Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Sleep apnoea, c-pap and travel. (Read 697 times)
Sophia

Sleep apnoea, c-pap and travel.
Jul 14th, 2020 at 10:44pm

There’s many now with diagnosed sleep apnea after spending a night in a sleep centre.
Once people get a c-pap with mask etc. how do (or did) people go with travelling with their machines?

Packed in check in suitcase, or in hand held luggage?

I found a nifty little travel  c-pap that’s as big as my hand, very light and so convenient without the bulk.
My small travel one takes up less space in luggage... more room to pack my shoes!! 🤗

It did cost $1600 on special, but had been a great travel item.
Even in hospital a few months ago, all the nurses were commenting admirably on how they never saw such a compact nifty looking c-pap before.
As hospital beds are awkward, I was able to clip on the bed frame.

I don’t understand why I have sleep apnoea and just stop breathing while asleep. I never believed this until I had gone in for a sleep study.

So had anyone travelled with a c-pap?

IP Logged

Vic
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne Victoria
Re: Sleep apnoea, c-pap and travel.
Reply #1 - Jul 15th, 2020 at 1:26pm

Sophia wrote on Jul 14th, 2020 at 10:44pm:
There’s many now with diagnosed sleep apnea after spending a night in a sleep centre.
Once people get a c-pap with mask etc. how do (or did) people go with travelling with their machines?

I found a nifty little travel  c-pap that’s as big as my hand, very light and so convenient without the bulk.
My small travel one takes up less space in luggage... more room to pack my shoes!! 🤗

Even in hospital a few months ago, all the nurses were commenting admirably on how they never saw such a compact nifty looking c-pap before.

I don’t understand why I have sleep apnoea and just stop breathing while asleep. I never believed this until I had gone in for a sleep study.

Yes, I have a RESMED10 and it has travelled the world with me.  Works in all countries I have been to with just a whatever country to aussie adapter plug.      Travels with me as medical hand luggage.   I now also have the RESMED mini machine which is a palm size machine and very easy to travel with.   It does not have all the bells and whistles the bigger one has, but, I can control it from my IPhone.  I do find it a bit noisier than the bigger machine but it is a good tradeoff.  It is great in the caravan as well as it only uses around 70 Watts  which is 5.8 amps per hour off the battery so I can go for a few days without worrying if for some reason I cannot recharge.

Football, Meat Pies, Kangaroos and Liberal Lies
Football, Meat Pies, Kangaroos and Liberal Lies

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Jul 15th, 2020 at 1:41pm

I don't understand mine either.

I'm not overweight, and I don't snore, but I stop breathing about 38 times per hour.

Unfortunately, CPAP doesn't help my sleep apnoea (it works on 80% of sufferers - I'm in the other 20%), so I've never had to travel with a machine.

I've tried them all, including the latest you beaut ResMed machines, but they don't improve my sleep at all.

I use a mandibular splint instead, which helps a fair bit.

The good thing is, they're very easy to travel with   Smiley

Oh, and I had a nose job (internal) which helped a fair bit too.

IP Logged

Sophia

Reply #3 - Jul 15th, 2020 at 2:55pm

Oh so a nose surgery helped?
I have a bit of sinus and wonder if I should’ve had my sinus nose area checked to breathing probs?

Anyway, my troubles began when I was between 7-9 months pregnant, as I’m petite, it pushed everything up under my chin practically!!
Since then the snuffled breathing during sleep had never left me, when the body changes to give way for a baby growing.... that’s where it all changes.
Sigh....

IP Logged

Sophia

Reply #4 - Jul 15th, 2020 at 3:01pm

Vic wrote on Jul 15th, 2020 at 1:26pm:

Yes, I have a RESMED10 and it has travelled the world with me.  Works in all countries I have been to with just a whatever country to aussie adapter plug.      Travels with me as medical hand luggage.   I now also have the RESMED mini machine which is a palm size machine and very easy to travel with.   It does not have all the bells and whistles the bigger one has, but, I can control it from my IPhone.  I do find it a bit noisier than the bigger machine but it is a good tradeoff.  It is great in the caravan as well as it only uses around 70 Watts  which is 5.8 amps per hour off the battery so I can go for a few days without worrying if for some reason I cannot recharge.   

My travel c-pap is a Resmed AirMini.
I took a chance buying such a pricey little thing no sure it would do a good job but it’s amazing actually.
I don’t know how much amps my particular one would use.
I believe there are deep cycle batteries to purchase for that specifically if one is camping without electricity etc

IP Logged

Jovial Monk
Gold Member

Dogs not cats!

Reply #5 - Jul 15th, 2020 at 4:53pm

I intend to live in a tent while my house is being built. I can have power but if I am diagnosed with sleep apnea I can’t have a full size machine in a tent!

Will look for portable, travel–friendly CPaps if/when I am diagnosed with sleep apnea.

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

If you don’t like abortions ignore them like you do school shootings.

IP Logged

Sophia

Reply #6 - Jul 17th, 2020 at 1:07pm

I hope it’s summertime tenting?

A house being built? By a builder no doubt? How long would it take?
Also, build a shed first, with loo, shower, and little make shift kitchen would be more comfy than a tent exposed to all weather elements.
Honestly, at your age this ‘roughing it’ stuff is past it’s use by date 😕
« Last Edit: Jul 17th, 2020 at 1:30pm by Sophia »  

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Jul 17th, 2020 at 1:22pm

Sophia wrote on Jul 15th, 2020 at 2:55pm:
Oh so a nose surgery helped?

Yep.

The nose job helped a lot.

They straightened my deviated septum and shrunk (or removed) the turbinates.

I went form waking up every 40 minutes to being able to sleep up to 2 hours in one stretch.

The operation isn't much fun though   Sad

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print