Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Facing The Worse Job Market In 40 Years (Read 962 times)
whiteknight
Gold Member

Australian Politics

melbourne
Facing The Worse Job Market In 40 Years
Jul 4th, 2020 at 12:38pm

Young people facing worst jobs market in 40 years   Sad
3 July 2020
ACTU

Youth unemployment is at its highest point since July 1997, and 750,000 workers are currently employed with no hours of work, many only employed thanks to JobKeeper.

Against this backdrop the Morrison Government is spreading misinformation about young people refusing to work while failing to confirm the extension of  JobKeeper past September, at a time when millions of workers are still reliant on it and hundreds of thousands would lose work instantly without it.

Quotes attributable to ACTU President Michele O’Neil:

“Young people are facing conditions that we haven’t seen since the 70s. They need support from the Government to ensure that they come out of this pandemic with a job.

“What they are getting instead is baseless assertions from the Morrison Government that they aren’t taking their opportunities. The data clearly shows these opportunities are a figment of the Government’s imagination. There is only one job available for every 12 people looking for one.

“The prime Minister wants to move on, but huge parts of the country are still deep in this crisis and most young people are still just trying to survive.

“Cutting JobKeeper in September would be a catastrophe for the millions of Australian workers who are currently using it to pay their bills and rent.

“We need leadership and a plan for job creation from this Government, not a tired rerun of blaming unemployed young people for the fact they can’t find a job.

IP Logged

Carl D
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Rivervale, Perth
Re: Facing The Worse Job Market In 40 Years
Reply #1 - Jul 4th, 2020 at 12:43pm

Might be time for the Federal government to consider putting the pension age back to 65 and leaving it there so more 'oldies' can retire on the age pension (if they don't have enough super) and more jobs are available for young people.

Won't be holding my breath waiting for that to happen, of course.
« Last Edit: Jul 4th, 2020 at 12:48pm by Carl D »  

"Masks are sand in the gears of the economy" - some f-wit pollie or big business CEO.

IP Logged

Valkie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Central Coast
Reply #2 - Jul 4th, 2020 at 6:54pm

I'm about to do my bit.

In 15 days I'm putting my notice in.
At 62 it means I'm retiring 5 years before the grubberment has dictated I should.
It means ill be depleting my super sufficiently to still be eligable for a pension when I turn 70 ish.
So I'll be living comfortably in my retirement, and loving it.

It's also an attack on my current employer who I am unhappy with.

I have been very carefully planning this to have the maximum detrimental effect on the company.

It was good initially,  but with the two new managers the place has gone to shite.
A HR manager who has zero qualifications other than "attendance certificates" and a site manager who has no qualifications at all.
Both "know the boss" so were ideal for the roles, yeah, right.

We are due for departmental audits
Neither of these fools have any idea what's involved
Neither have any engineering qualifications
And neither know the system or it's operations.

15 days and it's on.
Let's see them bull shite their way out of this one.

I HAVE A DREAM
A WONDERFUL, PEACEFUL, BEAUTIFUL DREAM.
A DREAM OF A WORLD THAT HAS NEVER KNOWN ISLAM
A DREAM OF A WORLD FREE FROM THE HORRORS OF ISLAM.

SUCH A WONDERFUL DREAM
O HOW I WISH IT WERE TRU

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Jul 4th, 2020 at 7:20pm

Valkie wrote on Jul 4th, 2020 at 6:54pm:

wife was just notified yesterday that her hours would be cut in half to make way for a 'friend' of the  manager. No qualifications or experience for the role whatsoever, plus a newborn baby. Then the boss scheduled my wife to work half a day Saturday. As work is in Brissie and we live on the GC, I suggested to the wife that she tell them to get her friend to work the Saturday.

Employers demand loyalty, but never provide it. Timings not great but i suggested wifey should start looking elsewhere. It's up to her.

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

Bam
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Jul 4th, 2020 at 7:47pm

John Smith wrote on Jul 4th, 2020 at 7:20pm:

wife was just notified yesterday that her hours would be cut in half to make way for a 'friend' of the  manager. No qualifications or experience for the role whatsoever, plus a newborn baby. Then the boss scheduled my wife to work half a day Saturday. As work is in Brissie and we live on the GC, I suggested to the wife that she tell them to get her friend to work the Saturday.

Employers demand loyalty, but never provide it. Timings not great but i suggested wifey should start looking elsewhere. It's up to her.

Your dear wife should definitely start looking. Her chances of finding new employment are reasonable. She's currently got a job, so she's not going to experience the resume-gap discrimination that is rampant in this country.

You are not entitled to your opinion. You are only entitled to hold opinions that you can defend through sound, reasoned argument.

IP Logged

Bam
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Jul 4th, 2020 at 7:49pm

It is abundantly clear that full employment needs to return. Real full employment, not the lie of declaring 5% unemployment to be full employment.

You are not entitled to your opinion. You are only entitled to hold opinions that you can defend through sound, reasoned argument.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #6 - Jul 4th, 2020 at 8:00pm

« Last Edit: Jul 4th, 2020 at 8:13pm by Gordon »  

IBI

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #7 - Jul 4th, 2020 at 9:50pm

The last half '70s were a great time for work, you could walk out of your job, go next door and be hired. I don't know where worst time since the '70s comes from, maybe they are thinking everyone from that long ago has dementia now.

IP Logged

Baronvonrort
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Jul 4th, 2020 at 10:33pm

whiteknight wrote on Jul 4th, 2020 at 12:38pm:

What do you do to earn money?

Leftists and the Ayatollahs have a lot in common when it comes to criticism of Islam, they don't tolerate it.

IP Logged

Bam
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Jul 4th, 2020 at 11:53pm

Baronvonrort wrote on Jul 4th, 2020 at 10:33pm:
whiteknight wrote on Jul 4th, 2020 at 12:38pm:

What do you do to earn money?

Why do you need to know? Is this the rightist desire to classify people before assessing their opinions?

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #10 - Jul 5th, 2020 at 1:40am

Carl D wrote on Jul 4th, 2020 at 12:43pm:
Might be time for the Federal government to consider putting the pension age back to 65 and leaving it there so more 'oldies' can retire on the age pension (if they don't have enough super) and more jobs are available for young people.

Won't be holding my breath waiting for that to happen, of course.

Now, now - don't you be sensible - you'll frighten the politicians and their staffers.....

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #11 - Jul 5th, 2020 at 1:42am

Bam wrote on Jul 4th, 2020 at 7:47pm:

Your dear wife should definitely start looking. Her chances of finding new employment are reasonable. She's currently got a job, so she's not going to experience the resume-gap discrimination that is rampant in this country.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Reply #12 - Jul 5th, 2020 at 3:58am

I was a young person in the 70s and never had a problem getting a job - there were jobs everywhere - not like the last 20 years or so. somethings fudged with those numbers.

Spot

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
- edited by some unethical admin - you think its funny? - its a slippery slope
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - Jul 5th, 2020 at 9:49am

I've been telling her to look elsewhere for ages. With two young kids her traveling to Brissie to work is not ideal. Especially since my work can sometimes drag on after hours. Her problem is that she gets attached to her employers and treats them like friends. She'll drop everything to go and help if they get stuck thinking they'll one day reciprocate. I've tried telling her they'll use her and spit her out when it suits but my wife is stubborn. This might be the shove she needs.

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

Bam
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #14 - Jul 5th, 2020 at 12:29pm

John Smith wrote on Jul 5th, 2020 at 9:49am:

I've been telling her to look elsewhere for ages. With two young kids her traveling to Brissie to work is not ideal. Especially since my work can sometimes drag on after hours. Her problem is that she gets attached to her employers and treats them like friends. She'll drop everything to go and help if they get stuck thinking they'll one day reciprocate. I've tried telling her they'll use her and spit her out when it suits but my wife is stubborn. This might be the shove she needs.

The best bit is she's got two reasons for leaving. One to tell the boss (find work closer to home), and the real one (the boss is disloyal).

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print