Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6
Send Topic Print
4/6 model for Federal Parliament (Read 2354 times)
Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

4/6 model for Federal Parliament
May 31st, 2020 at 12:36pm

In order to strengthen federalism in Australia, I propose a 4/6 model for the Federal Parliament.

This means:

- 4 years for the House of Representatives

- 6 years for the Senate.

Now, the Senate will consist of 40 senators (instead of the current 76). Each State will elect 6 senators (territories 2). Rather than electing one-half of the Senate every time we choose the House of Representatives, one-third of the States choose their senators every 2, 4 and 6 years.

E.g.

First group of senators (NSW and WA) retire after 2 years (and then 6 years thereafter);
Second ground (QLD and VIC) retire after 4 years (and then 6 thereafter);
Third ground (SA and TAS, NT and ACT) retire after 6 years (and then 6 years thereafter);

The benefit of choosing the Senate and House of Representatives at different times is that it will make federal politicians give more focus on issues relating to the specific States during that election cycle. At the moment, Senate elections are always overshadowed by House of Reps elections, and so this doesn't give voters the opportunity to focus their attention of their own State.

Of course, the 4 year term will put House of Reps elections in line with State lower Houses, all of which are now 4 years. Considering that the federal government has expanded its responsibilities since federation, it makes sense to give them more time.

The Progressive President

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: 4/6 model for Federal Parliament
Reply #1 - May 31st, 2020 at 12:46pm

no

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

Captain Nemo
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #2 - May 31st, 2020 at 12:49pm

Auggie wrote on May 31st, 2020 at 12:36pm:
In order to strengthen federalism in Australia, I propose a 4/6 model for the Federal Parliament.

This means:

Now, the Senate will consist of 40 senators (instead of the current 76). Each State will elect 6 senators (territories 2). Rather than electing one-half of the Senate every time we choose the House of Representatives, one-third of the States choose their senators every 2, 4 and 6 years.

E.g.

First group of senators (NSW and WA) retire after 2 years (and then 6 years thereafter);
Third ground (SA and TAS, NT and ACT) retire after 6 years (and then 6 years thereafter);

The benefit of choosing the Senate and House of Representatives at different times is that it will make federal politicians give more focus on issues relating to the specific States during that election cycle. At the moment, Senate elections are always overshadowed by House of Reps elections, and so this doesn't give voters the opportunity to focus their attention of their own State.

Of course, the 4 year term will put House of Reps elections in line with State lower Houses, all of which are now 4 years. Considering that the federal government has expanded its responsibilities since federation, it makes sense to give them more time.

I like the idea of a 4 year term, but I would prefer the model as seen in Victoria, where the Upper House and Lower House are both elected on the same day.

No more "unrepresentative swill" in the Upper House.

You get what you voted for.

True, you might end up with 4 years of things happening that you don't like ... but you get the chance to turf them after that 4 years.

The 2025 election could be a shocker.
IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #3 - May 31st, 2020 at 12:56pm

John Smith wrote on May 31st, 2020 at 12:46pm:
no

According to the UN Human Development Index (inequality-adjusted report), 9 countries rank higher than Australia.

1       Norway      0.889      0.954      6.8      Increase 0.010
2       Iceland      0.885      0.938      5.7      Increase 0.052
3       Japan      0.882      0.915      3.6      Increase 0.094[a]
4        Switzerland      0.881      0.946      6.8      Increase 0.015
5       Finland      0.876      0.925      5.3      Increase 0.040
6       Sweden      0.874      0.937      6.7      Increase 0.031
7       Denmark      0.873      0.930      6.1      Increase 0.021
8       Ireland      0.872      0.942      8.2      Increase 0.063
9       Netherlands      0.870      0.933      6.8      Increase 0.033
10       Australia      0.862      0.938      8.1      Increase 0.010

All of those countries have 4 year terms in their Parliaments, except for Ireland which has a 5 year term.

IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #4 - May 31st, 2020 at 12:57pm

Captain Nemo wrote on May 31st, 2020 at 12:49pm:
Auggie wrote on May 31st, 2020 at 12:36pm:

This means:

E.g.

I like the idea of a 4 year term, but I would prefer the model as seen in Victoria, where the Upper House and Lower House are both elected on the same day.

No more "unrepresentative swill" in the Upper House.

You get what you voted for.

True, you might end up with 4 years of things happening that you don't like ... but you get the chance to turf them after that 4 years.

The idea of having staggered terms is that it puts the focus on individual States with respect to federal issues. Electing both the House and Senate at the same time would defeat this purpose.

IP Logged

Captain Nemo
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #5 - May 31st, 2020 at 12:59pm

But, the State can get things done in that 4 year term - without being blocked in the Upper House all the time.

The "House of review" often turns out to be the "House of blocking and making special deals".   Sad

The 2025 election could be a shocker.
IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - May 31st, 2020 at 1:06pm

Auggie wrote on May 31st, 2020 at 12:56pm:
no

According to the UN Human Development Index (inequality-adjusted report), 9 countries rank higher than Australia.

All of those countries have 4 year terms in their Parliaments, except for Ireland which has a 5 year term.

I don't care. The pigs are at the trough for to long as it is. Increasing their term in office just means they have an extra year to not give a poo what the people they're supposed to represent, think.

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

Valkie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Central Coast
Reply #7 - May 31st, 2020 at 1:16pm

I have a better suggestion.

Hang the lot of them

Confiscate all their properties and wealth as proceeds of crime.

Employ some competent people, on a contract, to make Australia better.

Halve the public service, make any who stay justify their roles
Easy for police, nurses, firemen etc, bloody impossible for fat cats.

Gaol all multinationals until they pay the taxes they should have paid for years.

Export all druggos to Antarctica, where there is plenty of ice.

Cut the dole off for anyone who has been on it for more than 2 years.

Eliminate abbo benifits, one dole for all, one system for all.

BINGO......a better AUSTRALIA.

I HAVE A DREAM
A WONDERFUL, PEACEFUL, BEAUTIFUL DREAM.
A DREAM OF A WORLD THAT HAS NEVER KNOWN ISLAM
A DREAM OF A WORLD FREE FROM THE HORRORS OF ISLAM.

SUCH A WONDERFUL DREAM
O HOW I WISH IT WERE TRU

IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #8 - May 31st, 2020 at 1:17pm

John Smith wrote on May 31st, 2020 at 1:06pm:
Auggie wrote on May 31st, 2020 at 12:56pm:
no

I don't care. The pigs are at the trough for to long as it is. Increasing their term in office just means they have an extra year to not give a poo what the people they're supposed to represent, think.

Of course, no change in structure is better than a change in people. Good people will always produce better outcomes in any structure. What I'm saying is we need both better people and a better structure.

IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #9 - May 31st, 2020 at 1:23pm

Captain Nemo wrote on May 31st, 2020 at 12:59pm:
But, the State can get things done in that 4 year term - without being blocked in the Upper House all the time.

The "House of review" often turns out to be the "House of blocking and making special deals".   Sad

Having a strong Senate is key to checking the Government of the day. In theory, if a government has been elected on a manisfesto which was accepted by the people, then the Senate shouldn't stand in the way of that. The Senate is there to prevent legislation that hasn't been given a public mandate.

Second, the idea isn't about States doing their thing in 4 years. It's about federal politicians having to focus on specific States during specific cycles.

For example, you're a Queenslander. At the moment, when the federal election comes around, the national conversation is about the new Government (i.e. the House of Reps). However, under my proposal, when Queensland's cycle comes around, then national conversation focuses on QLD (and the other State), which would induce politicians to focus on QLD issues.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - May 31st, 2020 at 1:26pm

Auggie wrote on May 31st, 2020 at 1:17pm:
What I'm saying is we need both better people and a better structure.

you'll never get better people whilst donations remain a part of the system. Until you can get better people, changing the structure is like changing the plastic bag you've thrown your garbage into. It's still full of crap no matter how pretty the bag

Our esteemed leader:

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - May 31st, 2020 at 1:29pm

Captain Nemo wrote on May 31st, 2020 at 12:59pm:

nah ... the senate works how it's supposed to. It's up to the govt of the day to sell their policy. If they can't convince other politicians to vote for it then we're probably better of without it anyway.

Our esteemed leader:

IP Logged

Rider
Gold Member

Australian Politics

OnTheRoad
Reply #12 - May 31st, 2020 at 1:38pm

Valkie wrote on May 31st, 2020 at 1:16pm:
I have a better suggestion.

Hang the lot of them

Confiscate all their properties and wealth as proceeds of crime.

Employ some competent people, on a contract, to make Australia better.

Halve the public service, make any who stay justify their roles
Easy for police, nurses, firemen etc, bloody impossible for fat cats.

Gaol all multinationals until they pay the taxes they should have paid for years.

Export all druggos to Antarctica, where there is plenty of ice.

Cut the dole off for anyone who has been on it for more than 2 years.

Eliminate abbo benifits, one dole for all, one system for all.

BINGO......a better AUSTRALIA.

Can't fault that. 

Get 12 D11's,  6 lengths 450ft anchor chain, raze Canberra.  Graze sheep there, it will be more productive.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #13 - May 31st, 2020 at 1:49pm

Do you choose these things randomly Auggie?

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #14 - May 31st, 2020 at 2:07pm

Send the Ice Junkies to Antarctica.  Grin
Valkie's a cracker.

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6
Send Topic Print