Send Topic Print
Pell walks (Read 12384 times)
NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Re: Pell walks
Reply #300 - Apr 12th, 2020 at 10:42am

Captain Nemo wrote on Apr 7th, 2020 at 11:37am:
For all the difficulties ... I think a jury system where 12 people good and true sit for days hearing evidence and come to a conclusion about guilt or innocence is the best system.

I'd say the fatal flaw in the jury system (as solid as it can be) is that you're asking ordinary citizens to be experts of all kinds.

If the prosecution and the defence doesn't do the 'heavy lifting' (or enough of it) in that respect then a verdict is going to be unsafe.

The fact is mot people in the country and around the world are convinced (with good reason) that churches (and not only the Catholic church... It occurs everywhere including within Hasidic communities), cover up abuse of children... And not only within churches and closed religious communities, but within any organisation where abusers have access to children.

While its not improbable that 95% of those in positions of authority do not, have not and will not ever abuse children, there's always the 5%.

And those 5% no doubt are likely cunning enough to protect themselves against accusers by keeping dirt files on those who don't abuse children, but commit other crimes or misconduct, like cooking the books, theft, involvement in organised crime etc... etc...

Whistle blowing's a tough call when whistleblowers themselves have unclean hands.

Conviction is the art of being certain

IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Reply #301 - Apr 12th, 2020 at 12:22pm

It has been advertised on Sky News today, on WIN, that Pell will appear on The Bolt Report,
this coming Tuesday night.
An interview with Andrew Bolt.

I'm going to watch.

I don't have much respect for the Catholic Church.

But i'm interested in this particular issue.   ......the Pell conviction, on the [solitary] 'evidence', of the accusation of one accuser.

Yadda said....
http://www.ozpolitic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1586218255/25#25
Quote:

There wasn't enough evidence for the jury [the '12 people good and true'], to come to any reasonable and safe decision to convict.

The judge was a complete goose imo, to allow the jury to proceed to any legal 'determination'.

"....And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead."
Luke 16:31

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #302 - Apr 12th, 2020 at 1:04pm

Gnads wrote on Apr 12th, 2020 at 10:22am:
cods wrote on Apr 12th, 2020 at 9:32am:
Gnads wrote on Apr 12th, 2020 at 8:35am:
Belgarion wrote on Apr 10th, 2020 at 1:27pm:
Gnads wrote on Apr 10th, 2020 at 10:22am:
It's not my opinion that he was mentioned in the Royal Commission into Institutional Child Sexual Abuse.

It's not my opinion that he was at the wheel/in charge when covering up for paedo priests & moving them around was happening.

That's a fact.

It is my opinion & that of others that he should be held accountable for that, along with any other church hierarchy & priests that have been a party to those church policies.

Whilst the current church policy of silence, lying & deception which are hardly religious virtues, remains......

then this sort of thing will continue.

Are you an agreeable party to that?

You do not understand how the law works. Pell was on trial for the sexual abuse of two altar boys at a specific time and in a specific place. Nothing else is relevant, including anything you may have read in the media concerning Royal Commissions or anything else.

I understand perfectly.

He was mentioned questioned about his knowledge & deliberate covering up & moving of paedophile preists long before the charges of his own sexual abuse of children against him were ever made & laid.

His was involved in that & was consequentially  mentioned in the Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse which started in 2013.

At least 2 years or more before actual sexual abuse charges against him emerged.

So he should be accountable for that - outside the current case & him winning his appeal against his conviction.

Capisce?

sure! if thats what is appropriate   ANOTHER TRIAL...

its the law...got nothing to do with Pell...

he may well have DELIBERATELY covered up  ,,

but to me he was more likely  following the orders from the Vatican ... in those days the church was far more important..

It's got everything to do with him.

It's aiding & abetting a crime.

So you're still making excuses for him like the blind faithful. Roll Eyes

wrong...

it would need  a separate trial : Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes how hard uis that to understand..

I have no blind faith as you call is I am not a catholic...

I thought his trial was a shocker.. even I could see so much wrong with it...it wasnt a fair go.....I am talking about the justice not the man....

I dont seriously know if he is guilty or not of the crime he was charged with.....I wasnt there.. and I refuse to judge anyone without clear cut evidence   or in this case

beyond reasonable doubt...

which as you have seen    was prove to be wanting... Angry

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #303 - Apr 12th, 2020 at 2:24pm

NorthOfNorth wrote on Apr 12th, 2020 at 10:42am:
Captain Nemo wrote on Apr 7th, 2020 at 11:37am:
For all the difficulties ... I think a jury system where 12 people good and true sit for days hearing evidence and come to a conclusion about guilt or innocence is the best system.

I'd say the fatal flaw in the jury system (as solid as it can be) is that you're asking ordinary citizens to be experts of all kinds.

If the prosecution and the defence doesn't do the 'heavy lifting' (or enough of it) in that respect then a verdict is going to be unsafe.

The fact is mot people in the country and around the world are convinced (with good reason) that churches (and not only the Catholic church... It occurs everywhere including within Hasidic communities), cover up abuse of children... And not only within churches and closed religious communities, but within any organisation where abusers have access to children.

While its not improbable that 95% of those in positions of authority do not, have not and will not ever abuse children, there's always the 5%.

And those 5% no doubt are likely cunning enough to protect themselves against accusers by keeping dirt files on those who don't abuse children, but commit other crimes or misconduct, like cooking the books, theft, involvement in organised crime etc... etc...

Whistle blowing's a tough call when whistleblowers themselves have unclean hands.

Well, I have been there a zillion times and I do not share the same faith some have in Juries.  They are totally unaccountable.  Their privacy is defended, their deliberations in the Jury Room are protected, and no-one may lawfully ask a Member of a Jury what happened in the Jury Room.  Once they are in there, they are a life-changing force of their own, and open to all sorts of the usual interactions between the strong and the weak, those who want to do the job, those who want to go home, those who want to be Sherlock Holmes and those who can't be arsed....and on.

I lost my faith in them many decades ago.  I represented a bloke who was charged with 'dangerous driving causing death.'  There was an underlying charge of 'dangerous driving.'

There was no doubt, and I never put it even into the ring that my client's driving did not cause the death.  It was never up for grabs.  That was a given.

The real challenge was whether what my client did was in Law, dangerous driving.  It really was not, but, it was arguable and left to the Jury.  So, they went to that Room to determine whether my client was guilty of 'dangerous driving causing death.'  It was never in question that what happened caused the death.

Dangerous driving causing death will bring a jail term.  Dangerous driving (no death) is not likely to attract a jail sentence.

So....what did they come back with?

Guilty of dangerous driving simpliciter.  Jayzuz.  I just shook my head in time with the Judge and the Prosecutor.  Just absurd.

So.......please....Juries are well able to go rogue and decide their own system of Justice, no matter how stupid.

IP Logged

Mr Hammer
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #304 - Apr 12th, 2020 at 4:29pm

Cabbie, you have an uncanny knack for missing the point. Cardinal Pell's guilt or innocence is irrelevant. The accuracy of juries is also irrelevant. The point is this;  juries are the backbone of our criminal justice system. Is there dissolution but another thing that happens before our eyes without a whimper? The same goes for immigration. Just another thing the plutocracy can arrange  without the consultation of the majority. I m not surprised you'd be all for it
« Last Edit: Apr 12th, 2020 at 5:34pm by Mr Hammer »  

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #305 - Apr 12th, 2020 at 4:39pm

Yadda wrote on Apr 12th, 2020 at 12:22pm:

It has been advertised on Sky News today, on WIN, that Pell will appear on The Bolt Report,

I'm going to watch.

But i'm interested in this particular issue.   ......the Pell conviction, on the [solitary] 'evidence', of the accusation of one accuser.

Yadda said....
Quote:

There wasn't enough evidence for the jury [the '12 people good and true'], to come to any reasonable and safe decision to convict.

The judge was a complete goose imo, to allow the jury to proceed to any legal 'determination'.

I'm certainly not going to watch Pell making excuses to his sycophant Bolt.

His conviction was squashed it does not mean he's innocent of all misdoings.

Aiding & abetting paedophiles in continuing their criminal sexual abuse of children is also a criminal act IMHO.

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #306 - Apr 12th, 2020 at 4:47pm

cods wrote on Apr 12th, 2020 at 1:04pm:
It's not my opinion that he was mentioned in the Royal Commission into Institutional Child Sexual Abuse.

It's not my opinion that he was at the wheel/in charge when covering up for paedo priests & moving them around was happening.

That's a fact.

It is my opinion & that of others that he should be held accountable for that, along with any other church hierarchy & priests that have been a party to those church policies.

Whilst the current church policy of silence, lying & deception which are hardly religious virtues, remains......

You do not understand how the law works. Pell was on trial for the sexual abuse of two altar boys at a specific time and in a specific place. Nothing else is relevant, including anything you may have read in the media concerning Royal Commissions or anything else.

I understand perfectly.

He was mentioned questioned about his knowledge & deliberate covering up & moving of paedophile preists long before the charges of his own sexual abuse of children against him were ever made & laid.

His was involved in that & was consequentially  mentioned in the Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse which started in 2013.

At least 2 years or more before actual sexual abuse charges against him emerged.

So he should be accountable for that - outside the current case & him winning his appeal against his conviction.

Capisce?

but to me he was more likely  following the orders from the Vatican ... in those days the church was far more important..

wrong...

it would need  a separate trial : Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes how hard uis that to understand..

I thought his trial was a shocker.. even I could see so much wrong with it...it wasnt a fair go.....I am talking about the justice not the man....

I dont seriously know if he is guilty or not of the crime he was charged with.....I wasnt there.. and I refuse to judge anyone without clear cut evidence   or in this case

Well durrrrh ..... I'm not speaking about the trial that convicted him of actual abuse himself, sent him to jail or the current appeal process that has seen his conviction quashed.

After the number of times I've explained that... how hard is it for you to understand?

It has to do all his activities in protecting/covering up for & hiding paedophile priests in new locations where they(under his charge) continued to molest more victims....... for decades.

Pell wasn't the only senior Catholic involved ... you'd see that if you watched Revelations ..... but a lot of them are dead.

So he has a case to answer.

Getting back to your comments about this current conviction & appeal case ....... why do you think his testimony trumps someone elses?

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #307 - Apr 12th, 2020 at 5:31pm

Gnads wrote on Apr 12th, 2020 at 4:47pm:
cods wrote on Apr 12th, 2020 at 1:04pm:

That's a fact.

I understand perfectly.

Capisce?

wrong...

Well durrrrh ..... I'm not speaking about the trial that convicted him of actual abuse himself, sent him to jail or the current appeal process that has seen his conviction quashed.

After the number of times I've explained that... how hard is it for you to understand?

It has to do all his activities in protecting/covering up for & hiding paedophile priests in new locations where they(under his charge) continued to molest more victims....... for decades.

Pell wasn't the only senior Catholic involved ... you'd see that if you watched Revelations ..... but a lot of them are dead.

So he has a case to answer.

Getting back to your comments about this current conviction & appeal case ....... why do you think his testimony trumps someone elses?

he didnt testify... Roll Eyes

now you are not speaking about his latest court trial, Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

but you have already made up your mind that he should be tried because he definitely moved around paedo priests....knowing they were paedos...so he was enabling and abetting  Roll Eyes....is it now a crime to follow the rulings of your employer???.....

I didnt know that!

as for revelations   I did try watching it  didnt finish it...it was very biased the interviewer made no secret of how she felt     I thought that was wrong wrong wrong...

he of course was absolving himself  confessing  like he did......

this is I feel something Pell would also be doing 

as they believe in confessing ones sins  allows them to enter the house of the lord...

whats he got to lose???????...

you hold Pell responsible what about the POPE?

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #308 - Apr 12th, 2020 at 5:36pm

Cods.....the defence that "I did what my Boss asked me to," does not work.

Nuremberg.

IP Logged

Mr Hammer
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #309 - Apr 12th, 2020 at 5:47pm

Why single out the Nazis?

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #310 - Apr 12th, 2020 at 6:42pm

Aussie wrote on Apr 12th, 2020 at 5:36pm:
Cods.....the defence that "I did what my Boss asked me to," does not work.

Nuremberg.

thats why I am saying WHY ISNT THE VATICAN ON TRIAL..

they did make the RULES>..

if Hitler had lived he would have faced NUREMBERG......

he would not have stood alone.....but he would have been held accountable.. this way everyone pays a price accept the VATICAN .. doesnt matter whether pell is in or out of jail...

he has been tried and found!!!!  Roll Eyes

the court of public opinion is plain to see right here....and this is miniscule..compared to what he would receive on line alone...

yet the vatican sails on  basically un tarnished..

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #311 - Apr 12th, 2020 at 6:53pm

Gnads wrote on Apr 12th, 2020 at 4:39pm:
Yadda wrote on Apr 12th, 2020 at 12:22pm:

I'm going to watch.

Yadda said....
Quote:

I'm certainly not going to watch Pell making excuses to his sycophant Bolt.

His conviction was squashed it does not mean he's innocent of all misdoings.

Aiding & abetting paedophiles in continuing their criminal sexual abuse of children is also a criminal act IMHO.

an interesting comment gnads...

no offense but you directed me to watch Revelations more than once......why do you suppose you did that???>>

was that to see this case from another point of view.... Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

yet here you are refusing to do the same thing  because it wont follow your dogma

I do hope you can see the hypocrisy....

you claim I am supporting him..  Roll Eyesbecause I dont fall into line with your concept....

now it looks like you are doing the same thing only accusing him..

Bolt is a Pell supporter.. maybe he is the only one who will give Pell his moment to speak freely... Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

where else can he go?..

IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Reply #312 - Apr 12th, 2020 at 7:08pm

@ Reply #311,

Full marks, to cods.

"....And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead."
Luke 16:31

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #313 - Apr 12th, 2020 at 7:19pm

I think the whole Catholic church has a case to answer for covering up.

As I said from day one - Pell was not charged with any aiding and abetting - he was charged direct with child molestation on flimsy evidence, and was found guilty on emotional grounds.

Governments must move to make aiding and abetting with depraved indifference an offence and chargeable ... in the meantime the Vatican must lay down the law about this interfering with children and what can and should be done to those who do it.

My mother dumped my sister - the one below me - in a Catholic orphanage run by nuns - she was abused for being a 'dirty girl' and has never really got over it... my brother and I were dumped in a Catholic orphanage for boys, and I recall no ill-treatment in any way.  In fact I remember kind nuns and priests... three meals a day and school classes pretty normal, not that being dumped by parents was not distressing - it was... but my mother's mistake was to dump us in a place over the fence from my father's sister's husband's brother's house - and his wife saw us and thought she recognised us.  We were young and didn't know how to get away, and the dormitory windows were barred.

It's a good story if I can ever write it down.
« Last Edit: Apr 12th, 2020 at 7:26pm by Grappler Truth Teller Feller »  

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Mr Hammer
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #314 - Apr 12th, 2020 at 9:29pm

I'd enjoy some 'holiday' reading, Graps.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 ... 36
Send Topic Print