issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Re: Atheism Logo?
Reply #45 - Mar 24th, 2021 at 8:07am

Sir Spot of Borg wrote on Mar 24th, 2021 at 7:18am:
Jasin wrote on Mar 23rd, 2021 at 10:24pm:
I think then that Atheism ceases to exist entirely beyond being just Anti-Religious, sipping cafe-lattes in a black skivvy, not showing any 'movements' even in their bowels.

Time to ditch the Board then.

Atheism isnt anti-religious its just non-religious

Spot

That's another reason why I am not an Atheist. I am anti-religion. They establish hierarchies through unverifiable claims of esoteric knowledge. I don't care what people believe, until they start lying about it.

No political allegiance. No philosophy. No religion.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #46 - Apr 28th, 2021 at 3:24pm

issuevoter wrote on Mar 24th, 2021 at 8:07am:
I think then that Atheism ceases to exist entirely beyond being just Anti-Religious, sipping cafe-lattes in a black skivvy, not showing any 'movements' even in their bowels.

Spot

That's another reason why I am not an Atheist. I am anti-religion. They establish hierarchies through unverifiable claims of esoteric knowledge. I don't care what people believe, until they start lying about it.

The Media is doing to the New Worlds, 'exactly' what Religion did to the Old Worlds.  Wink

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Captain Nemo
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #47 - Jun 20th, 2021 at 2:43pm

This one is nicely sarcastic ... but maybe it wouldn't shrink down too well for an avatar?

Grin

or this?

or

Or ...

Grin
« Last Edit: Jun 20th, 2021 at 2:52pm by Captain Nemo »  

The 2025 election could be a shocker.
IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #48 - Jul 11th, 2021 at 10:33am

Spot

It is anti-religious by definition. It only exists as a reaction to religion. Without religion, atheism could not exist. If you wanted to be an antheist in a world without religion, you would fist have to invent a religion to not believe in.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #49 - Jul 11th, 2021 at 12:28pm

Bobby. wrote on Mar 21st, 2021 at 8:28pm:
Ayn Marx wrote on Mar 21st, 2021 at 8:10pm:
Bobby. wrote on Mar 21st, 2021 at 7:10pm:

Just what we’d expect from a simpleton.

Suggest a better one then and stop complaining.

https://i.ibb.co/QDxdjJW/Atheist-Devil.jpg

Why was the logo I made rejected?

IP Logged

The_Barnacle
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #50 - Jul 11th, 2021 at 12:31pm

freediver wrote on Jul 11th, 2021 at 10:33am:
It is anti-religious by definition. It only exists as a reaction to religion.

That depends on your definition of Atheism. Many see it as an absence of belief in deities.
An absence of belief doesn't require the presence of belief to exist. An absence of belief is passive, and is not a reaction against anything.

freediver wrote on Jul 11th, 2021 at 10:33am:
If you wanted to be an antheist in a world without religion, you would fist have to invent a religion to not believe in.

Before religion was invented by humans some time in the stone age as an attempt to explain the world, it was effectively an atheist world.

Jasin wrote on Mar 21st, 2021 at 10:12pm:
Atheism started as an ANTI religious movement, nothing more.

It knew what it was against, but still doesn't know what it's for.

At the most, the odd black-skivvy, shaved head, cafe-latte sipping, Paddington living, Media-loving man with an interest in Science instead (because he had to belong to someone, if not Religion).

Atheism isn't a "movement" and it is not a "belief"
There is no ideology or code of conduct that atheists adhere to.
"Atheist" is purely a label given to differentiate them from Theists.

The Right Wing only believe in free speech when they agree with what is being said.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #51 - Aug 5th, 2021 at 7:26am

Quote:
That depends on your definition of Atheism. Many see it as an absence of belief in deities.

You cannot even define atheism without religion. It would be like trying to identify as an aborgist in a world without star trek. It would have no meaning at all.

Quote:
Before religion was invented by humans some time in the stone age as an attempt to explain the world, it was effectively an atheist world.

How do you know this?

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #52 - Aug 5th, 2021 at 8:59pm

freediver wrote on Aug 5th, 2021 at 7:26am:
Quote:

You cannot even define atheism without religion. It would be like trying to identify as an aborgist in a world without star trek. It would have no meaning at all.

Quote:

How do you know this?

The name describes the condition. I am atheist because I don't believe just any crap people make up. I believe in god as much as fairies in my garden or a teapot orbiting the sun. Show me or you're talking shyte. I don't believe in god, as much as I don't believe in Leprechauns, ie, I don't believe the stories.

If god believers see no belief the same as a belief, tell me why you believe I have a fairy in my pocket.

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #53 - Aug 5th, 2021 at 9:51pm

Setanta wrote on Aug 5th, 2021 at 8:59pm:
tell me why you believe I have a fairy in my pocket.

Is that a fairy in your pocket or...?

Conviction is the art of being certain

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #54 - Aug 5th, 2021 at 9:57pm

Setanta wrote on Aug 5th, 2021 at 8:59pm:
freediver wrote on Aug 5th, 2021 at 7:26am:
Quote:

Quote:

How do you know this?

The name describes the condition. I am atheist because I don't believe just any crap people make up. I believe in god as much as fairies in my garden or a teapot orbiting the sun. Show me or you're talking shyte. I don't believe in god, as much as I don't believe in Leprechauns, ie, I don't believe the stories.

If god believers see no belief the same as a belief, tell me why you believe I have a fairy in my pocket.

I think you are intelligent enough to know that is not a good enough reason. In fact I believe there are a lot of intelligent people who claim to be atheists as a kind of reaction to Judeo-Christian silliness. If one expands the idea of a diety beyond father-figures, judges, and personality, we have about as good an explanation of cosmic truth as any other. But it is like talking about reality before the big bang, and just to go on record, I don't give a rat's ass.

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #55 - Aug 5th, 2021 at 10:59pm

I'd doubt there's ever been a time from the beginning of human sentience that religion has not existed...

We're wired for it (and in Darwinian terms that counts for something).

Ultimately, we all must accede to the ubiquity of existential doubt... And accept that ultimately we all devise, adopt or acquire methods by which we come to terms with that ubiquity.

I'm suspicious of those who evangelise atheism... It reminds me of the reformed alcoholic who becomes obsessed with preaching about sobriety just to keep alive the memory of the 'consolations' of insobriety.

IP Logged

Ayn Marx
Gold Member

Australian Politics

South of Australia
Reply #56 - Aug 6th, 2021 at 1:36am

NorthOfNorth wrote on Aug 5th, 2021 at 10:59pm:
I'd doubt there's ever been a time from the beginning of human sentience that religion has not existed...

Ultimately, we all must accede to the ubiquity of existential doubt... And accept that ultimately we all devise, adopt or acquire methods by which we come to terms with that ubiquity.

I'm suspicious of those who evangelise atheism... It reminds me of the reformed alcoholic who becomes obsessed with preaching about sobriety just to keep alive the memory of the 'consolations' of insobriety.

I’ve always found biblical apologetics et al sloppy thinking posing as intellectualisation of an absurd topic but the above really takes the cake.
I have no need of any form of superstition in order to 'accede to the ubiquity of existential doubt’    Pot kettle black.

The Human Race is Insane

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #57 - Aug 6th, 2021 at 4:03am

Atheists are very quick to point out the stupidity of Christianity, in fact they seem to enjoy the ridicule, but they have to be maneuvered into a corner to do the same with Islam or Judaism.

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #58 - Aug 6th, 2021 at 7:21am

Ayn Marx wrote on Aug 6th, 2021 at 1:36am:
NorthOfNorth wrote on Aug 5th, 2021 at 10:59pm:

I’ve always found biblical apologetics et al sloppy thinking posing as intellectualisation of an absurd topic but the above really takes the cake.
I have no need of any form of superstition in order to 'accede to the ubiquity of existential doubt’    Pot kettle black.

Biblical thinking? So, you assume religion is restricted to Judeo-Christianity. And that would be because incidentally your culture is predicated on its tenets... And you assume that's the method of doubt dispelatiom I'm only referring to? Lazy thinking, much?

It's appears an anthropological fact that methods of comprehension of the 'numinous', the inexplicable, being attributed to cosmic super-humanoid entitles appear to have always existed (and probably since the dawn of human sentience) and the reason would be that these methods have in their time satisfied the need to eradicate doubt or 'forbid' doubt altogether... That's not an apology, nor even saying anything new.

If the instinct to dispel doubt has been evolved away (only since, say the Enlightenment only about 300 years ago), then why the need for, say, astrophysics?

Can you explain this sudden evolution?, Do you think it occurred some time around the mid 18th century?

Is there nothing you take on faith - not in a Judaic 'god' or any 'god' - but on anything? Or are you certain in the absolute?
« Last Edit: Aug 6th, 2021 at 7:27am by NorthOfNorth »  

IP Logged

Ayn Marx
Gold Member

Australian Politics

South of Australia
Reply #59 - Aug 6th, 2021 at 7:27am

issuevoter wrote on Aug 6th, 2021 at 4:03am:
Atheists are very quick to point out the stupidity of Christianity, in fact they seem to enjoy the ridicule, but they have to be manoeuvred into a corner to do the same with Islam or Judaism.

Ok, let’s start with Christianity. Which particular sect or branch are you referring to here? All of them or just some? As to ridicule, as an agnostic ridicule is the least of my approaches to superstition. Contempt and loathing for twisted belief systems and the monstrous neuroticism and suffering they’ve induced over the ages is closer to my view.
I’m also intrigued by your use of the term ‘they’ given atheism comes in a number of flavours.

The Human Race is Insane

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print