Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
ignorance as a substitute for truth (Read 627 times)
freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
ignorance as a substitute for truth
May 31st, 2020 at 10:23am

This is some interesting logic from John Smith. Apparently not knowing whether something is true is all the evidence you need that it is true. He is making the same argument in two different threads on two different topics.

Can anyone make sense of his reasoning?

John Smith wrote on May 31st, 2020 at 10:00am:
freediver wrote on May 31st, 2020 at 9:55am:
John Smith wrote on May 31st, 2020 at 9:46am:
freediver wrote on May 31st, 2020 at 9:40am:
Who was the last person to post in it before it got removed?

since i wasn't here when it was removed, I have no idea. Do you?

John Smith wrote on May 31st, 2020 at 9:11am:
freediver wrote on May 31st, 2020 at 9:07am:
John Smith wrote on May 30th, 2020 at 4:28pm:
cods wrote on May 30th, 2020 at 2:34pm:
.I of course didnt see what vic did..  so if there happened to be a nasty comment regarding gordys wife.....well in that case!!!!..

he deleted the thread.

There was no comment about gordies wife, nasty or otherwise,  it was a conversation about gordies wifes boss.

How do you know? You do have a habit of making things up John.

You seem to confuse your tactics with mine. I was a part of that thread, thats how I know.

So which version of events is true John? You know what was in the thread that got removed because you were part of it, or you have no idea because you were not there?

Would you say this is yet another example of you getting caught out making things up? Will you own it this time, or show off some more of your elaborate tapdancing skills?

Or do you still not understand what is going on?

Both are true FD. I can only speak about what I see, not what i can't see.

freediver wrote on May 31st, 2020 at 10:11am:
John Smith wrote on May 31st, 2020 at 10:08am:
freediver wrote on May 31st, 2020 at 9:59am:
John Smith wrote on May 30th, 2020 at 1:01pm:
freediver wrote on May 30th, 2020 at 12:14pm:
How does a "press ID" clearly identify anyone if it is just something dangling from your trousers that people make for themselves?

they're issued by local law enforcement FD. I've already told you that.

Do you still think this is true John?

Bloody oath it's true. Unless you think the NPAA is lying
https://nppa.org/page/press-credentials

Quote:
It is important to realize that you do not need a press "credential" to take pictures or cover events in public places (streets, parks, sidewalks that are not closed off to public access).

How do you know it is true?

John Smith wrote on May 30th, 2020 at 1:34pm:
freediver wrote on May 30th, 2020 at 1:06pm:
Quote:
they're issued by local law enforcement FD

Did this journalist have a police-issued press ID?

I know that press id's are usually issued by law enforcement. I can't speak as to the specifics of this guys press id.

John Smith wrote on May 31st, 2020 at 10:14am:
freediver wrote on May 31st, 2020 at 10:11am:
How do you know it is true?

you haven't proven it's not

You acknowledge that his dress was uncharacteristic for a journalist from a major news network.

I did no such thing

John Smith wrote on May 30th, 2020 at 10:46am:
freediver wrote on May 30th, 2020 at 10:31am:
How often do you see a talking head dressed like that guy?

maybe he got caught in the riots unprepared and decided to go live? Or maybe he was supposed to remain behind the camera. Who knows why. We don'thave all the information

. You also acknowledge that this press pass you made such a big fuss over may have  merely been something that any person can make for themselves.

again, I did no such thing

why make crap up FD?

John Smith wrote on May 30th, 2020 at 1:34pm:
Quote:
Did this journalist have a police-issued press ID?

I know that press id's are usually issued by law enforcement. I can't speak as to the specifics of this guys press id.

« Last Edit: May 31st, 2020 at 10:31am by freediver »  

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: ignorance as a substitute for truth
Reply #1 - May 31st, 2020 at 10:27am

how typical of fd.

You're a coward FD. Selectively picking quotes and misrepresenting people. You do it every time anyone disagrees with you and proves you lie.

good luck with that

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #2 - May 31st, 2020 at 10:28am

Did they severe the hemisphere's of John Smith's brain for medical reasons, to stop the fits? Does he know if he is coming or going at times?

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

The_Barnacle
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #3 - May 31st, 2020 at 10:28am

If you are starting a thread attacking another member shouldn't it be in relationships?

The Right Wing only believe in free speech when they agree with what is being said.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #4 - May 31st, 2020 at 10:33am

I started a thread about the logic of arguing that being ignorant of something makes what you say about it true. I was hoping someone could explain this to me, as I keep seeing it repeated everywhere.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #5 - May 31st, 2020 at 10:36am

The_Barnacle wrote on May 31st, 2020 at 10:28am:
If you are starting a thread attacking another member shouldn't it be in relationships?

Well John Smith hopes so. He can have Aussie control it to some degree. Smith already has his spider-man bogey-board ready like a day out at the old Mt Druitt Water Works.

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #6 - May 31st, 2020 at 10:41am

John do you think that press ID's "are usually issued by law enforcement" for journalists to take pictures or cover events in public places?

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #7 - May 31st, 2020 at 10:57am

I would say that from the original post it looks to me that john was part of the topic and confirmed that there was nothing nasty posted about Gordy's wife while he was on the topic, also saying that he does not know what may have occurred between his presence ending on the topic and it being deleted he would not know. I wouls think the logic goes without saying. Maybe more a confused position that a real contradiction.

On the premise of Ignorance as substitute for truth I feel that John is consistently not in this very real group. There are 2 or 3 posters who are almost exclusively in this camp.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #8 - May 31st, 2020 at 11:08am

So John never argued that not being able to speak about what he didn't see makes what he said true?

Remember, this is after many posts of me trying to explain to him that he did not know whether it was true and was thus making it up. So it's not like I took advantage of his momentary confusion. He is actually employing some kind of considered logic here, across multiple threads and multiple different topics. I for one am interested in an explanation of how it works.
« Last Edit: May 31st, 2020 at 11:14am by freediver »  

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - May 31st, 2020 at 11:10am

Dnarever wrote on May 31st, 2020 at 10:57am:
I would say that from the original post it looks to me that john was part of the topic and confirmed that there was nothing nasty posted about Gordy's wife while he was on the topic, also saying that he does not know what may have occurred between his presence ending on the topic and it being deleted he would not know. I wouls think the logic goes without saying. Maybe more a confused position that a real contradiction.

On the premise of Ignorance as substitute for truth I feel that John is consistently not in this very real group. There are 2 or 3 posters who are almost exclusively in this camp.

not quite dna   js did in fact say

Quote:
There was no comment about gordies wife, nasty or otherwise,  it was a conversation about gordies wifes boss

he cannot have a bet each way.....was he there the moment vic disappeared the thread????...

apparently not..

Quote:
since i wasn't here when it was removed, I have no idea. Do you?

there is no logic there... Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

he then directs the conversation away from himself  thus..

Quote:
you're a coward FD. Selectively picking quotes and misrepresentiYng people. You do it every time anyone disagrees with you and proves you lie.

with no explanation for his own contradictions..or lost logic!

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #10 - May 31st, 2020 at 11:21am

John Smith is just trying to create discord. He's a troll - that's what they do. They can not create harmony with their music, even among themselves from what I saw.
FD is just helping John to showcase himself more to the Members here.

IP Logged

Fuzzball
Gold Member

Australia
Reply #11 - May 31st, 2020 at 11:36am

Jasin wrote on May 31st, 2020 at 11:21am:
John Smith is just trying to create discord. He's a troll - that's what they do. They can not create harmony with their music, even among themselves from what I saw.
FD is just helping John to showcase himself more to the Members here.

Nobody here needs to help Smith showcase himself, everybody knows he's the forum fool, he illustrates that very well himself.

Life's Journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting,
"Holy Sh!t ... What a Ride!"

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #12 - May 31st, 2020 at 11:45am

Maybe this is it. John meant this literally:

Quote:
I can only speak about what I see, not what i can't see.

Like Brian not allowing himself to criticise Islam or Muslim countries, John does not allow himself to speak about things he doesn't know about, therefor if he does not know if something exists, he can "truthfully" say that it does not exist.

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #13 - May 31st, 2020 at 11:50am

The_Barnacle wrote on May 31st, 2020 at 10:28am:

Nah - this is a kind of anti-relationship... though by government-think it could be deemed a relationship and their pensions cut...

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #14 - May 31st, 2020 at 1:44pm

John Smith wrote on May 31st, 2020 at 12:49pm:
freediver wrote on May 31st, 2020 at 10:53am:
John Smith wrote on May 31st, 2020 at 10:12am:
freediver wrote on May 31st, 2020 at 10:05am:
So when you claimed that certain comments were not made, you were really only talking about your own ignorance, not making statements about what was or was not in the thread?

No i was commenting on what I has seen in the thread.

So when you posted this:

John Smith wrote on May 30th, 2020 at 4:28pm:
cods wrote on May 30th, 2020 at 2:34pm:
.I of course didnt see what vic did..  so if there happened to be a nasty comment regarding gordys wife.....well in that case!!!!..

he deleted the thread.

There was no comment about gordies wife, nasty or otherwise,  it was a conversation about gordies wifes boss.

You did not intend to suggest that there was no comment about gordies wife, nasty or otherwise, in the thread?

sure i did. As far as I am aware, there was no comment about gordies wife. There is no lie, only stupidity on your part

ie, John's ignorance makes it true.

Curiously though, if you ask him other questions about the thread, he cannot say because he wasn't there and doesn't have a clue. How does he pick which answer to give?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print