Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Aldi Doesnt Play Music In Stores (Read 1669 times)
whiteknight
Gold Member

Australian Politics

melbourne
Aldi Doesnt Play Music In Stores
Jul 25th, 2020 at 1:35pm

ALDI reveals the real reason it doesn't play music in stores after Facebook debate 
9Honey July 25 2020
A group of ALDI shoppers have taken to Facebook to ponder a question we didn't even realise we should be asking; why doesn't ALDI play music in store?

It's easy to not pick up on the silence in ALDI supermarkets, especially when you're hearing chatter from other shoppers, but one woman brought the phenomenon to everyone's attention recently.

ALDI has revealed the truth behind a surprising store policy.
Taking to the Aldi Mums Facebook group, one shopper wondered: "Why don't they play music in Aldi? I never realised till now."

It seems she wasn't the only one who had never noticed it before, with other ALDI regulars jumping into the comments section to say they felt the same.

"I can't believe I never realised this until now," one person wrote, another adding; "They say you don't notice silence until someone else points it out. So weird!"

Some shoppers revealed that the silence in ALDI stores is actually one of the reasons they choose to shop there, especially if they or their children have sensory issues that can be triggered by music or loud noise.

One woman sparked debate about the quiet stores online. (Facebook)
"It's also good for families with children who can't handle noise," one woman wrote, a second saying the quiet is great for her son with autism.

QLD mum of five lost 18 kilos in five months with Aldi shakes
Though, others weren't so fond of the silence, one person writing: "I would love some gorgeous music, it's so quiet in Aldis sort of deathly quiet."

Soon, people began sharing their own theories for why ALDI doesn't play music, with ideas ranging from the mundane to the outrageous.

One wrote: "Perhaps it's because APRA charge a hefty yearly fee for playing music in businesses and the likes... but I'm only guessing."

Shoppers hadn't realised the stores don't play music. (Getty)
Several people agreed, saying the supermarket chain probably saves money by choosing not to play music, but some commenters had other ideas.

A few claimed the stores didn't want to pay for music systems, others said the silence could "hype customers up", while one suggested it was to "encourage shopper conversations".

9Honey went to the source to find out what the real reason is for the silence in ALDI stores.

RELATED: Aldi shoppers blame coronavirus for sudden 'change' to this product

"We have always said we are different to other retailers - we think, Good Different," an ALDI Australia spokesperson said in a statement to 9Honey.

ALDI revealed why they keep the noise down in store.
"We pride ourselves on saving our customers' time and money, and we are able to achieve this by removing unnecessary features and costs from our stores such as music. This has allowed us to create a simple, affordable and more efficient shopping experience for our customers."

There are also no plans to bring music into stores. 

IP Logged

whiteknight
Gold Member

Australian Politics

melbourne
Re: Aldi Doesnt Play Music In Stores
Reply #1 - Jul 25th, 2020 at 1:38pm

Please open more Aldi supermarkets.   Smiley   

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Jul 25th, 2020 at 1:41pm

Do Coles and Woolworths play music?

I've never noticed it.

IP Logged

whiteknight
Gold Member

Australian Politics

melbourne
Reply #3 - Jul 25th, 2020 at 1:55pm

Yes I think they do, but is music in supermarkets that important?.  I think for most people price would be a very important thing.   Huh

IP Logged

chimera
Gold Member

Australian Politics

armidale
Reply #4 - Jul 25th, 2020 at 2:07pm

Music is cheaper than perfume and some react with allergy. Free bananas work OK, and the false pine boxes for veg and smart logos "fresh food" and cook books.
$
$
-
$
=

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #5 - Jul 25th, 2020 at 3:54pm

Why do other shops play music?

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #6 - Jul 25th, 2020 at 3:58pm

freediver wrote on Jul 25th, 2020 at 3:54pm:

I read somewhere that music makes people buy more groceries.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Jul 25th, 2020 at 3:59pm

dont care

dont shop there.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #8 - Jul 25th, 2020 at 5:05pm

greggerypeccary wrote on Jul 25th, 2020 at 1:41pm:
Do Coles and Woolworths play music?

I've never noticed it.

You have not noticed Woolworths playing music? On Monday nights, I go grocery shopping. The store plays classical music. Much of this is to relax the customers and ward off the riff-raff that would not be caught dead being immersed in high culture. I don't mind the 1970s, 1980s and 1990s music that they usually play when the store is operating not later in the evening, too.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #9 - Jul 25th, 2020 at 5:07pm

Back in my pizza delivery driver days, the store would play music over the computer speakers. People would call up ordering pizza (like they do). They have commented that the place sounds like a nightclub at times.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #10 - Jul 25th, 2020 at 5:13pm

Coles and Woolies have their own state specific music streaming service where music is piped in from head office.

If it was decided in-store, the grannies would freak out when the purple haired goth chick is on duty.

https://www.coles.com.au/customer-care/coles-radio

IBI

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - Jul 25th, 2020 at 5:15pm

I think it has something to do with slowing you down. Generally, the more time you spend in store the more you spend. If you like a song you're more likely to browse until the song is finished.

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #12 - Jul 25th, 2020 at 5:18pm

To make you spend more money.

IBI

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - Jul 25th, 2020 at 5:25pm

I found this online

Quote:
Why Do Grocery Stores Play Music?
June 17, 2020
By
Bianca Sanchez
Admit it, you have a favorite shopping song

Whether you love it or loathe it, supermarket music has an impact on your shopping experience. Turns out, there is a long history and well-documented science as to why stores play music, what they play and at what volume.

In 1966, researchers first examined the effect of ambient music volume on grocery store shoppers. The team found that playing loud, raucous music got shoppers out of the store quicker. Softer, calmer music allowed them to spend more time shopping.

Almost two decades later in 1982, another research team came to a similar conclusion. Like loud music, uptempo music tended to move people quicker, resulting in less time spent in the store and fewer purchases altogether. Meanwhile, slower, downtempo music moved shoppers at a more gradual, easy-going speed. Sales were up 38% on slow-tempo music days compared to fast ones.

Within the past decade, shops also learned music should be sort of sad too. A 2011 study found that downtempo and minor songs resulted in 12% greater sales.

https://www.thedailymeal.com/eat/why-do-grocery-stores-play-music

12% greater sales?  Shocked I'm surprised it makes that much difference. In a supermarket that turns over $100 000+ a day, that's a big chunk of change.

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

chimera
Gold Member

Australian Politics

armidale
Reply #14 - Jul 26th, 2020 at 6:00pm

Chickens who listen to classical music lay bigger eggs, scientists find.  “Music to Grow Mushrooms to” is an experiment in the creation of music for mushrooms which grow on average, 30% faster than mushrooms growing in silence.  Cows produce more milk when they listen to classical music, according to a farmer in Turkey.  A British study found that turkeys showed a preference for different kinds of music and sounds. In Turkey , a pepper sprout that 'listened' to Quran recitations grew healthy and ripe.  Pepper seeds subjected to melodramatic Turkish Arabesque songs died.  Akkılıç said Quran recitations could be used as a new nutrient for plants and vegetables.   Woolworths does not play the Quran and music may help ovulating females.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print