Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10
Send Topic Print
Shipwrecks. (Read 15159 times)
John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Shipwrecks.
Reply #90 - Nov 29th, 2022 at 2:17pm

Apparently I saw a shipwreck on the weekend ... had all these signs posted around the sight about how it was a protected area and to minimize your impact blah blah blah ,,,, and apart from a whole heap of sand, there was one piece if about 2 inches of rusty metal sticking out of the sand (calm down bobby). Nothing else there. I'm hoping that if I go back in a few months after a big storm some of the sand might have washed away.

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

Sophia

Reply #91 - Nov 30th, 2022 at 9:15am

Carl D wrote on Nov 29th, 2022 at 11:15am:
Hey, Sophia.

I was just looking again at the Jared Owen animation and it shows just how long the propeller shafts really are.

The second animation (Double Vision) shows a 'shortened' version of the shafts because I assume the animator didn't want to waste screen 'real estate' just to show the entire shaft lengths.

On the wreck today you can see only see the 2 'wing' propellers half buried in the mud and that's only because the 2 outer shafts were bent up by about 20 degrees when the stern section of Titanic slammed into the ocean floor.

The centre propeller is deeply buried in the mud and can't be seen. In fact, there's been some controversy over the past 15 years as to whether the ship had a 3 or 4 bladed centre propeller after a long lost builders notebook was found.

The mystery of Titanic's central propeller

The Jared Owen animation shows a 4 bladed centre propeller.

I don't think the day will ever come when anyone can truthfully say they know everything about the Titanic.

Geez them shafts are long! Imagine the whining noise it must continually make and those in 3rd class must’ve heard it all the night long while trying to sleep.
From what I recall when on ships… it sails slower during waking hours so as not to rattle around too much for passengers comfort.
But at night it speeds up…. and hence why the Titanic was going at quite a considerable speed which had more impact with an iceberg.

IP Logged

Sophia

Reply #92 - Nov 30th, 2022 at 9:22am

Carl D wrote on Nov 29th, 2022 at 2:11pm:
Actually, all of this reminds me that I haven't watched the Leonardo and Kate 3 hour Titanic epic for a while.

The iceberg collision and initial flooding scenes were especially well done for 1997.

One thing that has always made me cringe is towards the end of that video clip when the watertight doors are closing and men are scrambling to get under them before they close (with a couple of close calls too) and then we see men who didn't make it looking around in panic not knowing what to do and the audience probably thinking they are going to drown.

While this makes for a bit of 'dramatic cinema' all those men needed to do was climb up the escape ladders to the deck above. Even ship designers back in those days knew there could be situations where individual compartments had to be sealed off quickly and escape ladders were needed.

In fact, after the collision the workers in the 2 flooding forward boiler rooms climbed up the ladders and waited for orders for what to do next - and those orders were to climb back down and start putting out the fires in the boilers which is what a couple of men are doing in the attached image below from the 1958 Titanic movie A Night To Remember which shows shipbuilder Thomas Andrews (played by Michael Goodliffe) on one of these escape ladders in one of the flooding boiler rooms - he's the one on the right and the expression on his face says it all after he's surveyed the damage and realises the ship is doomed.

The actual dialogue from that scene was:

Chief Engineer Joseph Bell: "Anything more you want to see?"
Thomas Andrews: "No. (turns his head and looks around) Chief, I'd get those men up as soon as you can".
Joseph Bell: "Yes, I'll... I'll do that, Mr. Andrews".

The other thing from the James Cameron epic in the video clip is when First Officer William Murdoch closes the watertight doors from the bridge and an indicator panel lights up showing when the doors have closed (this is also in A Night To Remember and other Titanic movies).

Turns out there was no such lighted indicator panel on the Titanic. One was retrofitted to the Olympic after the Titanic disaster and one was also fitted to Britannic, the 3rd sister.

There was just a single lever on the bridge to close the watertight doors on the Titanic... and still today no one is absolutely sure exactly where it was located. Oh, and there was a button next to the lever to sound warning bells to let those down below know that the doors were about to close (and Murdoch waited about 10 seconds between sounding the bells and moving the lever to close the doors - he didn't do both at the same time as shown in the film clip).

And that lever only closed about 12 "automatic" doors at the very bottom of the ship as you see in the video clip. The rest - about 20 or 30 throughout the ship from memory - all had to be closed by hand. Some were, some weren't and some were even closed then opened again later (including some of the "automatic" doors in the engine compartments and unflooded boiler rooms) to run hoses and pipes when the engineers were trying to rig extra pumps.

Fascinating reading! Yes watching them scrambling feet before the doors closed freaked me out too!

But speaking of Titanic movies…. back in the 70s whilst I travelled an hour each way on trains to work… I would read a lot… and one memorable book was “Raise the Titanic” brilliantly written by suspense author Clive Cussler. From the first page it got me in… I could not put that book down… and then…. a movie was done based on that book!
This was all done ‘before’ the Titanic was found!
If you ever get a chance, view that movie “Raise the Titanic” ….

IP Logged

Sophia

Reply #93 - Nov 30th, 2022 at 9:34am

John Smith wrote on Nov 29th, 2022 at 2:17pm:
Apparently I saw a shipwreck on the weekend ... had all these signs posted around the sight about how it was a protected area and to minimize your impact blah blah blah ,,,, and apart from a whole heap of sand, there was one piece if about 2 inches of rusty metal sticking out of the sand (calm down bobby). Nothing else there. I'm hoping that if I go back in a few months after a big storm some of the sand might have washed away.

So the sand has almost totally closed this wreck. I wonder what the name of ship was… history … etc
More details next time you visit John!

I saw the Maheno shipwreck on Fraser Island back in 2006 with photos I took with my first Kodak 4 megapixel digi cam.
There’s write ups of how the sand is sadly consuming the wreck… I would love to see how much is still exposed … maybe one day I will go there again and take more photos from the same standing viewpoint of photos I took back then for comparison.

Going to Hervey Bay is a two flight trip from Melbourne… then going across to island by ferry and then either bus or 4WD…. Perhaps a helicopter ride from HB direct to Maheno is better.  Hubby couldn’t be bothered going back there again but I would love to.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #94 - Nov 30th, 2022 at 9:35am

Sophia wrote on Nov 30th, 2022 at 9:34am:

I'd love to but there are to many dickheads on this forum.

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

Sophia

Reply #95 - Nov 30th, 2022 at 10:10am

John Smith wrote on Nov 30th, 2022 at 9:35am:
Sophia wrote on Nov 30th, 2022 at 9:34am:

I'd love to but there are to many dickheads on this forum.

That’s okay… I came across this very interesting article online about all shipwrecks along the NSW coastline …. Fascinating reading!

https://www.michaelmcfadyenscuba.info/downloads/Shipwrecks%20along%20the%20NSW%2...

IP Logged

Sophia

Reply #96 - Nov 30th, 2022 at 10:14am

Geez the amount of shipwrecks around Tasmania shoreline!  Shocked
Reason I looked up Tassy because of how rough Bass Strait is!

https://www.sail-world.com/-96949/

IP Logged

Sophia

Reply #97 - Nov 30th, 2022 at 10:19am

And not forgetting the huge coast of Western Australia ….

https://rac.com.au/travel-touring/info/shipwrecks-wa

Here’s an interesting interactive page….

https://museum.wa.gov.au/maritime-archaeology-db/wrecks/map

What a divers paradise this would be! Imagine all the treasures and artificers therein with 1,300 undiscovered shipwrecks off the coast of WA!
I think Xavier (Jasin) is a diver and maybe could tell a tale or two!

https://www.watoday.com.au/national/western-australia/up-to-1300-shipwrecks-lie-...

« Last Edit: Nov 30th, 2022 at 10:53am by Sophia »  

IP Logged

Sophia

Reply #98 - Nov 30th, 2022 at 10:29am

And…. Scroll down to 60 minutes about Australia’s largest mass murder cold case….

https://oztreasure.weebly.com/western-australian-shipwrecks.html

IP Logged

Sophia

Reply #99 - Nov 30th, 2022 at 10:50am

Victoria…. there’s some interesting excursions I would like to go do… just pack the van and go!
Weather starting to finally warm up here.

5 Facts you may not know about the Shipwreck Coast
There’s a section of coast between Cape Otway and Port Fairy in Victoria that holds a fascinating chapter in Australian maritime history. Base yourself in Warrnambool and discover the stories for yourself.
More than 700 cargo and passenger ships came to a grief along Victoria’s south west coast in the 1700-1800s, but only around 200 have been documented.
There’s a section of the coast, between Cape Otway and Port Fairy that’s specifically called the Shipwreck Coast.
Warrnambool is a great place to base yourself to experience this section of coast – a must-do experience when visiting the Great Ocean Road region.
Here are 5 facts to entice you to stay for a few days and truly immerse yourself in the fascinating chapter of Australian maritime history.

1. It’s 130kms from start to finish.
The Shipwreck Coast is officially between Cape Otway (1.5 hours from the South Australian border) and Port Fairy (about 3 hours from Melbourne).
I recommend you base yourself in Warrnambool, so you can travel to Port Fairy and back on one day and to Cape Otway and back the next.
There are plenty of other things to do and see in Warrnambool, so make a long weekend of it…or stay a while!
–        Search accommodation
–        Search cafes/restaurant
2. Even Mr Flinders was scared
Infamous British explorer Matthew Flinders notably said he’d never seen a “more fearful section of coastline”.
Nature is still a powerful force along the coastline and there are operating lighthouses at:
– Airey’s Inlet
– Cape Nelson
– Cape Otway
– Port Fairy
– Portland (Whalers Bluff and Portland Bay)
– Warrnambool
3. You can see parts of the wrecks
Once you personally see the raw and rugged coastline of the south west coast, you can understand how these ships came to grief, either due to weather or human error (and some where even said to be caused by foul play!).
The remains of the ships lay where they met their demise and you can see anchors at Wreck Beach.
* Parts of wrecks can be found at Apollo Bay Cable Station, Heytesbury Historical Society, Port Campbell Information Centre, Flagstaff Hill Maritime Museum and Village and Anglesea and District Historical Society.
4. You can go at any time of the year
Any time of the year is magnificent in the Great Ocean Road region, but, if you come during Autumn and Winter, you’ll beat the crowds and have a better chance of having the beach to yourself, seeing a whale and truly experiencing the exhilarating coastal conditions.
* Whales migrate to our warmer waters in winter to mate, birth and nurse their young. Click here for the Whale Trail.
5. Experience the sea-faring life at Flagstaff Hill
The replica maritime village perfectly illustrates what life was like in the 1800s for a small coastal town. You can discover artifacts from the famous Loch Ard Gorge shipwreck and attend the ‘Tales of the Shipwreck Coast’ sound and light show any night of the week. It will blow the whole family away!
* You can get a weekend pass
* There’s a restaurant/café on site (with amazing views of Lady Bay)
* You can stay at the Lighthouse Cottage
* It’s also the site of the Visitor Information Centre and gift shop

IP Logged

Carl D
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Rivervale, Perth
Reply #100 - Nov 30th, 2022 at 12:06pm

Sophia wrote on Nov 30th, 2022 at 9:22am:
But speaking of Titanic movies…. back in the 70s whilst I travelled an hour each way on trains to work… I would read a lot… and one memorable book was “Raise the Titanic” brilliantly written by suspense author Clive Cussler. From the first page it got me in… I could not put that book down… and then…. a movie was done based on that book!
This was all done ‘before’ the Titanic was found!
If you ever get a chance, view that movie “Raise the Titanic” ….

Ah, yes... Raise The Titanic.

I have the movie on BluRay.  Cool

I also saw the movie at the cinema here in Perth in 1981, I vividly remember going into the foyer of the cinema with 2 or 3 of my friends, handing our tickets to the lady and asking "Where do we sit?" and her reply was "Anywhere".

When we entered the cinema it was easy to see why - there were probably only about 20 people in there (including us).  Grin

It was a real box office flop and it was worse for me because I had already read Clive Cussler's excellent book a year or two earlier. The changes made to the bow section of the 50 foot long model of the ship were particulary cringeworthy for anyone who has studied the Titanic in detail.  The addition of those 2 tall vents on each side of the forward mast was the worst change of the lot.

These changes were made to make the bow area of the model look like the old liner they used as a 'stand in' for the Titanic in the live action scenes on deck. Which greatly annoyed Titanic historian and artist Ken Marschall (he supervised the building of the model) because he wanted the model to be the most accurate Titanic model ever made up until then.

https://www.denofgeek.com/movies/raise-the-titanic-and-its-5-million-replica-lin...

The liner used as a 'stand in' for the film:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_Santa_Rosa_(1932)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_Santa_Rosa_(1932)#Raise_the_Titanic

If you look at the picture in the second link taken in 1986 (click on it twice to enlarge fully) you can still see the name Titanic on her bow. I've enlarged and circled it in the attached image.

The good news is the model (what was left of it) has been saved after it was left to deteriorate for decades.

« Last Edit: Nov 30th, 2022 at 12:44pm by Carl D »  

athinai.jpg (38 KB | 5 )
athinai.jpg

"Masks are sand in the gears of the economy" - some f-wit pollie or big business CEO.

IP Logged

Carl D
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Rivervale, Perth
Reply #101 - Nov 30th, 2022 at 12:34pm

But, as awful as the film was for many people the soundtrack by John Barry still stands out as a masterpiece.

As it says, this is from the original soundtrack, not a re-recording. Unfortunately, the original soundtrack master tapes were lost many years ago and an original soundtrack album or CD was never released probably due to the film being a flop.

Actually, this re-recording by the City of Prague Philharmonic is great and pretty true to the original recording.

« Last Edit: Nov 30th, 2022 at 12:42pm by Carl D »  

"Masks are sand in the gears of the economy" - some f-wit pollie or big business CEO.

IP Logged

Sophia

Reply #102 - Nov 30th, 2022 at 2:26pm

Wow Carl… that all gave me goosebumps! I can’t recall where or when I watched the movie! Probably on TV. I enjoyed it and I didn’t realise it was a flop. I would watch it again … soon in fact!
That replica model getting saved is nice… “save the titanic”  Smiley
It’s hard to expect much from an any movie after reading the book first.
That music so reminds me of Star Wars music as it was all around the same time it all came about.
Aah memories of the mid to late 70’s.
I’m into Star Wars, Star Trek and soon will go to watch the new Avatar.
I went into the Reading cinema a few days ago to see which seating area I liked… the theatre was empty so they said it was okay for me to go in…Titan Luxe with reclining seats.
So I bum tested where I want to sit to pre order tickets for there Grin

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #103 - Nov 30th, 2022 at 6:20pm

Here's a neat clip of the Lermie in NZ. Massive 117m long wreck. I've been all through it years ago. The Cinema is at 7:50min into it.
Nothing like diving through a Wreck and you hear (feel) another part of the Wreck come crashing down. Shocked  Cheesy

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=lermontov+wreck+-+underwater+footage&&view=...

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Sophia

Reply #104 - Nov 30th, 2022 at 9:35pm

Jasin wrote on Nov 30th, 2022 at 6:20pm:
Here's a neat clip of the Lermie in NZ. Massive 117m long wreck. I've been all through it years ago. The Cinema is at 7:50min into it.
Nothing like diving through a Wreck and you hear (feel) another part of the Wreck come crashing down. Shocked  Cheesy

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=lermontov+wreck+-+underwater+footage&&view=...

The cinema was amazing to see with all those threwn seats.
Not sure I’d be brave enough to go through a shipwreck or any tight spot but I’d be happy to float about the outside perimeters of a wreck.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10
Send Topic Print