Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print
Domestic violence cases (Read 1572 times)
UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Domestic violence cases
Jun 29th, 2020 at 6:53pm

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-06-25/rockhampton-murder-husband-domestic-viole...

Quote:
Estranged husband charged with murder of Rockhampton woman Karen Gilliland

Quote:
Detectives have charged the estranged husband of Karen Gilliland with murder after she was allegedly stabbed at her home at Rockhampton in central Queensland.

Neighbours and emergency workers tried to save the 42-year-old on Tuesday night, but she died at the scene with wounds to her neck and stomach.

It was sad to listen in to the police radio and hear about facebook articles coming up in feeds to say that a woman had passed away due to a domestic violence situation. Children of the victim had witnessed the attack and had to flee to neighbours. Police and emergency services had to witness the horrific aftermath scenes and grief experienced by neighbours and the children who saw the attack and death.

https://www.impactforwomen.org.au/australias-death-toll-2020.html

Not to say that women and children are the only victims. Men are majority deaths of domestic violence cases. But at the hands of other men. Women are the victims of a male perpetrator. Children, as of June 22, 2020 this year have numbered 15 deaths.
« Last Edit: Jun 29th, 2020 at 6:59pm by UnSubRocky »  

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Domestic violence cases
Reply #1 - Jun 29th, 2020 at 7:14pm

there was a time  when we would say

not in front of the children..

now they murder each other in front of the children...

Angry Angry Angry

its unbelievable how low we have sunk as a society....

yes somehow our society is turning a blind eye to what is taking place..sure we notice and speak up AFTER the death...but its not stopping anything is it?...

what makes us tick has certainly changed....

there is no remorse in fact if they plead a certain way they get a reward of a lighter sentence.....

which they serve and then get on with the rest of their lives......all the while the victim is rotting in the grave  ten to one forgotten for the main part.... Angry Angry

we accept that..... he/she gets to walk around in society  as if nothing happened....incredible.. Embarrassed Embarrassed

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #2 - Jun 29th, 2020 at 7:35pm

There's a massive campaign been running for years now, cods - don't try to say nobody says or does anything until after... what do you expect?  Mind reading.. Minority Report style 'conviction' on the assumption someone may do something (already got that BS with DV and it is the cause of much trouble between men and women)..

How low we've become as a society is clearly shown in the reality that men are locked up without having committed any wrong.... do you ever wonder what that does to an individual?  It's the same as rape, cods... and it's no wonder some of them come looking for revenge...

Wouldn't you?

You cannot continue to use violence in a society as a means to resolve issues of violence - utterly stupid, and invites retaliation.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Valkie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Central Coast
Reply #3 - Jun 30th, 2020 at 6:05am

I have seen DV many times in the past.

Friends, family, acquaintances and neighbours.

From both male and female

But probably more from female on male than the other way around.

There is much talk about men, with their "toxic masculinity" being the only perpetrator on DV.

But DV isn't only physical.

I have seen women harass, hound, harp and insult men to the point of suicide.
All in the knowledge of what they do and the fact that should he respond, he knows he will end up in gaol.

I have seen women hit, assault and attack men with everything they have on hand, secure in the knowledge tgat should he protect himself, he will end up in gaol and be ostracized.

I have seen women deliberately play around openly, knowing that when her husband loses it, he will end up in court.

Women hold the high hand in DV.
They can prove abuse by the bruises, he can only say what she did and she will deny it.
Courts give women more than half of what he has earned and made.
But if she leaves him with the kids, he most often gets nothing.

Three men I knew committed suicide because of what women have done to them.
Several have dissapeard, so as to hide from them and the law.

On the other side of the coin, I have seen women abused as well.
From partners who have been drunk, depressed or just plain stupid.

But to focus all efforts on women is not only unfair.
It also creates and fans the flames of a problem ignored.
Women are just as culpable as men in DV.
Perhaps not physically, but just as damaging.

How many times have you heard a woman say " ill make his life a living hell "
Or, " ill take him for everything he has"
These are well known tacticts used by the female in broken relationships.

It's too easy these days.
It's too easy for people to just walk away from a marriage and then attack from afar.
No longer do people Truely believe in "for better or worse"

I have been married for 40 years.
We both still love each other.
There have been hard times, some close to breaking point.
But we worked our way through them, because we know, deep down, that we are soul mates.
We believe in our love and see what has happened to so many around us.

DV isn't a one way street.
DV isn't only and singularly always the male at fault.
DV will never get better until these truths have been recognised, acknowledged and acted upon.

I HAVE A DREAM
A WONDERFUL, PEACEFUL, BEAUTIFUL DREAM.
A DREAM OF A WORLD THAT HAS NEVER KNOWN ISLAM
A DREAM OF A WORLD FREE FROM THE HORRORS OF ISLAM.

SUCH A WONDERFUL DREAM
O HOW I WISH IT WERE TRU

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Jun 30th, 2020 at 6:20am

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Jun 29th, 2020 at 7:35pm:
There's a massive campaign been running for years now, cods - don't try to say nobody says or does anything until after... what do you expect?  Mind reading.. Minority Report style 'conviction' on the assumption someone may do something (already got that BS with DV and it is the cause of much trouble between men and women)..

How low we've become as a society is clearly shown in the reality that men are locked up without having committed any wrong.... do you ever wonder what that does to an individual?  It's the same as rape, cods... and it's no wonder some of them come looking for revenge...

Wouldn't you?

You cannot continue to use violence in a society as a means to resolve issues of violence - utterly stupid, and invites retaliation.

I dont even know what you are talking about...

I for one am looking for reasons/answers  I didnt know that was a crime....what massive campaign are you referring too it would help if you told me.

this thread is about violence  its about a killing done in front of their children..

arwe we meant to ignore that because it happened to be a man killing a mother??????and we dont want to hurt anyones feelings?????

I dont get what your problem is..

every time I say something on this topic  you come in and talk about things I havent mentioned....

where have I suggested we treat violence  with more violence?????

some people do get jailed in error....what has that got to do with this case????????????????

do we stop putting people in jail because we get it wrong sometimes and someone is jailed when they are not guilty??

is that what you think,we should do????

IP Logged

aquascoot
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Jun 30th, 2020 at 6:24am

Domestic violence is going to remain a problem as long as people have a basic taker mentality

the truth is that in a relationship especially one that produces children
it has to be about other people and not about you

Modern society with its emphasis on
Ever increasing rights
Self actualisation
Self-esteem
Self fulfilment
And living the dream

Encourages this sort of crybaby mentality when things don't go your way

For a husband he needs to accept but his life is going to be hard as f a a r k
And he has to love that it is hard
For a wife she needs to accept that her role is going to be selflessly looking after children
And nurturing her husband so that he has to strength to face up
To the brutal harsh reality of life

A successful partnership particularly in raising children requires people to move into the giving mentality not the taking mentality

but look at our modern society that we have constructed
There is nothing noble about it
It is all about protesting yelling screaming and demanding that government be your perpetual mother

Government doesn't have a pulse
Government doesn't have ten fingers and ten toes
When you scream at Scott Morrison to fix your problems
You're really screaming at your fellow man to fix your problems
You're really announcing to the world that you are a taker

And when a taker  is put under pressure
He lashes out
Women may lash out verbally
Men may lash out physically
Relationships are high pressure environments

You need to train yourself hard to be the sort of creature that can smile in the face of adversity

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Jun 30th, 2020 at 6:33am

Valkie wrote on Jun 30th, 2020 at 6:05am:
I have seen DV many times in the past.

Friends, family, acquaintances and neighbours.

From both male and female

But probably more from female on male than the other way around.

There is much talk about men, with their "toxic masculinity" being the only perpetrator on DV.

But DV isn't only physical.

I have seen women harass, hound, harp and insult men to the point of suicide.
All in the knowledge of what they do and the fact that should he respond, he knows he will end up in gaol.

I have seen women hit, assault and attack men with everything they have on hand, secure in the knowledge tgat should he protect himself, he will end up in gaol and be ostracized.

I have seen women deliberately play around openly, knowing that when her husband loses it, he will end up in court.

Women hold the high hand in DV.
They can prove abuse by the bruises, he can only say what she did and she will deny it.
Courts give women more than half of what he has earned and made.
But if she leaves him with the kids, he most often gets nothing.

Three men I knew committed suicide because of what women have done to them.
Several have dissapeard, so as to hide from them and the law.

On the other side of the coin, I have seen women abused as well.
From partners who have been drunk, depressed or just plain stupid.

But to focus all efforts on women is not only unfair.
It also creates and fans the flames of a problem ignored.
Women are just as culpable as men in DV.
Perhaps not physically, but just as damaging.

How many times have you heard a woman say " ill make his life a living hell "
Or, " ill take him for everything he has"
These are well known tacticts used by the female in broken relationships.

It's too easy these days.
It's too easy for people to just walk away from a marriage and then attack from afar.
No longer do people Truely believe in "for better or worse"

I have been married for 40 years.
We both still love each other.
There have been hard times, some close to breaking point.
But we worked our way through them, because we know, deep down, that we are soul mates.
We believe in our love and see what has happened to so many around us.

DV isn't a one way street.
DV isn't only and singularly always the male at fault.
DV will never get better until these truths have been recognised, acknowledged and acted upon.

my goodness you do know a lot of people who lead very sad lives.....thats sad......

I have only seen one dv my granddaughter whos partner smashed her windscreen with a cricket bat while she and their baby were in the car. she had enough sense then to get away he as far as I know never hit her.....

sorry but I have no idea who has ever suggested

dv is a one way street   and its only men that cause it...

maybe you can give us an instance....

in most threads on this topic  it starts off with one particular case....this thread is a case in point...

from there the accusations flow....

all relationships take time to get to a certain level   even the bad dv ones....

you are talking about the reasons behind some behavior..nagging complaining spiteful women..

do you claim thats the reason most women get killed????....

and btw you didnt say what your solutions to these problems are..

I have suggested anyone served with a DVO   should go to some kind of anger management course...or relationship courses....that was poohood...so what do you suggest?....or grap for that matter....

after all if you are correct and there are many violent aggressive women out there...... there are going to be more deaths...in the mean time the children are falling through the cracks.

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Jun 30th, 2020 at 6:36am

Cods, with respect, you're never going to get a productive debate on family violence on this forum. I've tried and tried and tried.

It's just overflowing with hyper-defensive misogynists.

Sadder still i feel, the few good men rarely speak up.

If you can't be a good example, you have to be a horrible warning.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #8 - Jun 30th, 2020 at 6:40am

mothra wrote on Jun 30th, 2020 at 6:36am:
Cods, with respect, you're never going to get a productive debate on family violence on this forum. I've tried and tried and tried.

I always speak up and with the answer:

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Jun 30th, 2020 at 6:53am

yes I get that   out they come with their usual  BUT WOMEN....kinda ask for it... Sad

no reasonable chat sadly!

and I believe talking about this is the best thing we can do.....we are not in a position to change anything.  I have no clout thats for sure..but how can we sit back and read where children are now watching one parent kill the other  in front of them...
and say nothing because we might offend someone who seems to think we are men haters...INCREDIBLE..

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - Jun 30th, 2020 at 6:56am

Bobby. wrote on Jun 30th, 2020 at 6:40am:

stop being ridiculous bobby......

I have never witnessed anyone being beaten up...NEVER    so I can only guess what the effect watching one parent kill the other.........can do to a child....

just knowing thats what happened is bad enough but to see it happen is beyond comprehension to me.

and if that isnt worth talking about I dont know what is.. Angry Angry..please dont be flippant about this bobs.

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - Jun 30th, 2020 at 7:04am

cods wrote on Jun 30th, 2020 at 6:53am:

yes I get that   out they come with their usual  BUT WOMEN....kinda ask for it... Sad

and I believe talking about this is the best thing we can do.....we are not in a position to change anything.  I have no clout thats for sure..but how can we sit back and read where children are now watching one parent kill the other  in front of them...
and say nothing because we might offend someone who seems to think we are men haters...INCREDIBLE..

I know. It's really frustrating. I've torn my hair out here trying hopelessly for fair-minded discussion.

It will not happen.
This is not the forum.

Grappler is obsessed. By his own admission he was handed a AVO years back from a partner he doesn't think he deserved. Legal actions were taken againslt him he doesn't think he deserved. He's championed the rights of men ever since.

You will not get reasoned debate form him. Everything he comments on on the subject is underlined with his fury at what he sees as persecution.

It's really sad.

If you can't be a good example, you have to be a horrible warning.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - Jun 30th, 2020 at 7:09am

mothra wrote on Jun 30th, 2020 at 7:04am:
cods wrote on Jun 30th, 2020 at 6:53am:

I know. It's really frustrating. I've torn my hair out here trying hopelessly for fair-minded discussion.

It will not happen.
This is not the forum.

Grappler is obsessed. By his own admission he was handed a AVO years back from a partner he doesn't think he deserved. Legal actions were taken againslt him he doesn't think he deserved. He's championed the rights of men ever since.

You will not get reasoned debate form him. Everything he comments on on the subject is underlined with his fury at what he sees as persecution.

It's really sad.

doesnt mean  " sensible" people like you and I and maybe other women who do not need to be "right" all the time......to discuss such a serious problem in a lets find some solutions here...type of way..

to me its getting worse by the day... and thats the ones we hear about... what about all those silent cases. Sad

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #13 - Jun 30th, 2020 at 7:10am

cods wrote on Jun 30th, 2020 at 6:56am:

I have never witnessed anyone being beaten up...NEVER    so I can only guess what the effect watching one parent kill the other.........can do to a child....

just knowing thats what happened is bad enough but to see it happen is beyond comprehension to me.

and if that isnt worth talking about I dont know what is.. Angry Angry..please dont be flippant about this bobs.

I'm not being flippant -
murderers need to be hanged.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #14 - Jun 30th, 2020 at 7:14am

Bobby. wrote on Jun 30th, 2020 at 7:10am:
cods wrote on Jun 30th, 2020 at 6:56am:

I'm not being flippant -
murderers need to be hanged.

well as we do not have the death penalty in this country   AND NO WE NEVER WILL.....then yes it is flippant....do you have children bobs?....

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print