Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 
Send Topic Print
What a con by NZ..watch it take off in Australia. (Read 5228 times)
freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Re: What a con by NZ..watch it take off in Australia.
Reply #75 - May 21st, 2020 at 8:58pm

greggerypeccary wrote on May 21st, 2020 at 7:10pm:
freediver wrote on May 21st, 2020 at 7:04pm:
What is your yardstick of 'success'?

Captain Nemo said it succinctly:

"productivity improves, the business does better, absenteeism reduces. Family life improves".

That's how you measure the success of a country?

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #76 - May 21st, 2020 at 9:12pm

freediver wrote on May 21st, 2020 at 8:58pm:
greggerypeccary wrote on May 21st, 2020 at 7:10pm:

Captain Nemo said it succinctly:

"productivity improves, the business does better, absenteeism reduces. Family life improves".

That's how you measure the success of a country?

Are you going to move the goal posts again?

If so, give me a heads up.

Cheers.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #77 - May 21st, 2020 at 9:40pm

Why is this so complicated for you Greg?

greggerypeccary wrote on May 21st, 2020 at 6:46pm:
freediver wrote on May 21st, 2020 at 5:34pm:
John Smith wrote on May 21st, 2020 at 8:46am:
"The New Zealand company behind a landmark trial of a four-day working week has declared it a success and will be adopting the new schedule full time.

"Almost 250 staff at Perpetual Guardian, a company which manages trusts, wills and estate planning, trialled a four-day working week over March and April this year, working four eight-hour days but getting paid for five."

'No downside': New Zealand firm adopts four-day week after successful trial

"A New Zealand company is on the cusp of granting its employees the ultimate in work-life balance: four days work for five days pay."

Work four days, get paid for five: New Zealand company's new shorter week

Sounds like a fairy tale to me. No wonder it appeals to Pecca.

Not a fairy tale at all.

Four day weeks have been working successfully in many countries for several years.

https://zapier.com/blog/four-day-work-week/

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #78 - May 22nd, 2020 at 1:25am

Work four days - get paid for five - the Good.
Work four days - get paid for four - the Bad.
Work four days - get paid the equivalent of three - the Ugly.

How long, may one ask, is a business going to pay five day's pay for four days work?

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #79 - May 22nd, 2020 at 6:40am

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on May 22nd, 2020 at 1:25am:

How long, may one ask, is a business going to pay five day's pay for four days work?

Jesus Christ, why do you guys have so much trouble understanding this?

You used to work five days, and get paid 38 hours.

Switching to a four day week means you work four longer days, and still get paid 38 hours.

You don't get an extra day's pay - you get the exact same pay.

Basic maths.

Five day week: work 7.6 hours per day, paid for 38 hours.

Four day week: work 9.5 hours per day, paid for 38 hours.

Roll Eyes

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #80 - May 22nd, 2020 at 7:21am

billy the kid wrote on May 21st, 2020 at 5:36pm:
cods wrote on May 21st, 2020 at 5:26pm:
billy the kid wrote on May 21st, 2020 at 5:05pm:
Dont forget, if you currently work say an eight hour day, it becomes a ten hour day if youre only working for four days a week...instead of working say from 8 til 5 with an hour off for lunch...you would now have to work say 7 til 6 with an hour off for lunch...
Being old school, I don't think Id like that....
Thats a long day when you add the commute to and from work
on top of it.....

true  but our coppers already work a 12 hour day  in NSW   and with 4 or 5 days off  at a time it works for them...a lot of jobs do not have office hours these days..

The coppers I have met over the years have all been alcoholics and divorced by the time they are 30.
A copper I once lived next to in NSW was a chronic wife basher. The long hours just might have something to do with it....I don't really know if the Police are a good example of a 12 hour shift actually being a good idea...

seriously you have lost the plot....

you once lived next door to a copper   so you are an expert on everyone of them... Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

I dont think 12 hour shifts are a good thing to be honest  but 10 hrs wouldnt be a problem because of the extended hours off....... as long as everyone does the recommended 38 hours....staggering traffic on the roads  would be a bonus...  the fact we are on differing time lines around the country would have to be a bonus.....we are in a fantastic place to make changes to our lifestyle

it wont be suitable for all business  thats for sure....but if it works for them   WHY NOT?.

IP Logged

Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Reply #81 - May 22nd, 2020 at 7:21am

I used to work a job that was 12.5 hours a day 3.5 days a week. It was great

Spot

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
- edited by some unethical admin - you think its funny? - its a slippery slope
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #82 - May 22nd, 2020 at 8:31am

Sir Spot of Borg wrote on May 22nd, 2020 at 7:21am:

Spot

Exactly.

I've done similar.

We have the four day week here in Australia already, if businesses want to use it.

And, many do.

New Zealand has it too.

Adern is just suggesting that more businesses should consider it as an option.

Five day weeks are the norm, sure - but as long as other laws are adhered too (not working excessive hours in one day, for example) there's nothing stopping businesses from having their employees work a four day week.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #83 - May 22nd, 2020 at 8:48am

Sir Spot of Borg wrote on May 22nd, 2020 at 7:21am:

Spot

I have often thought why not a 7 day week...  every business at least 7x10 hour days......two people each job each working 3.5.days a week.....each getting the same basic wage...retail and hospitality  now work more hours than that...

but if say dentists or hairdressers accountants also did the same thing...... each person would get the same basic pay..

the weeks could work from Sun Mon Tues half day Wed. ..half day Wed thur Fri Sat,,,.. with no penalty rates....

I am thinking public transport would be easier...

as well as our road system not being blocked up just a few hours a dayl..

IP Logged

billy the kid

Australian Politics

Reply #84 - May 22nd, 2020 at 10:08am

cods wrote on May 22nd, 2020 at 7:21am:
Dont forget, if you currently work say an eight hour day, it becomes a ten hour day if youre only working for four days a week...instead of working say from 8 til 5 with an hour off for lunch...you would now have to work say 7 til 6 with an hour off for lunch...
on top of it.....

true  but our coppers already work a 12 hour day  in NSW   and with 4 or 5 days off  at a time it works for them...a lot of jobs do not have office hours these days..

The coppers I have met over the years have all been alcoholics and divorced by the time they are 30.
A copper I once lived next to in NSW was a chronic wife basher. The long hours just might have something to do with it....I don't really know if the Police are a good example of a 12 hour shift actually being a good idea...

you once lived next door to a copper   so you are an expert on everyone of them... Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

I dont think 12 hour shifts are a good thing to be honest  but 10 hrs wouldnt be a problem because of the extended hours off....... as long as everyone does the recommended 38 hours....staggering traffic on the roads  would be a bonus...  the fact we are on differing time lines around the country would have to be a bonus.....we are in a fantastic place to make changes to our lifestyle

it wont be suitable for all business  thats for sure....but if it works for them   WHY NOT?.

It is you who have lost the plot cods.
You state that it works for them, yet you contradict yourself by saying "I don't think 12 hour shifts are a good thing"
Yes I lived next to a Police Officer once...by the way that was when I was 16.....nothing has changed since then...
see the attached link...
I know Police Constables who have graduated from the Police Academy, all full of beans, and have resigned in one month when they have observed what it is really like.
I have associated with alcoholic Police officers over the
years. Their common comment to me is that a lot of people join the Police for one of three reasons....gash, cash or bash...note that I said a lot..not all of them...
There are fine Police officers out there, no doubt..but for you to suggest that Policing is an example of how longs shifts are successful is just plain ludicrous.
People leave the Police service in droves in Qld. Im sure its the same in other states. We don't hear about the numbers.
Stations on the GC have been undermanned for a decade or more. Backup is often more than 40 minutes away (if they get it) and officers often have to complete their paperwork after their shift has concluded in their own time...and by the way, they
often work all day with no meal break....
So don't lecture me about my knowledge of the Police Service sweetheart....
https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/police-on-the-scrap-heap-the-effect-of-the-job-on-mental-health-20141129-11wn1j.html

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #85 - May 22nd, 2020 at 10:23am

billy the kid wrote on May 22nd, 2020 at 10:08am:
on top of it.....

You state that it works for them, yet you contradict yourself by saying "I don't think 12 hour shifts are a good thing" 
THATS WHAT I THINK I AM NOT A NSW COPPER..

Yes I lived next to a Police Officer once...by the way that was when I was 16.....nothing has changed since then...
see the attached link...
I know Police Constables who have graduated from the Police Academy, all full of beans, and have resigned in one month when they have observed what it is really like.
years. Their common comment to me is that a lot of people join the Police for one of three reasons....gash, cash or bash...note that I said a lot..not all of them...
There are fine Police officers out there, no doubt..but for you to suggest that Policing is an example of how longs shifts are successful is just plain ludicrous.
People leave the Police service in droves in Qld. Im sure its the same in other states. We don't hear about the numbers.
Stations on the GC have been undermanned for a decade or more. Backup is often more than 40 minutes away (if they get it) and officers often have to complete their paperwork after their shift has concluded in their own time...and by the way, they
https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/police-on-the-scrap-heap-the-effect-of-the-job-on-mental-health-20141129-11wn1j.html

MY TWO SON IN LAWS WERE COPPERS.. Roll Eyes

one is still in the AFP but hes Forensics...
olus one daughter worked 30 yrs in the AFP

you mentioned living next door to one.... Roll Eyesnothing else !now you seem to have met all kinds...you do know they are human dont you????? and have as many warts as any other human.

so no I am not lecturing at all... but I would think I have more knowledge of the inside workings of both the AFP and NSW policing.....and all its dramas and faults...

IP Logged

billy the kid

Australian Politics

Reply #86 - May 22nd, 2020 at 10:30am

cods wrote on May 22nd, 2020 at 10:23am:
billy the kid wrote on May 22nd, 2020 at 10:08am:
on top of it.....

THATS WHAT I THINK I AM NOT A NSW COPPER..

see the attached link...

MY TWO SON IN LAWS WERE COPPERS.. Roll Eyes

one is still in the AFP but hes Forensics...
olus one daughter worked 30 yrs in the AFP

you mentioned living next door to one.... Roll Eyesnothing else !now you seem to have met all kinds...you do know they are human dont you????? and have as many warts as any other human.

so no I am not lecturing at all... but I would think I have more knowledge of the inside workings of both the AFP and NSW policing.....and all its dramas and faults...

So now you are turning this into a pissing contest as to who knows more about the Police....you don't know me....
Waste of time talking to you.....

IP Logged

Prime Minister for Canyons
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #87 - May 22nd, 2020 at 12:20pm

Basically Billy the kid wants the ability to bludge on his employers time 5 days a week

In a time of universal deceit — telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

No evidence whatsoever it can be attributed to George Orwell or Eric Arthur Blair (in fact the same guy)

IP Logged

billy the kid

Australian Politics

Reply #88 - May 22nd, 2020 at 1:03pm

Prime Minister for Canyons wrote on May 22nd, 2020 at 12:20pm:
Basically Billy the kid wants the ability to bludge on his employers time 5 days a week

Where did I say that...

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #89 - May 22nd, 2020 at 1:40pm

greggerypeccary wrote on May 22nd, 2020 at 6:40am:
Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on May 22nd, 2020 at 1:25am:

Jesus Christ, why do you guys have so much trouble understanding this?

You used to work five days, and get paid 38 hours.

Switching to a four day week means you work four longer days, and still get paid 38 hours.

You don't get an extra day's pay - you get the exact same pay.

Basic maths.

Five day week: work 7.6 hours per day, paid for 38 hours.

Four day week: work 9.5 hours per day, paid for 38 hours.

Roll Eyes

Ah - much better... thank you, O Enlightened One...

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 
Send Topic Print