Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Industry Super Funds Calling MPs Hypocrites (Read 1561 times)
whiteknight
Gold Member

Australian Politics

melbourne
Industry Super Funds Calling MPs Hypocrites
Sep 19th, 2020 at 7:00am

'Not your job': Superannuation Minister says super funds forget their role
Sydney Morning Herald
September 18, 2020

Assistant Minister for Superannuation Jane Hume has lashed out at industry super funds, saying their role is not to create jobs, rebuild the economy or get involved in the climate debate but to bolster retirement incomes for workers.

In a sign of mounting frustration between industry super funds and the federal government, Senator Hume accused Industry Super Australia of being "noisy" and "belligerent" and said it did not represent the views of some of its own member funds' bosses.

Industry Super represents 15 industry funds, including AustralianSuper, CBus, HESTA and HostPlus, that collectively hold the retirement savings of 5 million members. Since June, HESTA, CBus and UniSuper have all revealed plans to cut carbon emissions to zero by 2050.

"Some of these funds have got very big and very influential and they seem to forget their job isn't to rebuild the economy or create jobs or reframe the climate debate or require industrial relations changes at companies they invest in," Senator Hume said, adding the industry super sector accounted for about 40 per cent of accounts in the $3 trillion superannuation system.

Treasurer Josh Frydenberg said in June that retail and industry super funds should take a bigger role in local infrastructure investments. Industry Super and several fund CEOs responded by saying stable policy settings, including around the super guarantee rise, would be needed to ensure long-term investments could be made.

Industry Super chief executive Bernie Dean said he wanted to talk to the government about how to build a better future for members, but "instead of projects, pipelines and partnerships we're getting petty point scoring" and "name-calling".   Sad

He said the sector had advocated for reforms to drive down fees and end conflicted remuneration models and would "not stop".

"We have supported the Prime Minister, Treasurer and assistant minister in their repeated promises on super and we want to work with them to get sensible changes up that will boost member savings, get the economy moving and stop that ticking time bomb of our ageing population," he said.

Industry Super has called individual MPs "hypocrites" for opposing a rise in the superannuation guarantee from 9 per cent to 12 per cent by 2025. The Morrison government is still considering the future of this legislation but the lobby group has warned a backflip on the rise would put at risk a $33 billion pipeline of investment from the funds over the next five years, which would help generate jobs and revive the economy.   Sad

Senator Hume said many industry super CEOs and chairs "roll their eyes at the weird, shrill militancy of their lobby groups" in conversations with her.

Keating hits out at government over superannuation
Former prime minister Paul Keating has accused the Federal Government of breaking an election promise by "touching" the superannuation scheme.

"It's only the industry super lobby [out of the superannuation system] which is by far the most noisy, most belligerent, most resistant to change or improvement and they are also by far the most well-funded lobby group around," Senator Hume said.

The super funds have also been critical of the federal government's decision to allow struggling workers to access up to $20,000 from their retirement nest egg at the height of the coronavirus pandemic and have warned any moves to extend this will be met with resistance from the industry. So far $33 billion has been withdrawn from super accounts.

Industry Super has raised concerns about ineligible applications to the scheme and launched a marketing campaign online about the effects on retirement balances of withdrawing the money early.

IP Logged

whiteknight
Gold Member

Australian Politics

melbourne
Re: Industry Super Funds Calling MPs Hypocrites
Reply #1 - Sep 19th, 2020 at 7:12am

Industry Super has called individual MPs "hypocrites" for opposing a rise in the superannuation guarantee from 9 per cent to 12 per cent by 2025.  Yes super must be increased to 12 per cent.   Sad

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #2 - Sep 19th, 2020 at 7:34am

Quote:
Yes super must be increased to 12 per cent.

Why?

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

whiteknight
Gold Member

Australian Politics

melbourne
Reply #3 - Sep 19th, 2020 at 7:46am

Super was never supposed to stay at 9.5 per cent forever   Sad

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #4 - Sep 19th, 2020 at 8:00am

Are you quoting the Bible?

IP Logged

Mix_Master
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Sep 19th, 2020 at 12:17pm

When the Minister responsible for Superannuation says

"It's only the industry super lobby [out of the superannuation system] which is by far the most noisy, most belligerent, most resistant to change or improvement and they are also by far the most well-funded lobby group around..."

You do have to wonder why that person is in the job.

Maybe it's just me, but I do worry for the financial futures of many people who will be relying on Super, when we have people ideologically opposed to it effectively " in charge" of it (from a policy perspective).

For the Senator's (and other apologist's benefit), the Financial Services RC was quite strident about wrongs in the Fimancial Services Sector (including various Superannuation funds).

The industry funds got little more than a passing mention.

Why?

Um, maybe because they actually "do what it says on the tin" (in other words, actually act first and foremost in the interests of members).

The Retail Funds, not so much. Or at all. In fact, at least one of them is on record as admitting that they "put the interests of shareholders above the interests of clients".

Why would you ever have your Super invested in a Fund like that???

So why is this person having a go at Industry Super Funds, and not Retail Funds (which were rightly pilloried at the Financial Services RC)?

Because one "lot" sits on the LNP donor's side of the fence. The other, while actually doing good for working people, is apparently a "Union Project", and by definition must be bad.

In fact, anything which actually advances workers' interests must, by definition, be bad, according to the ideologues.

We really do need some kind of independent body set up, to ensure that Governments actually govern in the National, rather than Sectional, interests.

Let's face it, if this Senator was actually working in the interests of the many, she'd be applauding the good funds management that the Industry Funds have been responsible for, for years.

As usual, there'll be *crickets* from the Right Wing apologists... Roll Eyes

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #6 - Sep 19th, 2020 at 12:22pm

Quote:
Maybe it's just me, but I do worry for the financial futures of many people who will be relying on Super, when we have people ideologically opposed to it effectively " in charge" of it (from a policy perspective).

Do you think people might be better off if they could manage their own savings?

IP Logged

Mix_Master
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Sep 20th, 2020 at 8:37am

freediver wrote on Sep 19th, 2020 at 12:22pm:
Quote:

Would it be great if everyone could "manage" their own savings? Yes.

The fact that many people withdrew Super for the purchase of consumer products suggests that many couldn't.

Would it be great if financial literacy was actually taught in schools? Yes. Too many vested interests for that to happen, though...

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #8 - Sep 20th, 2020 at 9:10am

Mix_Master wrote on Sep 20th, 2020 at 8:37am:
Quote:

The fact that many people withdrew Super for the purchase of consumer products suggests that many couldn't.

Would it be great if financial literacy was actually taught in schools? Yes. Too many vested interests for that to happen, though...

Do you think making financial decisions for these people you look down on is worth the cost of thousands of dollars taken from people's savings every year just to manage government paperwork?

IP Logged

Bam
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Sep 20th, 2020 at 9:19am

freediver wrote on Sep 19th, 2020 at 7:34am:
Quote:

Why?

Politicians have their super at 15.4%. Do you think there be one rule for politicians and another for workers, or do you want politicians to cut their super to the super guarantee rate?

You are not entitled to your opinion. You are only entitled to hold opinions that you can defend through sound, reasoned argument.

IP Logged

Valkie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Central Coast
Reply #10 - Sep 20th, 2020 at 9:23am

When I started work nearly 50 years ago, I signed up for super.

I was on a wage of around $18,000.00 a year, which was average.

I was advised that at my retirement, I would have a princely sum of around $175,000.00 to retire on, quite a massive ammount in the 70s.

But over the years, inflation decimated early super contributions and the $175,000.00 would be worthless.

Fees, Charges, and all manner of fiddles saw my super grow barely by the amount I contributed, sometimes less.

Up until around 15 years ago, my super was going nowhere, I also lost 10 years of contributions when the company choofed off and stole my super.

That was the final straw for me.
I went looking for a better way and found a super fund managed like a business, secure and fees only taken from the profits.
No profit, no fee.

In the last 15 years my super surpassed anything the previous 30 years even considered.

Im now retired at 62 with a comfortable income.

Super is a rort

My daughters invest in property and are already nearly independent.
My eldest expects to retire soon and simply live off property investment portfolios.

Until we get the same super fund as the public service parasites get "Futures fund" we are all screwed.

But then, we all know the politiocians and senior public serve us all get far far more that they could ever deserve.

I HAVE A DREAM
A WONDERFUL, PEACEFUL, BEAUTIFUL DREAM.
A DREAM OF A WORLD THAT HAS NEVER KNOWN ISLAM
A DREAM OF A WORLD FREE FROM THE HORRORS OF ISLAM.

SUCH A WONDERFUL DREAM
O HOW I WISH IT WERE TRU

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #11 - Sep 20th, 2020 at 9:36am

Bam wrote on Sep 20th, 2020 at 9:19am:
freediver wrote on Sep 19th, 2020 at 7:34am:
Quote:

Why?

Politicians have their super at 15.4%. Do you think there be one rule for politicians and another for workers, or do you want politicians to cut their super to the super guarantee rate?

It's the same rule for everyone. I think the politicians are more than capable of looking after their own interests. What worries me is the average employee losing thousands of dollars every year from their savings on government imposed paperwork because you don't trust them to look after their own money.

Are you avoiding the question, or do you consider your response to be an explanation of why super must be increased to 12%?

IP Logged

Ajax
Gold Member

CO2 has never controlled
temperature on Earth

Australia
Reply #12 - Sep 20th, 2020 at 9:37am

Quote:
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered.... I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies.... The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."

Thomas Jefferson

1. There has never been a more serious assault on our standard of living than Anthropogenic Global Warming..Ajax
2. "One hour of freedom is worth more than 40 years of slavery &  prison" Regas Feraeos

IP Logged

Mix_Master
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - Sep 20th, 2020 at 10:39am

freediver wrote on Sep 20th, 2020 at 9:10am:
Mix_Master wrote on Sep 20th, 2020 at 8:37am:
Quote:

Do you think making financial decisions for these people you look down on is worth the cost of thousands of dollars taken from people's savings every year just to manage government paperwork?

Who said I look down on anyone?

I stated what would seem to be a fact (i.e. most who withdrew Super, spent it on things unrelated to "getting by").

So, leaving aside your pointless enmity, the question should have been phrased thus:

Quote:
Do you think making financial decisions for these people is worth the cost of thousands of dollars taken from people's savings every year just to manage government paperwork?

And the answer, given historic returns through Industry Funds would be a resounding "yes".

Questions:

Firstly, if there really is so much money squandered in regulatory paperwork, perhaps it's the Government which should be doing what they claim to be for (i.e. reducing the cost of compliance)?

Secondly, you mention regulatory paperwork costs (rightly) as an unnecessary burden on the performance of peoples' retirement savings, but make no mention of the $$$ more hived off in "ticket clipping" through-life - esp. by the retail funds...Why?

Surely, in any rational discussion WRT overall returns - and the impost of costs along the way - you'd start there, wouldn't you?

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #14 - Sep 20th, 2020 at 10:40am

Quote:
Firstly, if there really is so much money squandered in regulatory paperwork, perhaps it's the Government which should be doing what they claim to be for (i.e. reducing the cost of compliance)?

The best way to do that is to abandon superannuation. While it remains a regulated scheme that people will inevitably try to take from, compliance costs will be high.

Quote:
Secondly, you mention regulatory paperwork costs (rightly) as an unnecessary burden on the performance of peoples' retirement savings, but make no mention of the $$$ more hived off in "ticket clipping" through-life - esp. by the retail funds...Why?

I believe I mention this specifically. Though it would help if you were clearer about what you mean.

Quote:
Surely, in any rational discussion WRT overall returns - and the impost of costs along the way - you'd start there, wouldn't you?

People tend to be rational about other costs.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print