Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Rugby League (Read 1151 times)
Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Rugby League
Jul 19th, 2020 at 2:58am

The Warriors to be coached by The Walker Brothers?

So I heard

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Rugby League
Reply #1 - Jul 24th, 2020 at 10:57pm

what do you think of the Sonny Bill Williams carry on sprint?

I find it pretty disgraceful really....

Quote:
But NRL boss Peter V’landys has said he would do anything to help get Williams back into Australia

so he can play with the roosters.....

we all know Williams doesnt do anything unless the talk is in millions.....

it looks to me like V'landy could be  paying all his expenses to return...

Quote:
Williams and his family would be subjected to two weeks’ quarantine in Australia if they went straight there, or longer if he went via New Zealand.

People returning to Australia must pay $3000 per person and stay in government ordered quarantine hotels.

Flights back to Australia from London cost up to $14,000 per person and take up to 60 hours because of reduced services due to COVID-19.

only for the roosters of course... Angry Angry

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #2 - Jul 24th, 2020 at 11:05pm

??????

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #3 - Jul 27th, 2020 at 8:54pm

Looks like the cowboys are no good this year, either. Finish strongly and try again next year, lads.

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #4 - Jul 27th, 2020 at 9:24pm

Sprintcyclist wrote on Jul 19th, 2020 at 2:58am:
The Warriors to be coached by The Walker Brothers?

So I heard

Quote:
Ben and Shane Walker are known for their attacking innovations but their man management and defensive strategies are also why they're in the frame to fill the Warriors' coaching vacancy, according to CEO Cameron George.

"The Walker brothers bring a lot to the table as coaches and we are leaving no stone unturned," George told NRL.com on Thursday night.

"They bring a number of attributes to the game that are refreshing, innovative and certainly could enhance our individual players' talent."

After sacking Stephen Kearney as head coach the Warriors appointed his assistant Todd Payten as the interim coach for the rest of 2020.

An extensive and thorough search is now under way to lead the club into the next era and George confirmed he interviewed the Walkers this week.

The Walker brothers coached the Ipswich Jets to Intrust Super Cup and NRL State Championship titles in 2015 and guided the club to six finals appearances in nine years. The three seasons the Jets missed the semi-finals it was by just one win.

The Walkers embraced a style of attacking football based on support play once championed by legendary Toowoomba coach Duncan Thompson, known as "contract football".

That expansive approach, which has been a feature of the Warriors at their best, appeals to George but he said there was a lot more to the Walkers coaching credentials than that.

The Walkers have experience in running a club from top to bottom for a decade on the smell of an oily rag and that experience also is valued by George.

The Walker brothers explain their coaching methods
"Everyone loves to see an exciting brand of footy and footballers play to their potential and from what I have seen the Walkers really focus on that," George said.

"The brothers focus on having those key relationships in place and they have done it very hands-on in Ipswich in their role and they have had some success.

"It is not a huge departure from what any rugby league club is looking for.

"They are not all about attack. The way they play puts points on the board but from talking to them I know defence is a very important part, which was really good to hear."

George said he was impressed with how the man management of the Walkers had been spoken of by the players they have coached.

"That also comes through when they talk to you about their way of doing things," George said.

"They are very focused on player development and individuals meeting their greatest potential which is what we are all trying to do on and off the field in footy.

"That was a really key part of their message to us which is great.

"In due course we will weigh all that up when we look at the feedback and the interviews that we have undertaken."

George was a handy halfback himself in his day and played for West Tamworth in the 1999 Group 4 grand final when Rothman's Medal winner Ewan McGrady was his opposite number for the Moree Boars.

It is the style of football epitomised by McGrady, and championed by the Walkers in the players they coach, that also has impressed George who said the Warriors were not rushing the search for their next coach.

"Clearly they have a different mindset to what tradition has thrown up but they have had success," he said.

"We as a club are looking to be successful in the future and leaving no stone unturned. We will see what best suits our club moving forward and different methodologies and philosophies so it was a really refreshing chat to have.

"We obviously made the decision with Stephen that enabled us a bit of time to go through it.

"We as a club are making sure we explore everything to get the best solution. We don't want to just be winners tomorrow. We want to continue to win for many, many years so we are in no hurry."

While co-coaches are not in vogue in the NRL, George said that was not an issue.

"I got the impression that it is not one or the other. They are a team," he said.

"That is fantastic on their part that they demonstrate that and you see the synergy between them and the connection they have got because that is critical when you have got a dual unit as opposed to an individual."

https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/07/16/warriors-ceo-why-walker-brothers-are-in-coac...

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #5 - Sep 26th, 2020 at 4:04pm

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-09-25/broncos-training-oval-littered-wooden-spo...

Quote:
The Brisbane Broncos training ground as been littered with wooden spoons following the club's 16-point loss to the North Queensland Cowboys on Thursday night.

Club staff have been forced to clean up the mess after the Broncos officially locked in their worst season on record to finish in last place for the first time ever.

I was driving around when I heard this. Had my imagination been any wilder, I would probably have crashed from laughing too hard.

Obviously, the fans have heckled the Broncos all season. But they had to wait until this last game to figure out if there was a chance of avoiding the wooden spoon.

IP Logged

Prime Minister for Canyons
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #6 - Oct 2nd, 2020 at 10:39am

In a time of universal deceit — telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

No evidence whatsoever it can be attributed to George Orwell or Eric Arthur Blair (in fact the same guy)

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #7 - Oct 3rd, 2020 at 12:57am

N.ational
R.edneck
L.eague

...while their fans march the Mardi Gras in Sydney

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print