Send Topic Print
Scamwatch (Read 42030 times)
Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Scamwatch
Reply #60 - Jun 12th, 2021 at 11:06am

From ACCC Scamwatch - 10/6/2021

I'm posting the full email this time, usually I only post about half, which is all that's necessary most of the time for these ACCC warnings. However, this one should be of particular interest to the left-wing globalist progressive posters here on Ozpol. It's about culturally and linguistically diverse (CALD), people with disability, and Indigenous Australians. Chinese Mandarin speakers are targeted as well. Of course, all of us should be concerned about the millions being lost to scammers

CALD community lose $22 million to scams in 2020, reports from Indigenous Australians up by 25 per cent

Last year scammers stole close to $34 million collectively from people who identified as culturally and linguistically diverse (CALD), people with disability, and Indigenous Australians.

Figures from the ACCC’s latest Targeting Scams report released earlier this week shows losses to the CALD community represented a 60 per cent increase compared to 2019, across 11,700 reports.

“Last year we saw a big increase in losses to scams affecting culturally and linguistically diverse communities,” ACCC Deputy Chair Delia Rickard said.

“Some members of CALD communities suffered higher losses on average than the overall community, accounting for one in every eight dollars lost.”

“Unfortunately, scheming scammers try to target people who by virtue of their background, disadvantage, language skills or disability may experience vulnerability, and be more likely to fall for their tricks,” Ms Rickard said.

Investment scams were responsible for $6.3 million in losses, the most costly type of scam for the CALD community.

This was followed by threat based scams, and people from CALD communities lost $6 million to these scams up 248 per cent from 2019.

The Chinese authority scam is a common threat based scam which cost people from the CALD community $4.3 million last year.

These scammers impersonate Chinese authorities and accuse their victims of committing a crime, such as sending a parcel with illegal goods like fake credit cards, and threaten them with deportation or arrest unless they paid money or provided their personal information.

“We received over 2,000 reports about Chinese authority scams in total last year with $7 million lost, and almost a quarter of these were from people with a CALD background,” Ms Rickard said.

“This shows that these scams continued to disproportionately target Mandarin speakers in Australia.”

Other threat based scams involved scammers impersonating Australian government departments such as the Australian Tax Office saying you will be arrested for unpaid tax and the Department of Home Affairs threatening to arrest you and have you deported.

Our Lives Are Governed By The Feast & Famine Variable

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #61 - Jun 12th, 2021 at 11:06am

Continued ....

“Australian governments will never threaten you with immediate arrest. Always stop and think about who you might be dealing with, and if you’re not sure whether the call is legitimate, hang up and call the organisation directly using contact details you independently source,” Ms Rickard said.

Scams also impacted Indigenous Australians in 2020. Last year Scamwatch received 3,455 reports with over $2 million in losses from Indigenous Australians. While the losses were 4 per cent lower than those in 2019, the reports increased by nearly 25 per cent.

The most financially damaging scams for Indigenous communities were dating and romance scams, followed by investment scams and online shopping scams.

People who identified as having disability made more than 7,500 reports to Scamwatch, and lost close to $10 million to scams last year. Dating and romance scams accounted for about half of these losses.

More than one third of reporters also said they had lost personal information. Meanwhile, 25 per cent of people without disability reported losing personal information.

“Unfortunately scammers do target all sectors of the community so it is important to stay alert,” Ms Rickard said.

“Remember, never give your credit card details or personal information to anyone who contacts you out of the blue no matter who they say they are, as scammers can do an excellent job impersonating the government and private sector organisations like banks and telephone companies."

"If you think you have provided your account details to a scammer, contact your bank or financial institution immediately,” Ms Rickard said.

The ACCC has translated the Little Black Book of Scams into ten languages to help the community understand and avoid scams.

The ACCC regularly engages in Indigenous outreach programs and shares scam warnings on the Your Rights Mob Facebook page.

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #62 - Jun 12th, 2021 at 11:43am

I received three phone calls the day before yesterday, and one yesterday

They were about an Ebay purchase costing "X" amount of dollars. Aussie female voice, not the usual Indian voice

I hung up. I know exactly what I've purchased on Ebay and the costs. The cost she said didn't match anything I've purchased lately. I would have hung up anyway, I've never received phone calls about Ebay items before this, in the 15 years I've been on Ebay ... and the young lady failed to introduce herself nor did she say who she was working for at the beginning of her "automated" sounding spiel

She started off with: "Hi, you have just purchased an item on Ebay worth (so many dollars) .... that's where I hung up   

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #63 - Jun 12th, 2021 at 12:02pm

I got an international call from Myanmar. That is what the caller ID stated. Declined the call. A few minutes later, I got a call from a Melbourne number. Another time, I got a call from that Amazon scam callers. Weird that I have not purchased from Amazon or have an account with Amazon for the last several years.

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #64 - Aug 24th, 2021 at 2:23pm

ACCC Scamwatch - 24/8/21

Australians lose over $70 million to bogus investment opportunities

Dear radar subscriber,

Investment scams reported to Scamwatch have cost Australians over $70 million in the first half of this year, more than the total losses reported to Scamwatch for all of 2020, and projected losses are set to reach $140 million by the end of the year.

Data from Scamwatch shows a 53.4 per cent increase in reports about investment scams received so far, up from 3,104 in the first half of 2020 to 4,763 reports so far in 2021.

In addition to taking victims’ money, scammers often commit fraud or identity theft using the information they obtained from the victim.
Cryptocurrency trading scams

“Investment scams are more prevalent than ever, and scammers are capitalising on interest in cryptocurrency in particular,” ACCC Deputy Chair Delia Rickard said.

“More than half of the $70 million in losses were to cryptocurrency, especially through Bitcoin, and cryptocurrency scams were also the most commonly reported type of investment scam, with 2,240 reports.”

Scammers pretend to have highly profitable trading systems based on individual expertise or through algorithms they developed. Many of these scams also use fake celebrity endorsements to try and enhance their legitimacy.

Victims will initially be able to access small returns sourced from other victims’ initial deposits but the scammers soon claim problems with making withdrawals and cut off contact.

“Be wary of investment opportunities with low risk and high returns. If something sounds too good to be true, it probably is,” Ms Rickard said.

Losses to investment scams involving Bitcoin have already reached $25.7 million this year, compared to $17.8 million across all of 2020, representing a 44 per cent increase.

Losses to other types of investment scams, including imposter bond scams, Ponzi scams, and romance baiting scams are also increasing, while traditional investment scams are also still very common.

The unwary and their money are soon parted

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #65 - Aug 24th, 2021 at 2:34pm

Continued ....

Snippets from the rest of the email

Imposter bond scams

In imposter bond scams, scammers impersonate legitimate companies and offer victims the opportunity to purchase fake corporate bonds.

In the first half of this year, there were over 58 reports and losses of more than $6.8 million reported to Scamwatch.

Older Australians looking for well-known respected companies to invest their money in have been the most impacted, making up 43 per cent of reports and accounting for almost half of the losses.

Ponzi schemes

Ponzi schemes have also increased. In the first six months of this year, Scamwatch received over 400 reports and more than $1 million in losses to the Hope Business and Wonderful World scams.

The ACCC contacted the Google & Apple apps stores & had the Hope business app removed. The main Wonderful World scam app has also been removed from the stores.

These scams disproportionately affected members of CALD communities including recent migrants from Burma and Sri Lanka.

Overall, more than 13 per cent of losses ($9.6 million) to investment scams were from people who spoke English as a second language.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #66 - Sep 2nd, 2021 at 8:32pm

UnSubRocky wrote on Jun 12th, 2021 at 12:02pm:
I got an international call from Myanmar. That is what the caller ID stated. Declined the call. A few minutes later, I got a call from a Melbourne number. Another time, I got a call from that Amazon scam callers. Weird that I have not purchased from Amazon or have an account with Amazon for the last several years.

Same thing. This time Guam.

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #67 - Sep 30th, 2021 at 11:12pm

ACCC Scamwatch  -  27/9/2021

Losses reported to Scamwatch exceed $211 million, phone scams exploding

Dear radar subscriber,

Scamwatch is urging people to be extra vigilant about scams after Australians reported a record $211 million in losses to scams so far this year, an 89 per cent increase compared to the same period last year, according to new data from Scamwatch.

The losses, reported between 1 January and 19 September, have already surpassed the $175.6 million reported to Scamwatch across all of last year.

“It’s very concerning to see these scams evolving and becoming more sophisticated to steal even more money from unsuspecting people,” ACCC Deputy Chair Delia Rickard said.

“While the proportion of reports involving a financial loss has dropped this year, the people who do lose money are losing bigger amounts. The average loss so far this year is about $11,000 compared to $7,000 for the same period in 2020.”

Many of these losses are from phone based scams, which accounted for over $63.6 million (31 per cent) of the losses. Additionally, of the 213,000 reports that Scamwatch received so far this year, 113,000 were about phone scams.

Scammers call or text people and claim to be from well-known businesses or government to steal people’s personal information.

“Scammers are pretending to be from companies such as Amazon or eBay and claiming large purchases have been made on the victim’s credit card. When they pretend to help you process a refund, they actually gain remote access to your computer and steal your personal and banking details,” Ms Rickard said.

“In August, the new Flubot malware scams masquerading as fake voicemail and parcel delivery scams exploded, which have resulted in more than 13,000 reports in just eight weeks.

“These scams are particularly concerning in our current climate, as many people are turning to online shopping because of the COVID-19 lockdowns,” Ms Rickard said.

IP Logged

Jovial Monk
Gold Member

Dogs not cats!

Reply #68 - Oct 3rd, 2021 at 9:35am

I had some scammer sending text messages about an expensive gift I had bought. There was a problem, just click on this nice link and the problem will be fixed. Quite persistent little scammer too, I even got a “Your gift is being returned to the warehouse” text with yet another link to be clicked.

I had not bought anything when I started getting those texts so easy to just delete the texts but with more people buying more online I am sure the scam will be lucrative for the damn scammer.

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

If you don’t like abortions ignore them like you do school shootings.

IP Logged

Jovial Monk
Gold Member

Dogs not cats!

Reply #69 - Oct 4th, 2021 at 2:14pm

Just got a phone call “My Amazon Prime membership is being renewed and your bank account will have $99 deducted. Of course the obligatory “If you want to cancel your Prime membership press 1 now.” Yeah sure.

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #70 - Oct 4th, 2021 at 2:16pm

latest scam doing the rounds is some demented unemployed  fat greek woman living in a housing commission flat pretending she's a millionaire property guru with a new kid born every two years Cheesy Cheesy

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

Jovial Monk
Gold Member

Dogs not cats!

Reply #71 - Oct 4th, 2021 at 8:38pm

Whoever could you be talking about?   Grin

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #72 - Nov 23rd, 2021 at 12:02am

ACCC Scamwatch  -  22/11/2021

Watch out for fake online deals and avoid scammers this sales season

Dear radar subscriber,

Australians have already lost about $12.9 million to online shopping including classifieds scams so far this year, and the ACCC is urging consumers to watch out for dodgy deals as pre-holiday sales approach.

Scamwatch has received over 26,000 reports of online shopping scams, more than the total reported through all of 2020. This is consistent with global trends from 2020 as more people shop online during the pandemic.

“This is a very busy time of year, and scammers often try to take advantage of unsuspecting shoppers rushing to organise gifts,” ACCC Deputy Chair Delia Rickard said.

“People are often searching for the best deals online, especially in the Black Friday and Cyber Monday sales, so it’s easy to be caught off guard and fall for a scam.”

In an online shopping scam, scammers create realistic looking fake online stores selling items at heavily discounted prices, however the items are fake, or never delivered to buyers.

Scammers have also created fake stores on social media platforms or post fake ads on legitimate classifieds websites. They may request payment or offer discounts for payments made through direct bank transfers or cryptocurrency.

“Before you buy, it’s important to be aware of the possibility of scams. While some scammers try to make online stores look legitimate by requesting payment via PayPal or credit card, always double check that the real PayPal platform is being used. Be suspicious of too good to be true offers and any sellers that ask you to pay by bank transfer, gift cards or cryptocurrency,” Ms Rickard said.

“Research the seller and make sure you know who you are buying from. Search online for the product or company name, plus “complaint” or “scam” to see what other people are saying. If you are buying from a social networking site, check the seller’s history and read reviews from other people who have dealt with them.”

“When you’re paying, avoid arrangements that ask for up-front payment via bank transfer, or payment through digital currency, like Bitcoin. Always try to use a secure payment service such as PayPal or credit card transaction,” Ms Rickard said.

If you’re waiting for your parcel, remember that scammers also take advantage of people expecting deliveries.

“Australia Post and other parcel delivery companies will never email, call or text you asking for personal or financial information or a payment. Many delivery companies have apps where you can track your parcels rather than clicking on links in messages or emails,” Ms Rickard said.

Losses to online shopping scams are spread across most age groups, but people aged 25-34 lost the most money, at $2.4 million.

I got a fake PayPay one four days ago making out I won a $500 PayPay gift card

IP Logged

The Heartless Felon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #73 - Nov 30th, 2021 at 12:16pm

United Nations Assistant Secretary-General   for Development Coordination, In Affiliation with World Bank.   

Dear Beneficiary,

We have previously sent you emails in respect of your outstanding compensation payment which has since been assigned to you. We were going through your payment portfolio and came to a logical conclusion that you are yet to receive your 2021 Covid-19 compensation payment. 

We must get you informed that your email was listed among those that are yet to receive their compensation payment. The United Nations in Affiliation with the World Bank have agreed to compensate each with the sum of USD1,500, 000.00 (One Million Five Hundred Thousand United States Dollars) only.

For this reason, you are to receive your payment through a certified ATM CARD PAYMENT. Note, with this ATM Card you can withdraw money and also make payment anywhere in the World without any problem and please for no reason should you disclose your account information as your account information is not and can never be needed before you receive your card payment.

Contact Name: Dr. Marius Rademeyer
Email: drmariusrademeyer2021@webmail.co.za

Please ensure that you follow the directives and instructions of Dr. Marius Rademeyer so that within 24-72 hours you would have received your card payment and your secret pin code issued directly to you for security reasons. We apologize on behalf of the United Nations Development Coordination for any delay you might have encountered in the past.

Yours Faithfully,

Assistant Secretary General-General- Volker Turk
United Nations for Strategic Coordination

Woohoo!! Santa came early this year...

IP Logged

Jovial Monk
Gold Member

Dogs not cats!

Reply #74 - Jan 15th, 2022 at 8:17am

I have had two anonymous texts on my iPhone that I was “featured in a video” with the link provided. Of course—I did not click on the link.

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 15
Send Topic Print