Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 8
Send Topic Print
How many properties does your local politician own (Read 4632 times)
freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Re: How many properties does your local politician own
Reply #30 - Jan 27th, 2020 at 7:24pm

I am opposed to the FHOG for the same reason I am opposed to this idiotic suggestion that we limit the number of investment properties you can own.

I still do not understand why you appear to believe that providing accommodation is not productive. Or why you expect me to be able to answer all your silly questions.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #31 - Jan 27th, 2020 at 7:32pm

freediver wrote on Jan 27th, 2020 at 7:24pm:
I am opposed to the FHOG for the same reason I am opposed to this idiotic suggestion that we limit the number of investment properties you can own.

I still do not understand why you appear to believe that providing accommodation is not productive. Or why you expect me to be able to answer all your silly questions.

Property has always been classed as a non productive asset. It produces absolutely nothing. Just a roof over someones head.

In August 2021, Newcastle Coroner Karen Dilks recorded that Lisa Shaw had died “due to complications of an AstraZeneca COVID vaccination”.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #32 - Jan 27th, 2020 at 7:35pm

Sir lastnail wrote on Jan 27th, 2020 at 7:32pm:

Property has always been classed as a non productive asset. It produces absolutely nothing. Just a roof over someones head.

Wish the tradies who work at my places got nothing......or a tiny bit less than they do.

IBI

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #33 - Jan 27th, 2020 at 7:36pm

Always by who? Sounds like something you just made up.

Why is a roof over someone's head "absolutely nothing"?

IP Logged

PZ547
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #34 - Jan 27th, 2020 at 7:52pm

Quote:
Australia's 226 federal politicians own a staggering 524 properties
Apr 20, 2017,

Canberra’s 226 MPs and senators own 524 properties between them – an average of 2.4 each – analysis by the ABC has found.
Only 10 federal politicians don’t own property, meaning 96% of the total do, compared to the national average of just above 50%

Business Insider

All my comments, posts & opinions are to be regarded as satire & humour

IP Logged

Bam
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #35 - Jan 27th, 2020 at 8:11pm

freediver wrote on Jan 27th, 2020 at 6:49pm:
Bam wrote on Jan 27th, 2020 at 3:48pm:
freediver wrote on Jan 27th, 2020 at 2:41pm:
Bam wrote on Jan 27th, 2020 at 12:08pm:
freediver wrote on Jan 27th, 2020 at 11:16am:
Carl D wrote on Jan 27th, 2020 at 10:55am:
freediver wrote on Jan 27th, 2020 at 10:50am:
Carl D wrote on Jan 27th, 2020 at 10:34am:
No wonder the idea that was suggested some years ago of allowing people (including pollies) to own ONE residential property and no more than ONE investment property never saw the light of day.

It never saw the light of day because it was a stupid, arbitrary proposal based on petty class jealousy, that would do more harm than good.

Only to the property hoarders and pollies, it would seem.

You are confused. It would increase rental prices, hurting the poorest. It would make investment properties more profitable.

How would it increase rental prices if the property market is zero sum?

It's not as if investors would be selling the properties into a void, never to be seen again. For every seller, there is a buyer.

It would artificially reduce the supply of rental properties, inevitably increasing the price.

You do realise that new houses have to be built constantly to keep up with demand right?

When people who do not understand economics try to mess with the economy to "fix" a perceived problem, they usually end up making it worse. That's why this one never got off the ground. Just too stupid.

You still do not seem to realise that the property market is zero sum.

If it reduces the supply of rental properties, who is buying the properties?
* If owner occupiers buy them, then the number of tenants must also decrease - zero sum.
* If investors buy them, then the number of rental properties does not change - zero sum.

You still need to provide a plausible, rational reason why it would "artificially reduce the supply of rental properties" without also reducing the number of prospective tenants.

Here it is again:

It would artificially reduce the supply of rental properties, inevitably increasing the price.

You're doing it again - stating the exact same claim without offering the slightest bit of supporting evidence. Restating the point is not the same thing as proving your point. You're just making the same claim over and over without offering any proof.

You still need to provide a plausible, rational reason why it would "artificially reduce the supply of rental properties" without also reducing the number of prospective tenants. Just what would be happening to these properties? Who would be buying them, if not investors?

You are not entitled to your opinion. You are only entitled to hold opinions that you can defend through sound, reasoned argument.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #36 - Jan 27th, 2020 at 9:14pm

Quote:
You're doing it again - stating the exact same claim without offering the slightest bit of supporting evidence.

You asked me for a plausible rational argument. Here it is again for the third time:

Do you disagree with any of it, or just not understand it?

IP Logged

Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #37 - Jan 28th, 2020 at 9:56am

freediver wrote on Jan 27th, 2020 at 7:36pm:

So what you are saying is that we can go to any third world country and build a whole lot of houses for the poor people to live in and all of a sudden that will make that country productive and bring them out of poverty ? What exactly will they be exporting to the rest of the world that they couldn't when they were living under a bit of tin ? Or will a dividend cheque magically appear in their letter box ? Cheesy LOL
« Last Edit: Jan 28th, 2020 at 10:27am by Sir lastnail »  

In August 2021, Newcastle Coroner Karen Dilks recorded that Lisa Shaw had died “due to complications of an AstraZeneca COVID vaccination”.

IP Logged

Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #38 - Jan 28th, 2020 at 9:58am

freediver wrote on Jan 27th, 2020 at 9:14pm:
Quote:
You're doing it again - stating the exact same claim without offering the slightest bit of supporting evidence.

You asked me for a plausible rational argument. Here it is again for the third time:

No it won't because every renter that becomes an owner is one less renter Wink

IP Logged

crocodile
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #39 - Jan 28th, 2020 at 2:28pm

Sir lastnail wrote on Jan 28th, 2020 at 9:56am:
freediver wrote on Jan 27th, 2020 at 7:36pm:

So what you are saying is that we can go to any third world country and build a whole lot of houses for the poor people to live in and all of a sudden that will make that country productive and bring them out of poverty ? What exactly will they be exporting to the rest of the world that they couldn't when they were living under a bit of tin ? Or will a dividend cheque magically appear in their letter box ? Cheesy LOL

The export angle is a bit of a red herring. Right here in the land of Oz, domestic demand is 4 times greater than exports. 80% of GDP -> domestic, 20% -> Exports. 3rd world countries have even higher domestic demand. Unsheltered workers don't produce anything.

Very funny Scotty, now beam down my clothes.

IP Logged

crocodile
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #40 - Jan 28th, 2020 at 2:33pm

Sir lastnail wrote on Jan 28th, 2020 at 9:58am:
Quote:

It's not quite that simple. It isn't a zero sum game as yourself and the Bamster allude to. Populations change with migration and fertility rates. Demographics change as offspring leave homes and people separate or cohabit. New dwellings and demolitions rarely coincide with the demographic and population changes.

Very funny Scotty, now beam down my clothes.

IP Logged

Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #41 - Jan 28th, 2020 at 2:35pm

Gordon wrote on Jan 27th, 2020 at 7:35pm:

Wish the tradies who work at my places got nothing......or a tiny bit less than they do.

A piece of tin is much cheaper to maintain Wink

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #42 - Jan 28th, 2020 at 2:38pm

Sir lastnail wrote on Jan 28th, 2020 at 2:35pm:

Tell us about your property buying adventures.

IBI

IP Logged

Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #43 - Jan 28th, 2020 at 2:39pm

crocodile wrote on Jan 28th, 2020 at 2:33pm:
Sir lastnail wrote on Jan 28th, 2020 at 9:58am:
Quote:

It's not quite that simple. It isn't a zero sum game as yourself and the Bamster allude to. Populations change with migration and fertility rates. Demographics change as offspring leave homes and people separate or cohabit. New dwellings and demolitions rarely coincide with the demographic and population changes.

So are you saying all of those rentals that could be put onto the market would stay vacant with no buyers ? Supply and demand remember. With all of those rentals now available to be bought by prospective owner occupiers the prices should drop not increase which is the bullshit that we are always fed Sad

IP Logged

Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #44 - Jan 28th, 2020 at 2:43pm

Gordon wrote on Jan 28th, 2020 at 2:38pm:
Sir lastnail wrote on Jan 28th, 2020 at 2:35pm:

Tell us about your property buying adventures.

Lots of people live in cars too ! Still no dividend cheque for having a roof over your head Wink

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 8
Send Topic Print