Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Poll closed Poll
Question: Should Day Light Savings (DLS) be removed?
*** This poll has now closed ***

No. I love it.    
  3 (15.0%)
Yes. I hate it.    
  13 (65.0%)
Make it mandatory for all States    
  3 (15.0%)
Have DLS for Qld to keep time with EST    
  1 (5.0%)
Not sure.    
  0 (0.0%)

Total votes: 20
« Created by: Sophia on: Apr 5th, 2020 at 1:31pm »

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Daylight Savings. (Read 1580 times)
John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Daylight Savings.
Reply #30 - Apr 6th, 2020 at 1:42pm

Gnads wrote on Apr 6th, 2020 at 1:40pm:
Jaysus - mandated across the board

then it's no different to changing the clocks.

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #31 - Apr 6th, 2020 at 1:58pm

DLS is an 'over-achiever' that makes a simple thing more complicated than it needs to be. Australia is full of over-achievers making this country more complicated than it needs to be. Look at them now, in times of Crises. People don't need them anymore and go for the more 'efficient' types right now.
You've met that person in the work place. The one that makes the job harder for the rest of the team.

DLS has more problems than benefits. But hey, it gave some guy who came up with it - a job.

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #32 - Apr 6th, 2020 at 7:25pm

John Smith wrote on Apr 6th, 2020 at 1:42pm:
Gnads wrote on Apr 6th, 2020 at 1:40pm:
Jaysus - mandated across the board

then it's no different to changing the clocks.

Yeah it is.... you don't change the clocks

you still have that extra time of light in the arvo

& you're never late for your P&C meeting at 7.30pm.

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #33 - Apr 6th, 2020 at 7:27pm

Jasin wrote on Apr 6th, 2020 at 1:58pm:
DLS is an 'over-achiever' that makes a simple thing more complicated than it needs to be. Australia is full of over-achievers making this country more complicated than it needs to be. Look at them now, in times of Crises. People don't need them anymore and go for the more 'efficient' types right now.
You've met that person in the work place. The one that makes the job harder for the rest of the team.

DLS has more problems than benefits. But hey, it gave some guy who came up with it - a job.

Yes.... the one that's thinks they're re-inventing the wheel

& you've already been there & done that.

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #34 - Apr 6th, 2020 at 8:51pm

cods wrote on Apr 6th, 2020 at 10:46am:
UnSubRocky wrote on Apr 5th, 2020 at 11:18pm:
"Daylight saving" as one advocate for the silly observance told me.

For as long as I work in the food industry, it will slacken business with the sun going down relatively later to the time shown. Most people like their meals at sundown. But, if the sun is still out at 7 pm, they might not want to order until later or if at all.

Any under-16 years old cannot keep out later than 10pm at night. We start them at work by 6pm, they are not allowed beyond 10pm.

what a load of rubbish... the clock is at a different time all round the world.....seriously have you never flown anywhere with a time difference   ????? 

you and your body adjusts to which ever tome zone you go into...

ye gods.

Queensland law do not allow workplaces to keep 15-year-olds working beyond 10pm. If we start someone working a 3-hour shift at 6pm, and we get hit with orders that require a late rush period, we have to hold back the elder staff another half hour or so after close to do the remainder of the cleaning. That might not seem like much for various stores. But when the store earns less than $2 million in sales per year, all the overheads and overtime and food and equipment do add up to a couple hundred per day extra in either wasted extra hourly wages.

And we are not dealing with different time zones just over the border where I live. That is irrelevant to the issue. The point is that you are not going to order your dinner when the sun is still well in the afternoon sky. Heck, I was not going to mow the yard until 5pm yesterday because it was still too hot before then. I doubt very much that people will want to order dinner until at least the sun is lower in the sky.

By the way, to answer your question, I have flown twice. But, I have not left the state. Some people are not as privileged as other people to afford distance travel, or even to do it often.

And I remember the hassles that daylight saving time caused in Qld during the late 1980s and early 1990s. Sure, we can adjust getting up with the sun at 5:30am instead of 4:30am. But it is an annoyance having the sun setting at 8pm and sometimes at 8:30pm during hot summer months. I remember the 8pm sunsets and having dinner after then. I suppose anyone living in Melbourne, Adelaide and Hobart would have it worse being that they are closer to the Arctic Circle than most Australians. But it would not matter to them with those areas being mild of summer.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #35 - Apr 6th, 2020 at 9:06pm

Gnads wrote on Apr 6th, 2020 at 10:55am:
So why have DLS?

There is actually no saving of daylight.

The reasoning is that office workers in SEQld want to have that extra hour of daylight so that they can have a swim at the beach. Otherwise, they want to spend the extra afternoon in the yard having their time to mow their lawns or do whatever afternoon activities that they would usually reserve for their day off/weekend.

The actual "saving" is to do with artificially including a morning daylight hour to become part of the afternoon daylight hours.

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #36 - Apr 7th, 2020 at 10:16am

UnSubRocky wrote on Apr 6th, 2020 at 9:06pm:
Gnads wrote on Apr 6th, 2020 at 10:55am:
So why have DLS?

There is actually no saving of daylight.

The reasoning is that office workers in SEQld want to have that extra hour of daylight so that they can have a swim at the beach. Otherwise, they want to spend the extra afternoon in the yard having their time to mow their lawns or do whatever afternoon activities that they would usually reserve for their day off/weekend.

The actual "saving" is to do with artificially including a morning daylight hour to become part of the afternoon daylight hours.

Umm .... well yeah .. I know what the reasoning is. & stuff the "office" yuppies... they aren't the only workers & definitely more are working differing hours, shift & broken shift work.

The world doesn't revolve around them.

But all that needs to happen is earlier start times for business & schools .....

not the putting clocks ahead an hour so they think they are going to school, work etc. at the usual times.

In fact with schools ... 3pm DLS time is the hottest part of the day(2pm) in summer.

If people actually work around a daily schedule for their lives ..... that so called extra time gets wasted because meals have to be prepared, homework done etc. so kids go to bed at a reasonable hour...... not 10 & 11pm.

In QLD it's daylight/twighlight until 7 pm normal EST time.

Surely if Dad or Mum knock off at 4pm or 5pm that's plenty of daylight time to spend with the kids in the yard in arvo. or where ever.

Surely you can play 18 holes in 2 hours ... you can certainly do 9.

The whinge about aligning business hours on the East Coast is a furphy.

They are aligned until NSW & Victoria cause the problem.

The SE corner of QLD is the problem - Sunshine Coast to Brisbane & Gold Coast.

Ahoy lad .... cast them adrift.

IP Logged

President Elect, The Mechanic
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #37 - Apr 7th, 2020 at 5:31pm

I fuggin luv luv luv DLS.....  Smiley

only old farts don't like it because they get up at 4am each day after going to bed at 7pm..

so they like the sun to be up at that time...

any wonder COVID19 is after them...  Grin

Q

The STORM has arrived
Every Dog Has Its Day...
Dark to Light.
Sheep no more.

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #38 - Apr 7th, 2020 at 5:42pm

Daylight saving was first introduced, like licensing hours in World War One to allow the factories to work longer and to keep the workers out of the pubs.  It worked then and allowed the UK to win World War One.  The extra hour of sunlight was appreciated and it continued on into World War Two and beyond.    Roll Eyes

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #39 - Apr 7th, 2020 at 7:20pm

Brian Ross wrote on Apr 7th, 2020 at 5:42pm:
Daylight saving was first introduced, like licensing hours in World War One to allow the factories to work longer and to keep the workers out of the pubs.  It worked then and allowed the UK to win World War One.  The extra hour of sunlight was appreciated and it continued on into World War Two and beyond.    :Smiley

Grin There is no extra hour of sunlight you ditz.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #40 - Apr 8th, 2020 at 1:12am

President Elect, The Mechanic wrote on Apr 7th, 2020 at 5:31pm:
I fuggin luv luv luv DLS.....  Smiley

only old farts don't like it because they get up at 4am each day after going to bed at 7pm..

so they like the sun to be up at that time...

any wonder COVID19 is after them...  Grin

My late childhood years and just before my teen years were spent with daylight saving experience. I recall going for a drive to the restaurant with the family. It was 7pm and the sun was still out like it was 5pm (non-DLS time April). We all agreed with each other that DLS was a real waste of time when it came to the evening meal times.

I recall before Dad got the back steps covered with shades, Dad had a thing about needing the back door closed to prevent the sunlight blaring in at 6pm. It would be 7pm or even 8pm when the blinding sunlight was shining into the dining room. Back then, the door was left open because we did not have fans or airconditioning to alleviate the heat.

The worst part about daylight saving was the start. The best being when it finished. We got to sleep in an hour at the end of the period. But, we would lose an hour's sleep at the start of DLS.

Even today, I am up until 9pm before I start my meals (unless I have to eat at 3pm before work). But, with the change in time for DLS, I would imagine that trying to get your children in bed for an 8pm bedtime would cause a lot of trouble. "Why do we have to go to bed when the sun is still out?" the children would say.

Oh, the only reason for DLS is to let the privilged 9 to 5 workers have an extra hour in the afternoon to do things that they would otherwise do on their day off. The problem being that most 9 to 5pm workers like to go indoors during their home period. So, it is largely worthless.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print