Happy Mother's day (Read 1675 times)
Ajax
Gold Member

CO2 has never controlled
temperature on Earth

Australia
Happy Mother's day
May 10th, 2020 at 7:48am

To all the mums on here and around the world.

For those that still have mum in this life enjoy her while you can.

For those that have lost mum in this life remember and honour her memory.

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY

1. There has never been a more serious assault on our standard of living than Anthropogenic Global Warming..Ajax
2. "One hour of freedom is worth more than 40 years of slavery &  prison" Regas Feraeos

IP Logged

Sophia
Gold Member

Re: Happy Mother's day
Reply #1 - May 10th, 2020 at 3:15pm

Must come in to say as a mum, thanks Ajax, my kids are going to do Mother’s Day once restrictions are lifted.
Got sent this on my phone messages.

IP Logged

Mr Hammer
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - May 10th, 2020 at 4:02pm

Have a good Mum's day ladies.

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #3 - May 10th, 2020 at 9:57pm

Happy mother's day girls but remember...

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #4 - May 10th, 2020 at 11:51pm

Mum got some chocolates and a magazine from me. It seemed petty. But it is better than what I have got her for Mother's Day in the last 20 years.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - May 11th, 2020 at 7:14am

UnSubRocky wrote on May 10th, 2020 at 11:51pm:
Mum got some chocolates and a magazine from me. It seemed petty. But it is better than what I have got her for Mother's Day in the last 20 years.

and I bet she loved it...so you think we should have a SONS DAY as well unsub?... would that make you happy?..

I received flowers..breakfast and lunch yummo!made for me by daughter...plus some naughty fudge.

I am very happy...

IP Logged

Vic
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne Victoria
Reply #6 - May 11th, 2020 at 7:35am

Said a silent "happy Mother's Day" to Mum, who passed away some years ago.   Was surprised that our three Adult Kids were very early in wishing their Mum the best for the day, usually it is later on in the afternoon when they get around to it!    I surprised her with some genuine UGG boots to replace the ones I gave her some years ago and she also received some very smelly, and beautiful flowers from the boys.       Made a nice roast lamb dinner (shame the lamb wasn't as good as the stuff we send overseas)with all the bits and pieces that go with it - which we happily shared with number one Son who is going through the initial stages of separation from the Narcissist he married.   Loaded the dishwasher, cleaned up, made the coffee - then hinted at retiring to the boudoir to complete the day's events - but we both fell asleep anyway as soon as hitting the sheets.

I think she had a great day.

Football, Meat Pies, Kangaroos and Liberal Lies
Football, Meat Pies, Kangaroos and Liberal Lies

IP Logged

AiA
Gold Member

Reply #7 - May 11th, 2020 at 8:46am

Mother's Day wasn't created to give mothers more love from their children. It was created to empower women at a time when they had very little.

Quote:
If you google the history of Mother’s Day, the internet will tell you that Mother’s Day began in 1908 when Anna Jarvis decided to honor her mother. But “Mothers’ Day”—with the apostrophe not in the singular spot, but in the plural—actually started in the 1870s, when the sheer enormity of the death caused by the Civil War and the Franco-Prussian War convinced American women that women must take control of politics from the men who had permitted such carnage. Mothers’ Day was not designed to encourage people to be nice to their mothers. It was part of women’s effort to gain power to change modern society.
The Civil War years taught naïve Americans what mass death meant in the modern era. Soldiers who had marched off to war with fantasies of heroism discovered that long-range weapons turned death into tortured anonymity. Men were trampled into blood-soaked mud, piled like cordwood in ditches, or transformed into emaciated corpses after dysentery drained their lives away.
The women who had watched their men march off to war were haunted by its results. They lost fathers, husbands, sons. The men who did come home were scarred in body and mind.
Modern war, it seemed, was not a game.
But out of the war also came a new sense of empowerment. Women had bought bonds, paid taxes, raised money for the war effort, managed farms, harvested fields, worked in war industries, reared children, and nursed soldiers. When the war ended, they had every intention of continuing to participate in national affairs. But the Fourteenth Amendment, which established that African American men were citizens, did not include women. In 1869, women organized the National American Woman’s Suffrage Association and the American Woman’s Suffrage Association to promote women’s right to have a say in American government.
From her home in Boston, Julia Ward Howe was a key figure in the American Woman’s Suffrage Association. She was an enormously talented writer, who had penned The Battle Hymn of the Republic in the early years of the Civil War, a hymn whose lyrics made it a point to note that Christ was “born of woman.” Howe was drawn to women’s rights because the laws of her time meant that her children belonged to her abusive husband. If she broke free of him, she would lose any right to see her children, a fact he threw at her whenever she threatened to leave him. She was not at first a radical in the mold of reformer Elizabeth Cady Stanton, believing that women had a human right to equality with men. Rather, she believed strongly that women, as mothers, had a special role to perform in the world.
For Howe, the Civil War had been traumatic, but that it led to emancipation might justify its terrible bloodshed. The outbreak of the Franco-Prussian War in 1870 was another story. She remembered:
"I was visited by a sudden feeling of the cruel and unnecessary character of the contest. It seemed to me a return to barbarism, the issue having been one which might easily have been settled without bloodshed. The question forced itself upon me, “Why do not the mothers of mankind interfere in these matters, to prevent the waste of that human life of which they alone know and bear the cost?”
Howe had a new vision, she said, of “the august dignity of motherhood and its terrible responsibilities.” She sat down immediately and wrote an “Appeal to Womanhood Throughout the World.” Men always had and always would decide questions by resorting to “mutual murder.” But women did not have to accept this state of affairs, she wrote. Mothers could command their sons to stop the madness.
"Arise, women! Howe commanded. Say firmly: “We will not have great questions decided by irrelevant agencies. Our husbands shall not come to us, reeking with carnage, for caresses and applause. Our sons shall not be taken from us to unlearn all that we have been able to teach them of charity, mercy and patience. We, women of one country, will be too tender of those of another country, to allow our sons to be trained to injure theirs.”
Howe had her document translated into French, Spanish, Italian, German, and Swedish, and distributed it as widely as her extensive contacts made possible. She believed that her Women’s Peace Movement would be the next great development in human history, ending war just as the anti-slavery movement had ended human bondage. She called for a “festival which should be observed as mothers’ day, and which should be devoted to the advocacy of peace doctrines” to be held around the world on June 2 of every year, a date that would permit open-air meetings.
Howe organized international peace conferences and American states developed their own Mothers’ Day festivals. But Howe quickly gave up on her project. She realized that there was much to be done before women could come together on such a momentous scale. She turned her attention to women’s clubs “to constitute a working and united womanhood.”
As she worked to unite women, she threw herself into the struggle for women’s suffrage, understanding that in order to create a more just and peaceful society, women must take up their rightful place as equal participants in American politics.

“Jerry, just remember: It’s not a lie … if you believe it.” George Costanza
IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #8 - May 11th, 2020 at 2:01pm

cods wrote on May 11th, 2020 at 7:14am:

and I bet she loved it...so you think we should have a SONS DAY as well unsub?... would that make you happy?..

I received flowers..breakfast and lunch yummo!made for me by daughter...plus some naughty fudge.

I am very happy...

I get a lunch at a restaurant/pub for my birthday. I managed to get that lunch before the closures came into place. Mum never gets a birthday present or Mother's Day present since I was young.

IP Logged

Mr Hammer
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - May 11th, 2020 at 2:12pm

Rocky, why the effort this year?

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - May 11th, 2020 at 2:32pm

UnSubRocky wrote on May 11th, 2020 at 2:01pm:

I am very happy...

I get a lunch at a restaurant/pub for my birthday. I managed to get that lunch before the closures came into place. Mum never gets a birthday present or Mother's Day present since I was young.

I go with hammer why the change this year?...

never buying mum a birthday or mothers day card before......that makes my eyes water.......

that is one very sad post unsub

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #11 - May 11th, 2020 at 8:39pm

cods wrote on May 11th, 2020 at 2:32pm:

I am very happy...

never buying mum a birthday or mothers day card before......that makes my eyes water.......

Hammer/cods,

I saw the grey hairs on my beard last year and decided that I was getting old. I also decided that my parents were getting old, too. Decided to do something for my parents. But, it was only a matter of getting a magazine and some chocolates for Mum. I have no idea what I want to get Dad for his birthday or father's day.

Before this year, I had been a really selfish person for the last 15 to 20 years.

IP Logged

Mr Hammer
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - May 11th, 2020 at 9:04pm

Sure, you mightn't be the world's best gift giver; that by itself doesn't make you selfish.

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #13 - May 11th, 2020 at 9:58pm

Mr Hammer wrote on May 11th, 2020 at 9:04pm:
Sure, you mightn't be the world's best gift giver; that by itself doesn't make you selfish.

I think am but my wife disagrees.

For the wife.

For yo mum.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #14 - May 12th, 2020 at 9:28am

UnSubRocky wrote on May 11th, 2020 at 8:39pm:
cods wrote on May 11th, 2020 at 2:32pm:

I am very happy...

Hammer/cods,

I saw the grey hairs on my beard last year and decided that I was getting old. I also decided that my parents were getting old, too. Decided to do something for my parents. But, it was only a matter of getting a magazine and some chocolates for Mum. I have no idea what I want to get Dad for his birthday or father's day.

Before this year, I had been a really selfish person for the last 15 to 20 years.

its never too late unsub... how lucky are you to still have your mum and dad with you...

I am glad you have had a change of heart

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print