Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Working 2.4 Billion Hours Of Unpaid Overtime (Read 377 times)
whiteknight
Gold Member

Australian Politics

melbourne
Working 2.4 Billion Hours Of Unpaid Overtime
Jan 26th, 2020 at 4:32am

Health, relationships and productivity bear brunt of connectivity 'epidemic'   Sad

January 25, 2020
Brisbane Times

When management consultant Francis Baldinu started work in another city, he would return to his hotel room, order takeaway and switch on his laptop again.

The sterility of his Canberra hotel and a lack of nearby cafes or other activities meant there was little to distract him.

Management consultant Francis Baldinu ensures he does not have to work at home.

While technology promises more freedom, it has also wired us to constantly check emails, social media and complete work tasks 24/7. We come to work early, eat lunch at our desks, leave late and then work from home into the night and on weekends.

The latest research shows Australians now do an average of 4.6 hours of unpaid work every week, adding up to more than six weeks over the course of a year. Across the workforce, Australians put in an estimated 2.4 billion hours of unpaid overtime in 2019, worth a total of $81.5 billion, according to the Australia Institute think tank's Centre for Future Work. 

This trend not only challenges work-life balance, the centre's research says it can reduce family incomes and weaken consumer spending in an era of wage stagnation, underemployment and higher cost-of-living pressures. It is now 35 years since the standard working week was reduced to 38 hours in Australia, but the historic progress made during the postwar era "has ground to a halt in the last generation," the report said.

To end what he describes as an epidemic of "time theft", Centre for Future Work researcher Bill Browne says regulators need to enforce rules on maximum work hours and allow people more choice to refuse overtime and to work shorter hours. Individual workers also have a role to play in demanding respect for their right to leisure time.

Which is what Mr Baldinu, 38, did after he realised he was starting to fall into an unhealthy pattern of working on his laptop after hours.

His employer, Ernst and Young, had introduced a new policy that gave him the option of moving out of his hotel and into a more relaxed home setting to encourage a better work-life balance.

He found a place with a kitchen on Airbnb, so he was able to cook his own meals. It was also close to cafes, bars, shops and a gym.

"Because it felt like I was actually living in Canberra, it shifted my mindset to engage more with the city to do more things outside of work. It helped being in a more homely environment. It was a way to mentally switch off," he says.

"That helped me a lot with work-life balance. When I was sitting in my hotel room and working at night and not doing anything else, I was not engaging in life outside work."

After Mr Baldinu made friends in Canberra and started going out at night, he noticed his colleagues kept working at night and ordering takeaway meals in their hotel rooms.

"I had a colleague who would constantly be working into the night and checking emails," he says.

"The nature of corporate jobs is that there will always be something to do. So everybody from the most junior staff to the highest partner could work 24/7."

Since returning home to Sydney last year, he has set strict boundaries and refuses to work from home.

"I try not to associate my home with work. I would rather keep working in the office until midnight if I have a deadline to meet, so I don't open my laptop at home," he says.

"It stops work filtering into my personal life and I feel more productive when I'm [in the office]."

Dubravka Cecez-Kecmanovic from the University of NSW Business School has conducted research on constant connectivity and describes it as an "epidemic" that is causing burnout and mental health problems in the workforce.

"We have seen many cases of people who are burning out and some having a complete nervous breakdown," she says.

Her research paper documents workers who say they are emailing work colleagues at 2am or 3am  and who say they no longer feel like they have a private life. They take their mobile phone everywhere and accept calls "whenever".
Some workers say they are emailing work colleagues at 2am or 3am in the morning and that they no longer feel like they have a private life.   Sad

IP Logged

whiteknight
Gold Member

Australian Politics

melbourne
Re: Working 2.4 Billion Hours Of Unpaid Overtime
Reply #1 - Jan 26th, 2020 at 4:34am

The latest research shows Australians now do an average of 4.6 hours of unpaid work every week, adding up to more than six weeks over the course of a year. Across the workforce, Australians put in an estimated 2.4 billion hours of unpaid overtime in 2019, worth a total of $81.5 billion, according to the Australia Institute think tank's Centre for Future Work.   Sad

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #2 - Jan 26th, 2020 at 4:58am

If the figure is correct - that would be for men, who average over 40 hours a week... so 38 + 4.6 = 42.6... about right today.  Women, on the other hand, average 32 odd hours a week... the exact difference between their average incomes and that of men .. same with their super.

Those figures may have changed a bit, but the principle remains the same...

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

whiteknight
Gold Member

Australian Politics

melbourne
Reply #3 - Jan 26th, 2020 at 5:47am

Why are people working so much unpaid overtime?.   Sad

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #4 - Jan 26th, 2020 at 6:40am

whiteknight wrote on Jan 26th, 2020 at 5:47am:
Why are people working so much unpaid overtime?.   Sad

Because they all put their hands out for Tips and Donations at every turn now.
That's ok. But you'll pay for it in the end when you work American style.

Are you a sell-out to America White Knight?

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

whiteknight
Gold Member

Australian Politics

melbourne
Reply #5 - Jan 26th, 2020 at 7:07am

Well JaSin, every time Iv worked overtime, I have always got the penalty rates.   Smiley

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #6 - Jan 26th, 2020 at 7:15am

whiteknight wrote on Jan 26th, 2020 at 7:07am:
Well JaSin, every time I've worked overtime, I have always got the penalty rates.   Smiley

Well good for you White Knight.
Occassionally I got the odd secretary or Employer's wife or the key to the cabinet.
I remember some Serbian co-workers getting the entire floor out through a whole in a wall.  Wink

You can call me Sir Knight of Nights Wink

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Captain Nemo
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #7 - Jan 26th, 2020 at 12:36pm

I often worked 60 hrs a week but was only paid for 37.5 hrs.

Not happy about it but it was either do it or find another job.  Sad

The 2025 election could be a shocker.
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print