Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Industry Super Funds Calling MPs Hypocrites (Read 1560 times)
Mix_Master
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Industry Super Funds Calling MPs Hypocrites
Reply #15 - Sep 20th, 2020 at 11:00am

I believe I mention this specifically. Though it would help if you were clearer about what you mean.

I'm referring to things such as:

1) Insurance - particularly "junk" insurance which effectively can't be claimed on.

2) "Advisor" fees -  particularly "fees for no service", as highlighted in the Financial Services RC.

3) Other miscellaneous fees and charges, which provide no benefit to the client. (Exit fees - since banned - would be one such example).

I disagree with the idea of abandoning Super, primarily because given the "choice" many people will not put aside something for their future...many simply because they'll feel they don't have a choice (Cost of Living pressures etc.)

The Super system has its faults, granted. And Governments constantly tinkering with the rules don't help.

But at least "forcing" people to save *something* through their working lives gives them a shot at a reasonable retirement. Because I'd be willing to bet that the Age Pension, as a social safety net, will be all but inaccessible in a number of years.

Without something in the kitty, what would people do then...?

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #16 - Sep 20th, 2020 at 11:09am

Quote:
1) Insurance - particularly "junk" insurance which effectively can't be claimed on.

Always optional, as far as I know. I certainly opt out.

Quote:
2) "Advisor" fees -  particularly "fees for no service", as highlighted in the Financial Services RC.

This used to piss me off with managed funds. I got out of it for 10 years because none of the funds would even let me invest without nominating an advisor to take a massive cut. Or they would take it themselves if I did not. That's changed since the reforms.

Quote:
3) Other miscellaneous fees and charges, which provide no benefit to the client. (Exit fees - since banned - would be one such example).

Again, now irrelevant. Even when it was legal, it was easy enough to avoid. There is still a buy-sell spread, but you can shop around on this, and it is a genuine cost.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Jest
Gold Member

Australian Politics

NSW South Coast
Reply #17 - Sep 20th, 2020 at 12:03pm

Valkie wrote on Sep 20th, 2020 at 9:23am:
When I started work nearly 50 years ago, I signed up for super.

I was on a wage of around $18,000.00 a year, which was average.

I was advised that at my retirement, I would have a princely sum of around $175,000.00 to retire on, quite a massive ammount in the 70s.

But over the years, inflation decimated early super contributions and the $175,000.00 would be worthless.

Fees, Charges, and all manner of fiddles saw my super grow barely by the amount I contributed, sometimes less.

Up until around 15 years ago, my super was going nowhere, I also lost 10 years of contributions when the company choofed off and stole my super.

That was the final straw for me.
I went looking for a better way and found a super fund managed like a business, secure and fees only taken from the profits.
No profit, no fee.

In the last 15 years my super surpassed anything the previous 30 years even considered.

Im now retired at 62 with a comfortable income.

Super is a rort

My daughters invest in property and are already nearly independent.
My eldest expects to retire soon and simply live off property investment portfolios.

Until we get the same super fund as the public service parasites get "Futures fund" we are all screwed.

But then, we all know the politiocians and senior public serve us all get far far more that they could ever deserve.

That sounds like some so called AMP Superfund. It wasnt a Govt run super fund. Sounds like a private enterprise insurance scam. Who was it with?

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

IP Logged

Jest
Gold Member

Australian Politics

NSW South Coast
Reply #18 - Sep 20th, 2020 at 12:09pm

freediver wrote on Sep 20th, 2020 at 11:09am:
Quote:

Again, now irrelevant. Even when it was legal, it was easy enough to avoid. There is still a buy-sell spread, but you can shop around on this, and it is a genuine cost.

Now irrelevant until they cook up another scam. Truth is you cant have Inquiries fast enough to keep up with the scams they cook up to fleece you. 

Superannuation is like healthcare. Private enterprise doesn't belong because its about private profit and not the interests of the customer.

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

IP Logged

Mix_Master
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #19 - Sep 23rd, 2020 at 1:44pm

Might as well weigh in here again...

Another article in The Age, this one about the LNP's ideological war on Industry Super.

Senator Andrew Bragg is there, as usual shilling for anything that isn't Industry Super.

"Senator Bragg will tell the conference he is "pragmatic" about the future of superannuation and wants to fix a system that was "30 years old and not delivering". Bad Egg, a scathing book he wrote in early 2020, has put him at odds with the super industry as it raised concerns he has with the system, accused super funds of becoming major political donors and suggested significant reforms."

Not delivering, Andrew? I don't know...the Industry Funds and their members seem to be doing alright.

Would your definition of "delivering" be a bunch of people having their next eggs eroded over the years by for-profit funds acting in the interests of shareholders first and foremost?

Doesn't quite pass the pub test, mate.

You have to wonder why these people constantly attack Industry Super, when it has so far outperformed Retail Funds over the last 30-odd years, it is not even funny.

Perhaps it's because the Industry funds (A) don't donate to the LNP, and (B) they are slowly but surely reducing their exposure to investments in the COALitions favoured fossil fuel industries...?

I don't know about others, but I for one will continue to watch the tit-for-tat between Bragg/Wilson and the industry funds with a degree of mirth.

Why?

Because the Royal Commission into Financial Services - the one the LNP had to be dragged kicking and screaming to set up - basically vindicated what Industry Super is doing. That is, providing solid outcomes for members. (Something the Retail Funds have consistently failed to do anywhere near as well).

What must really grate on these people, is that the RC also cemented the role the Industry Funds play, in the minds of many average mug punters.

Like or loathe Super...it's immaterial.

Super is here to stay. And the Industry Funds are too.

The LNP can take that and smoke it, for all I care.
« Last Edit: Sep 23rd, 2020 at 1:52pm by Mix_Master »  

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #20 - Sep 23rd, 2020 at 9:11pm

whiteknight wrote on Sep 19th, 2020 at 7:00am:
Keating hits out at government over superannuation

Former prime minister Paul Keating has accused the Federal Government of breaking an election promise by "touching" the superannuation scheme.

Out of politics for 20 years but with a park named after him. Noice. Relevant, like.

PAUL KEATING PARK
​​Located in the Bankstown CBD area, Paul Keating Park is often used for special events.

Features
Amphitheatre
Exeloos (wheelchair access)
Seating
Sheltered play equipment
Equal access
Liberty Swing​
Nearby parking

Bankstown
NSW, 2200
https://www.cbcity.nsw.gov.au/environment/parks-reserves/paul-keating-park

Banality where most of them end their days. Their followers make them banal - they name parks with exeloos after them. And sheltered equipment and equal access.

There is no escape from these banal idiots, they have conquered the public space and made it heir own. I voted for Keating in 96, I was captured then.  I have made my lucky escape since but most/many haven't.

Now it's a park with ecoloos with wheelchair access. Because that's what matters todays - shitting from a wheelchair. The rest is all ephemera.

Estragon: I can’t go on like this.
Vladimir: That’s what you think.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print