Send Topic Print
Aging Population (Read 4865 times)
Fuzzball
Gold Member

Australia
Re: Aging Population
Reply #15 - May 17th, 2020 at 8:49am

Jasin wrote on May 17th, 2020 at 12:59am:
3.7 million Oldies sucking up the Taxpayer's money.
600,000 Unemployed now sucking up the Taxpayer's money.
Population of something like 24 million I think.

How many 'Oldies' over 65 don't need to 'go fund' themselves with a Taxpayer paid Pension?

How many of the Working Sector is 'Working'?

...let's look in the positive here people.  Wink

And when you reach their age (dog willing), what makes you any more entitled to the Age Pension than they are?

Would you be a guard on an 'Old People' death camp Jasin?

Life's Journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting,
"Holy Sh!t ... What a Ride!"

IP Logged

The_Barnacle
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #16 - May 17th, 2020 at 10:32am

Sir Spot of Borg wrote on May 16th, 2020 at 1:44pm:
The_Barnacle wrote on May 16th, 2020 at 1:08pm:
Sir Spot of Borg wrote on May 16th, 2020 at 12:21pm:
The_Barnacle wrote on May 16th, 2020 at 12:18pm:
Sir Spot of Borg wrote on May 16th, 2020 at 9:39am:
Quote:
There were 486,847 people over the age of 85 living in the Australia in 2016, with largest age group being 30 to 34 year olds.

https://profile.id.com.au/australia/five-year-age-groups

Seriously? All this fuss and pension age going up over such a small number?

Your post makes no sense
Why quote a figure for 85 year olds as part of an argument involving 65 - 67 year olds?

Using your own link there are currently 3,676,783 people in Australia over the age of 65

Yeah 15.7 % - i quoted that bit because it was the over 85s - not as many as you would expect since we are supposed to be "living longer". Living longer than what middle ages?

How many would you expect?
Increased life expectancy is mostly the result of less people dying as children.

Quote:
Overall, when we are comparing between today and the past 200 years, human life expectancy has increased exponentially because of : More children survive during childhood and past the age of 5 thanks to vaccination, better nutrition, safer and cleaner living condition, and advance medical treatments.
https://www.futuresplatform.com/blog/will-we-live-longer-future

From when?

What is the point you are trying to make spot?
You started this thread so can you at least be honest and clearly state what your point is?

The Right Wing only believe in free speech when they agree with what is being said.

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #17 - May 17th, 2020 at 11:21am

"It is ascertained that in civilised communities, one-fourth part of the human race who are born, die before attaining their first year; more than one-third before arriving at five years of age, and before the age of twenty, one half of the human race, it is supposed, cease to exist."

. The Sanitary Condition of the Labouring Population of New York, January, 1845.

You would all do well to remember such figures during any discussion of history, not least of all that of Indigenous populations, where the rates were considerably higher.

Now - where were we?

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

aquascoot
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #18 - May 17th, 2020 at 6:05pm

Gnads wrote on May 17th, 2020 at 7:33am:
Yeah f#*kem

just throw them out on the ice to die. Roll Eyes

No wonder growing old can become a thing of fear for some

we have more concern for & treat our animals better than we treat our elderly.

Shameful really.

we certainly do.

letting people pass away very slowly and painfully and with no dignity (and now if you get covid , you get to die alone).

i would never , in a million years, let an animal of mine die in that way

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #19 - May 17th, 2020 at 6:47pm

Only the Pleb and Prole Elderly enter Aged Care Facilities.
Dumped by Families who don't want to take responsibility or those who just can't afford to keep them home (Charlie of the Chocolate Factory could).
Most Plebs (Housos) don't live a healthy life and they need high care in the end. Most Proles (Bogans) can't afford to live a healthy life, but healthier than Plebs.

A lot of Elderly are well looked after by families directly or by being able to afford Support Workers and Carers.
It is better to be able to be looked after in your own home.
But with so many Children of the Elderly working with Real Estate Agents in kicking out their oldies to sell the House as soon as they can prove their parents can't look after themselves and need to be placed in an Aged Care Facility.
Purely $$$ reasons.

So many Elderly, especially in Rural & Regional areas can live long healthy lifestyles and some get around better than a lot of middle-aged adults.

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #20 - May 17th, 2020 at 9:06pm

aquascoot wrote on May 17th, 2020 at 5:45am:
a couple of facts to consider

The youngest Baby Boomers are 56 years old this year. The eldest Baby Boomers are 74 years old this year. The last 10 years just got away from me. But, I figure that I still have at least another 40 years before I could even consider a nursing home as an option. But I don't want to live in a nursing home.

I don't think I will die of old age. I want to be as useful for as long as I can for as much as I want. And then when I get old to the point that I feel that I have no use, I will probably be euthanised of my own making. Perhaps from an overuse of scotch one night. But, there is plenty of time for me to change my mind.

I am actually looking to have my diabetes cured in the next couple of years. It is not too late for me to reverse the damage. But, no matter how healthy I get in my old age, if I am no use to society, I don't want to be a burden on the pension or the health system.

From what little I know about the aged care (from what I witnessed on my practical), elderly people have a bit of an attitude -- good and bad. They understand that they are in their final years. Some are very mobile for their years. And some of them are lovely. But, then we have those that have an attitude. It gets to be difficult to like the elderly when the workers at nursing homes have to put up with abuse and not be allowed to retaliate. I developed gerontophobia just from one week doing a practical in one nursing home. Unfortunately, that has just pushed my desire to not live to be reliant on other people in my own old age.

IP Logged

Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Reply #21 - May 18th, 2020 at 4:41am

The_Barnacle wrote on May 17th, 2020 at 10:32am:
Quote:
There were 486,847 people over the age of 85 living in the Australia in 2016, with largest age group being 30 to 34 year olds.

Your post makes no sense
Why quote a figure for 85 year olds as part of an argument involving 65 - 67 year olds?

Using your own link there are currently 3,676,783 people in Australia over the age of 65

Yeah 15.7 % - i quoted that bit because it was the over 85s - not as many as you would expect since we are supposed to be "living longer". Living longer than what middle ages?

Increased life expectancy is mostly the result of less people dying as children.

Quote:
Overall, when we are comparing between today and the past 200 years, human life expectancy has increased exponentially because of : More children survive during childhood and past the age of 5 thanks to vaccination, better nutrition, safer and cleaner living condition, and advance medical treatments.

From when?

You started this thread so can you at least be honest and clearly state what your point is?

What do you think im not being honest about?

I pretty much said what i meant in the op. Theres a lot of fuss about how theres so many old ppl and we are "living longer" when there is no date given of when we are living longer than and theres not that many old ppl in comparison to young ppl.

The govts spent our pensions and are blaming us for it. Most ppl over 65 are getting old and no way they can get a job anymore.

Spot
Spot

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
- edited by some unethical admin - you think its funny? - its a slippery slope
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

Valkie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Central Coast
Reply #22 - May 18th, 2020 at 5:59am

This thread is the perfect example of the selfish generation.

We want, but the oldies are nothing to us.

I just wish I could live long enough to see how the selfish generation will go

When they realise that their support of age bashing will come back to bite them.

When they realise that the pension no longer exists

When they realise that their super will be worth back shite.

When the new younger generation see them as worthless and out of date.

Suddenly it will all be clear to the just how much of a ride they have been taken for.

Sadly, I'll be dead by then.

I HAVE A DREAM
A WONDERFUL, PEACEFUL, BEAUTIFUL DREAM.
A DREAM OF A WORLD THAT HAS NEVER KNOWN ISLAM
A DREAM OF A WORLD FREE FROM THE HORRORS OF ISLAM.

SUCH A WONDERFUL DREAM
O HOW I WISH IT WERE TRU

IP Logged

aquascoot
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #23 - May 18th, 2020 at 6:10am

UnSubRocky wrote on May 17th, 2020 at 9:06pm:
aquascoot wrote on May 17th, 2020 at 5:45am:
a couple of facts to consider

The youngest Baby Boomers are 56 years old this year. The eldest Baby Boomers are 74 years old this year. The last 10 years just got away from me. But, I figure that I still have at least another 40 years before I could even consider a nursing home as an option. But I don't want to live in a nursing home.

I don't think I will die of old age. I want to be as useful for as long as I can for as much as I want. And then when I get old to the point that I feel that I have no use, I will probably be euthanised of my own making. Perhaps from an overuse of scotch one night. But, there is plenty of time for me to change my mind.

I am actually looking to have my diabetes cured in the next couple of years. It is not too late for me to reverse the damage. But, no matter how healthy I get in my old age, if I am no use to society, I don't want to be a burden on the pension or the health system.

From what little I know about the aged care (from what I witnessed on my practical), elderly people have a bit of an attitude -- good and bad. They understand that they are in their final years. Some are very mobile for their years. And some of them are lovely. But, then we have those that have an attitude. It gets to be difficult to like the elderly when the workers at nursing homes have to put up with abuse and not be allowed to retaliate. I developed gerontophobia just from one week doing a practical in one nursing home. Unfortunately, that has just pushed my desire to not live to be reliant on other people in my own old age.

Unsub

A very thoughtful and well put together post

It would indeed be a marvelous idea that all Australians should do 7 days a year working in an aged care facility so that they can reflect on what they are doing with their lives while they still have full capacity

IP Logged

aquascoot
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #24 - May 18th, 2020 at 6:19am

Valkie wrote on May 18th, 2020 at 5:59am:
This thread is the perfect example of the selfish generation.

We want, but the oldies are nothing to us.

I just wish I could live long enough to see how the selfish generation will go

When they realise that their support of age bashing will come back to bite them.

When they realise that the pension no longer exists

When they realise that their super will be worth back shite.

When the new younger generation see them as worthless and out of date.

Suddenly it will all be clear to the just how much of a ride they have been taken for.

Sadly, I'll be dead by then.

I actually think that we are now entering the phase where most elderly people have been raised in the nanny state

If you are around to fight in world war 2 you truly understood the need to be a contributor to your country and not a taker
The welfare state really commenced in the 50s
With the ideas like public housing
Free healthcare in England
Massive expansion of the government as the ever breastfeeding mother figure to a nation of babies

So those people would now be entering their 80s

These are people who have got used to the idea
that the government is responsible to them in some shape or form
From cradle to grave

There is the odd independent man who walks the narrow path to success
But if the overarching principal of Western democracy for everyone who has been raised in the last 80 years
Is that you can always blame the government
and if you have a problem it is the government's responsibility to solve that for you

This has led to the state of perpetual infancy for the vast majority of people who won't do the brutal work of attaining an independent attitude to their life

It's just so much easier to follow the path of least resistance

Thus almost all westerners under the age of 80
Have the following default position

I'm sad
I've got a problem
When I was a a child mumma used to solve my problem for me
Are you my mummy Scott Morrison
Help me Scott help me
I have no resilience
I have no desire to solve problems on my own
I merely lay these problems at your feet
And it is my intention to complain really loudly if you don't solve them for me

That's probably 90% of the population

Their issue is that in old age
There is absolutely nothing the government can do
To reduce their existential suffering

And so they become bitter and resentful about the fact that they are going to die
Which is certainly a problem
It's certainly quite an annoying fact to confront
And they have no path forward to deal with that realisation

Hence they become angry and lash out
That probably would not have been the emotional state of most elderly people 30 years ago
But that is very likely to be the emotional state of most elderly people from now on

IP Logged

Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Reply #25 - May 18th, 2020 at 6:28am

So what are governments for then? If not to implement the will of the people (which they dont)?

Ppl from that era needed a helping hand because of the great depression. Its happening again.

Spot

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
- edited by some unethical admin - you think its funny? - its a slippery slope
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

aquascoot
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #26 - May 18th, 2020 at 6:41am

Sir Spot of Borg wrote on May 18th, 2020 at 6:28am:
So what are governments for then? If not to implement the will of the people (which they dont)?

Ppl from that era needed a helping hand because of the great depression. Its happening again.

Spot

Governments should be there to ensure that you have the right to live a creative and free life full of responsibility and contribution with as little interference from government as possible

this would be the attitude that a responsible parent has to a 16 year old child
Get out there into the world
Stand up straight
Go on some adventures
Fail a bunch of times but keep on trying
We will be here for you as a safety net
But we expect so much more from you then that you stay at home
Doing nothing risking nothing creating nothing and contributing nothing

Unfortunately people will always find the above narrative a challenge
And if there is a way to never leave the nest
The majority of people will seek an authority figure
To comfort them to their bosom
For their entire life

One could make the case that the increasing
Nanny state
where people are not expected to live independent lives
And indeed can take very little responsibility for their lives
Is doing people a lot of harm

Because if you are never made to confront your fears
And take responsibility for your own path forward

You are going to hit old age
With the emotional maturity of a young child

And that's not going to make old age very enjoyable for you
You're probably lash out and have tantrums
Become easily upset
Be unable to calm your worries
Be unable to self soothe
You will probably use guilt trips on your children
You may well become passive-aggressive

All the behaviours we expect from a child
but which we expect the child to master as they become an adult

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #27 - May 18th, 2020 at 7:28am

Fuzzball wrote on May 17th, 2020 at 8:49am:
Jasin wrote on May 17th, 2020 at 12:59am:
3.7 million Oldies sucking up the Taxpayer's money.
600,000 Unemployed now sucking up the Taxpayer's money.
Population of something like 24 million I think.

How many 'Oldies' over 65 don't need to 'go fund' themselves with a Taxpayer paid Pension?

How many of the Working Sector is 'Working'?

...let's look in the positive here people.  Wink

And when you reach their age (dog willing), what makes you any more entitled to the Age Pension than they are?

Would you be a guard on an 'Old People' death camp Jasin?

Yes Fuzzy.
I am the harbinger of Death.

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #28 - May 18th, 2020 at 7:30am

Lose Old People.
You lose 'Culture' for your Youth.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #29 - May 18th, 2020 at 11:57am

Sir Spot of Borg wrote on May 18th, 2020 at 4:41am:
The_Barnacle wrote on May 17th, 2020 at 10:32am:
Quote:

Your post makes no sense

Quote:

From when?

What do you think im not being honest about?

I pretty much said what i meant in the op. Theres a lot of fuss about how theres so many old ppl and we are "living longer" when there is no date given of when we are living longer than and theres not that many old ppl in comparison to young ppl.

The govts spent our pensions and are blaming us for it. Most ppl over 65 are getting old and no way they can get a job anymore.

Spot
Spot

Our life expectancy has been going up each generation for centuries. So pick any date. Apparently the current crop may be the first to see their life expectancy go down, particularly in America, due to obesity etc.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 9
Send Topic Print