Send Topic Print
Closing the Gap 793.2 (Read 2936 times)
Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Closing the Gap 793.2
Jul 31st, 2020 at 9:21am

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-07-30/closing-gap-targets-agreement-aboriginal-...

"All Australian governments have committed to 16 targets to tackle Indigenous disadvantage, after the previous Closing the Gap scheme largely failed in its aims, year after year.
Key points:

The Prime Minister says the new agreement reverses the "wrong-headed" approach of the past
    It includes targets for out-of-home care, land and sea rights, language and housing for the first time
    Some advocates feel it is a missed opportunity to drastically reduce Indigenous imprisonment rates

The agreement completely resets targets set in 2008, and promises far greater Indigenous involvement in leading its implementation and measuring its progress — a significant change from the previous strategy.

Prime Minister Scott Morrison said there had been a failure to partner with Indigenous people to develop and deliver the 2008 targets.

"We told Indigenous Australians what the gap was that we were going to close — and somehow thought they should be thankful for that," Mr Morrison said.

"That was wrong-headed. That wasn't the way to do it."

"This is the task of us all. And for that to be successful, we need a partnership between all of these groups."

The new agreement, which has bipartisan support, also includes new accountability mechanisms to keep governments on track, and a commitment to address structural racism in mainstream government organisations.

The targets have been signed up to by the Commonwealth, state/territory and local governments. A network of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander organisations, the Coalition of Peaks, helped to develop the plan and has also signed on."

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Re: Closing the Gap 793.2
Reply #1 - Jul 31st, 2020 at 9:23am

"The new targets:

1.Close the Gap in life expectancy within a generation, by 2031
    2.By 2031, increase the proportion of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander babies with a healthy birthweight to 91 per cent
    3.By 2025, increase the proportion of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander children enrolled in Year Before Fulltime Schooling (YBFS) early childhood education to 95 per cent
    4.By 2031, increase the proportion of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander children assessed as developmentally on track in all five domains of the Australian Early Development Census (AEDC) to 55 per cent
    5.By 2031, increase the proportion of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people (age 20-24) attaining year 12 or equivalent qualification to 96 per cent
    6.By 2031, increase the proportion of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people aged 25-34 years who have completed a tertiary qualification (Certificate III and above) to 70 per cent
    7.By 2031, increase the proportion of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander youth (15–24 years) who are in employment, education or training to 67 per cent
    8.By 2031, increase the proportion of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people aged 25–64 who are employed to 62 per cent
    9.By 2031, increase the proportion of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people living in appropriately sized (not overcrowded) housing to 88 per cent
10.By 2031, reduce the rate of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander adults held in incarceration by at least 15 per cent
11.By 2031, reduce the rate of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander young people (10-17 years) in detention by at least 15 per cent
12.By 2031, reduce the rate of over-representation of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander children in out-of-home care by 45 per cent
13.A significant and sustained reduction in violence and abuse against Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander women and children towards zero
14.Significant and sustained reduction in suicide of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people towards zero
15.a) By 2030, a 15 per cent increase in Australia's landmass subject to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people's legal rights or interests
b) By 2030, a 15 per cent increase in areas covered by Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people's legal rights or interests in the sea
16.By 2031, there is a sustained increase in number and strength of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander languages being spoken

Any comments?  I'll make one - none of this will take place or anywhere near it until and unless the Aboriginal communities themselves actively work on it.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #2 - Jul 31st, 2020 at 9:48am

Abiriginals need to be taught they have to pull themselves up by their bootstraps and the Gov has to ensure any that give it a bash have plenty of bootstrap to grab onto.

IBI

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #3 - Jul 31st, 2020 at 11:13am

The only way to close the gap for indigenous and non-indigenous people is to cut the excess welfare funding for indigenous people and put them to the same conditions that non-indigenous people have to accept. Even unemployable indigenous people should be able to do some kind of mutual obligation for their welfare. Heck, if they can spend the money, they can at least earn the money they get for free. That should free up $30 billion each year for Australia.

And I don't care if the percentage of aboriginal people in gaol goes from 20% to 30% of the prison population. The fact remains that if aboriginal people see the police start treating them like they do with non-indigenous people and not let aboriginal criminals getting a slap on the wrist, then perhaps some accountability will start taking hold in the indigenous community.

The use of the race card for impunity among the aboriginal people is going to have to cease this instant, if there is any chance for indigenous people to catch up. Otherwise, the indigenous are going to continue to lag behind at the expense of the rest of the community.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Jul 31st, 2020 at 11:41am

if they dont meet the govt halfway  then forget it..

whos fault is it if the children dont go to school?????....

whos fault is it  that most men end up in jail thanks to domestic violence?

whitey cant fix those..

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #5 - Jul 31st, 2020 at 11:52am

Lefties want to keep them as noble savages, connected to 'country' doing dot paintings while the happy kids do backflips into the billabong, but this means financial dependence on welfare forever.

I reckon the Govt should offer any bright Abo kid a full boarding scholarship at a city school. It's expensive but probably cheaper than paying for a life on welfare.

Also young Abos should be encouraged to join the ADF were they can get some discipline, self respect and learn a trade.

The left won't like that though, they want them painting dots, doing welcome to country ceremonies and on the dole.

IBI

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #6 - Jul 31st, 2020 at 12:41pm

It is an interesting list, I agree.  I also agree that Indigenous Australians have to meet them at least half way.  That means an intensive education for them about how to care for and raise children.  It means an intensive education for them about the consequences of their actions.

Yes, "Mutual Obligation" would be a suitable method but it would need for the Government to recognise that unless they invest in industries in remote locations there will still be no work for Indigenous Australians.  "Mutual Obligation" only works if there is obligation from the Government as well.

However it must be coupled with an intensive education system for white Australians on how to treat Indigenous Australians.  Will Whites meet that at least half way?  The many Whites which post here appear unable to treat Indigenous Australians with any respect.  They are out and out Racists in their attitudes towards Indigenous Australians.  Tsk, tsk.   Roll Eyes

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #7 - Jul 31st, 2020 at 12:53pm

Brian, investing in industry in remote locations is another name for welfare and not sustainable.

Educate the young and give them the tools to succeed in established markets.

That is the only way forward.

IBI

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #8 - Jul 31st, 2020 at 2:32pm

And what happens to the Indigenous Australians who wish to "stay on country", Gordon.

All I see is another effort to depopulate country to enable miners to mine it without worrying about Native Title owners objecting.  Tsk, tsk.   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

You in particular need that education program to learn to treat Indigenous people with a minimum of respect.  Tsk, tsk.   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

aquascoot
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Jul 31st, 2020 at 2:49pm

Indigenous infants and indigenous frail elderly need to be treated with compassion.

Indigenous adults need to be treated with challenge.

Doing ANYTHING for an able bodied adult who is capable of doing it for himself can only weaken him.

My mummy does this that and the other for me because she loves me so much.

No she doesn't.

Because everything your mummy does for you , is one less thing you can do for yourself.

She is " stealing " your independance.
She is " stealing " your future.

It is the Oedipal nightmare.
The all smothering mother who infantilises her child so he will always be dependant on her.

It is the aboriginal nightmare.
The all smothering government who infantilises him so he will always be dependant on the government

It is a reprehensible act and it is designed to keep control of the person.
Truly a sick low dog act

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #10 - Jul 31st, 2020 at 2:53pm

Brian Ross wrote on Jul 31st, 2020 at 2:32pm:
And what happens to the Indigenous Australians who wish to "stay on country", Gordon.

All I see is another effort to depopulate country to enable miners to mine it without worrying about Native Title owners objecting.  Tsk, tsk.   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

You in particular need that education program to learn to treat Indigenous people with a minimum of respect.  Tsk, tsk.   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Retard. There are no real jobs in the quantity required in remote areas and never will be.
You just want them to remain noble savages rather than get education and real skills and real employment.

Disgusting lefty mind at work.

IBI

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #11 - Jul 31st, 2020 at 2:57pm

aquascoot wrote on Jul 31st, 2020 at 2:49pm:
Indigenous infants and indigenous frail elderly need to be treated with compassion.

Indigenous adults need to be treated with challenge.

Doing ANYTHING for an able bodied adult who is capable of doing it for himself can only weaken him.

My mummy does this that and the other for me because she loves me so much.

No she doesn't.

Because everything your mummy does for you , is one less thing you can do for yourself.

She is " stealing " your independance.
She is " stealing " your future.

It is the Oedipal nightmare.
The all smothering mother who infantilises her child so he will always be dependant on her.

It is the aboriginal nightmare.
The all smothering government who infantilises him so he will always be dependant on the government

It is a reprehensible act and it is designed to keep control of the person.
Truly a sick low dog act

Exactly.  Any Aboriginal kid who shows academic potential should get a scholarship to a great school.

Any others who are bright but didn't do well at school should be offered a 5 year army stint where they will learn a good money earning trade. I don't mind handing out money that is well investment but paying Abos to sit around painting dots and mulling over their victimhood is an around waste.

IBI

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #12 - Jul 31st, 2020 at 3:17pm

I seriously cannot see why aboriginal Australians should not at least return the favour of generous welfare by at least doing some kind of "work for the dole". All that is happening is a repeat of generations of aboriginals who sit around and collect welfare, as the rest of us hope that the lure of employment to towns and cities and earning some kind of self-respect pervades the communities.

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #13 - Jul 31st, 2020 at 3:39pm

Gordon wrote on Jul 31st, 2020 at 2:53pm:

Retard. There are no real jobs in the quantity required in remote areas and never will be.
You just want them to remain noble savages rather than get education and real skills and real employment.

Disgusting lefty mind at work.

Really?  Is that why I suggest that education was necessary for Indigenous Australians in my first post in this thread, Gordon?

In reality, you just don't respect Indigenous Australians - at all.  Doesn't matter what decisions they make or why they make them, you'll downplay them and disregard them because they are, all all, made by Indigenous Australians.   It is you who needs re-education.  Tsk, tsk.  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #14 - Jul 31st, 2020 at 3:41pm

UnSubRocky wrote on Jul 31st, 2020 at 3:17pm:

I seriously cannot see why aboriginal Australians should not at least return the favour of generous welfare by at least doing some kind of "work for the dole". All that is happening is a repeat of generations of aboriginals who sit around and collect welfare, as the rest of us hope that the lure of employment to towns and cities and earning some kind of self-respect pervades the communities.

All depends upon what you mean by "work for the dole".  If it is local and it is designed to promote the local community, all is fair.  If it is not local and it is designed to punish them for their circumstance it is not fair.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 7
Send Topic Print