Happy Mother's day (Read 1692 times)
UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Re: Happy Mother's day
Reply #15 - May 14th, 2020 at 3:35pm

cods wrote on May 12th, 2020 at 9:28am:
its never too late unsub... how lucky are you to still have your mum and dad with you...

I am glad you have had a change of heart

Mum and Dad are around retirement age. Although I figure I might only have my father for perhaps the next 10 years (at best) he is still around. Mum retires next year. Dad is working part-time to supplement his voluntary early retirement. I don't think he believes his pension is enough.

The next father's day is going to be tough for me to find a gift for Dad. He is a bit of a narcissistic guy who does not really believe in good hygiene. I feel like getting him a book or magazine on men's grooming. But, I figure he does not really read anything more than the newspaper. I will probably get him some aftershave lotion, or something.

IP Logged

Mr Hammer
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #16 - May 14th, 2020 at 4:37pm

I haven't bought Mum a present yet. I've been avoiding the shops lately (for some reason). I did make breakfast  and dinner. Dinner was silverside with steamed cabbage and beans. I also steamed sprouts and fried them off with bacon and apple cidar vinegar. I mixed the mash and the white sauce. I should go on freakin' Masterchef.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #17 - May 14th, 2020 at 5:24pm

UnSubRocky wrote on May 14th, 2020 at 3:35pm:
cods wrote on May 12th, 2020 at 9:28am:
its never too late unsub... how lucky are you to still have your mum and dad with you...

I am glad you have had a change of heart

Mum and Dad are around retirement age. Although I figure I might only have my father for perhaps the next 10 years (at best) he is still around. Mum retires next year. Dad is working part-time to supplement his voluntary early retirement. I don't think he believes his pension is enough.

The next father's day is going to be tough for me to find a gift for Dad. He is a bit of a narcissistic guy who does not really believe in good hygiene. I feel like getting him a book or magazine on men's grooming. But, I figure he does not really read anything more than the newspaper. I will probably get him some aftershave lotion, or something.

dads can be a pain to buy for  it was always socks when I was a kid....now days  we have so much  .. yes get him something daring   some of the mens aftershave are very cool....your mum might appreciate a nice smell for a change..lolol....

dont let age get in the way  many a good  tune played on an old fiddle......I dont think thats right  but I hope you get my drift.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #18 - May 14th, 2020 at 5:24pm

Mr Hammer wrote on May 14th, 2020 at 4:37pm:
I haven't bought Mum a present yet. I've been avoiding the shops lately (for some reason). I did make breakfast  and dinner. Dinner was silverside with steamed cabbage and beans. I also steamed sprouts and fried them off with bacon and apple cidar vinegar. I mixed the mash and the white sauce. I should go on freakin' Masterchef.

sounds good enough you excelled yourself...

IP Logged

Mr Hammer
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #19 - May 14th, 2020 at 5:41pm

I didn't like silverside when I was a kid. It's my favourite now. Funny how tastes change.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #20 - May 14th, 2020 at 6:43pm

cods wrote on May 14th, 2020 at 5:24pm:
dads can be a pain to buy for  it was always socks when I was a kid....now days  we have so much  .. yes get him something daring   some of the mens aftershave are very cool....your mum might appreciate a nice smell for a change..lolol....

dont let age get in the way  many a good  tune played on an old fiddle......I dont think thats right  but I hope you get my drift.

Dad just does not care about how he looks. He has allowed himself to get a foot fungus to the point that I don't bother bringing girlfriends around to meet him. He has this arrogance that he thinks people love him. Or if I have a girl around at my place, he drives them away if he stays too long. One of my short-term girlfriends went out and bought him a jar of Vick's Vaporub and told him to put it on his feet. Apparently, holding her nose in disgust and telling him to undo his hygiene problem is not enough to change his stubborn ways.

Is there a way I can change a person who just does not care?

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #21 - May 14th, 2020 at 10:02pm

UnSubRocky wrote on May 14th, 2020 at 6:43pm:
cods wrote on May 14th, 2020 at 5:24pm:

Dad just does not care about how he looks. He has allowed himself to get a foot fungus to the point that I don't bother bringing girlfriends around to meet him. He has this arrogance that he thinks people love him. Or if I have a girl around at my place, he drives them away if he stays too long. One of my short-term girlfriends went out and bought him a jar of Vick's Vaporub and told him to put it on his feet. Apparently, holding her nose in disgust and telling him to undo his hygiene problem is not enough to change his stubborn ways.

Is there a way I can change a person who just does not care?

You could try telling him "Dad, I've hired you a hooker and said you were old. She said it's fine as long as he doesn't stink", so can you get yourself cleaned up.

The only problem then is when you bring your GF around he's gonna be all like, "hey babe!"

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #22 - May 15th, 2020 at 1:42am

She would be all like "Pharkorff grampa. You still stink". And that would be the end of that.
« Last Edit: May 15th, 2020 at 3:22pm by UnSubRocky »  

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #23 - May 15th, 2020 at 5:31am

ouch! that doesnt sound good..smellie feet  awful...is he on medication?...he sounds depressed and when you get down to a certain level   it is almost impossible to get yourself up again....has your mum spoken to their doctor about him?...you can only guess whats said about him behind his back...I think its more than stubborness..if he is arrogant he  shouldnt be happy about that....

mate because he doesnt care   doesnt mean you have to be the same....seek advice and work with your mum she is probably very down as well...   its tough and its affecting you ,,, not good.

IP Logged

Mr Hammer
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #24 - May 15th, 2020 at 7:56am

Get  everyone to wear the same underpants for a month. Have a stink off. Everytime your Dad complains about the bad funk stripe, complain about the Stilton.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #25 - May 15th, 2020 at 9:56am

hammer you dont mock people at their lowest point and it seems to me this dad is right there....unsub has a problem

IP Logged

Mr Hammer
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #26 - May 15th, 2020 at 10:16am

Believe it or not, Cods, I'm not joking.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #27 - May 15th, 2020 at 10:25am

Mr Hammer wrote on May 15th, 2020 at 10:16am:
Believe it or not, Cods, I'm not joking.

really!..

IP Logged

Sophia
Gold Member

Reply #28 - May 15th, 2020 at 12:22pm

Mr Hammer wrote on May 14th, 2020 at 4:37pm:

Well I’m duly impressed 😁
A male that cooks a nice nutritional meal from scratch, and one of the very few people in the world that likes brussel sprouts 👍
I was beginning to think only moiye that liked them!
« Last Edit: May 15th, 2020 at 12:47pm by Sophia »  

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #29 - May 15th, 2020 at 3:30pm

cods wrote on May 15th, 2020 at 5:31am:
ouch! that doesnt sound good..smellie feet  awful...is he on medication?...he sounds depressed and when you get down to a certain level   it is almost impossible to get yourself up again....has your mum spoken to their doctor about him?...you can only guess whats said about him behind his back...I think its more than stubborness..if he is arrogant he  shouldnt be happy about that....

mate because he doesnt care   doesnt mean you have to be the same....seek advice and work with your mum she is probably very down as well...   its tough and its affecting you ,,, not good.

I have taken to wearing vaporub on my feet whenever I go around to my old folks' place. But, it is like showing a commercial for hair care products. My father is a bit of a drunk. Former smoker and all-around redneck/bogan. It has been a difficult upbringing. Some people consider him a bit of a narcissist. He just does not realise that he is not as well-liked as people consider him.

Dad is on medication for diabetes. He thinks that I am about the same as him in terms of diabetes. But, my doctor recently told me my blood sugars are really good. That in spite of having had a lot of alcohol of recent months.

Mum is fairly submissive around Dad. She earns and has earned more than Dad because she works in a white-collar job. But, she does not seem to be pushing Dad to get his hygiene up to speed.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print