Fake News (Read 545 times)
Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Fake News
May 13th, 2020 at 11:04am

Which sources are actually fake news?

Heres and article on how some of them do it (spoofing legitimate news sites)

https://www.forbes.com/sites/christopherelliott/2019/02/21/these-are-the-real-fa...

Anyone with any intelligence at all can usually tell unless its really well done (which it usually isnt) but i have noticed some here cannot.

IMO best way to tell at a glance is if it doesnt end with .net .com or.org and theres more letters after that in the domain name.

Spot

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
- edited by some unethical admin - you think its funny? - its a slippery slope
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Fake News
Reply #1 - May 13th, 2020 at 11:07am

can't see your link .. it won't work with my adblocker

can you copy/paste the article?

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Reply #2 - May 13th, 2020 at 11:13am

Quote:
43,070 views|Feb 21, 2019,12:40pm EST
Here Are The Real Fake News Sites
Christopher Elliott
Christopher ElliottContributor
Travel
I'm a consumer advocate. I write about customer service.
The internet is teeming with fake news sites. That's not a political statement, but the conclusion of a new study by DomainTools, a security analysts company.

The new study analyzed some of the top media outlets in the U.S. to determine their susceptibility to domain-squatting and spoofed domains. The bogus URLs may spread disinformation or malicious code, according to DomainTools.

“As distrust of traditional media continues to grow, protecting the public from disinformation campaigns has become pertinent to the democratic process,” says Corin Imai, a senior security advisor of DomainTools.

So which news sites have the highest fake scores? And what does it mean for the average news consumer? You'll probably be surprised by the answers.

fake news site
DomainTools DOMAINTOOLS
Why study fake news sites?

Authenticity and trust are the building blocks of a terrific customer service experience. So, as a consumer advocate, and as a heavy consumer of news, I follow studies like this closely.

Today In: Lifestyle

EXPO CHICAGO Moving From Traditional September Dates To April 2021
Meet British Knitwear Extraordinaire Alex Gore Browne
Remembering U.S. Airlines That Are No Longer With Us
DomainTools' research shows how malicious actors use tricks like typosquatting and spoofing on domains as tactics to carry out malicious campaigns.

Typosquatting, also called URL hijacking, relies on mistakes made by Internet users when typing a website address into a web browser. Spoofing happens when a scammer pretends to be a premium publisher. These criminal activities can potentially extract personally identifiable information, download malware to a device, or spoof news sites to spread disinformation.

PROMOTED

Civic Nation BRANDVOICE | Paid Program
College Signing Day Is For All Students—Especially Transfers
Grads of Life BRANDVOICE | Paid Program
A Diverse Approach To Scale Contact Tracing
UNICEF USA BRANDVOICE | Paid Program
Getting The Word Out In Syria: How To Stop The Spread Of Coronavirus
"It’s no secret that disinformation campaigns have been on the rise," Imai told me. "With the uptick in fake news sites in recent years, we were curious about the possible connection between typosquatting campaigns and the dissemination of disinformation. What we found is that domain names of top news outlets have indeed been spoofed, and subject to typosquatting techniques."

These are the most fake news sites

Among the news site rankings, there are a few surprises. The top news site, for example, is not a national newspaper or a computer-security site but has still managed to draw a record 52 "high risk" domains, according to DomainTools. The "safest" of the sites also fits the same description.

Here's the list of publishers with the most high-risk domains:

1. Newsday (52 historical high-risk domains)

2. The New York Times (49 historical high-risk domains)

3. The Washington Post (20 historical high-risk domains)

4. The New York Post (16 historical high-risk domains)

5. Los Angeles Times (13 historical high-risk domains)

6. New York Daily News (10 historical high-risk domains)

7. USA Today (9 historical high-risk domains)

8. The Boston Globe (6 historical high-risk domains)

9. CSO (5 historical high-risk domains)

10. Chicago Tribune (5 historical high-risk domains)

DomainTools chose an initial list of media organizations based on traffic to the legitimate site.

"We had a hunch that the media organizations with the highest readerships were likely to be more lucrative for scammers seeking to spoof domain names," says Imai. "Our team compiled a list of the top media organizations based on audience size. This methodology gave us not only a set of online properties to investigate, but also a sense of the potential pool of the criminals’ targets."

(Oh, and in case you're wondering -- Forbes didn't make the list. It's squeaky clean.)

Why fake new sites matter

For news consumers, the biggest threat is what's referred to as "typosquatting," according to DomainTools (registering Forbs.it, for example, and posting bogus posts). It's particularly important, considering how frequently users misspell words, and how easy it is to fool even vigilant internet users.

Typosquatters can look legitimate, with legitimate SSL certificates and professional websites, used to trick Internet users into a false sense of security.

The bad guys also re-purpose once valid Internet real-estate, squatting on old, once-legitimate domains. That buys them time to iron out any inconsistencies with their attack infrastructure, allowing them to escape detection, according to DomainTools.

How to avoid fake news sites

Sites that spread disinformation often take advantage of the pace at which users skim the internet and their preferred news sources for breaking news. These campaigns could potentially steal and harvest personally identifiable information, download malware to a device or spoof news sites to spread disinformation to the public, according to DomainTools.

How do you avoid a fake news site?

Spot

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Reply #3 - May 13th, 2020 at 11:13am

Quote:
Think before you click. Hover your mouse over any suspicious domain names or links to find out if they’re legit. "By hovering over a domain name, you’ll be able to get a glimpse to find out if they are who they say they are," says Imai.

Consider bookmarking your favorite news sources. That allows you to avoid misspelling the domain name when typing into the search bar.

Watch out for domains that have COM-[text] in them. "We're so accustomed to seeing .com that we can easily overlook the extra text appended to it with a dash," says Imai.

Go directly to the news source website. Don't follow a link through a newsletter or email.

Stay security savvy. "Remain educated and up-to-date on the latest scams that circulate through the web," says Imai. "Flagging suspicious emails and sending them straight to spam is also another great method to consider when steering clear from unusual activity."

Use a reliable search tool. Type in the name of the news site into Google search instead of into the address field. This will prevent any typos you may make from pulling up a fake site.

Will this change how people consume news?

As part of my research, I asked regular news consumers if the presence of fake news sites would affect their trust in the news media. Would it surprise you to hear that the answer was "no"?

Roughly one-third of my readers said they don't trust any mainstream media outlets, including all the ones for which I write. Ouch. Another third only trusts established mainstream media outlets like this one. And the balance reflected the sentiments of Patricia Seward, a retired health care executive from Kansas City.

"I don’t trust any of the news outlets," she says.

In other words, the DomainTools research, while interesting, is unlikely to change the highly polarized view of the news media in the United States.

Spot

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Reply #4 - May 13th, 2020 at 11:13am

It took 2 posts and FD managed to get 3 ads into it hahaha

Spot

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #5 - May 13th, 2020 at 11:34am

Sir Spot of Borg wrote on May 13th, 2020 at 11:04am:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/christopherelliott/2019/02/21/these-are-the-real-fa...

Anyone with any intelligence at all can usually tell unless its really well done (which it usually isnt) but i have noticed some here cannot.

IMO best way to tell at a glance is if it doesnt end with .net .com or.org and theres more letters after that in the domain name.

Spot

American News has been Fake News for many decades especially when movie star Ronny Reagan began fabricating his Star Wars motion picture.
To edit people being attacked by a USA funded Dictator and make it look like they were Terrorists attacking the victim Dictator trying to make his country great, while he was paid by the USA to keep his country weak as a possible competitor to their national security and economy.

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Reply #6 - May 13th, 2020 at 11:35am

Jasin wrote on May 13th, 2020 at 11:34am:
Sir Spot of Borg wrote on May 13th, 2020 at 11:04am:

Spot

American News has been Fake News for many decades especially when movie star Ronny Reagan began fabricating his Star Wars motion picture.
To edit people being attacked by a USA funded Dictator and make it look like they were Terrorists attacking the victim Dictator trying to make his country great, while he was paid by the USA to keep his country weak as a possible competitor to their national security and economy.

You mean since murdoch moved there?

Spot

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

Carl D
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Rivervale, Perth
Reply #7 - May 13th, 2020 at 11:38am

Thanks, Sir Spot.

John, I use Firefox with NoScript and uBlock Origin (ad blocker) and I have no problem accessing the Forbes site? I did at one stage a few years back but uBlock must have been able to work around it. For now, at least. Always a 'cat and mouse' game with ads and ad blockers.

Anyway, if we hadn't been able to read it I'm sure Richdude and The Mechanic would be able to give us a complete rundown on all the fake news sites since they obviously spend most of each and every day looking at them. Smiley

"Masks are sand in the gears of the economy" - some f-wit pollie or big business CEO.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - May 13th, 2020 at 11:40am

Sir Spot of Borg wrote on May 13th, 2020 at 11:35am:
You mean since murdoch moved there?

Coincidence? Roll Eyes

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - May 13th, 2020 at 11:41am

Carl D wrote on May 13th, 2020 at 11:38am:
Thanks, Sir Spot.

John, I use Firefox with NoScript and uBlock Origin (ad blocker) and I have no problem accessing the Forbes site? I did at one stage a few years back but uBlock must have been able to work around it. For now, at least. Always a 'cat and mouse' game with ads and ad blockers.

Anyway, if we hadn't been able to read it I'm sure Richdude and The Mechanic would be able to give us a complete rundown on all the fake news sites since they obviously spend most of each and every day looking at them. Smiley

the site asked me to turn off my adblocker .. i declined.

Our esteemed leader:

IP Logged

SadKangaroo
Gold Member

#FightStupid

Mianjin (Brisbane)
Reply #10 - May 13th, 2020 at 11:45am

Thanks, Sir Spot.

Haha, yeah, they've really taken the notion of "life is what you make of it" too far and changed it more to "reality is what you make of it".

IP Logged

SadKangaroo
Gold Member

#FightStupid

Mianjin (Brisbane)
Reply #11 - May 13th, 2020 at 11:50am

John Smith wrote on May 13th, 2020 at 11:41am:
Thanks, Sir Spot.

I do that for the Gateway Pundit when investigating their claims.

Yeah nah....

IP Logged

Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Reply #12 - May 13th, 2020 at 11:54am

John Smith wrote on May 13th, 2020 at 11:41am:
Thanks, Sir Spot.

There was a pop-up video - it was annoying

Spot

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

The_Barnacle
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #13 - May 13th, 2020 at 4:39pm

It is a legitimate issue that satire is now being removed from social media because it falls under the banner of "fake news"

I've noticed some have even put a "satire" label on their publications so there is no confusion

The Right Wing only believe in free speech when they agree with what is being said.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #14 - May 13th, 2020 at 4:45pm

The_Barnacle wrote on May 13th, 2020 at 4:39pm:
It is a legitimate issue that satire is now being removed from social media because it falls under the banner of "fake news"

I've noticed some have even put a "satire" label on their publications so there is no confusion

they had no choice... to many trump fans mistook satire for reality Cheesy Cheesy

Our esteemed leader:

IP Logged

Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Reply #15 - May 14th, 2020 at 4:02am

Warning labels on everything nowadays

Wikipedia:
Quote:
The Gateway Pundit is an American far-right news and opinion website. The website is known for publishing falsehoods and spreading hoaxes. The Gateway ...

Gateway pundit is one

Spot

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

SadKangaroo
Gold Member

#FightStupid

Mianjin (Brisbane)
Reply #16 - May 14th, 2020 at 10:15am

Sir Spot of Borg wrote on May 14th, 2020 at 4:02am:
Warning labels on everything nowadays

Wikipedia:
Quote:
The Gateway Pundit is an American far-right news and opinion website. The website is known for publishing falsehoods and spreading hoaxes. The Gateway ...

Gateway pundit is one

Spot

Yet that is a go to source of 2 very loud Trump supporters on here.

Go figure...

IP Logged

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print