Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
some justice for our Firies.. (Read 1124 times)
cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

some justice for our Firies..
May 25th, 2020 at 6:02pm

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/bushfiresupport/celeste-barber-51m-bushfire-fu...

Millions of dollars raised in comedian Celeste Barber's bushfire appeal can be used to support injured firefighters and the families of fallen heroes, a court has ruled.

The record-breaking Facebook campaign raked in $51 million for the NSW Rural Fire Service in January, with Barber telling donors she'd split the money with other charities and interstate brigades.

But a Supreme Court judge has ruled the cash bonanza must be spent within the NSW RFS.

The RFS had feared the kitty could only go towards equipment, training, and operational costs under rules governing the Brigades Donations Fund trust.

LIVE BLOG: BUSHFIRE ROYAL COMMISSION

But Justice Michael Slattery ruled that some of the funds may be spent on physical and mental health training, trauma counselling and other programs to support individual NSW RFS fireys.

And relatives of volunteers who lost their lives, alongside those hurt in the line of duty who need rehabilitation can alsobenefit from the money under the guidelines, he said.

The state attorney-general had argued such assistance could be used to encourage more volunteers to join and thus could technically be permitted.

The NSW RFS wanted to honour Barber’s wishes to help victims from fire-ravaged communities and animals by passing some of the money onto wildlife rescue organisation WIRES, the Red Cross and interstate brigades.

Justice Slattery has previously noted the NSW RFS was assisted by interstate and overseas brigades during the unprecedented blazes, with some of those fireys dying.

But the judge said the staggering sum is not allowed to be shared with other brigades or charities.

“Some donors may have intended or hoped that the money they donated would be used for purposes beyond those which the court has advised are permissible,” Justice Slattery said.

“Despite the trustees’ wish to honour those intentions or hopes the law provides principles than ensure a degree of certainty in the application of trust funds including charitable trust funds.”

And the judge ordered both the NSW RFS and the Attorney-General’s legal costs be paid out of the charity fund.

its better than first thought  though I am not entirely happy with his judgement...a lot lost their lives trying to save their homes....and they are excluded....I for one wont ever donate again.. once again the lawyers benefit...but not those who imo should benefit from these donations.. Sad Sad Sad

IP Logged

chimera
Gold Member

Australian Politics

armidale
Re: some justice for our Firies..
Reply #1 - May 25th, 2020 at 6:57pm

Firies volunteer , the celebrity volunteered and people volunteered cash.  Pollies smelled money and state advantage.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - May 25th, 2020 at 7:40pm

Scotty from Marketing volunteered to go to Hawaii.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #3 - May 25th, 2020 at 8:04pm

The money should all be repaid to those who gave.
It's a SCAM now, more than a Charitable outcome.
Pink spent million$ and the Government has 'cashed in' on it.
Expect Government expenditure on NSW RFS to be $50 next year, now that 'donations' have paid the way.

Possibly Australia's biggest 'Charity SCAM' ever!
All money should have been 'returned'.

...I never donate money now. Australia has become a nation of GO FUND ME BEGGARS and Scammers.

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - May 25th, 2020 at 8:09pm

Jasin wrote on May 25th, 2020 at 8:04pm:
The money should all be repaid to those who gave.
It's a SCAM now, more than a Charitable outcome.
Pink spent million$ and the Government has 'cashed in' on it.
Expect Government expenditure on NSW RFS to be $50 next year, now that 'donations' have paid the way.

Possibly Australia's biggest 'Charity SCAM' ever!
All money should have been 'returned'.

...I never donate money now. Australia has become a nation of GO FUND ME BEGGARS and Scammers.

Sad, but true.

It's a very disturbing trend that's taken off in this country.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - May 25th, 2020 at 10:20pm

because they do not trust the Charities...

they collect millions.....   yet its never enough....what they actually do with it we never really know....its only under duress we find out the likes of the Red Cross  remove 25% for admin... then they remove another % to spend elsewhere other than where the donator intends their donation to go..

this is not announced up front....it never is...  an awful lot of the money they received for our FIRE AFFECTED NATION   has been squirreled away for o/seas to big note the Red Cross.. probably in Afghanistan somewhere.....NO THANKS..

I like to help people in need....I really do... but the charities have lost me...so yes I do donate to go fund me.....but only if I have a lot of back ground....

a lot of people lost good men and sons fighting those fires it was hell on earth for weeks on end.....

yes yes a lot of firies dies as well.. but I am sure people when they donated wanted their money to go to everyone so sadly affected yet most will go to buying equipment for the AFS which as far as i am concerned is the govts job.. we dont donate to to help govts   we do it to help each other...

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #6 - May 25th, 2020 at 10:24pm

Australia ripped
PINK
off big time!
Shame, shame, shame.

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - May 25th, 2020 at 10:38pm

Jasin wrote on May 25th, 2020 at 10:24pm:
Australia ripped
PINK
off big time!
Shame, shame, shame.

I feel horrible I dont about anyone else......but look at the legals all getting on the band wagon...all coming out very nicely thank you....all out of the donations....its appalling...and its all down to us...Australians....

he says some of the money.....what does that mean?????

just dont ever expect this to happen again [$52 mill]   if I was Pink  and a few others who contributed so much    I would be in a state of shock and say never again...

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #8 - May 25th, 2020 at 10:43pm

Don't be surprised if
Pink
takes Legal Action.
So she should.
The Supreme Court can't enforce how the Money was intended to be spent, but it can enforce how the Money will now be spent.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - May 25th, 2020 at 10:53pm

Jasin wrote on May 25th, 2020 at 10:43pm:
Don't be surprised if
Pink
takes Legal Action.
So she should.
The Supreme Court can't enforce how the Money was intended to be spent, but it can enforce how the Money will now be spent.

as long as the legals get their share..... Angry

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #10 - May 25th, 2020 at 11:19pm

She'll have to do another Tour here to recoup her losses.

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #11 - May 26th, 2020 at 12:47am

I note the funding made available is not for compensation to families - it is for counseling...

Downe at Ye Olde Counseling couche:-

"So - how do you feel about your husband being burned to a crisp and your kids receiving inadequate funding for their future, but counseling is provided instead?"

"Much falken worse now after that comment!"

"Are you aware of the unconscious hostility you are demonstrating?"

"If it's unconscious how the falk would I know about it?"

"My - we really are showing clear signs of stress today..."

"The only stress I feel is from dealing with dick-heads like you!  STRESS is the confusion caused by the mind over-riding the natural instinct to choke the living sh1t out of some arsehole who thoroughly deserves it!  We need sustenance - not chit-chat from a wanker!"

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

chimera
Gold Member

Australian Politics

armidale
Reply #12 - May 26th, 2020 at 7:44am

"Are you feeling depressed?"
"...um..yes...er "
"And why is that?"
"they're ..um..fighting over the funding..and ..you know.."
"No I don't"
.."oh.."

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - May 26th, 2020 at 8:00am

how do you put a price on a life given up in the line of duty...

how do you gauge grief,and damage done to a child when their father is taken from them....

how does that get measured out in dollars?

all that money will not compensate these people..

funny how its ok to pay out legal fees from the donations   ... without a hassle   real funny!

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #14 - May 26th, 2020 at 8:54am

PINK
GOT RIPPED OFF BY AUSTRALIANS (because they are all in it together)

ScoMo: "thank Christ we don't have to fork out any money to those incompetant Rural Fire Servicemen. Real Men join the Military and they had to be brought in to save the day! Let Pink pay for it. Our budget needs a holiday. Tahiti looks nice. James!"

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print