Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
described....as a once-in-a-lifetime experience (Read 850 times)
Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
described....as a once-in-a-lifetime experience
Jun 30th, 2020 at 1:40pm

'Washington described it as a once-in-a-lifetime experience'

"I’m sure I’m not the only one who’s gone through that kind of experience."

- Denzel Washington

Denzel Washington Recalls ‘Being Filled With The Holy Ghost’ During Church Service

By  Paul Bois
Jun 30th, 2020
https://www.dailywire.com/news/denzel-washington-recalls-being-filled-with-the-h...

If you want to know God, i would encourage you to read the holy bible.

If you seek Him [in a medium which is credited as being 'His book' and 'God's word'], maybe He will speak to you.

1 Chronicles 28:9
And thou, Solomon my son, know thou the God of thy father, and serve him with a perfect heart and with a willing mind: for the LORD searcheth all hearts, and understandeth all the imaginations of the thoughts: if thou seek him, he will be found of thee; but if thou forsake him, he will cast thee off for ever.

Psalms 119:1
Blessed are the undefiled in the way, who walk in the law of the LORD.
2  Blessed are they that keep his testimonies, and that seek him with the whole heart.
3  They also do no iniquity: they walk in his ways.

John 6:37
....him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out.

John 6:44
No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day.

"....And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead."
Luke 16:31

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Re: described....as a once-in-a-lifetime experience
Reply #1 - Jun 30th, 2020 at 2:17pm

Mad-jeeeeeck!!

IP Logged

The_Barnacle
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #2 - Jun 30th, 2020 at 4:14pm

i would be more impressed if a Hindu, Buddhist or Pagan was filled with the holy ghost

It seems very convenient that people have supernatural religious experiences that only relate to their own particular religion

The Right Wing only believe in free speech when they agree with what is being said.

IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Reply #3 - Jun 30th, 2020 at 6:59pm

@ Reply #1 and Reply #2,

Really, i'm happy for you to believe whatever you want to believe [or, not believe].

Believe what you will.

We all do.

That is what living in a liberal democracy [or republic]***, allows everyone to do.

Being a political 'space', where bigots DO NOT reign !
And where people are 'permitted' to peacefully express differing opinions

as per.....

Quote:

First Amendment to the United States Constitution

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Amendment_to_the_United_States_Constitution#...

"....And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead."
Luke 16:31

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #4 - Jun 30th, 2020 at 8:42pm

Falling backwards off North Head while taking a selfie?  Definitely one-off...

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #5 - Jun 30th, 2020 at 8:43pm

UnSubRocky wrote on Jun 30th, 2020 at 2:17pm:
Mad-jeeeeeck!!

Dat Voodoo, mah man - even da culchu'd Niggrah cain't avoid it!  S'in the blood, yo' dig?

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #6 - Jun 30th, 2020 at 8:56pm

I've been to a very charismatic church service. (the things you do to try and bang a hot as hell woman who is WAY out of your league)

There was a guest preacher from the USofA and this guy could work a room, and damn I felt something. He was touching people on the head and they were passing out from the force of JeBus flowing into them.

I rationalised it as the same crowd hysteria you feel at a footy match, rock concert etc.

IBI

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #7 - Jun 30th, 2020 at 10:12pm

Yadda,

I live in a largely Catholic town. My mother dragged me to an Anglican church until I was 17 years old. By the time I was 12, I was moderately agnostic. By the time I reached my 18th birthday, I was an atheist. Come my 25th year alive, I was very much anti-religion.

But this statement:

Quote:
That is what living in a liberal democracy [or republic]***, allows everyone to do.

Oh, man. That is seriously phucked up.

I happened to have been abused by religious people who wanted me to wholeheartedly believe in their invisible friend. One lady, who happened to have been a matriarch to a drug family in town, wanted me to convert to Catholicism. This was when I was at 8 years of age. I copped mind games from various church groups (as much as other people, I suppose) about the benefits of belonging to a church. The 1980s ended, and the 1990s started. I had basically enough of church and just went along to keep my mother happy.

I quit going to church, as I had a job that kept me up until 2am before I could get to bed. Happily, I could sleep through church on Sunday and be up for 10am to do my day. By 1997, I was copping hatred from some drug-dealing pimp psychopath who decided to solicit attacks against me for whatever deranged reason. One such reason was that he thought he could play the drug dealers against me and reap the rewards. That psychopath is dead now.

I have probably copped more religious nonsense from religious people than most people in the community. And I do not even participate in religious observances. The actual lunacy of religious people wanting to hold back society on grounds that people are offending their religion has to end. Otherwise, we are not "living in a liberal democracy [or republic]". Also probably not a good idea to bring up the United States Constitution as an argument. We are pretty much a secular society in Australia.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #8 - Jun 30th, 2020 at 11:24pm

Quote:
I have probably copped more religious nonsense from religious people than most people in the community. And I do not even participate in religious observances. The actual lunacy of religious people wanting to hold back society on grounds that people are offending their religion has to end. Otherwise, we are not "living in a liberal democracy [or republic]".

Not sure what you are trying to say her rocky. Do you think we should not have freedom of religion?

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #9 - Jun 30th, 2020 at 11:32pm

freediver wrote on Jun 30th, 2020 at 11:24pm:
Quote:
I have probably copped more religious nonsense from religious people than most people in the community. And I do not even participate in religious observances. The actual lunacy of religious people wanting to hold back society on grounds that people are offending their religion has to end. Otherwise, we are not "living in a liberal democracy [or republic]".

Not sure what you are trying to say her rocky. Do you think we should not have freedom of religion?

You can have freedom of religion. I can have freedom from religion.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #10 - Jun 30th, 2020 at 11:44pm

UnSubRocky wrote on Jun 30th, 2020 at 11:32pm:
Quote:

What is freedom from religion, beyond not being a child who gets dragged to church by their parents?

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #11 - Jul 1st, 2020 at 12:05am

I don't know if you have noticed, but you hardly get bombarded with religion outside of news articles and media. If I hear a hymn being sung, a prayer being told, or a sermon being preached, I simply turn the channel over.

I avoid religion like its the plague. Christmas and Easter are just presents and chocolate days. All other religious observances are just overlooked by myself and my family. If I had to give up all the things that religion had given me, then I would not be giving up anything. If Christians and other religions had to give up what science and civilisation has given them, then they lose out considerably.

Freedom from religion... It is a winning culture.

IP Logged

aquascoot
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - Jul 1st, 2020 at 5:25am

UnSubRocky wrote on Jun 30th, 2020 at 11:32pm:
Quote:

not entirely possible rocky.
we all have to have a GOD.
god is what you pursue when you "bounce out of bed in the morning".

we are aiming creatures, built on a hunting platform.
so we are going to pursue something

money
sex
status
our reputation as virtuous
our moral superiority
our intellect
our sport
our kids
our cat or our dog
pleasuring our stomachs
our muscles or our breast implants.

what ever you value the highest is your god and thats your religion.

what you WANT hopefully is a transcendant pursuit that can stand you in good stead through out your life.

so money or sex or your good looks probably wont cut it when you are 75 and the doctor tells you , you have pancreatic cancer.

the archetypal stories and hero mythology of the bible, the koran, the dhamra or the baghvista might be something that gives your life meaning in the future.

hence the idea of having a transcendant goal is valuable.

what is the archetypal story of jesus.

a man, who did nothing wrong, betrayed by everyone, suufered brutal pain but never broke down.

you cant push that story any further (hence it is a hero myth).

if you aspire to wlak in those footsteps , you will probably be better equipped to deal with lifes tragedies when they occur (which they will).

hence jesus for example is a good role model.
people would do well to try to follow that example.
it would beat trying to "pleasure yourself" which seems the default meaning for most people

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #13 - Jul 1st, 2020 at 6:47am

I don't mind holy establishments.
But you don't need Religion to be morally good or get the 'vibe'.
The Cronulla riots was 'Beach-Lovers' v Moslems. The 'Beach' is a very holy place to most Australians.

Catholic: Where the Priest gets the Money and the Mass of People breed like rabbits in poverty.

Protestant: Where the Priest has a number of wives and breeds big families, while the Mass of People wave their hands in the air for the Money and another 'Amway' Company.

Orthodox: Where the Priest gets the Family and the Funds, but not many people go to his church.

Pagan: The Priest gets no money or sex but thousands turn up to party at his Burning Man festivals.

Catholics are a 'One' Church organisation and more aligned with Art - hence very 'visual' Churches. They are introverted and the mystery is within.
Protestants are a Church of many like Mormonism, Jehovah Witness, Anglican, United and many more other 'Sect' offshoots. Very 'Political' and extroverted - hence their 'door knocking' approaching of coming to you.
Orthodox like dressing in black and have the best music.

Love this Protestant take by former Melbournian band TISM.
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=tism+-+lets+form+a+company&&view=detail&mid...
Let's, let's form a company, let's do it now
Let's form a company, let's do it immediately
Let's form a company, let's do it now
Let's form a company

[Verse 1]
You, you say "tomahto", I say "tomayto"
You say "Oscar Wilde" and I say "Rambo"
You, you say "art", I say "relevant"
You say "rock", I say "intelligent"

[Chorus]
Let's form a company

[Verse 2]
You, you say "books", I say "reality"
You say "jealous" then I say "originality"
You, you say "Sting", I say "humility"
You say "Bond", I say "university"

[Chorus]
Let's form a company

[Verse 3]
You, you say "Bono", I say "credible"
You say "McDonald's" and I say "edible"
You, you say "religion", I say "pacifism"
You say "quality", I say "TISM!"

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #14 - Jul 1st, 2020 at 3:33pm

It is very possible to have a religion-free life. Just avoid the religious institutions. Ignore the lunacy of religious instruction. And act in the here and now. Don't worry about the afterlife.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print