Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 14
Send Topic Print
the mindless compulsion to increase super (Read 16874 times)
freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
the mindless compulsion to increase super
Sep 20th, 2020 at 10:04am

Where does it come from?

There is a strong, vocal, unquestioning (and hopefully minority) view that increasing super is "necessary". The people pushing this view can never explain why it is necessary.

Here are some recent examples:

http://www.ozpolitic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1600462845

http://www.ozpolitic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1597456849/5#5

http://www.ozpolitic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1593668457/44#44

Meanwhile, the average person is losing thousands of dollars from their savings every year just to fill out the required government paperwork. And that is before they pay for the conventional cost of managing the investment. At the same time, the government is complaining that the country cannot afford the tax breaks people get through their super.

I have a theory that this vocal minority has deluded itself into thinking that superannuation does not come out of their salary. This is because rather than being presented the same way as a tax, super is presented as being 'on top of' their base salary. So people think it is a freebie that comes out of the company profits rather than their own salary.

The company is not going to tell employees that their salary is being reduced, or they are missing out on raises, to pay for super. That would make them unpopular. Most of the well-written propaganda of course comes from the super industry itself - the people being paid billions of dollars a year to complete the government paperwork, and billions more to manage the funds. They are obviously rubbing their hands with glee at the prospect of the government forcing everyone to hand their money over to them. They are already hoovering up about 10% of GDP.

There is also a strong link with the unions, who appear to view super as merely another tool in salary negotiations, and to hell with the consequences for everyone else - and for their own members when the union cannot negotiate a real salary increase because employers are sending their salary to superannuation companies. Unions are probably at the pointy end of the mindless, irrational compulsion, because being mindless and irrational is their core business.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Ajax
Gold Member

CO2 has never controlled
temperature on Earth

Australia
Re: the mindless compulsion to increase super
Reply #1 - Sep 20th, 2020 at 10:11am

Its just another way of grabbing peoples money investing it and paying the people peanuts along the way.

1. There has never been a more serious assault on our standard of living than Anthropogenic Global Warming..Ajax
2. "One hour of freedom is worth more than 40 years of slavery &  prison" Regas Feraeos

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #2 - Sep 20th, 2020 at 10:16am

Quote:
Where does it come from?

There is a strong, vocal, unquestioning (and hopefully minority) view that increasing super is "necessary". The people pushing this view can never explain why it is necessary.

Plan B = increase the pension age or cutting the pension.

This is the reason it was introduced and the result of the Liberals blocking increases has been to increase the pension age and a second attempt to increase it more.

IP Logged

Jest
Gold Member

Australian Politics

NSW South Coast
Reply #3 - Sep 20th, 2020 at 10:17am

Govt run Superannuation schemes are the best thing ever. All superannuation schemes should be run the same way, by Govt and without private enterprise involvement.

Also I believe there is justification in making it compulsory to pay a minimum amount into the fund so that people are not a burden on the community in later life AND withdrawing your money B4 retirement shouldn't be permitted.

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #4 - Sep 20th, 2020 at 10:27am

Quote:
Govt run Superannuation schemes are the best thing ever. All superannuation schemes should be run the same way, by Govt and without private enterprise involvement.

Do you think government bureaucrats will do a better job of investing your savings than private fund managers?

IP Logged

Jest
Gold Member

Australian Politics

NSW South Coast
Reply #5 - Sep 20th, 2020 at 10:33am

freediver wrote on Sep 20th, 2020 at 10:27am:
Quote:

Do you think government bureaucrats will do a better job of investing your savings than private fund managers?

Absolutely!! I know from experience. Plus they don't take Commissions, charge fees for everything including scratching their bum and take big risks because its more profitable for them or they're helping out a mate. 

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #6 - Sep 20th, 2020 at 10:34am

Jest wrote on Sep 20th, 2020 at 10:33am:
Quote:

Absolutely!! I know from experience. Plus they don't take Commissions, charge fees for everything including scratching their bum and take big risks because its more profitable for them or they're helping out a mate. 

If they don't take commissions, who pays them?

IP Logged

Jest
Gold Member

Australian Politics

NSW South Coast
Reply #7 - Sep 20th, 2020 at 10:36am

Quote:

Every Australian should be on the Govt run Superannuation scheme that I'm on. It would make Australia much richer and it would give all Australians a comfortable retirement

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #8 - Sep 20th, 2020 at 10:38am

Jest wrote on Sep 20th, 2020 at 10:36am:
Quote:

Every Australian should be on the Govt run Superannuation scheme that I'm on. It would make Australia much richer and it would give all Australians a comfortable retirement

Can you prove that it would make everyone richer?

IP Logged

Jest
Gold Member

Australian Politics

NSW South Coast
Reply #9 - Sep 20th, 2020 at 10:40am

freediver wrote on Sep 20th, 2020 at 10:34am:
Quote:

The fund takes out its running costs. They send me a report every few months.  They're good experienced investors who invest on sound principles.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #10 - Sep 20th, 2020 at 10:43am

Jest wrote on Sep 20th, 2020 at 10:40am:
Quote:

The fund takes out its running costs. They send me a report every few months.  They're good experienced investors who invest on sound principles.

So you are speaking largely from ignorance and propaganda?

IP Logged

Jest
Gold Member

Australian Politics

NSW South Coast
Reply #11 - Sep 20th, 2020 at 10:44am

freediver wrote on Sep 20th, 2020 at 10:38am:
Quote:

I said it would make australia much richer and it would give all Australians a comfortable retirement. The last part is based on my experience about me, the first part is my belief based on some research I did many years ago on soverign wealth funds like Norway's sovereign wealth fund. Though it gets an added boost from its vast oil reserves.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #12 - Sep 20th, 2020 at 10:48am

Jest wrote on Sep 20th, 2020 at 10:44am:
Quote:

I said it would make australia much richer and it would give all Australians a comfortable retirement. The last part is based on my experience about me, the first part is my belief based on some research I did many years ago on soverign wealth funds like Norway's sovereign wealth fund. Though it gets an added boost from its vast oil reserves.   

So based on your experience about you and something that happened in Norway, you can confidently predict that the government-run super fund that you are on would make the whole country richer?

Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Jest
Gold Member

Australian Politics

NSW South Coast
Reply #13 - Sep 20th, 2020 at 10:48am

freediver wrote on Sep 20th, 2020 at 10:43am:
Jest wrote on Sep 20th, 2020 at 10:40am:
Quote:

So you are speaking largely from ignorance and propaganda?

No I leave speaking from ignorance and propaganda to you. You excel at that, I can't compete.  I live on my super fund. I have no added investments because I dont need them. I enjoy a good comfortable lifestyle and B4 Covid I used to travel regularly overseas and hope to again soon.   

IP Logged

Jest
Gold Member

Australian Politics

NSW South Coast
Reply #14 - Sep 20th, 2020 at 10:53am

freediver wrote on Sep 20th, 2020 at 10:48am:
Jest wrote on Sep 20th, 2020 at 10:44am:
Quote:

So based on your experience about you and something that happened in Norway, you can confidently predict that the government-run super fund that you are on would make the whole country richer?

Roll Eyes

Yes based on my experiance. Ohh and my brother in laws experience who is in the private fund the Bank he worked for runs. He rings me regularly to weep about how he wishes he was in my fund. I agree with him. He worked hard. he deserves to have the same benefits as me but because he's in a private fund, set up primarily to make the bank wealthier he will never do as well as my fund.  Its obvious really. Only propagandists would pretend otherwise.

Ohh and yes, my many former work colleagues who live an equally comfortable retirement and often rejoice with me that they're in our Govt run Super fund and not a parasitic predatory super fund. Believe me that's the last thing you want to have to deal with in your retirement.  Your retirement isn't about getting old. Its about that next stage in your life, making new discoveries about life and you cant do that if you dont have enough to live on and having to deal with a private for profit Super fund looking for yet another way to fleece you. That's just miserable and guaranteed to ruin your retirement.
« Last Edit: Sep 20th, 2020 at 11:05am by Jest »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 14
Send Topic Print