Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 23
Send Topic Print
Unions want to kill non-Union industries (Read 24505 times)
freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Unions want to kill non-Union industries
Aug 13th, 2020 at 10:23am

Whitenight has been posting a lot of union propaganda about backpackers picking fruit lately. I'm not sure if this is a new union focus or the result of random copying and pasting. A lot of our fruit farmers would go broke if they had to compete against the mines and gas companies to mobilise a large workforce each picking season, while also competing against foreign farms that either have dirt cheap labour or massive government subsidies.

At first I thought they just wanted to send farmers bankrupt because they are "evil corporations" like all the rest. But it appears there is an even more sinister reasoning. The entire farm labour industry is largely non-unionised. If the unions got what they wanted, it would not become unionised, it would disappear because it would be unprofitable. But this is apparently a better outcome from the union perspective.

Whitenight has also been posting propaganda targeting similar workforces in rural areas, such as backpackers working in outback pubs.

Keep in mind that most of these backpackers spend more money locally than they earn. They get a job to extend their holidays. And many return a decade or two later for another holiday, with a lot more cash in their pockets. So if the unions destroyed their ability to find work, it would also be a blow to our tourism industry.

Most of all, the unions would kill a lot of good times for young people who may not be union members and who may not even be citizens, but who still contribute greatly to our country. Everybody wins and has a good time, but unless the unions get their cut they prefer to destroy it all and replace it with an army of miserable minimum wage union drones.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Unions want to kill non-Union industries
Reply #1 - Aug 13th, 2020 at 10:31am

the average aussie wouldnt have a bar of it fd....the union is just trying to make their own patch look important....can you see aussies lining up to pick fruit????  I know I cant.. Undecided

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #2 - Aug 13th, 2020 at 10:39am

I spent a summer picking watermelons once. It was hard work, and I'm pretty sure I got paid below minimum wage.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Aug 13th, 2020 at 10:44am

freediver wrote on Aug 13th, 2020 at 10:39am:
I spent a summer picking watermelons once. It was hard work, and I'm pretty sure I got paid below minimum wage.

my son picked fruit by the bucket many years ago  40cents a bucket....

IP Logged

Baronvonrort
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Aug 13th, 2020 at 2:18pm

cods wrote on Aug 13th, 2020 at 10:31am:
the average aussie wouldnt have a bar of it fd....the union is just trying to make their own patch look important....can you see aussies lining up to pick fruit????  I know I cant.. Undecided

We use backpackers and Pacific Islanders to pick fruit because Aussies prefer to stay on the dole.

Without these people picking fruit it would be left to rot on the ground.

Leftists and the Ayatollahs have a lot in common when it comes to criticism of Islam, they don't tolerate it.

IP Logged

Bam
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Aug 13th, 2020 at 2:58pm

Baronvonrort wrote on Aug 13th, 2020 at 2:18pm:

We use backpackers and Pacific Islanders to pick fruit because Aussies prefer to stay on the dole.

Australians are not taking up these jobs because they're not offered them, the red and blue tape between workers and these jobs is considerable, and the industry is rife with labour hire middlemen taking their fat cut of workers' wages and farm profits.

Australians used to do that work, often by young people on their gap year. They don't any longer, and this decline started when Howard scrapped the CES.

It used to happen that the CES could connect young workers directly to farmers looking for labourers. A farmer could list the work on Tuesday and have the workers they need by Thursday. Now, a young person has to negotiate the Kafkaesque Jobactive bureaucracy and then run the gauntlet of labour hire leeches. This system is profoundly dysfunctional. It needs to be scrapped and the CES reinstated.

You are not entitled to your opinion. You are only entitled to hold opinions that you can defend through sound, reasoned argument.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #6 - Aug 13th, 2020 at 3:11pm

cods wrote on Aug 13th, 2020 at 10:44am:

my son picked fruit by the bucket many years ago  40cents a bucket....

I picked apples and pears for a holiday job, partly to fund of a gap OS holiday.

The farmers would put you on wages for first pick when the trees were loaded then put you on $/bin when there was less fruit on the tree, usually ended up making the same.

Can honestly say that was one of the best times of my life...working hard, partying with backpackers from all over the world at night and I'm still in contact with some of the people I met.

Actually, I have better memories of the picking than the OS holiday  Grin Grin Grin

IBI

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #7 - Aug 13th, 2020 at 3:14pm

Orange picker Maggie Wilton said she worried Australian workers were "a bit soft for this kind of thing"

Employers say often Aussies don't show up

Citrus Australia CEO Nathan Hancock said tens of thousands of seasonal jobs taken up by working holiday-makers were at stake if the unions got their way.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/rural/2020-08-12/aussies-a-bit-soft-for-farm-labour-...

IBI

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #8 - Aug 13th, 2020 at 11:36pm

Never thought fruit picking was an industry.... but hell...

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Aug 14th, 2020 at 8:58am

freediver wrote on Aug 13th, 2020 at 10:23am:
Whitenight has been posting a lot of union propaganda about backpackers picking fruit lately. I'm not sure if this is a new union focus or the result of random copying and pasting. A lot of our fruit farmers would go broke if they had to compete against the mines and gas companies to mobilise a large workforce each picking season, while also competing against foreign farms that either have dirt cheap labour or massive government subsidies.

At first I thought they just wanted to send farmers bankrupt because they are "evil corporations" like all the rest. But it appears there is an even more sinister reasoning. The entire farm labour industry is largely non-unionised. If the unions got what they wanted, it would not become unionised, it would disappear because it would be unprofitable. But this is apparently a better outcome from the union perspective.

Whitenight has also been posting propaganda targeting similar workforces in rural areas, such as backpackers working in outback pubs.

Keep in mind that most of these backpackers spend more money locally than they earn. They get a job to extend their holidays. And many return a decade or two later for another holiday, with a lot more cash in their pockets. So if the unions destroyed their ability to find work, it would also be a blow to our tourism industry.

Most of all, the unions would kill a lot of good times for young people who may not be union members and who may not even be citizens, but who still contribute greatly to our country. Everybody wins and has a good time, but unless the unions get their cut they prefer to destroy it all and replace it with an army of miserable minimum wage union drones.

Firstly the title of your thread is bullshyte.

Secondly .... in many of the frequent cases of backpackers & even 457 visa workers being criminally exploited by farmers/businesses & Labor Hire companies with wage theft & appalling living conditions .....

Unions have gone into bat/represent those workers/backpayers pro bono

why if their situations were remedied by Unions would expecting them to contribute later on at a pro-rata level depending on their length of stay & how much they worked be a problem?

It seems to me you're all for the exploitation of all workers.  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - Aug 14th, 2020 at 9:00am

They have for decades .... the lifestyle suits some

not all.  Roll Eyes

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - Aug 14th, 2020 at 9:01am

That's your fault ...

or were you a shyte worker?

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - Aug 14th, 2020 at 9:07am

Baronvonrort wrote on Aug 13th, 2020 at 2:18pm:

There are just as many Pacific Islanders/Kiwis on the aussie dole proportionally for population.

There's nothing wrong with using PI's & backpackers to do this work ......

but the main reason Aussies wont do it .... is because traditionally the farmers pay shyte wages .. below minimum wage & they still do

even FD has admitted that he was paid like that when he picked watermelons.

And making people live in squalor on farm doesn't help.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #13 - Aug 14th, 2020 at 9:20am

Quote:
Firstly the title of your thread is bullshyte.

What makes you think that Gnads?

Quote:
Secondly .... in many of the frequent cases of backpackers & even 457 visa workers being criminally exploited by farmers/businesses & Labor Hire companies with wage theft & appalling living conditions .....

So the union wants to take their jobs away from them for their own benefit? How nice.

Quote:
Unions have gone into bat/represent those workers/backpayers pro bono

And yet they still refuse to give their hard earned money over to the unions. How ungrateful. No wonder the unions want to burn it to the ground.

Quote:
why if their situations were remedied by Unions would expecting them to contribute later on at a pro-rata level depending on their length of stay & how much they worked be a problem?

In my experience unions are great at overstating their status as a saviour of the common man. For the most part they just create unemployment.

Quote:
That's your fault ... or were you a shyte worker?

I was young and did not know and did not care about minimum wages. He offered me ongoing work at a certain rate and I accepted. I could have walked away at any time.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #14 - Aug 14th, 2020 at 9:33am

Gnads wrote on Aug 14th, 2020 at 9:00am:

They have for decades .... the lifestyle suits some

not all.  Roll Eyes

they dont queue for the wages thats for sure....I have never heard of aussies  being relied upon to do this hard work.....seriously I havent!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 23
Send Topic Print