Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
ALP beyond 2020 (Read 9099 times)
Jasin
Gold Member

ALP beyond 2020
Jun 3rd, 2020 at 7:10pm

I bet the ALP don't want to win the next Election and inherit the ruin of all that has recently occurred since late 2019.

Do Politicians get a pay rise if they are the Party in power?

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Bertie
Gold Member

Re: ALP beyond 2020
Reply #1 - Oct 21st, 2020 at 5:33pm

Labor MP Husic speaks of leadership ambitions

Labor MP Ed Husic says his Islamic faith would have to be “overcome” if his colleagues were to consider him a future party leader as he vents his frustration about being on the backbench.

Mr Husic, who voluntarily vacated a frontbench position for Kristina Keneally after the 2019 election, said he would be the “darkest of dark horses” in the next contest for Labor leader.

When asked if it would interest him, Mr Husic said it would be a “profound honour” to lead the party.

“But to be blunt with you I would have a few factors I would have to overcome to even be considered for leadership,” Mr Husic told Sky News.

“To be honest, if I could be as blunt as I can to you, being someone of my faith, of the Muslim faith and Australia thinking you might have somewhat of a leadership position for the Islamic faith in that type of role is something a lot of people would need some time to think about.

“I think Australia has evolved and I think the 21st century has opened up a lot of opportunities to people. There would be some people who just wouldn’t consider it. There would be others who would genuinely want to see how it would work.

“I wouldn’t rule out that people could see that happening but in my case it would have to be something people talked long about before it was even considered. That is just the reality.”

Mr Husic said criticisms of Anthony Albanese’s leadership were a “tough call” because “pandemics have changed the focus and politics just gravitates towards the government”.

Mr Husic said being on the backbench was frustrating and he hoped it was only short term. He said if a frontbench vacancy opened up in the NSW Right he would “love to have the chance to be considered.”
https://www.theaustralian.com.au/nation/coronavirus-australia-live-news-ready-to...

He's a Bosnian Muslim, pally with Josh Frydenberg, a Hungarian Jew.  The British Empire is replace by the Austro-Hungarian Empire down-under...

« Last Edit: Oct 21st, 2020 at 5:41pm by Bertie »  

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #2 - Oct 21st, 2020 at 7:02pm

It could always be worse ?

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #3 - Aug 19th, 2021 at 2:32am

Shorten could not get the ALP into power with his awkwardness.

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Oct 12th, 2021 at 9:09am

A veteran federal Labor MP has admitted branch stacking, hiring ghost staff and being aware of rigged party ballots during an anti-corruption hearing that has ­left Anthony Albanese facing a political scandal and triggered a fourth state ministerial resignation in Victoria.

Labor’s Anthony Byrne has laid bare what he alleges is the ­decades-long factional rorting of preselections and internal party ballots in Victoria, forcing his former colleague, state Child Protection Minister Luke Donnellan, to quit the cabinet.

Mr Byrne, the 22-year member for Holt and deputy chair of the powerful parliamentary committee on intelligence and security, may be forced out of Labor after admitting systemic breaking of party rules.

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/nation/politics/ibac-inside-a-labor-corruption-scandal/news-story/facf23db11dbd75b4b04cdedf324b456

Anthony Byrne’s evidence is everything Anthony Albanese didn’t want to hear.

Byrne is now a self-described branch stacker knee-deep in a long-running anti-corruption investigation just months out from an election. Although Byrne has styled himself as a whistleblower, he faces deep uncertainty while Victoria’s IBAC investigates and then reports on the scandal.

The hearings affect the federal Opposition Leader in two ways.

First, it muddies the waters on the debate over a federal anti-corruption body; second, it exposes Albanese to a long-running internal sore in Victoria.
https://www.theaustralian.com.au/nation/politics/ibac-labor-mp-anthony-byrne-sparks-crisis-for-anthony-albanese/news-story/07c2a99157fadc10a8a8186e4c038959

Estragon: I can’t go on like this.
Vladimir: That’s what you think.

IP Logged

Ayn Marx
Gold Member

Australian Politics

South of Australia
Reply #5 - Oct 12th, 2021 at 9:44am

Frank wrote on Oct 12th, 2021 at 9:09am:
Anthony Byrne’s evidence is everything Anthony Albanese didn’t want to hear.

That’s a long list. I’ve lost track of the byzantine internal faction fights in the ALP so still find myself puzzling how the hell did they choose Albanese to lead the party? Is the party so blinded by it’s arcane internal politics it can’t see it’s committing suicide ?
Where’s Penny Wong when you need her?
I’m voting Green again even though I know many Green party members are borderline nut cases.

The Human Race is Insane

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print