Send Topic Print
A promising vaccine (Read 870 times)
Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
A promising vaccine
Jul 15th, 2020 at 8:57am

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/07/14/health/moderna-coronavirus-vaccine-phase-1-st...

Moderna coronavirus vaccine shows 'promising' safety and immune response results in published Phase 1 study, but more research is needed.

John Bonifield-Profile-Image

By Jacqueline Howard and John Bonifield, CNN

Updated 2124 GMT (0524 HKT) July 14, 2020

(CNN)A Covid-19 vaccine developed by the biotechnology company Moderna in partnership with the National Institutes of Health has been found to induce immune responses in all of the volunteers who received it in a Phase 1 study.
These early results, published in the New England Journal of Medicine on Tuesday, showed that the vaccine worked to trigger an immune response with mild side effects -- fatigue, chills, headache, muscle pain, pain at the injection site -- becoming the first US vaccine candidate to publish results in a peer-reviewed medical journal
The vaccine is expected to begin later this month a large Phase 3 trial -- the final trial stage before regulators consider whether to make the vaccine available.

Early results from Moderna coronavirus vaccine trial show participants developed antibodies against the virus.

Moderna noted in a press release on Tuesday that, if all goes well in future studies, "the Company remains on track to be able to deliver approximately 500 million doses per year, and possibly up to 1 billion doses per year, beginning in 2021."

IP Logged

Prime Minister for Canyons
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Re: A promising vaccine
Reply #1 - Jul 15th, 2020 at 9:36am

Bobby. wrote on Jul 15th, 2020 at 8:57am:
https://edition.cnn.com/2020/07/14/health/moderna-coronavirus-vaccine-phase-1-st...

Moderna coronavirus vaccine shows 'promising' safety and immune response results in published Phase 1 study, but more research is needed.

John Bonifield-Profile-Image

By Jacqueline Howard and John Bonifield, CNN

Updated 2124 GMT (0524 HKT) July 14, 2020

(CNN)A Covid-19 vaccine developed by the biotechnology company Moderna in partnership with the National Institutes of Health has been found to induce immune responses in all of the volunteers who received it in a Phase 1 study.
These early results, published in the New England Journal of Medicine on Tuesday, showed that the vaccine worked to trigger an immune response with mild side effects -- fatigue, chills, headache, muscle pain, pain at the injection site -- becoming the first US vaccine candidate to publish results in a peer-reviewed medical journal
The vaccine is expected to begin later this month a large Phase 3 trial -- the final trial stage before regulators consider whether to make the vaccine available.

Early results from Moderna coronavirus vaccine trial show participants developed antibodies against the virus.

Moderna noted in a press release on Tuesday that, if all goes well in future studies, "the Company remains on track to be able to deliver approximately 500 million doses per year, and possibly up to 1 billion doses per year, beginning in 2021."

Put together with other possible candidates, its good news, but we're still a way away

In a time of universal deceit — telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

No evidence whatsoever it can be attributed to George Orwell or Eric Arthur Blair (in fact the same guy)

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #2 - Jul 15th, 2020 at 2:08pm

Prime Minister for Canyons wrote on Jul 15th, 2020 at 9:36am:
Put together with other possible candidates, its good news, but we're still a way away

It's the best news I've heard for many days.

IP Logged

The_Barnacle
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #3 - Jul 15th, 2020 at 2:48pm

Bobby. wrote on Jul 15th, 2020 at 2:08pm:

The media has been announcing promising vaccines regularly since April.
It is a long drawn out process
But given that most of the world is working on a vaccine I'm confident that we will have a good one eventually. It just may not be widely available for a year or so.

The Right Wing only believe in free speech when they agree with what is being said.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #4 - Jul 15th, 2020 at 3:01pm

The_Barnacle wrote on Jul 15th, 2020 at 2:48pm:

But given that most of the world is working on a vaccine I'm confident that we will have a good one eventually. It just may not be widely available for a year or so.

But we need one now.

IP Logged

Prime Minister for Canyons
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #5 - Jul 15th, 2020 at 3:03pm

Bobby. wrote on Jul 15th, 2020 at 3:01pm:

But we need one now.

Thanks. Science doesn't work like that

In a time of universal deceit — telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

No evidence whatsoever it can be attributed to George Orwell or Eric Arthur Blair (in fact the same guy)

IP Logged

Sophia
Gold Member

Reply #6 - Jul 15th, 2020 at 3:12pm

But we need one now.

All candidates in the running for something promising yet all saying it could be some time before it’s availability etc

Don’t hold your breath!

From what I gather, some of these promising vaccines/medications  are able to minimise symptoms only.
Which is good, if it helps with the lung capacity to breath better if effected greatly from the corona virus.

IP Logged

SadKangaroo
Gold Member

#FightStupid

Mianjin (Brisbane)
Reply #7 - Jul 15th, 2020 at 3:35pm

A vaccine would be great.

But we need to prepare ourselves for a world where an effective vaccine isn't found or worse, it is, but too late and the virus has already mutated and they have to start the process all over again, something that is a real risk with letting it spread out of control through millions of people like in the US.

A better solution may be a more informed populous, better treatment options and continued mitigation and contact tracing efforts.

IP Logged

The_Barnacle
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #8 - Jul 15th, 2020 at 3:58pm

SadKangaroo wrote on Jul 15th, 2020 at 3:35pm:
A better solution may be a more informed populous,

Good luck with that  Grin

The Right Wing only believe in free speech when they agree with what is being said.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Jul 15th, 2020 at 4:24pm

But we need one now.

maybe you should tell the drug companies that ... we all know they give a crap what you think Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

wombatwoody
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Wombat  NSW
Reply #10 - Jul 23rd, 2020 at 5:57am

The Bible is our charter - David Ben-Gurion

Genesis 15:18 : To your descendants I have given this land, from the river of Egypt to the River Euphrates.

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - Jul 23rd, 2020 at 7:44am

wombatwoody wrote on Jul 23rd, 2020 at 5:57am:

Make up your mind it's either going away or it's resurging in a 2nd wave.

From what I see it's the latter & whilst people carry on like selfish iceholes whining about their civil liberties being removed & doing the wrong thing ...... it won't be going away

and the whole country will end up back in full lock down.

And if as you post suggests it is "disappearing
too fast" ...

I'd say the sooner the better.......no?

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #12 - Jul 23rd, 2020 at 8:36am

Vacccine development is about a year ahead of where Bojak Horseschit said it would be just a few months ago. Remember this is for the pandemic he said we'd never have.

One thing is for sure, if the vaccine announcement was from a Chinese company, he'd get so excited head straight down to China Town and fill his mouth with cream of sumyung gai.

IBI

IP Logged

Carl D
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Rivervale, Perth
Reply #13 - Jul 23rd, 2020 at 8:52am

Ignoring the fact that it is Fox "News" the only stories I can find (for the moment) relating to the virus 'going away' are from back in May.

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-disappearing-so-fast-oxford-vaccine-has-o...

https://news.cgtn.com/news/2020-05-25/COVID-19-disappearing-so-fast-vaccine-has-...

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/coronavirus-may-vanish-too-fast-for-vaccine-t...

And probably a few more.

Now, fast forward to today.... does it still look like the virus is about to vanish any time soon?

"Masks are sand in the gears of the economy" - some f-wit pollie or big business CEO.

IP Logged

SadKangaroo
Gold Member

#FightStupid

Mianjin (Brisbane)
Reply #14 - Jul 23rd, 2020 at 9:18am

Carl D wrote on Jul 23rd, 2020 at 8:52am:

Ignoring the fact that it is Fox "News" the only stories I can find (for the moment) relating to the virus 'going away' are from back in May.

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-disappearing-so-fast-oxford-vaccine-has-o...

https://news.cgtn.com/news/2020-05-25/COVID-19-disappearing-so-fast-vaccine-has-...

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/coronavirus-may-vanish-too-fast-for-vaccine-t...

And probably a few more.

Now, fast forward to today.... does it still look like the virus is about to vanish any time soon?

Even if the numbers are going down in the UK or around the world to a point where statistically it's problematic for a vaccine trial, that's only because of the mitigation efforts, lockdowns, social distancing, mandatory use of masks etc that are in place.

The point of a vaccine is to be able to replace those actions with an immune population.

Woody, unless you want the use of Masks and other mitigation efforts to continue, we still need a vaccine or at the least more effective treatment for those who still suffer from the infection.

I thought you were anti all of those measures..?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print