Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
The Myopia Boom (Read 2194 times)
AiA
Gold Member

The Myopia Boom
Jan 25th, 2020 at 11:12pm

"In the early 2000s, when researchers started to look at specific behaviours, such as books read per week or hours spent reading or using a computer, none seemed to be a major contributor to myopia risk. But another factor did. In 2007, Donald Mutti and his colleagues at the Ohio State University College of Optometry in Columbus reported the results of a study that tracked more than 500 eight- and nine-year-olds in California who started out with healthy vision. The team examined how the children spent their days, and “sort of as an afterthought at the time, we asked about sports and outdoorsy stuff”, says Mutti.

It was a good thing they did. After five years, one in five of the children had developed myopia, and the only environmental factor that was strongly associated with risk was time spent outdoors."

"Rose's team tried to eliminate any other explanations for this link — for example, that children outdoors were engaged in more physical activity and that this was having the beneficial effect. But time engaged in indoor sports had no such protective association; and time outdoors did, whether children had played sports, attended picnics or simply read on the beach. And children who spent more time outside were not necessarily spending less time with books, screens and close work. “We had these children who were doing both activities at very high levels and they didn't become myopic,” says Rose. Close work might still have some effect, but what seemed to matter most was the eye's exposure to bright light."

https://www.nature.com/news/the-myopia-boom-1.17120?fbclid=IwAR0V9DHZTpo0s-aFVYX...

“Jerry, just remember: It’s not a lie … if you believe it.” George Costanza
IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Re: The Myopia Boom
Reply #1 - Jan 26th, 2020 at 6:57am

Interesting.

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Mortdooley
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Texas Gulf Coast
Reply #2 - Feb 18th, 2020 at 12:41am

What bullshit, not everyone has perfect vision and as people grow they go through changes including their eyesight. Reading in bad light only causes eyestrain and causes no permanent damage either. Spending more time outside has many advantages but doesn't prevent myopia.

The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left. ~Ecc. 10:2

IP Logged

rhino
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Feb 18th, 2020 at 1:20am

true.

IP Logged

The_Barnacle
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #4 - Feb 19th, 2020 at 3:29pm

Mortdooley wrote on Feb 18th, 2020 at 12:41am:
Spending more time outside has many advantages but doesn't prevent myopia.

The study suggests that spending more time outside does prevent myopia.

The leading hypothesis is that light stimulates the release of dopamine in the retina, and this neurotransmitter in turn blocks the elongation of the eye during development.

The Right Wing only believe in free speech when they agree with what is being said.

IP Logged

sherri
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #5 - Jul 10th, 2020 at 9:20am

Great post, very interesting.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #6 - Jul 10th, 2020 at 7:10pm

Environmental influences 'eyesight'.
Aboriginals (mostly outback ones) are renowned for having great visual spacial reflexes. No 'ball-shy-blink' by them and they became great boxers because of their visual reflex. Mythologist Joseph Campbell has gone into this about 'eyesight' for tribes on plains and in jungles.

People now seem to look like autistic zombies because of all the 'sitting and just staring' at Screens (TV's, Computers) and long driving periods sitting and staring out a windscreen.

These things all do have an effect and influence on consecutive generations under such influences.

There is never only 'one' right answer.

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #7 - Jul 11th, 2020 at 3:13pm

My drinking has lead to me reducing my eyesight. But, it only seems temporary. If I go low sugar dieting, my eyesight restores. It gets even better if I eat kiwi fruit. Kiwi fruit has good macular regeneration properties.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #8 - Jul 13th, 2020 at 9:37am

UnSubRocky wrote on Jul 11th, 2020 at 3:13pm:
My drinking has lead to me reducing my eyesight. But, it only seems temporary. If I go low sugar dieting, my eyesight restores. It gets even better if I eat kiwi fruit. Kiwi fruit has good macular regeneration properties.

Wow. Didn't know that.
I know Margarine, isn't good for eyesight.

I walked past a nude young woman in Autumn on a nice day at the beach. She laughed when I said aloud to her 10m away
"I'm blind! I'm blind!!"
and walked in the water to 'cool off'.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #9 - Jul 14th, 2020 at 4:08pm

Jasin wrote on Jul 13th, 2020 at 9:37am:
UnSubRocky wrote on Jul 11th, 2020 at 3:13pm:

Wow. Didn't know that.
I know Margarine, isn't good for eyesight.

I changed over from margarine to spreadable butter because margarine is not good for the body. It is not that bad. But butter is better. I think I tried to encourage Dad to use butter instead of margarine. Yet, after having to deal with hard butter for a week, Dad got fed up and went back to using margarine.

Any food or drink that promotes fat gain will not be good for the eyesight. I drank a lot of sugary drinks like the alcohol and mixed in the colas. My eyesight got worse inside a week. But, after drinking green tea and eating a few servings of kiwi fruit, my eyesight improved.

I do recall starting diabetes medication back in 2015. After a couple of weeks, my eyesight got much better and I had a bit of trouble with the sunlight. Part of my pupils has this slight cloudy impediment. Having a low sugar diet had meant that the pupils had considerably removed this blockage. I had even felt the pulling sensation of the eyes correcting themselves.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print