Gold Member

Australian Politics

A recession is coming
Jun 3rd, 2020 at 3:22pm

Australia in its first recession in 29 years as March quarter GDP shrinks
Quote:
Key points:
* Australia's GDP, or economic output, fell 0.3% over the March quarter
* With a big fall in GDP certain in the current June quarter that will mark Australia's first technical recession in 29 years
* A rise in net exports and grocery spending could not offset the large falls in spending on travel and other services

You are not entitled to your opinion. You are only entitled to hold opinions that you can defend through sound, reasoned argument.

IP Logged

Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: A recession is coming
Reply #1 - Jun 3rd, 2020 at 3:29pm

They have been growing the economy on a pile of debt. They did not save for a rainy day and just wanted to walk the easy road of cheap credit Sad

In August 2021, Newcastle Coroner Karen Dilks recorded that Lisa Shaw had died “due to complications of an AstraZeneca COVID vaccination”.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #2 - Jun 3rd, 2020 at 3:31pm

There will probably be an asterix next to Australia's figures for economic growth. Australia will continue being seen as not registered as having a recession due to the coronavirus influence. If we register economic growth in the September quarter, we may as well consider June as not relevant as a recession.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Jun 3rd, 2020 at 3:48pm

we were on track to a recession before Covid.

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

The_Barnacle
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #4 - Jun 3rd, 2020 at 5:05pm

The March quarter was barely influenced by Covid. It's all Scotty@Marketing.

The Right Wing only believe in free speech when they agree with what is being said.

IP Logged

Bam
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Jun 3rd, 2020 at 5:11pm

UnSubRocky wrote on Jun 3rd, 2020 at 3:31pm:
There will probably be an asterix next to Australia's figures for economic growth. Australia will continue being seen as not registered as having a recession due to the coronavirus influence. If we register economic growth in the September quarter, we may as well consider June as not relevant as a recession.

A recession is a recession and every recession has a cause. No special pleading has ever been accepted.

You are not entitled to your opinion. You are only entitled to hold opinions that you can defend through sound, reasoned argument.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #6 - Jun 3rd, 2020 at 6:04pm

Some recessions have largely macroeconomic causes, which is a significant distinction to make.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #7 - Jun 3rd, 2020 at 6:50pm

It's here - officially now...

And the world moves one step closer to global conflict......

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Bam
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Jun 3rd, 2020 at 7:05pm

IP Logged

Baronvonrort
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Jun 3rd, 2020 at 7:09pm

What did you think would happen when we shut down the country doubled the dole and told people to stay at home because of the CCP virus?

If we stayed open the lefties would be having a whinge about pandemic getting out of control.

Leftists and the Ayatollahs have a lot in common when it comes to criticism of Islam, they don't tolerate it.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #10 - Jun 3rd, 2020 at 9:41pm

Bam wrote on Jun 3rd, 2020 at 5:11pm:
UnSubRocky wrote on Jun 3rd, 2020 at 3:31pm:

A recession is a recession and every recession has a cause. No special pleading has ever been accepted.

Yeah, I mean that people will use covid19 as an excuse to say that this recession should not count as a recession. Not that it really matters, when almost all the top 20 economies in the world are also going through a recession, too.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #11 - Jun 3rd, 2020 at 9:45pm

Baronvonrort wrote on Jun 3rd, 2020 at 7:09pm:
What did you think would happen when we shut down the country doubled the dole and told people to stay at home because of the CCP virus?

If we stayed open the lefties would be having a whinge about pandemic getting out of control.

Elderly people would have complained about young people spreading the virus left right and centre, making sure that old people had to stay at home.

I find it weird that I can interact with my customers and be within 2 metres of them without any real concerns by either party. But I cannot go to a restaurant or the cinema because I might catch coodees from a neighbouring patron?

IP Logged

Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - Jun 7th, 2020 at 10:23am

Baronvonrort wrote on Jun 3rd, 2020 at 7:09pm:

Isn't that what they did when they decided to close down manufacturing years ago ?? Cheesy LOL

In August 2021, Newcastle Coroner Karen Dilks recorded that Lisa Shaw had died “due to complications of an AstraZeneca COVID vaccination”.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #13 - Jun 7th, 2020 at 10:53am

Australia's Economy is going to be a Steven Bradbury to most other Economies.
We might be in a Recession. But we are in one with a population of healthy people.
Other nations will fall into Recession and then Depression because their population as a whole is pretty sick. Ever see a sick person with Corona go off to work every morning?
No.

The Political and Military orientated Nations will be hardest hit. That means Australia too... possibly?

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Bam
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #14 - Jun 8th, 2020 at 9:47am

The rightards don't like a discussion about the recession because they know that the label "Morrison's recession" is going to stick.

Every recession that Australia has had in living memory have had two things in common: (1) global factors as a cause, and (2) the government of the day getting blamed for it regardless.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print