Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
PM Prepared To Quarantine For State Election (Read 742 times)
whiteknight
Gold Member

Australian Politics

melbourne
PM Prepared To Quarantine For State Election
Sep 18th, 2020 at 7:23am

PM prepared to quarantine for Queensland election   Huh
September 17 2020 New Daily.
Prime Minister Scott Morrison is prepared to go into 14-day hotel quarantine if he heads to Queensland during the state election campaign. 

All travellers from NSW, the ACT and Victoria must go into quarantine upon arrival in the state under the government’s strict COVID-19 rules.

This means federal politicians, including the Prime Minister and Opposition Leader Anthony Albanese, will have to comply if they decide to campaign in Queensland ahead of the state’s October 31 election.

While Mr Morrison might not have time to get on the hustings, with the federal budget due on October 6 and a parliamentary sitting, he’s prepared to undergo quarantine.

“Whether I was ever going to get to Queensland anyway was a sort of secondary issue. I have a federal responsibility,” the Prime Minister told Seven’s Sunrise program on Thursday.

“But I should be subject to the same rules like everybody else. I don’t think there should be double standards about these things. I think the same rules should apply.”

But the Prime Minister might not need to quarantine after the Queensland government indicated on Wednesday that border restrictions with the ACT and NSW could be eased at the end of September.

Mr Morrison again called on the Queensland government to implement a fairer quarantine exemption system.

“We have to deal with the virus, not let the virus destroy the way we live,” he said.

Compassionate quarantine exemptions have become a potent issue in the run-up to the state election.

The LNP has branded Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk “heartless”, while the government has accused the opposition of using family tragedies for political gain.

Last week, a case involving a quarantining Canberra woman who was denied permission to attend her father’s funeral rose to national prominence after Mr Morrison tried to intervene.

The woman was eventually allowed to view her father’s body in private after the funeral, while dressed in full personal protective equipment.

The woman’s step-sister later wrote an open letter criticising Mr Morrison’s involvement, saying he had whipped up a “media storm” to further his “political agenda”.   Sad

IP Logged

Mix_Master
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: PM Prepared To Quarantine For State Election
Reply #1 - Sep 18th, 2020 at 1:38pm

whiteknight wrote on Sep 18th, 2020 at 7:23am:
PM prepared to quarantine for Queensland election   Huh
September 17 2020 New Daily.
Prime Minister Scott Morrison is prepared to go into 14-day hotel quarantine if he heads to Queensland during the state election campaign. 

All travellers from NSW, the ACT and Victoria must go into quarantine upon arrival in the state under the government’s strict COVID-19 rules.

This means federal politicians, including the Prime Minister and Opposition Leader Anthony Albanese, will have to comply if they decide to campaign in Queensland ahead of the state’s October 31 election.

While Mr Morrison might not have time to get on the hustings, with the federal budget due on October 6 and a parliamentary sitting, he’s prepared to undergo quarantine.

“Whether I was ever going to get to Queensland anyway was a sort of secondary issue. I have a federal responsibility,” the Prime Minister told Seven’s Sunrise program on Thursday.

“But I should be subject to the same rules like everybody else. I don’t think there should be double standards about these things. I think the same rules should apply.”

But the Prime Minister might not need to quarantine after the Queensland government indicated on Wednesday that border restrictions with the ACT and NSW could be eased at the end of September.

Mr Morrison again called on the Queensland government to implement a fairer quarantine exemption system.

“We have to deal with the virus, not let the virus destroy the way we live,” he said.

Compassionate quarantine exemptions have become a potent issue in the run-up to the state election.

The LNP has branded Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk “heartless”, while the government has accused the opposition of using family tragedies for political gain.

Last week, a case involving a quarantining Canberra woman who was denied permission to attend her father’s funeral rose to national prominence after Mr Morrison tried to intervene.

The woman was eventually allowed to view her father’s body in private after the funeral, while dressed in full personal protective equipment.

The woman’s step-sister later wrote an open letter criticising Mr Morrison’s involvement, saying he had whipped up a “media storm” to further his “political agenda”.   Sad

Or maybe those of us in Queensland could let him know - on the quiet, like - that he's not required.

If he's coming up here to campaign on behalf of the QLD LNP, I suspect that he's wasting his time. Too many people scarred by the Newman horror show (and cognisant of the fact that many of those same people still "infest" that party).

Saves him going into hotel quarantine. And saves the rest of us having to foot the bill.

Surely there's other ways he can waste taxpayers' money?

Perhaps go and have another look at those colour-coded spreadsheets?

IP Logged

Carl D
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Rivervale, Perth
Reply #2 - Sep 18th, 2020 at 2:05pm

Someone should whisper in ScoMo's ear and tell him not to bother coming to WA either before the State election next March.

Especially after this:

https://www.pressreader.com/australia/the-west-australian/20200918/2827634740605...

ScoMo would have to be a complete idiot if he doesn't know already that the Liberal Party doesn't have a snowball's chance in hell of winning next year's WA State election.

"Masks are sand in the gears of the economy" - some f-wit pollie or big business CEO.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Sep 18th, 2020 at 2:07pm

Can't we just send him to Hawaii for a few months, while the adults do what they need to do?

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #4 - Sep 18th, 2020 at 2:47pm

greggerypeccary wrote on Sep 18th, 2020 at 2:07pm:
Can't we just send him to Hawaii for a few months, while the adults do what they need to do?

Then he will have to quarantine on his return.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Sep 18th, 2020 at 2:48pm

UnSubRocky wrote on Sep 18th, 2020 at 2:47pm:

Can't we just let him stay in Hawaii?

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Sep 18th, 2020 at 3:08pm

Carl D wrote on Sep 18th, 2020 at 2:05pm:
Someone should whisper in ScoMo's ear and tell him not to bother coming to WA either before the State election next March.

Especially after this:

https://www.pressreader.com/australia/the-west-australian/20200918/2827634740605...

ScoMo would have to be a complete idiot if he doesn't know already that the Liberal Party doesn't have a snowball's chance in hell of winning next year's WA State election.

SERIOUSY!!!

its Albo who being telling  us to use the RAAF to get them home quicker....

you have rocks for brains mate.. hes the one agitating....and the other premiers all agreed to take more   only your miserable State seems to think its far too important...perhaps you will remember that when the others decide what share of the GST you get.. Angry Angryso much for giving a damn about your FELLOW AUSTRALIANS.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Sep 18th, 2020 at 3:09pm

greggerypeccary wrote on Sep 18th, 2020 at 2:48pm:

dont tell me you want the sleeping rip van winkle ALBO to run the country....... Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Sep 18th, 2020 at 3:19pm

cods wrote on Sep 18th, 2020 at 3:09pm:

dont tell me you want the sleeping rip van winkle ALBO to run the country....... Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

No, he's in opposition.

I'm not sure you fully understand what that means.

You had the same dig at Biden, but he's not in power.

Anyway, if Scotty from Marketing (sacked from his last job for theft & fraud) stays in Hawaii Michael McCormack would be running the country.

He's just as bad as Scotty.

Maybe send them both to Hawaii, and let Greg Hunt have a go.

IP Logged

Carl D
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Rivervale, Perth
Reply #9 - Sep 18th, 2020 at 3:24pm

cods wrote on Sep 18th, 2020 at 3:08pm:

Especially after this:

SERIOUSY!!!

you have rocks for brains mate.. hes the one agitating....and the other premiers all agreed to take more   only your miserable State seems to think its far too important...perhaps you will remember that when the others decide what share of the GST you get.. Angry Angryso much for giving a damn about your FELLOW AUSTRALIANS.

No, cods, I don't give a damn about people who only want to call themselves "Australians" when it suits them, i.e. I believe a large number of them only want to come "home" to Australia now because they think it is safer here regarding COVID-19. Which it probably is - for now.

Did ScoMo tell a lie back in March when he warned "Australians" living overseas that they only had a few weeks to get back to Australia then the borders will close and they wouldn't be able to return? Considering the fact that nearly 400,000 have come back here since then would seem to suggest that yes - he did tell a lie (or he didn't really have a clue - take your pick).

And, I'll bet as soon as this pandemic is over the majority of them will be heading off back overseas to their "other homes" (for tax purposes or whatever). A lot of them are no doubt "dual citizens" and, as I've said in the past, its about time someone put a stop to that rort.

But, what I do give a damn about, however, is keeping WA as "covid free" as possible and with the ever increasing numbers of these "returned travellers", the chances of a Victorian style quarantine fiasco increases dramatically. We've already had a few close calls here even with the numbers we've had returning up until now.

As I said yesterday, maybe ScoMo should be quarantining most of these "returned travellers" at Parliament House in Canberra?

"Masks are sand in the gears of the economy" - some f-wit pollie or big business CEO.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - Sep 18th, 2020 at 3:38pm

Carl D wrote on Sep 18th, 2020 at 3:24pm:
cods wrote on Sep 18th, 2020 at 3:08pm:

Especially after this:

SERIOUSY!!!

No, cods, I don't give a damn about people who only want to call themselves "Australians" when it suits them, i.e. I believe a large number of them only want to come "home" to Australia now because they think it is safer here regarding COVID-19. Which it probably is - for now.

Did ScoMo tell a lie back in March when he warned "Australians" living overseas that they only had a few weeks to get back to Australia then the borders will close and they wouldn't be able to return? Considering the fact that nearly 400,000 have come back here since then would seem to suggest that yes - he did tell a lie (or he didn't really have a clue - take your pick).

And, I'll bet as soon as this pandemic is over the majority of them will be heading off back overseas to their "other homes" (for tax purposes or whatever). A lot of them are no doubt "dual citizens" and, as I've said in the past, its about time someone put a stop to that rort.

But, what I do give a damn about, however, is keeping WA as "covid free" as possible and with the ever increasing numbers of these "returned travellers", the chances of a Victorian style quarantine fiasco increases dramatically. We've already had a few close calls here even with the numbers we've had returning up until now.

As I said yesterday, maybe ScoMo should be quarantining most of these "returned travellers" at Parliament House in Canberra?

\
maybe   then one son went back to Greece to care for his sick mum and dad before this happened.....maybe they have died I dont know but he wants to return...

he will be happy to know how you feel about that..

Angry Angry

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #11 - Sep 18th, 2020 at 3:42pm

What 'son?'  Is this yet another one of your blatant lies, Karen?

IP Logged

Carl D
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Rivervale, Perth
Reply #12 - Sep 18th, 2020 at 3:53pm

Anyway, I keep seeing a figure of about 25,000 for the number of people "stranded overseas" wanting to return "home" to Australia.

https://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-updates/health-safety/good-news-for-strand...

So, at 6,000 arrivals a week they should all be back here in just over a month, shouldn't they?

What's the bet that the number will still be 25,000 (or even more) in a month's time? So, what's up with that?

I believe this was probably answered here:

http://www.ozpolitic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1600153066/28#28

IP Logged

Bam
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - Sep 18th, 2020 at 6:01pm

No. Morrison's closed the borders so nobody can leave. Oh, the hypocrisy.

You are not entitled to your opinion. You are only entitled to hold opinions that you can defend through sound, reasoned argument.

IP Logged

Bam
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #14 - Sep 18th, 2020 at 6:02pm

cods wrote on Sep 18th, 2020 at 3:09pm:
dont tell me you want the sleeping rip van winkle ALBO to run the country.......

At least Albo would have a decent go at running the country. Do-nothing Morrison is ruining it.

You are not entitled to your opinion. You are only entitled to hold opinions that you can defend through sound, reasoned argument.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #15 - Sep 18th, 2020 at 6:14pm

Bam wrote on Sep 18th, 2020 at 6:01pm:

No. Morrison's closed the borders so nobody can leave. Oh, the hypocrisy.

what borders are you talking about..

every day planes are flying into this country...and flying out again..

my daughter went back to Laos only last week....

no one has closed our borders only  to Victoria  because the incompetent labor premier couldnt  cope down there..

btw qld has opened its borders to ACT residence... even though an awful lot of them spend a lot of time in NSW....where the bad people live.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #16 - Sep 19th, 2020 at 7:07am

The natives there might get sick of him walking around cross-eyed and overly smug. They will send him back one way or another.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print