Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print
Petition—shopping aisles for Australian made (Read 2951 times)
Captain Nemo
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Re: Petition—shopping aisles for Australian made
Reply #15 - Apr 30th, 2020 at 9:51am

Shopping aisles?

Be lucky to get half of one aisle.  Sad

The 2025 election could be a shocker.
IP Logged

Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Reply #16 - Apr 30th, 2020 at 10:01am

crocodile wrote on Apr 30th, 2020 at 9:38am:
Sir Spot of Borg wrote on Apr 30th, 2020 at 9:28am:
crocodile wrote on Apr 30th, 2020 at 9:08am:
Sir Spot of Borg wrote on Apr 30th, 2020 at 8:45am:
Well we kinda need to get rid of our dependency on china - just like other countries suddenly finding they are no longer self sufficient

Spot

Don't think so. We export $58 billion more to China than they export to us. You have things arse a peaky.

exporting is well and good but thats food. Where have all our factories gone? No more rag trade. no more car manufacturing etc etc

Spot

So what. We have a comparative advantage in food and minerals and China has a comparative advantage in manufactured items. What's the big deal.

Im just trying to answer the question of why we dont have a lot of aussie made available. We export to china and they import to us. i suspect they are more self-sufficient though.

Spot

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
- edited by some unethical admin - you think its funny? - its a slippery slope
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

crocodile
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #17 - Apr 30th, 2020 at 11:16am

Sir Spot of Borg wrote on Apr 30th, 2020 at 10:01am:
crocodile wrote on Apr 30th, 2020 at 9:38am:
Sir Spot of Borg wrote on Apr 30th, 2020 at 9:28am:
crocodile wrote on Apr 30th, 2020 at 9:08am:
Sir Spot of Borg wrote on Apr 30th, 2020 at 8:45am:
Well we kinda need to get rid of our dependency on china - just like other countries suddenly finding they are no longer self sufficient

Spot

Don't think so. We export $58 billion more to China than they export to us. You have things arse a peaky.

exporting is well and good but thats food. Where have all our factories gone? No more rag trade. no more car manufacturing etc etc

Spot

So what. We have a comparative advantage in food and minerals and China has a comparative advantage in manufactured items. What's the big deal.

Im just trying to answer the question of why we dont have a lot of aussie made available. We export to china and they import to us. i suspect they are more self-sufficient though.

Spot

They're not self sufficient in the goods and services where they have no comparative advantage. Same as us. That's why we export a shitt ton of food and minerals to them.

Very funny Scotty, now beam down my clothes.

IP Logged

Redmond Neck
Gold Member

OzPolitic

ACT
Reply #18 - Apr 30th, 2020 at 11:18am

Captain Nemo wrote on Apr 30th, 2020 at 9:51am:
Shopping aisles?

Be lucky to get half of one aisle.  Sad

Yep !!

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

Cry

BAN ALL THESE ABO SITES RECOGNITIONS.

ALL AUSTRALIA IS FOR ALL AUSTRALIANS!

IP Logged

crocodile
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #19 - Apr 30th, 2020 at 11:19am

Gordon wrote on Apr 30th, 2020 at 9:48am:
I'm totally cool with buying anything from anywhere in the world  when there is no competitive aussie option. Economies of scale etc make sense for production.

Food how ever for me is 99% (aprox) local only. I'll make exceptions for a few specialty items.

An Aussie made isle is a great idea not so people can ONLY buy Australian but to help with that choice.

That's a relatively minor issue. It has more to do with the opportunity cost rather than absolute cost that determines production.

IP Logged

Belgarion
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #20 - Apr 30th, 2020 at 12:35pm

I try to buy Australian whenever possible, locally made is even better and I am willing to pay more for it.  However the big supermarkets don't make it easy. Australian goods are on the top or bottom shelves or otherwise made hard to spot while the foreign crap is front and centre.   Aisles for local goods is great in theory but may be hard to implement in practice as it would mean co-locating all different types, drygoods, meat, dairy etc.  Better to clearly label Australian goods and have them in the most accessible positions.

"I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

Voltaire.....(possibly)

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #21 - Apr 30th, 2020 at 4:47pm

I'm totally cool with buying anything from anywhere in the world  when there is no competitive aussie option. Economies of scale etc make sense for production.

Food how ever for me is 99% (aprox) local only. I'll make exceptions for a few specialty items.

An Aussie made isle is a great idea not so people can ONLY buy Australian but to help with that choice.

I think you have the wrong word, Gordon.  Australia is already an isle - an island continent in fact.  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #22 - Apr 30th, 2020 at 4:51pm

I don't think we need an aisle for australian made

we just need honesty with labelling

It shouldn't show the aussie flag or colours if it's not made in OZ
It should CLEARLY and in large letters say if it's made in Oz, or made from oz products.

Anything made with oz and imported products should not be allowed to advertise as aussie made

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #23 - Apr 30th, 2020 at 5:43pm

Brian Ross wrote on Apr 30th, 2020 at 4:47pm:

I think you have the wrong word, Gordon.  Australia is already an isle - an island continent in fact.  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Wow, thank you Brian. It's truly amazing watching you display your immense intellect. Just one question though, is it an Aussie made Isle?

IP Logged

crocodile
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #24 - Apr 30th, 2020 at 6:17pm

John Smith wrote on Apr 30th, 2020 at 4:51pm:
I don't think we need an aisle for australian made

we just need honesty with labelling

It shouldn't show the aussie flag or colours if it's not made in OZ
It should CLEARLY and in large letters say if it's made in Oz, or made from oz products.

Anything made with oz and imported products should not be allowed to advertise as aussie made

So the John Smith Sauce Co makes sauce from local ingredients except for 1 type of Chilli that won't grow here that he puts 1g of in each vat. John Smith can't put this in the Aussie aisle.

IP Logged

Sophia
Gold Member

Reply #25 - Apr 30th, 2020 at 9:49pm

I reckon half the aisle would by all baby formula! 😁
Me also reckons the Chinese will love that aisle 👍

Remember Scotty saying there’s 3 times the amount of our population of food Australia produces?

So, today I went to Coles to find this high grade sushi stuff that they were supposedly letting into supermarkets at a discounted price because of restaurants being closed.

I asked at the deli, coz I’m looking looking looking... and I ask about it, no one knows what I’m on about. Get asked where did I hear it from.
I said it was on tv. Plus forum I’m on also mentioned it.

Then defeatedly I said, maybe just the inner city supermarkets not for us out here.

So, has anyone seen or bought any such specialty yet?

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #26 - Apr 30th, 2020 at 11:28pm

Newsflash!

Thousands of Australian children are becoming ill from consuming 'imported' foods and drinks. Parents are becoming mentally ill from using 'imported' goods.
Make a good lawsuit.  Wink

...but then there's the problem of 'cars'. We no longer have an 'australian-made' production.  Tongue

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #27 - May 1st, 2020 at 9:33pm

Setanta wrote on Apr 30th, 2020 at 5:43pm:

Wow, thank you Brian. It's truly amazing watching you display your immense intellect. Just one question though, is it an Aussie made Isle?

Funny how you leap to Gordon's defence, Set.  Funny how you won't do the same for me.  Makes me think you have favourites.  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #28 - May 1st, 2020 at 11:23pm

Brian Ross wrote on May 1st, 2020 at 9:33pm:
Setanta wrote on Apr 30th, 2020 at 5:43pm:

Funny how you leap to Gordon's defence, Set.  Funny how you won't do the same for me.  Makes me think you have favourites.  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Where was I defending anyone? I thanked you for your incredibly insightful and educational post and praised your enormous and profound intellect. You didn't answer my question though, is it an Aussie made Isle?

IP Logged

Baronvonrort
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #29 - May 1st, 2020 at 11:43pm

Brian Ross wrote on May 1st, 2020 at 9:33pm:
Funny how you leap to Gordon's defence, Set.  Funny how you won't do the same for me. 

I don't think anyone would defend you Brian.

Must be pretty quiet at your forum I wonder why nobody stays there.  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Leftists and the Ayatollahs have a lot in common when it comes to criticism of Islam, they don't tolerate it.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print