released today calls for the following essential changes:

Mandated minimum staffing levels and required mix of skills and qualifications in every residential facility, over every shift.
Transparency and accountability for Government funding.
Mandated training requirements (including infection control and ongoing professional development) accessible to all staff and paid by employer.
Government funding is required to be increased, linked to the provision of care and the direct employment of permanent staff with decent pay and enough hours to live on.

Quotes attributable to ANMF Federal Secretary Annie Butler:

“Long before the COVID-19 pandemic began, and as exposed by the Aged Care Royal Commission, chronic and widespread understaffing across the aged care system had created unsafe environments for both workers and those they cared for. The pandemic has now revealed just how dangerous understaffing is, with tragic consequences for far too many older Australians and their families.

“Now, more than ever before, the pandemic and its devastating effects in aged care, have demonstrated that mandating minimum staffing levels must be an urgent priority, as part of any lasting reforms of the sector. If that doesn’t happen, safe, quality care cannot be guaranteed and the pain and suffering of elderly Australians will go on.

“It’s time to make changes and prevent further suffering and neglect.

“Our members on the frontline of aged care know that having higher levels of registered nurses and care workers, in the right skills mix, will ensure provide safe, effective care to residents.”

Quotes attributable to HSU President Gerard Hayes:

“For too long the aged care system has relied on the goodwill of a highly casualised and underpaid female-dominated workforce that often retire into poverty.

“A properly and transparently funded aged care sector will lead to better pay and conditions for all aged care workers - only this will ensure the high-quality care that all older Australians deserve.

“This is an aged care crisis that the Federal Government talks about but doesn’t take action on.

“It’s time to get this right for older Australians, their loved ones, and the workers.”

Quotes attributable to Carolyn Smith, aged care director, United Workers Union:

“Our members tell us every day they are forced to make the choice between completing their tasks or properly looking after those they care for.

“They tell us the system is so broken and so understaffed their timetables don’t allow them the simple humanity of pausing to have a chat with people as they prepare their shower.

“The pressures on aged care staff leaves our members demoralised and burnt out, and helps explain why Australia has one of the world’s worst staff retention rates in aged care.

“The aged care system desperately needs a fix in the form of increased, accountable funding for better staffing.

“A funding fix would help our members give the quality of care due to the hard-working generation who helped build today’s Australia.”

Quotes attributable to ACTU President Michele O’Neil:

“In order to create a system which gives older Australians quality care, respect and dignity we need to protect the rights of the working people who care for them.

“Minimum staffing levels and a regulated mix of skills on every shift in every facility is essential for improving the quality of care delivered to older Australians.

“The pandemic has shown us that insecure and undervalued work leaves workers unable to provide the quality of care that older Australians should be able to expect.

“We need to ensure that one job is enough for any worker in aged care. Aged care workers having to work between multiple facilities has been a huge problem during the pandemic and must end.

“Privatisation is a failed experiment in aged care and has failed working people and the people they care for.

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Workers Demand Action On Aged Care
Reply #1 - Sep 21st, 2020 at 8:29pm

Ji Fwhiteknight wrote on Sep 21st, 2020 at 7:47pm:
Workers demand Action for Aged Care
21 September 2020
ACTU
Today the unions representing aged care workers and the ACTU have launched a comprehensive plan to fix our broken aged care system, protect workers who have been at the front line of the fight against the virus and provide better quality care to older Australians.

The HSU, ANMF and UWU represent workers who do invaluable work in incredibly difficult conditions but have been let down by a Government who has ignored critical issues in aged care.

Secure jobs for workers in aged care means better quality care for older Australians.

The document released today calls for the following essential changes:

Mandated minimum staffing levels and required mix of skills and qualifications in every residential facility, over every shift.
Transparency and accountability for Government funding.
Mandated training requirements (including infection control and ongoing professional development) accessible to all staff and paid by employer.
Government funding is required to be increased, linked to the provision of care and the direct employment of permanent staff with decent pay and enough hours to live on.

Quotes attributable to ANMF Federal Secretary Annie Butler:

“Long before the COVID-19 pandemic began, and as exposed by the Aged Care Royal Commission, chronic and widespread understaffing across the aged care system had created unsafe environments for both workers and those they cared for. The pandemic has now revealed just how dangerous understaffing is, with tragic consequences for far too many older Australians and their families.

“Now, more than ever before, the pandemic and its devastating effects in aged care, have demonstrated that mandating minimum staffing levels must be an urgent priority, as part of any lasting reforms of the sector. If that doesn’t happen, safe, quality care cannot be guaranteed and the pain and suffering of elderly Australians will go on.

“It’s time to make changes and prevent further suffering and neglect.

“Our members on the frontline of aged care know that having higher levels of registered nurses and care workers, in the right skills mix, will ensure provide safe, effective care to residents.”

Quotes attributable to HSU President Gerard Hayes:

“For too long the aged care system has relied on the goodwill of a highly casualised and underpaid female-dominated workforce that often retire into poverty.

“A properly and transparently funded aged care sector will lead to better pay and conditions for all aged care workers - only this will ensure the high-quality care that all older Australians deserve.

“This is an aged care crisis that the Federal Government talks about but doesn’t take action on.

“It’s time to get this right for older Australians, their loved ones, and the workers.”

Quotes attributable to Carolyn Smith, aged care director, United Workers Union:

“Our members tell us every day they are forced to make the choice between completing their tasks or properly looking after those they care for.

“They tell us the system is so broken and so understaffed their timetables don’t allow them the simple humanity of pausing to have a chat with people as they prepare their shower.

“The pressures on aged care staff leaves our members demoralised and burnt out, and helps explain why Australia has one of the world’s worst staff retention rates in aged care.

“The aged care system desperately needs a fix in the form of increased, accountable funding for better staffing.

“A funding fix would help our members give the quality of care due to the hard-working generation who helped build today’s Australia.”

Quotes attributable to ACTU President Michele O’Neil:

“In order to create a system which gives older Australians quality care, respect and dignity we need to protect the rights of the working people who care for them.

“Minimum staffing levels and a regulated mix of skills on every shift in every facility is essential for improving the quality of care delivered to older Australians.

“The pandemic has shown us that insecure and undervalued work leaves workers unable to provide the quality of care that older Australians should be able to expect.

“We need to ensure that one job is enough for any worker in aged care. Aged care workers having to work between multiple facilities has been a huge problem during the pandemic and must end.

“Privatisation is a failed experiment in aged care and has failed working people and the people they care for.

This is what you get when you sign over responsibility for the care for your parents to the state.

You have surrendred responsibility for your kids to the state, why not your parents?   Kiss Kiss Kiss

Estragon: I can’t go on like this.
Vladimir: That’s what you think.

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #2 - Sep 21st, 2020 at 9:41pm

Well - another story:-

The ex's bro-in-law (once a childhood playmate of Elizabeth R) who has dementia, had to go to a nursing home because his wife had to have an operation and was out of action for ten days or so... she went back to get him, and half his clothes were missing, his teeth were in terrible shape never having been brushed, and generally he was not good, having hardly been out of his room etc.

She - having formerly worked in a nursing home - tore strips off them...

Now I can tell you this - I am NOT ever ending up in one of those.... and he ain't going back there.

The ex thought I was joking when she told me before he went in - and I responded from Saving Private Ryan:-

"If the boy is alive - we are going to send someone - and get him the HELL out of there!"
« Last Edit: Sep 21st, 2020 at 9:50pm by Grappler Truth Teller Feller »  

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Sep 21st, 2020 at 9:48pm

Frank wrote on Sep 21st, 2020 at 8:29pm:
This is what you get when you sign over responsibility for the care for your parents to the state.

You have surrendred responsibility for your kids to the state, why not your parents?   Kiss Kiss Kiss

So very true..... people have unwittingly handed over their personal sovereignty in exchange for the 'right' to have two parents working to sustain an ordinary lifestyle that was once handled by one working full time.

I, for one, haven't been asleep for the past forty years or so.......

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Mix_Master
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Sep 22nd, 2020 at 9:22am

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Sep 21st, 2020 at 9:48pm:

So very true..... people have unwittingly handed over their personal sovereignty in exchange for the 'right' to have two parents working to sustain an ordinary lifestyle that was once handled by one working full time.

If you think it's bad now, how do you reckon it will look in another 20-30 years?

My guess?

Mortgage time frames out to 40, then 50 years. Eventually, "inter-generational debt", where people's kids can stay in the parental home, but will be paying off the original mortgage once the parents have passed away...

We might eventually get to a point where someone's grand kids are still paying off a mortgage their Grand Parents originally took out 100 years prior.

The Banks will love that!
« Last Edit: Sep 22nd, 2020 at 6:35pm by Mix_Master »  

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Sep 22nd, 2020 at 6:38pm

Mix_Master wrote on Sep 22nd, 2020 at 9:22am:
Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Sep 21st, 2020 at 9:48pm:

If you think it's bad now, how do you reckon it will look in another 20-30 years?

My guess?

Mortgage time frames out to 40, then 50 years. Eventually, "inter-generational debt", where people's kids can stay in the parental home, but will be paying off the original mortgage once the parents have passed away...

We might eventually get to a point where someone's grand kids are still paying off a mortgage they originally took out 100 years prior.

The Banks will love that!

Yes - I can see that coming... at 71 I'm uncertain about how much time I have left to keep you all actively opposing these things... at some point someone has to take the reins from me... but not yet...

Now then - about those 'rights' of women etc.... a Right not held by all is not a right, but is instead a privilege - the likes of dear old Mothra would be the first to jump up and down about 'old white men's privilege (unconscious or otherwise)' - and readily accept that these are 'privileges' because they are not shared by all..... yet she fails utterly to see that, similarly, privileges of women, ethnics, 'racial' groups as self-identified etc not shared by all are equally not rights...   Cool

― John Adams

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #6 - Sep 22nd, 2020 at 7:00pm

Aged care is all about screwing every last penny
out of old people and not providing a proper service.

I hear they spend $6 per day on food.
Some people spend a lot more on their dogs.

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Sep 22nd, 2020 at 7:51pm

Bobby. wrote on Sep 22nd, 2020 at 7:00pm:

The ex, in her lower moments, talks about going into one of those - I have it over her now after her bro-in-law's experience last week... and I point out to her that she will forfeit all of her legacy to her children and grand-children by going into one of those...

She is far better off here, having me as her carer and general dogsbody who does all the running around and lifting etc, even when my poor old back is giving way...

I will never go into one of those... and I advise nobody to do so.

― John Adams

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Sep 22nd, 2020 at 7:55pm

Bobby. wrote on Sep 22nd, 2020 at 7:00pm:

The ex, in her lower moments, talks about going into one of those - I have it over her now after her bro-in-law's* experience last week... and I point out to her that she will forfeit all of her legacy to her children and grand-children by going into one of those...

She is far better off here, having me as her carer and general dogsbody who does all the running around and lifting etc, even when my poor old back is giving way...

I will never go into one of those... and I advise nobody to do so.

*He was an orphan in Scotland, and was, indeed playmate to Her Maj and Marg at Balmoral when they were young - he was in a receiving line at the Olympics, and Her Maj stopped the whole show, grabbed his hand, and said, "JIM!  I'm so happy to see you again!".  These things do happen...

― John Adams

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print