Aging Population (Read 4862 times)
Valkie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Central Coast
Re: Aging Population
Reply #75 - May 27th, 2020 at 5:51am

I am a baby boomer.

I have worked since I was 15 years old, paid taxes from that day forward.

I have contributed to super all that time and watched as it was eaten away by the greedy base turds running the various funds.

List 10 years worth because some animal stole our whole companies super and skipped.
If I ever find him, I will keep him alive for as long as humanly possible while torturing him, sans legs and arms, just for fun.

I bought a house when interest rates were 18%
Raised children without grubberment handouts.
Have never been "eligable" for any grubberment handout in my life.

But I worked hard, advanced myself and saved.
I now own everything I have, which is quite enough, thank you.

I have a good super account.
But I'm retiring soon, 5 years before the grubberment says I should.
I will deplete some of my super, enough to finally be eligable for a part pension.
I will be deeply engaged in working after my retirement.
Working on whatever schemes, handouts or benifits I can find to claw back some of the millions I have paid in taxes over my lifetime.

The grubberment owes me

I WANT MY SHARE

I HAVE A DREAM
A WONDERFUL, PEACEFUL, BEAUTIFUL DREAM.
A DREAM OF A WORLD THAT HAS NEVER KNOWN ISLAM
A DREAM OF A WORLD FREE FROM THE HORRORS OF ISLAM.

SUCH A WONDERFUL DREAM
O HOW I WISH IT WERE TRU

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #76 - May 27th, 2020 at 7:35am

UnSubRocky wrote on May 22nd, 2020 at 12:25am:
Gnads wrote on May 21st, 2020 at 5:54pm:

Your tax being given to Baby Boomers? Grin

Most of them paid shyte loads more tax than you have up til now.

They paid taxes for all the dole bludgers up until they retired.

Those who had superannuation have self funded their retirement .... so it's not your tax they get.

Not all of them go out & blow all their super just to get the pension.

They raised & educated ungrateful arseholes like you.

How many times have you been unemployed & on the dole?

Have you ever been the recipient of any other govt. allowances/rebates?

I doubt that I have paid close to enough income tax in the last 24 years to cover the yearly income of a McDonalds store manager -- Heck, perhaps not even enough to cover the expenses of a part-time customer service person on the grocery checkouts. So, I doubt that I would be covering the costs of funding a retiree on a pension for very long into their retirement. That is not the point.

And to answer your question about receiving government allowances: Yes, I have had received government Youth Allowance and Newstart Allowances for the last 21 of the 24 years that I have worked. But, I can be forgiven for being on the partial dole for that amount of time, seeing that I have worked and have had to contend with a mental illness for the last 15 years. I have also worked full-time hours where the most I have earned was about 1700 inside a week. But the full-time hours only lasted 5 of the 24 years of my working life. So, it is not like I am some kind of parasite. I will start feeling that way if I give up my job or can't afford my retirement in my old age.

You have to admit that the Baby Boomers have had a pretty sweet ride over the last 70 years. Only the elder part of that generation had to worry about the idea of conscription into the army for the Vietnam War. And I suppose only the prolonged recession we had in the late 1980s and early 1990s was something that I would not want to endure. Beyond those issues, I could not imagine that the BBs were having all that much trouble with financial stress or home affordability, etc. Yet, we are now going to have to put up with most of them not able to afford retirement because they are too young to have had to save up enough super or are just entitled to the pension and a longer life expectancy than their parents.

And it is not like I have not done anything for this country that should exclude me being labelled a "parasite" on society. I will be the one to decide when that label should be affixed to me. As for BBs paying for dole bludgers, that must have been back in the days when getting the dole was so easy. In high school, we would joke about just going on the dole for years and wait for our opportunities with work. But, the reality was that we could not become "professional students" or hand in job search forms about a list of places we could work. We now have to do mutual obligation studies. If you were not in university or TAFE, you were doing some form of training. As such, and I wish I had tried this 20 years ago, I can work in the hospital or the aged care (pffft!) industry. And if I reacquire my motivation to learn information technology, probably something applicable indoors (but, not with my current attitude as stated).

Old people are retiring after having years working in a job that was guaranteed for them after completing year 10. My generation has had to stay on to finish high school, and then do some sort of tertiary education in a field that is screaming for employees.

My uncle retired from the mining industry a few years ago. He had the sense to invest in renting out homes. And now that he has retired, he decided to sell off a few homes (including one to my brother) and just rent out a few other homes to supplement his retirement savings. Mum worked in a white-collar job since her early 20s. But she has progressed so far that she has also gotten a 6-figure yearly salary. From what she tells me, she has enough savings to keep going until her 90s.

Actually, after 10 minutes of typing this, what is your point? I doubt that you do much more than I do. And off the record, you would have not have been as constructive as I.

Grin You just proved my point.

What you've written is purely assumption.... & in places laughable.

I've retired. So I guess I am now doing as much as you've done for most of your life = SFA.

After 46 years of shift work I'd say you haven't even scratched the surface at being constructive or comparable.

I'm buggered if I know how being unemployed more than working, being a fat couch potato when you're young, siring children indiscriminately & thinking you're a Don Juan is being constructive.

I think your attitude then & now is why you haven't held a steady job. I don't think you've ever wanted one.

No one had or has a guarantee of a job.

You using your mutual obligations for collecting the dole as an example of how tough you're doing or were doing is a joke.

Money for nothing & your chicks for free ey?

Your Uncle & your Mum have worked for what they have or will have in their retirement ... are you jealous?

Do you express your anti-Baby Boomer thoughts to them?

Bet you can't wait for Mum to retire to get her super ... I bet you expect her to hand you some.

But for Boomers you wouldn't be here.

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #77 - May 27th, 2020 at 7:36am

Valkie wrote on May 27th, 2020 at 5:51am:
I am a baby boomer.

I have contributed to super all that time and watched as it was eaten away by the greedy base turds running the various funds.

List 10 years worth because some animal stole our whole companies super and skipped.
If I ever find him, I will keep him alive for as long as humanly possible while torturing him, sans legs and arms, just for fun.

I will deplete some of my super, enough to finally be eligable for a part pension.
Working on whatever schemes, handouts or benifits I can find to claw back some of the millions I have paid in taxes over my lifetime.

The grubberment owes me

I WANT MY SHARE

Hi Valkie,
There were many times in my job that I created far more GST tax
for the Govt. than I ever got paid myself.
I wish I could have got a 10% bonus on the value of every job I did -
I would have $millions in the bank.
I also want to retire early so I can at least get some of my money back.

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #78 - May 27th, 2020 at 7:46am

UnSubRocky wrote on May 27th, 2020 at 2:56am:
Ye Grappler,

I will have to tell you my motivation behind my choice of words on this topic. I have basically done nothing considerable in terms of a job. I went to high school. Studied as casually as I could to get through school. And I did not even have a casual job until I was 17 years old... post-graduation. Since then, I have studied at university and TAFE on and off since 1997. Perhaps doing a couple of courses in TAFE and a couple of degrees in university (one of which was only half-way finished). So, I perhaps have about 25 years of full-time formal and voluntary education under my belt. Basically, I am overeducated/underemployed. And since 2010, I have been half-heartedly looking for work, whilst working part-time and a few months worth of full-time work.

Basically, I hold a bit of a grudge against the older generations who could walk into a full-time job after finishing high school at age 15. Dad happened to get an apprenticeship at 15 and then got his full-time work at 18. Mum finished high school, and got her own traineeship for a few years until she graduated. Now, both worked full-time jobs until I was conceived. Mum had to give up work whilst she had me and my two siblings. Then she went back to work and made her way in seniority up to a good-paying job. She is now considered invaluable along with her colleagues.

Meanwhile, I get stuck in a casual job so long that I am not really employable by the time I turned 25. And 16 years later, I can only say that my TAFE courses and traineeship has been the only thing to make me employable in a job that I will get for people around my age and employability -- and I don't mean fry-cook or taxi driver. As far as the community is concerned, I have not paid much in tax. And I will probably be seen as a parasite if I can qualify for the pension. My superannuation is so modest, that I might only be able to afford to retire for 10 years before it runs out. I don't expect to live beyond 75, so that might not be such an issue.

And whilst I cannot say that I deserve a pension more than other people, I doubt that we really need to be paying for people who retire before they turn 65 years of age. Plus, with the extended life expectancies seen in the last 30 years, I would expect those people who want to retire at 65 to keep working until they are at least 70. I want to keep working for another 30 years before I retire. But, I would only consider working if I am physically able to keep working. I expect that of anyone born after 1960. Dad actually gets my respect for continuing his working after retiring from his job a few years back. Like I said, he works part-time now. That's after working 47 years full-time (longer than I have been alive).

As for "certain ethnicities" getting paid more than the general public: I have actually heard a politician tell me in very uncertain terms that certain ethnicities get paid more in welfare per person than other ethnicities. And that does not take into consideration the higher unemployment rates among that ethnicities. Makes you wonder if that $60 billion in extra help money consists of $20 billion in extra welfare payments and $40 billion being pissed up against the wall for one reason or the other.

Yep I was right .... bad attitude, jealousy & you really didn't want to work.

Fancy having that attitude towards your parents. Grin

The biggest disappointment ey?

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #79 - May 27th, 2020 at 8:56am

Sweet ride for 70 years?

One day at real work would cure you of that misconception...

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #80 - May 27th, 2020 at 3:12pm

Gnads wrote on May 27th, 2020 at 7:35am:
Grin You just proved my point.

What you've written is purely assumption.... & in places laughable.

I've retired. So I guess I am now doing as much as you've done for most of your life = SFA.

After 46 years of shift work I'd say you haven't even scratched the surface at being constructive or comparable.

I'm buggered if I know how being unemployed more than working, being a fat couch potato when you're young, siring children indiscriminately & thinking you're a Don Juan is being constructive.

I think your attitude then & now is why you haven't held a steady job. I don't think you've ever wanted one.

No one had or has a guarantee of a job.

You using your mutual obligations for collecting the dole as an example of how tough you're doing or were doing is a joke.

Money for nothing & your chicks for free ey?

Your Uncle & your Mum have worked for what they have or will have in their retirement ... are you jealous?

Do you express your anti-Baby Boomer thoughts to them?

Bet you can't wait for Mum to retire to get her super ... I bet you expect her to hand you some.

You could probably work another 46 years in a do-over life and you would not have come close to saving the government money as I have. That is part of the reason why I was motivated to talk about getting slobs off the dole.

I am not going to go into details and I don't want to name names for the sake of anonymity. But, you do not know how hard my life has been or what has happened. And you probably do not realise how lucky you are compared to what I have gone through.

It has only been the last 14 years that I have had recognition for my part in helping elevate Australia economically. Some government officials have said that they concede I have probably earned the right to back pay equivalent to that of $400,000 in the last 20 years. But, like you, they have said that since I have been sitting on welfare for the last 20 years, I should probably not complain too much about not getting anything.

Actually, I have held a job (even at a minimum a few hours a week) since I was 17 years old. And I have probably only been unemployed a total of 1 year since I have been an adult. The last job offer I was offered involved me having to change who I was and leaving behind a better and more meaningful life for some schitt conditions but good pay. In that sense, I suppose I would be better off staying in my part-time work part-welfare lifestyle. But, at least I have a job opportunity coming up in June.

As for my children, why bother bringing them into question? I have no rights to their upbringing. A few of them were conceived before I had the right to consentual sex. And most of them were sperm donations after I reached adulthood -- some of whom I have met. (Apparently, the blonde/blond trait was sought after in some women's desire for children). Not that it really matters. You might have stroked it to one of my daughters featured as a bikini model. And my other more famous daughter happened to feature at one of the past international athletics comps. Apart from one bad apple in the bunch, my children have tended to be decent people.

And my question to you is how many times have you had a knife held to your throat; been assaulted; had false rape allegations held against you; been subjected to considerable sexual, religious, racial discrimination; and even been the subject of a number of police investigations as a result of such? Because, as I see it, that does ADD to the HINDRANCE of getting or maintaining a job of worth.

The only thing anti-baby boomer that I have probably been interpreted as saying is that I think we should not have been in lock down since day one.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #81 - May 27th, 2020 at 3:13pm

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on May 27th, 2020 at 8:56am:
Sweet ride for 70 years?

Like those 10 to 14 hour days I did as a casual some years back? Or do you mean that I do not know what an 8 or 9 hour shift is like? I really am not that naive.

IP Logged

Valkie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Central Coast
Reply #82 - May 27th, 2020 at 7:15pm

Bobby. wrote on May 27th, 2020 at 7:36am:
Valkie wrote on May 27th, 2020 at 5:51am:
I am a baby boomer.

The grubberment owes me

I WANT MY SHARE

Hi Valkie,
There were many times in my job that I created far more GST tax
for the Govt. than I ever got paid myself.
I wish I could have got a 10% bonus on the value of every job I did -
I would have $millions in the bank.
I also want to retire early so I can at least get some of my money back.

The grubberment lied to me right though my years of gainful employment.

They told me that if I worked and paid taxes, i could retire at 65 with a pension.

Well, they lied, now it's 67, but more fool them, I'm pulling the plug at 62 and using up enough of my super to be eligable for my wistfully deserved pension.

But these younger generation don't like it.
They think I'm getting something I don't deserve.
They base this on themselves, and I agree, they don't deserve anything.

I started work at 15............they stay at home, "studying" until they are well into their 20s
I moved out of home and started a family at 20..........they don't like the idea of families, they are too selfish
I saved and scrimped to by my first home, working 3 jobs to get a deposit.........they hold their hands out and demand, beg and cry for money.
I purchased second hand cars, furniture,  even clothing to save money........they want everything new, new cars, new everything.
I taught myself to repair, service and look after my possessions.......they just go out and buy new stuff and complain when the car breaks down.

They say we had it easy, that houses were cheap.
Bull shite
I got married on a tradesman wage of a princely $84.00 a week.
From that I paid $32.00 rent and about $20.00 tax, leaving me a wonderful $32.00 to feed, and cloth a young family.

Later when we were ready to consider buying a house.
They were around $180,000.00 and above.
My wage then had risen to a managers wage of about $150.00 a week, do the math.
Banks wouldn't give you a loan without a good deposit, and no one I know ever got the "first home buyers grant".
To be eligable for this grubberment grant, no bank would touch you because you didn't earn enough to pay a loan back.
Probably public serve us employees had special deals which made it work, but us working stiffs go no leeway.

In my other jobs, I was taxed at the top rate, because you couldn't just add all your earnings and get a tax on the lot.
You were taxed max amount for any jobs you did and could only claim on one.
Cash in hand was hard to get, but great when you could.

Cars were expensive, even second hand cars cost several months wages.
Not quality either, mot cars were very unreliable using points and distributors, carboys and some very primitive engines.
They weighed a ton, very heavy and they were very thirsty.
Repairs were invariably expensive, unless you did it yourself, many learned young how to fix the car.

The roads were even worse than they are today (yes that is possible)
Our family used to travel from Sydney to the central coast for holidays.
8 to  hours was quite common, one lane roads and broken down cars taking their toll.
That same trip now can be done in 1 and 1/2 hours most days.

Technology didn't exist.
No computers
My first couple of cars didn't even have radios.
Air conditioning ?  What's that.
Mobile phones yeah, right.
We didn't even have a phone in the house, we used the phone box on the corner.

We lived from week to week, most times going without because we had no money.
Never had a holiday, once I was married, count afford one.
Overseas travel? A dream, nothing more.
I was 19 before I had my first restaurant meal.
23 before I stayed in my first motel.

Life was tough, but we were tougher.

Not like the poor little pussies today who cry if their internet is down.

I HAVE A DREAM

SUCH A WONDERFUL DREAM
O HOW I WISH IT WERE TRU

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #83 - May 27th, 2020 at 9:30pm

The house I reside in currently is not worth $180,000. Some of the pieces of crap houses around here are worth $100,000 at best (according to real estate websites). And the demeanour where I live and the type of house and yard I maintain does not make this place look all that inviting. I would say that a house in the 1980s would probably market for about $20,000. Maybe 30,000 if it was decent. Probably worth up to $300,000 in today's terms if the valuation depends on a well kept and maintained place.

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #84 - May 27th, 2020 at 9:37pm

UnSubRocky wrote on May 27th, 2020 at 3:13pm:
Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on May 27th, 2020 at 8:56am:
Sweet ride for 70 years?

Like those 10 to 14 hour days I did as a casual some years back? Or do you mean that I do not know what an 8 or 9 hour shift is like? I really am not that naive.

Try on call 24/7/365 - never seeing family at Christmas and New Year etc, and easily averaging 100+ hours a week.. yes the money was good - about the equivalent of a back-bencher's salary - but I did my bit for it, let me tell you - on the feet and outside in any weather.  And how many times did I get home to get the call to come back. I did that for 13 years - nobody looking at me today would believe it - but my cardiac condition shows it.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #85 - May 27th, 2020 at 9:49pm

Ye Grappler, you are one of those people who have done the hard yards and you have my respect. I think I have had one week where I actually worked every day and did up to 60 hours. Then there were those weeks when I did a month of 200 hours (including that 60 hours).

I have not seen work hours that long since, because of the generous payments we get at work these days. But, I would like to get back to doing between 35 and 50 hours a week work hours, just to get off of 20 hours a week and partial welfare and actually make some savings.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #86 - May 27th, 2020 at 10:09pm

Valkie wrote on May 27th, 2020 at 7:15pm:

They told me that if I worked and paid taxes, i could retire at 65 with a pension.

Well, they lied, now it's 67, but more fool them, I'm pulling the plug at 62 and using up enough of my super to be eligable for my wistfully deserved pension.

I started work at 15............they stay at home, "studying" until they are well into their 20s
I moved out of home and started a family at 20..........they don't like the idea of families, they are too selfish
I saved and scrimped to by my first home, working 3 jobs to get a deposit.........they hold their hands out and demand, beg and cry for money.
I purchased second hand cars, furniture,  even clothing to save money........they want everything new, new cars, new everything.
I taught myself to repair, service and look after my possessions.......they just go out and buy new stuff and complain when the car breaks down.

Bull shite
From that I paid $32.00 rent and about $20.00 tax, leaving me a wonderful $32.00 to feed, and cloth a young family.

Banks wouldn't give you a loan without a good deposit, and no one I know ever got the "first home buyers grant".
To be eligable for this grubberment grant, no bank would touch you because you didn't earn enough to pay a loan back.
Probably public serve us employees had special deals which made it work, but us working stiffs go no leeway.

In my other jobs, I was taxed at the top rate, because you couldn't just add all your earnings and get a tax on the lot.

Not quality either, mot cars were very unreliable using points and distributors, carboys and some very primitive engines.
Repairs were invariably expensive, unless you did it yourself, many learned young how to fix the car.

8 to  hours was quite common, one lane roads and broken down cars taking their toll.

Technology didn't exist.
No computers

We had it tough - not like these pansies now:

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #87 - May 28th, 2020 at 12:43am

UnSubRocky wrote on May 27th, 2020 at 9:49pm:
Ye Grappler, you are one of those people who have done the hard yards and you have my respect. I think I have had one week where I actually worked every day and did up to 60 hours. Then there were those weeks when I did a month of 200 hours (including that 60 hours).

I have not seen work hours that long since, because of the generous payments we get at work these days. But, I would like to get back to doing between 35 and 50 hours a week work hours, just to get off of 20 hours a week and partial welfare and actually make some savings.

I truly wish the genuine opportunities to work and to prosper as much as you want were there for everyone, and I think overtime worked should receive a tax concession, not a penalty.

― John Adams

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #88 - May 28th, 2020 at 12:49am

Bobby. wrote on May 27th, 2020 at 10:09pm:
Valkie wrote on May 27th, 2020 at 7:15pm:

Bull shite

Technology didn't exist.
No computers

We had it tough - not like these pansies now:

'an 'ad ter pay... PAY mill orner to coom ter work!

― John Adams

IP Logged

Valkie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Central Coast
Reply #89 - May 28th, 2020 at 5:44am

UnSubRocky wrote on May 27th, 2020 at 9:30pm:
The house I reside in currently is not worth $180,000. Some of the pieces of crap houses around here are worth $100,000 at best (according to real estate websites). And the demeanour where I live and the type of house and yard I maintain does not make this place look all that inviting. I would say that a house in the 1980s would probably market for about $20,000. Maybe 30,000 if it was decent. Probably worth up to $300,000 in today's terms if the valuation depends on a well kept and maintained place.

Where the he'll do you live?

In the 80s, when I bought my first house, Sydney was impossible.
Most houses were 180k plus.
Out west you could pick them up for under 100k, but they needed work.

We bought on the central coast, the cheapest at the time.
My home cost me 70k.

10 years ago, my father's home in Sydney sold for 3/4 million, it was a two bedroom semi, tiny by any standards.
I seriously doubt you could pick up anything in Sydney for under 1 mil today.
Even on the central coast, where I live, the going rate is 300k plus for a basic hovel.

But wages today are far superior.
Even a base wage is 50k plus.
With both partners working 100k plus is very achievable, and as two working, they pay less tax than someone earning the same as a single wage.

I would have loved to be earning then what I earn now.
I'd buy a dozen houses.

On my income now, I could pay off a new house in 3 years, without other expenses.

When I bought, it was 10 years.

And interest rates, I paid 18%

What's it now?  3 or 4%.

Gee, the kids today have it easy
All they need to do is get off their arses.
Work instead of whyning
Save instead of wasting
Accept less instead of the best.

And respect those who have done it tough.

I HAVE A DREAM

SUCH A WONDERFUL DREAM
O HOW I WISH IT WERE TRU

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9
Send Topic Print