Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print
FFS We need a defence force like the Isareli IDF (Read 3883 times)
Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Re: FFS We need a defence force like the Israeli IDF
Reply #45 - May 27th, 2020 at 8:11am

Sir lastnail wrote on May 26th, 2020 at 11:15pm:
No threat to Australia. Tell that to the honkies in HK Cheesy LOL

That's true Nail & I wish people could spell Israeli.

IP Logged

Brian Ross

Representative of me

Re: FFS We need a defence force like the Isareli IDF
Reply #46 - May 27th, 2020 at 1:50pm

Bobby. wrote on May 26th, 2020 at 11:11pm:
Brian Ross wrote on May 26th, 2020 at 11:07pm:
Bobby. wrote on May 26th, 2020 at 7:47pm:
Brian Ross wrote on May 26th, 2020 at 7:15pm:
Bobby. wrote on May 26th, 2020 at 7:11pm:
Gordon wrote on May 26th, 2020 at 7:04pm:
Lets say for arguments sake Pearl harbor  wasnt bombed and USA didn't enter the war at all and Japan held onto all their territories and became even more powerful with all the natural resources gained.

How long before they would have cast their gaze to the south?

The Yanks would still have found an excuse to join in.

But they couldn't paint themselves as the "victims" in their casus belli, Bobby.  Tsk, tsk,  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

dear Brian,
Are you trying to say that you're a better historian than me?

Yes.

dear Brian,
I see you deleted a few posts there.

Yes because they were either off topic or they attacked someone.

Quote:
So why are you the only commentator I've ever heard
that says China is no threat to Australia and that we don't need the Yanks?

The truth is often hard to bear, Bobby.  Australia is a long way way from anywhere.  Australia has long had a fear that other nations would come and do to the White settlers what the White settlers did to the Indigenous Australians.  There have been whole books written, examining the subject (Alan Renouf's "The Frightened Country" springs to mind).   Australian politicians have played on the topic.  Commentators love to play on the subject.   The Australian people cower and fear the topic.   Washington has played on the subject.  You love the subject, Bobby.  Is it real though? No it isn't.  Time to grow up and face the facts, which you refuse to do.   

Australia is under no threat and hasn't been any time in it's existence.  It is so far distant from the nations of the Northern Hemisphere we may as well be on the other side of the moon.   Even the Americans would have a hard time invading Australia.    The PRC is not equipped nor inclined to attack us conventionally.  Only New Zealand is more secure than Australia. Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Brian Ross

Representative of me

Reply #47 - May 27th, 2020 at 1:55pm

Sir lastnail wrote on May 26th, 2020 at 11:15pm:
Bobby. wrote on May 26th, 2020 at 11:11pm:
Brian Ross wrote on May 26th, 2020 at 11:07pm:
Bobby. wrote on May 26th, 2020 at 7:47pm:
Brian Ross wrote on May 26th, 2020 at 7:15pm:
Bobby. wrote on May 26th, 2020 at 7:11pm:
Gordon wrote on May 26th, 2020 at 7:04pm:
Lets say for arguments sake Pearl harbor  wasnt bombed and USA didn't enter the war at all and Japan held onto all their territories and became even more powerful with all the natural resources gained.

How long before they would have cast their gaze to the south?

The Yanks would still have found an excuse to join in.

But they couldn't paint themselves as the "victims" in their casus belli, Bobby.  Tsk, tsk,  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

dear Brian,
Are you trying to say that you're a better historian than me?

Yes.

dear Brian,
I see you deleted a few posts there.
So why are you the only commentator I've ever heard
that says China is no threat to Australia and that we don't need the Yanks?

No threat to Australia. Tell that to the honkies in HK Cheesy LOL

Hong Kong is 4,271 km from the northernmost tip of Australia.  Hong Kong is not a nation.  It is a territory of the People's Republic of China.  It is on the border of the PRC.  What the PRC does there is no threat to Australia.  QED. 

That does not mean it is not a concern to Australia.  There are many Australian expatriates who live there.  We do a great deal of trade with Hong Kong.    Roll Eyes

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #48 - May 27th, 2020 at 2:09pm

Brian Ross wrote on May 27th, 2020 at 1:50pm:
The truth is often hard to bear, Bobby.  Australia is a long way way from anywhere.  Australia has long had a fear that other nations would come and do to the White settlers what the White settlers did to the Indigenous Australians.  There have been whole books written, examining the subject (Alan Renouf's "The Frightened Country" springs to mind).   Australian politicians have played on the topic.  Commentators love to play on the subject.   The Australian people cower and fear the topic.   Washington has played on the subject.  You love the subject, Bobby.  Is it real though? No it isn't.  Time to grow up and face the facts, which you refuse to do.   

Australia is under no threat and hasn't been any time in it's existence.  It is so far distant from the nations of the Northern Hemisphere we may as well be on the other side of the moon.   Even the Americans would have a hard time invading Australia.    The PRC is not equipped nor inclined to attack us conventionally.  Only New Zealand is more secure than Australia. Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Well Brian - you need to be on the Government's advisory panel
to tell them that we don't need the 72  F35s and neither do we need to spend $80 billion on subs.
You could save us a lot of money.

Experts who advise the Govt. say the opposite of you.
Who should I believe?

IP Logged

Belgarion
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #49 - May 27th, 2020 at 2:09pm

What Brian is saying is that China can pose no military threat to Australia. This is true. Not to say some low level military harassment could not occur, however the logistic capability for a successful invasion and occupation does not exist. 

The real threat is economic and to an extent social.

BTW, the Japanese had no plans to invade Australia. Their unexpectedly quick success in SE Asia allowed them to very briefly consider formulating an ad hoc plan to do so, but they very quickly realised it was not possible for the reasons Brian has outlined earlier.

"I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

Voltaire.....(possibly)

IP Logged

Brian Ross

Representative of me

Reply #50 - May 27th, 2020 at 2:36pm

Bobby. wrote on May 27th, 2020 at 2:09pm:
Brian Ross wrote on May 27th, 2020 at 1:50pm:

Well Brian - you need to be on the Government's advisory panel
to tell them that we don't need the 72  F35s and neither do we need to spend $80 billion on subs.
You could save us a lot of money.

I could indeed.  Personally I see nothing wrong with spending money on Submarines and Aircraft to defend the "air-sea" Gap that exist to our north, Bobby or for use in expeditionary warfare.   Australia has overseas interests, we are a member of the UN, we do have responsibilities to protect.  Submarines and Aircraft are ideal for that. 

Quote:
Experts who advise the Govt. say the opposite of you.
Who should I believe?

They have a vested interest in saying the reverse to me, Bobby.  I am nit employed in Defence Commentary or by the Department of Defence, I have no vested interest in the topic.  They are welcome to their opinion even if it is often wrong, as you are to yours.  I have attempted to educate you but you keep reverting to the old age fear that grips so many Australians...  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Brian Ross

Representative of me

Reply #51 - May 27th, 2020 at 2:40pm

Belgarion wrote on May 27th, 2020 at 2:09pm:
What Brian is saying is that China can pose no military threat to Australia. This is true. Not to say some low level military harassment could not occur, however the logistic capability for a successful invasion and occupation does not exist. 

The real threat is economic and to an extent social.

Minor things really.  China needs to trade with us.  Its population is a useful source of migrants.  Migrants that become Australian once they receive citizenship.

Quote:
BTW, the Japanese had no plans to invade Australia. Their unexpectedly quick success in SE Asia allowed them to very briefly consider formulating an ad hoc plan to do so, but they very quickly realised it was not possible for the reasons Brian has outlined earlier.

Thank you, someone else who understands history.  There was never a danger of Japanese troops landing at Bondi or Darwin or Perth or Adelaide or Melbourne or Hobart.   There is no danger of Chinese troops doing the same.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #52 - May 27th, 2020 at 2:54pm

Brian Ross wrote on May 27th, 2020 at 2:36pm:
I could indeed.  Personally I see nothing wrong with spending money on Submarines and Aircraft to defend the "air-sea" Gap that exist to our north, Bobby or for use in expeditionary warfare.   Australia has overseas interests, we are a member of the UN, we do have responsibilities to protect.  Submarines and Aircraft are ideal for that. 

They have a vested interest in saying the reverse to me, Bobby.  I am nit employed in Defence Commentary or by the Department of Defence, I have no vested interest in the topic.  They are welcome to their opinion even if it is often wrong, as you are to yours.  I have attempted to educate you but you keep reverting to the old age fear that grips so many Australians...  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

dear Brian -
I live in fear of a Chinese invasion.
To me it's not if but when?
They have many similarities to Nazi Germany:
an elected for life, despot leader,
a massive arms buildup,
aggressive nature.

Taiwan will be the signal of the start.
Once they get away with that then they will feel
invigorated just like Hitler after Czechoslovakia.

IP Logged

Brian Ross

Representative of me

Reply #53 - May 27th, 2020 at 9:13pm

Bobby. wrote on May 27th, 2020 at 2:54pm:
Brian Ross wrote on May 27th, 2020 at 2:36pm:

dear Brian -
I live in fear of a Chinese invasion.
To me it's not if but when?
They have many similarities to Nazi Germany:
an elected for life, despot leader,
a massive arms buildup,
aggressive nature.

They are assertive, not aggressive, Bobby.  There is a clear difference.  You should learn the Queen's English before mouth off.  They are as assertive as the Americans but we never hear you criticising them, now do we?  Roll Eyes

Quote:
Taiwan will be the signal of the start.
Once they get away with that then they will feel
invigorated just like Hitler after Czechoslovakia.

Taiwan has a large navy, air force and ground forces.  The PRC does not have the ability to overwhelm them quite as easily as you believe, Bobby.  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #54 - May 27th, 2020 at 9:18pm

Taiwan will defy the CCP for a while.
But the Nationals will always run from the CCP like they always have.
I bet they flee to the USA.

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #55 - May 28th, 2020 at 9:32pm

Brian Ross wrote on May 27th, 2020 at 9:13pm:
They are assertive, not aggressive, Bobby.  There is a clear difference.  You should learn the Queen's English before mouth off.  They are as assertive as the Americans but we never hear you criticising them, now do we?  Roll Eyes

Taiwan has a large navy, air force and ground forces.  The PRC does not have the ability to overwhelm them quite as easily as you believe, Bobby.  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

The Yanks are aggressive as they are the world's policeman.
History lesson again -
The Yanks had a policy of isolationism before WW2
which allowed Hitler to rise unopposed.
Do you want the Yanks to return to that policy?

Taiwan could not defend themselves against a huge Chinese invasion.
History lesson again -
The allies invaded Normandy against a gigantic
Nazi army and they won.
A sea invasion is possible if planned properly.

IP Logged

Brian Ross

Representative of me

Reply #56 - May 28th, 2020 at 11:02pm

Bobby. wrote on May 28th, 2020 at 9:32pm:
Brian Ross wrote on May 27th, 2020 at 9:13pm:

The Yanks are aggressive as they are the world's policeman.
History lesson again -
The Yanks had a policy of isolationism before WW2
which allowed Hitler to rise unopposed.
Do you want the Yanks to return to that policy?

That is the policy that el Presidente Trump is effectively returning to, Bobby.   Do you disagree with it?

No, I don't want the US to become isolationist.  I want it to become responsible for it's actions, good and bad.  What do you want?

Quote:
Taiwan could not defend themselves against a huge Chinese invasion.
History lesson again -
The allies invaded Normandy against a gigantic
Nazi army and they won.
A sea invasion is possible if planned properly.

Yes it is.  However, the Allies in Normandy had had three practices before then.  They invaded North Africa, Sicily and Italy.  All three were fraught with near disasters.   Normandy was a near disaster as well.  Taiwan will not be a pushover for the PLA for the reasons I have already provided.  The PLA has not fought a successful war since Korea.   It's invasion of Vietnam was repulsed by the Vietnamese equivalent of the home guard.   The Taiwanese are much more professional.  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #57 - May 29th, 2020 at 7:33am

I've seen the Media try and involve the USA with Hong Kong.
The Media is trying to make the USA take action against the CCP with Hong Kong.
Hong Kong has nothing to do with the USA.
What's Britain's view on Hong Kong?

CCP has every right to Hong Kong.
It also can lay claim against Taiwan and former Soviet (former Chinese) lands.

If they go further than this - sure.

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #58 - May 29th, 2020 at 7:39am

Brian Ross wrote on May 28th, 2020 at 11:02pm:
That is the policy that el Presidente Trump is effectively returning to, Bobby.   Do you disagree with it?

No, I don't want the US to become isolationist.  I want it to become responsible for it's actions, good and bad.  What do you want?

Yes it is.  However, the Allies in Normandy had had three practices before then.  They invaded North Africa, Sicily and Italy.  All three were fraught with near disasters.   Normandy was a near disaster as well.  Taiwan will not be a pushover for the PLA for the reasons I have already provided.  The PLA has not fought a successful war since Korea.   It's invasion of Vietnam was repulsed by the Vietnamese equivalent of the home guard.   The Taiwanese are much more professional.  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Trump is only pretending to be an isolationist leader.
How many US overseas bases has he closed down?
Trump was still killing terrorist leaders in Iraq after
the USA was supposed to have left there.

The Chinese could still invade Taiwan.
What may limit them is US satellite technology that
could easily view the preparations.
The Taiwanese would get plenty of warning.

IP Logged

Brian Ross

Representative of me

Reply #59 - May 29th, 2020 at 1:04pm

Bobby. wrote on May 29th, 2020 at 7:39am:
Brian Ross wrote on May 28th, 2020 at 11:02pm:

Trump is only pretending to be an isolationist leader.
How many US overseas bases has he closed down?
Trump was still killing terrorist leaders in Iraq after
the USA was supposed to have left there.

Trump is "only pretending"?  Really, Bobby?  I wonder why?  Roll Eyes

Quote:
The Chinese could still invade Taiwan.
What may limit them is US satellite technology that
could easily view the preparations.
The Taiwanese would get plenty of warning.

So, it has now gone from "China will invade" to "China could still" invade Taiwan?  Are you starting to see the light, Bobby?  Mmmmm...  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print