Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 12
Send Topic Print
Is zero an odd or even number or not a number (Read 6224 times)
mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Is zero an odd or even number or not a number
Reply #15 - Apr 26th, 2020 at 12:34am

I was taught it is even because it is divsable by 2.

2 x 0=0

The best explanation i ever got as to why 2 instead of 1 (my teacher was useless and infuriating, a future mathematician boyfriend was more helpful) is pure convention. Parity is determined by groups of 2. Otherwise, it would be significant that any number divided by 0 is also 0.

It's just about pairs.

If you can't be a good example, you have to be a horrible warning.

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #16 - Apr 26th, 2020 at 12:44am

The reason I came to the conclusion it was not even was although I know it can be divided by 2(0/2), unlike any other even numbers you cannot divide 2 by 0. eg: 2/10, 2/6 or 2 over any other even number works but 2/0 breaks. But it seems being divisible by 2 is all that is required.

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #17 - Apr 26th, 2020 at 12:46am

Setanta wrote on Apr 26th, 2020 at 12:44am:
The reason I came to the conclusion it was not even was although I know it can be divided by 2(0/2), unlike any other even numbers you cannot divide 2 by 0. eg: 2/10, 2/6 or 2 over any other even number works but 2/0 breaks. But it seems being divisible by 2 is all that is required.

Yeah. That's pretty much as it was summed up to me. My head exploded until i was told it was mere convention.

But i;ve more a philosopher's mind than a mathematicians. Zero means something else when viewed through that prism.

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #18 - Apr 26th, 2020 at 12:50am

The whole thing is a throbbing reason as to why maths does my head in.

My former boyfriend tried in vain to coax me into seeing the creativity and logic ... i kept tripping over all of the damn rules, which to my mind are often a thin veneer to claim there is logic.

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #19 - Apr 26th, 2020 at 12:56am

I like Maths, was always good at it and it always made sense to me but in this case I should not have thought any further than division by 2 leaving a whole integer. Oh well, it's been a long long time since I was at school. I loved algebra. If there is a god and he has a language, it'd be maths.

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #20 - Apr 26th, 2020 at 12:58am

Setanta wrote on Apr 26th, 2020 at 12:56am:
I like Maths, was always good at it and it always made sense to me but in this case I should not have thought any further than division by 2 leaving a whole integer. Oh well, it's been a long long time since I was at school. I loved algebra.

I really don't like maths but i'm good at the basics. I can do simple sums very quickly in my head but f*ck algebra. F*ck it hard.

Had a bit of an eye for geometry but only up to the level i did. I dropped maths as soon as i possibly could.

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #21 - Apr 26th, 2020 at 1:08am

mothra wrote on Apr 26th, 2020 at 12:58am:
I like Maths, was always good at it and it always made sense to me but in this case I should not have thought any further than division by 2 leaving a whole integer. Oh well, it's been a long long time since I was at school. I loved algebra.

I really don't like maths but i'm good at the basics. I can do simple sums very quickly in my head but f*ck algebra. F*ck it hard.

Had a bit of an eye for geometry but only up to the level i did. I dropped maths as soon as i possibly could.

When we had an exam for our trade maths at Carlisle Tafe I was the only one to get 100% and the only one that didn't use a calculator, which was allowed. I was accused of cheating, I have no idea how I could have cheated though. Still got the 100% on the cert though so they must have realised there really wasn't any way to cheat unless I had the exam papers before the exam and was allowed to bring in a book the answers could have been written in. Still it sucks getting accused.

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #22 - Apr 26th, 2020 at 1:13am

Yeah i've been accused of cheating before. I didn't do year 10 but was accepted into year 11 providing i sat the end of year exams for year 10. I don;t think they expected me to pass, just wanted me to evidence that i could apply myself. I topped the class in 3 subjects (maths was not one) , primarily because i had recently crammed and i'm really good at tests.

I was accused of cheating then. Had to sit another exam for history. Aced it so they had to accept it.

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #23 - Apr 26th, 2020 at 2:43am

Even of course - it stands between two odds - 1 and -1 ....   Huh

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #24 - Apr 26th, 2020 at 2:47am

Setanta wrote on Apr 26th, 2020 at 1:08am:

When we had an exam for our trade maths at Carlisle Tafe I was the only one to get 100% and the only one that didn't use a calculator, which was allowed. I was accused of cheating, I have no idea how I could have cheated though. Still got the 100% on the cert though so they must have realised there really wasn't any way to cheat unless I had the exam papers before the exam and was allowed to bring in a book the answers could have been written in. Still it sucks getting accused.

Ha - ha  - first chemistry test at tertiary level I got 100% ...... no study - just knew it all... I regularly ace (100%) many various quizzes... still waiting on Hot Seat ..... been on the list for every quiz show on TV.. never got the invite... must mean something - they're scared.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #25 - Apr 26th, 2020 at 2:49am

I hate pretentious maths - no need for it... what I have a need for I am tops at.  What use do I have in the real world for that kind of thing?  To be a maths teacher?  I can work most such things out using my brains... so unless I want to spend my days as a bored out of the skull teacher of irrelevancies ....   Cool

― John Adams

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #26 - Apr 26th, 2020 at 2:50am

Setanta wrote on Apr 26th, 2020 at 12:44am:

2/0 = infinity..... you surely know that...

― John Adams

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #27 - Apr 26th, 2020 at 5:40am

Zero is a figure given for a number with no numerical value.

IP Logged

Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Reply #28 - Apr 26th, 2020 at 5:50am

its gotta be even

Spot

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
- edited by some unethical admin - you think its funny? - its a slippery slope
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #29 - Apr 26th, 2020 at 7:08am

Setanta wrote on Apr 26th, 2020 at 1:08am:

When we had an exam for our trade maths at Carlisle Tafe I was the only one to get 100% and the only one that didn't use a calculator, which was allowed.

I did a trade at Carlisle Tafe   Undecided

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 12
Send Topic Print