Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Dim Sum eating surrender monkeys (Read 298 times)
Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Dim Sum eating surrender monkeys
Aug 3rd, 2020 at 1:40pm

'Craven cowardice': UNSW condemned for deleting posts critical of Beijing

Federal MPs have condemned the University of NSW for deleting social media posts about human rights in Hong Kong following an online backlash from Chinese nationalists.

The university faced a barrage of pro-China criticism over the weekend after publishing an article that expressed concern about Beijing's crackdown in Hong Kong. A post on Twitter sharing the link was subsequently removed by the university.

Liberal senator James Paterson criticised the university's actions, accusing the institution of valuing its revenue from Chinese students over academic freedom.

"This craven behaviour by UNSW is yet more evidence of the compromised relationship many of our universities have with communist China," he said.

Academic freedom and free speech on campus are core values of any self-respecting higher education institution and they should never be sacrificed for lucrative international student income."

The article, based on comments from Human Rights Watch Australia director and UNSW adjunct lecturer Elaine Pearson, was also temporarily unavailable on Saturday morning at its original location on the university website's general news section. It then became accessible in the business and law section and was labelled as opinion.

The original tweet posting the article had quoted Ms Pearson saying "now is a pivotal moment to bring attention to the rapidly deteriorating situation in Hong Kong".

The university was then hit with critical social media posts and emails from Chinese nationals that said Ms Pearson's article was ignorant, biased, discriminatory, had "severely offended" Chinese students, and amounted to interference in China's internal affairs.

Responding to the initial blowback, the university added a second tweet saying the "opinions expressed by our academics do not always represent the views of UNSW". The tweet said the university had a "long and valued relationship with Greater China" and provided a welcome and inclusive environment.

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal/craven-cowardice-unsw-condemned-for-dele...

IBI

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Re: Dim Sum eating surrender monkeys
Reply #1 - Aug 3rd, 2020 at 5:06pm

Most of the Uni Admin jobs are Chinese staffed.

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #2 - Aug 3rd, 2020 at 8:47pm

My Chinese doctor lady wants to leave China... wonder why..... might see her once lockdown is over....

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Aug 3rd, 2020 at 8:48pm

Jasin wrote on Aug 3rd, 2020 at 5:06pm:
Most of the Uni Admin jobs are Chinese staffed.

The Great Asian Sellout...... do they work for a bowl of rice a day?

"tweet said the university had a "long and valued relationship with Greater China"

.... well........ they do have Comrade Keating as some kind of visiting professor, kind of a Pascoe of Asiastralia being part of Ausia  or something... and with his infinite knowledge and understanding of issues - well.. what can I say?

(try bleeeehhh)

« Last Edit: Aug 4th, 2020 at 7:01am by Grappler Truth Teller Feller »  

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Belgarion
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Aug 10th, 2020 at 6:51pm

'Greater China'...What is that exactly? Does UNSW recognise Chinese claims to Taiwan, the South China Sea or anywhere else that takes their fancy?

"I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

Voltaire.....(possibly)

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #5 - Aug 10th, 2020 at 7:00pm

It's obvious the pro-CCP Chinese have taken over the UNSW as well as Sydney. There is a small island Chinese Nationalists still dobbing in the CCP mob though.
Nothing gets done against it. That's why they have got so far in taking over. Got a foothold now. Never gonna get em out now.

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Aug 10th, 2020 at 7:38pm

Belgarion wrote on Aug 10th, 2020 at 6:51pm:
'Greater China'...What is that exactly? Does UNSW recognise Chinese claims to Taiwan, the South China Sea or anywhere else that takes their fancy?

Nah - it's bigger than that - takes in Austrochine, formerly Australia and New Zulland.  the cunning little bastards will then have Indonesia outflanked and Fiji etc nervous... after that the Philippines and options on New Guinea...

Might watch Danger Close tonight if the Teev is boring... free online.... jeez - dreamed last night I had sights on a bunch of slopers and the damned Yank crap jammed time after time, and wouldn't clear - leaving me running down the street with a sloper Colonel in hot pursuit with his pistol... luckily the Yank crap was a good club and I smashed him big time with it, breaking it in the process... cheap Yank crap plastic .......dreams... dreams.... therapeutic, they say ......  Undecided

― John Adams

IP Logged

Bit Grose

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Aug 10th, 2020 at 8:01pm

Chikin' Feet Dim Sum anyone?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print