Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
The Brit Olympians cheated... technically (Read 2064 times)
UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
The Brit Olympians cheated... technically
Jul 13th, 2020 at 12:37am

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-8513525/amp/British-2012-Ol...

Quote:
British Olympians were used as guinea pigs to test an experimental substance in a secret UK Sport project costing hundreds of thousands of pounds of public money in a bid to enhance their performance at London 2012, an MoS investigation has found.

So, it was not just the home country advantage that inspired their athletes to perform well for Great Britain. It was also the added advantage of having certain performance enhancers that were not banned in 2012's Olympic Games.

Whilst I have heard of Anna Meares giving a backhanded compliment about how the Great Britain team had it together -- and whatever else they had together -- she may be validated with her concerns about the superior track cycling performances of the Great Britain team.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Re: The Brit Olympians cheated... technically
Reply #1 - Jul 13th, 2020 at 6:58am

American Military Pilots and Tank crew used amphetamines during their Iraq/Afghanistan campaigns.

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Prime Minister for Canyons
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #2 - Jul 13th, 2020 at 10:31am

UnSubRocky wrote on Jul 13th, 2020 at 12:37am:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-8513525/amp/British-2012-Ol...

Quote:
British Olympians were used as guinea pigs to test an experimental substance in a secret UK Sport project costing hundreds of thousands of pounds of public money in a bid to enhance their performance at London 2012, an MoS investigation has found.

So, it was not just the home country advantage that inspired their athletes to perform well for Great Britain. It was also the added advantage of having certain performance enhancers that were not banned in 2012's Olympic Games.

Whilst I have heard of Anna Meares giving a backhanded compliment about how the Great Britain team had it together -- and whatever else they had together -- she may be validated with her concerns about the superior track cycling performances of the Great Britain team.

I think at the time GB cycling was still being run by Dave Brailsford, who is renowned for pushing the envelope (at times a little too far)

In a time of universal deceit — telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

No evidence whatsoever it can be attributed to George Orwell or Eric Arthur Blair (in fact the same guy)

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #3 - Jul 13th, 2020 at 3:33pm

Jasin wrote on Jul 13th, 2020 at 6:58am:
American Military Pilots and Tank crew used amphetamines during their Iraq/Afghanistan campaigns.

And the Australian SAS use performance enhancers before their campaigns. But it is a different context altogether about the use of performance enhancers in international athletics competitions. Whilst, technically, the British have not cheated, they are morally suspect about using drugs that are not on the banned list. It is bad enough that caffeine is on the banned list. So, we should be considering that the 'supplements' that the Brits used must also be worthy of being banned, too.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #4 - Jul 13th, 2020 at 7:09pm

I think Athletes should be able to use as many performance enhancing drugs as they like, if 'winning' is that important to them (and people/companies invested in them).
We might see some 'genetically engineered' Athletes doing amazing things. It's ok to have people modify themselves 'technologically' like Mech Warriors, but not 'biologically' like Kaiju.

Roid up I say. Survival of the Fittest!  Wink

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Mr Hammer
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Jul 13th, 2020 at 9:04pm

They should have a sport where the object is to take the most steroids. Is body building a sport?

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #6 - Jul 13th, 2020 at 11:21pm

Jasin wrote on Jul 13th, 2020 at 7:09pm:
I think Athletes should be able to use as many performance enhancing drugs as they like, if 'winning' is that important to them (and people/companies invested in them).
We might see some 'genetically engineered' Athletes doing amazing things. It's ok to have people modify themselves 'technologically' like Mech Warriors, but not 'biologically' like Kaiju.

Roid up I say. Survival of the Fittest!  Wink

So, which is it? Using steroids, or survival of the fittest?

International sporting events are about endurance and fitness. Not much sport in someone winning through cheating.

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #7 - Jul 14th, 2020 at 9:49am

UnSubRocky wrote on Jul 13th, 2020 at 3:33pm:
Jasin wrote on Jul 13th, 2020 at 6:58am:

And the Australian SAS use performance enhancers before their campaigns. But it is a different context altogether about the use of performance enhancers in international athletics competitions. Whilst, technically, the British have not cheated, they are morally suspect about using drugs that are not on the banned list. It is bad enough that caffeine is on the banned list. So, we should be considering that the 'supplements' that the Brits used must also be worthy of being banned, too.

Caffene isn't banned. It used to be prohibited above a certain amount but that indication was dropped.

No evidence whatsoever it can be attributed to George Orwell or Eric Arthur Blair (in fact the same guy)

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #8 - Jul 14th, 2020 at 10:20am

You're right Unsubrocky.
Sport is about getting fit. 'Winning' (Champion) is the financial icing on the cake. Australian Cricket couldn't win, unless they cheated. Is winning that important to enjoy getting fit? Well to many it is. There is $$$ to be made out of Sport (like everything else). So if they want to 'enhance' themselves artificially, because they just can't live with being 'normal' - then let them (suffer the side-effects too!).

I can see Genetic/Bio - Engineering taking off like a USA with 'too much Freedom' on their hands.

I played Sport for 'fun & fitness' - I was never into the violence and other 'unprofessional' aspects of Australian sport. 'Winning' was never my priority. Just getting fit and having fun with others was my 'winning' aspect.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #9 - Jul 14th, 2020 at 3:36pm

Sport is about competition. You basically have to be a certain age and gender to compete in a sport at an elite level. If you are female or aged under 20, you are usually expected to compete in a different level of competition. I do not see why a person aged 25, who has been training seriously for his last 10 years, should have to be outgunned by people who have decided that they needed to start taking steroids or whatever performance enhancers in the last year.

I have seen the likes of Griffith-Joyner knock a good half-second off her 100m times to give her a world record. And she took half a second off her 200m times to give her a world record. I sat and watched Ben Johnson smash the world record in his Olympic final. And I saw footage of Marita Koch run a 400m time that no other female 400m runner (apart from a Czech runner) has come close to getting within half a second. All of whom were suspected of (and only Johnson being found to have) using performance enhancers.

These athletes have had their records questioned. And there have even been calls for pre-1990s athletic records to be rescinded from records due to the dubious nature of doping back then. These days, athletes cannot have a coffee or tea without the drug tests coming back to haunt the athletes.

And whilst we look back on the South African tour by the Aussies as one we would like to forget, the team did go on to beat the English team (barely) whilst in England. I suppose the English team did have the umpires under pressure by the crowd not to award an LBW to Australia to win the match and then series 3-1. But, the Australian team managed to get through all the banter and low self-esteem to come up without any drug or technical assistance.

If we start allowing athletes to cheat by any means, it won't be long before you start seeing stuff like this:

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #10 - Jul 14th, 2020 at 4:15pm

These days, athletes cannot have a coffee or tea without the drug tests coming back to haunt the athletes.

How many times do I have to say it, caffeine is not a banned substance.

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #11 - Jul 14th, 2020 at 4:17pm

https://www.wada-ama.org/en/content/what-is-prohibited/prohibited-in-competition...

Bupropion, caffeine, nicotine, phenylephrine, phenylpropanolamine, pipradrol, and synephrine: These substances are included in the 2020 Monitoring Program, and are not considered Prohibited Substances.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #12 - Jul 15th, 2020 at 3:52pm

Prime Minister for Canyons wrote on Jul 14th, 2020 at 4:15pm:
These days, athletes cannot have a coffee or tea without the drug tests coming back to haunt the athletes.

It was a long time ago, but I had heard of athletes who were observed for having too much caffeine in their system. Perhaps they were just mentioned for having good sprint times and were not banned. But, their performances were questioned.

My ex-gf had a Coca Cola before a school cross country. She ran the 4.5km and then collapsed after finishing the race in a good time. Obviously, too much caffeine might worsen an athlete's performance. But the short term gains can be considered performance enhancers. Even if caffeine is technically legal.

It looks like I misread what stimulants are on the banned list.

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #13 - Jul 15th, 2020 at 4:06pm

UnSubRocky wrote on Jul 15th, 2020 at 3:52pm:
Prime Minister for Canyons wrote on Jul 14th, 2020 at 4:15pm:

It was a long time ago, but I had heard of athletes who were observed for having too much caffeine in their system. Perhaps they were just mentioned for having good sprint times and were not banned. But, their performances were questioned.

My ex-gf had a Coca Cola before a school cross country. She ran the 4.5km and then collapsed after finishing the race in a good time. Obviously, too much caffeine might worsen an athlete's performance. But the short term gains can be considered performance enhancers. Even if caffeine is technically legal.

It looks like I misread what stimulants are on the banned list.

There was a point in time where a certain level was prohibited but its now not the case. Its considered an ergogenic aid, increasing alertness but theres evidence it aids in fat metabolism.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #14 - Jul 15th, 2020 at 9:07pm

Quote:
There was a point in time where a certain level was prohibited but its now not the case. Its considered an ergogenic aid, increasing alertness but theres evidence it aids in fat metabolism.

That would be part of the reasoning that I thought that caffeine was banned in sport. We had news of Alex Watson testing positive for excessive caffeine levels in 1988. He served a two-year ban and then competed at the 1992 Olympics.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print