Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 
Send Topic Print
the mindless compulsion to increase super (Read 16838 times)
freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Re: the mindless compulsion to increase super
Reply #165 - Jan 23rd, 2021 at 12:41pm

Quote:
The straight answer is that your scenarios are irrelevant to this thread

No they aren't. Your confusion goes to the heart of the mindless compulsion to increase super. In fact, you are the one that brought up the distinction between money earned and money saved.

Nor is it a straight answer. It is you being evasive. If you refuse to think about what you say, perhaps you shouldn't respond. Let's try again for a straight answer. Just because you are a union man doesn't mean you have to lie, right?

What is the difference between having an extra $100 000 in income and having $100 000 fewer expenses?

Consider the following two scenarios:

You own a $1 000 000 house, which you rent out for $100 000 per year, on which you pay $30 000 in tax. You pay $100 000 per year in rent.

You own a $1 000 000 house. You live in it. You pay no rent.

Which scenario is better financially? I'll give you a hint, whether you have a job is irrelevant. Whether you have other expenses is irrelevant.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #166 - Jan 23rd, 2021 at 7:16pm

freediver wrote on Jan 23rd, 2021 at 10:43am:
The_Barnacle wrote on Jan 23rd, 2021 at 10:37am:
freediver wrote on Jan 23rd, 2021 at 9:54am:
The_Barnacle wrote on Jan 23rd, 2021 at 9:41am:
freediver wrote on Jan 20th, 2021 at 7:34pm:
The_Barnacle wrote on Jan 17th, 2021 at 11:14am:
freediver wrote on Jan 9th, 2021 at 10:12am:
Quote:
And how do you save anything when bank interest is under 1%?

Plenty of ways. The most obvious is to buy a house. The low interest rates actually help there. Any type of investment you can make with your superannuation you can also make directly. You get better returns, because you make about an extra 1% every year without the compliance costs of superannuation. It is easier and there are more options available.

A owner occupied house doesn't provide any income.
Whilst it's a good goal to own hour house by the time you retire, it is completely useless as a form of retirement income

It is better than income. The money you save on rent is a tax-free return on your investment.

No it's just a reduction in expenses.
You still need an income

It's also a false dichotomy
If you want a comfortable retirement it should be a goal to own your own home AND have superannuation

You are confused Barnacle. Consider the following two scenarios:

You own a $1 000 000 house, which you rent out for $100 000 per year, on which you pay $30 000 in tax. You pay $100 000 per year in rent.

Which scenario is better financially? I'll give you a hint, whether you have a job is irrelevant.

But this has no relevance to superannuation which is intended to provide you with an income in retirement.
Neither of the scenarios you presented provide an income, so they are not relevant as an argument against superannuation

What is the difference between having an extra $100 000 in income and having $100 000 fewer expenses?

You're a pharken dick.

Who has a million dollar home?

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #167 - Jan 25th, 2021 at 8:53am

Gnads wrote on Jan 23rd, 2021 at 7:16pm:
Quote:

Plenty of ways. The most obvious is to buy a house. The low interest rates actually help there. Any type of investment you can make with your superannuation you can also make directly. You get better returns, because you make about an extra 1% every year without the compliance costs of superannuation. It is easier and there are more options available.

Whilst it's a good goal to own hour house by the time you retire, it is completely useless as a form of retirement income

It is better than income. The money you save on rent is a tax-free return on your investment.

You still need an income

If you want a comfortable retirement it should be a goal to own your own home AND have superannuation

Which scenario is better financially? I'll give you a hint, whether you have a job is irrelevant.

But this has no relevance to superannuation which is intended to provide you with an income in retirement.
Neither of the scenarios you presented provide an income, so they are not relevant as an argument against superannuation

You're a pharken dick.

Plenty of people do. The average Sydney price is about $1 million. Try looking past your petty jealousy and you might see the point.

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #168 - Jan 25th, 2021 at 10:02am

freediver wrote on Jan 25th, 2021 at 8:53am:
Gnads wrote on Jan 23rd, 2021 at 7:16pm:
Quote:

You still need an income

You're a pharken dick.

Plenty of people do. The average Sydney price is about $1 million. Try looking past your petty jealousy and you might see the point.

Jealousy has farg all to do with it.

Not every one lives in an over priced, over rated capital city nor a mega trendy coastal getaway.

I wouldn't live in either.

And I reiterate having to sell your family home and go into rental to fund your retirement is stupid.

It benefits no one except landlords like you.

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #169 - Jan 25th, 2021 at 10:06am

Quote:

Sure it does. It's why you completely missed the point, and why you still do not realise you have completely missed the point. The price is irrelevant to what I am saying. I could have made it one dollar or a billion dollars. I was trying to use round numbers to make it simple to understand, but I guess there is a limit to how much you can dumb this down.

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #170 - Jan 25th, 2021 at 10:52am

freediver wrote on Jan 25th, 2021 at 10:06am:
Quote:

Sure it does. It's why you completely missed the point, and why you still do not realise you have completely missed the point. The price is irrelevant to what I am saying. I could have made it one dollar or a billion dollars. I was trying to use round numbers to make it simple to understand, but I guess there is a limit to how much you can dumb this down.

So then it doesn't matter where you live & what your house is worth ........

it's still a dumb & unreasonable idea to have to sell off your family home to fund your retirement & go into rental accom.

Or for that matter remain in or go back into debt because you have to remortgage your house to fund your retirement.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #171 - Jan 25th, 2021 at 10:59am

Have another try Gnads. I'm sure even you can catch up and figure out what we were talking about. I have deleted a zero from the end so it doesn't trigger your jealousy. Consider the following two scenarios:

You own a $100 000 house, which you rent out for $10 000 per year, on which you pay $3000 in tax. You pay $10 000 per year in rent.

You own a $100 000 house. You live in it. You pay no rent.

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #172 - Jan 25th, 2021 at 11:14am

freediver wrote on Jan 25th, 2021 at 10:59am:
Have another try Gnads. I'm sure even you can catch up and figure out what we were talking about. I have deleted a zero from the end so it doesn't trigger your jealousy. Consider the following two scenarios:

You own a $100 000 house, which you rent out for $10 000 per year, on which you pay $3000 in tax. You pay $10 000 per year in rent.

And what has that to do with the benefits of having a superannuation income in retirement & also owning your own home?

You're the one with the bent against super.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #173 - Jan 25th, 2021 at 11:54am

It's a way to invest your money Gnads. It should be obvious. Even when the PM announces that he will not be increasing superannuation because people would be better off having the option to pay off their home loans earlier, the rusted-on unionists cannot figure out why it is relevant, let alone give a straight answer.

Consider the following two scenarios:

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #174 - Jan 25th, 2021 at 12:41pm

Hands up those who object to having their super increased???

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #175 - Jan 25th, 2021 at 1:13pm

You still think it's free money, don't you Grapps?

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #176 - Feb 6th, 2021 at 8:08am

This is what you pay for if you put your money into an industry super fund:

Nation's Biggest Super Lobbyist Goes To War

http://www.ozpolitic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1612378338

Basically, they will take money out of your account to pay for a lobbying campaign to force you to put more of your money into super, so that they can get richer 'managing' it on your behalf, apparently in 'your' best interests.

IP Logged

Captain Nemo
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #177 - Feb 6th, 2021 at 8:37am

I'm in favour of higher Super savings.

I salary sacrificed into mine as I am of the generation who had Super come in part way through their working lives. The more the merrier.  Cool

Mind you, I paid off my home loan very early and have been "debt free" for decades. Cool

I also enjoyed "free education" so had no HECS fees*. Those were the days.  Smiley

Kids today?

Blimey. It must be tough to get a home deposit together.   Sad

As for Super keeping more people off the aged pension? ... that would only succeed if little ratbags like Shorty; Bowen and Chalmers don't get to steal struggling retirees' tax returns.  Wink

* Let's not forget who brought that system into being.

Hint:

Introduction of HECS In 1989, the Hawke Labor Government began gradually re-introducing fees for university study.

The 2025 election could be a shocker.
IP Logged

The_Barnacle
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #178 - Feb 7th, 2021 at 10:03am

freediver wrote on Feb 6th, 2021 at 8:08am:
This is what you pay for if you put your money into an industry super fund:

Nation's Biggest Super Lobbyist Goes To War

http://www.ozpolitic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1612378338

Basically, they will take money out of your account to pay for a lobbying campaign to force you to put more of your money into super, so that they can get richer 'managing' it on your behalf, apparently in 'your' best interests.

So this is basically just another ideological attack on unions by FD. While ignoring that fact that industry super funds provide better returns than retail super funds

Quote:
A Productivity Commission inquiry report found that in the last decade, industry super funds have systematically outperformed retail funds.7 Generally speaking, industry funds are also cheaper than retail funds, since they have fewer overhead costs and no shareholders, so fees are kept relatively low.
https://www.comparethemarket.com.au/blog/money/what-you-need-to-know-about-indus...

The Right Wing only believe in free speech when they agree with what is being said.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #179 - Feb 7th, 2021 at 10:06am

Sure, if you think objecting to them taking your money against your will "for your own good" must be some kind of ideology.

How do industry super funds compare to retail non-super funds?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 
Send Topic Print